The Long Good Friday
The-Long-Good-Friday

The Long Good Friday

1980
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Harold, a prosperous English gangster, is about to close a lucrative new deal when bombs start showing up in very inconvenient places. A mysterious syndicate is trying to muscle in on his action, and Harold wants to know who they are. (imdb)
Criterion ChannelMax Amazon ChannelMax

Good movie, but it didn't interest me very much. I think I'm just generally fed up with gangster movies. I did like parts of it quite a bit. One thing I particularly liked was how the last scene was basically a gangster version of the final scene of The Graduate.
The soundtrack is in your face for no real reason and it takes a while to get going, but it's a pretty fun gangster film. Hoskins is really good and there are some really striking scenes, including the ending, that make up for some of the rough edges.
A really good british gangster film that holds above most in the genre by virtue of Hoskins' and Mirren's performances. Its tight focus on a crime boss's emotional well being while his empire crashes around him makes for a surprisingly thrilling mystery to watch unfold. Tips its cards a little early, but then still packs a couple more twists to throw you off. The score really dates the film, and can be grating to some, but I found it kind of oddly endearing.
Generally considered to be Bob Hoskins' break-out role, and almost 40 years later, it's easy to see why. He sets the tone for every scene he's in and commands the screen with an effortlessness that is absolutely reassuring. And Helen Mirren supports his every nuance. Worthwhile just to watch these two, but there are plenty of other reasons as well, like solid casting and good writing.
Very good thriller that takes the gangster flicks of the 30's and the noir sensibilities of the 50's and places them in the Thatcher-era political/economic climate. The plot unwinds at a satisfactory pace, revealing information at an accelerating rate. Hoskins gives a powerhouse performance, Mirren is fantastic as always. The music is a trifle dated, but I've heard cheesier. All in all, it's a compelling (and entertaining) look at two different kinds of violent underworlds in conflict.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 15 Jul 2006