The Longest Day

The Longest Day

1962
Action

Rated 28 Jun 2007
Highly ambitious in its scope, and checks a lot of boxes in terms of historicity, but also highly contrived and theatrical and kind of wears a dorky grin when it should be horrific. In many war movies of that era the idealized bravery, the reluctance to convey dread, undermined the realism and ended up a macho fantasy of war (just as Westerns of the day were macho fantasies of the old West).
Rated 01 Mar 2011
Seems I'm in the minority who thought this was pretty mediocre. It's not bad, but it tries to do a lot and doesn't succeed at much of it. The 'grand scale' is really just a series of disjointed scenes that are neither intimate to have emotional weight nor grand enough to scope and perspective to the invasion. When you add in some overwritten dialogue and inconsistent acting, I was left seeing a lot of potential but not much realization.
Rated 12 Jan 2013
An important piece of film history that coincidentally has some of the most compelling, beautiful cinematography ever shot.
Rated 20 Sep 2018
A fantastic film from production design but the shadow of it's many stars hang over what should be one of the best war films ever made. A part of this problem is that there is just too much going on for it to all be worthwhile. These are small problems compared to the film as a whole, which is very good.
Rated 18 Jul 2016
The massive scope of covering almost all aspects of the initial hours of D-Day is impressive, if not a little overreaching. Some scenes don't gel and others seem unnecessary altogether. However you are hard pressed to argue the amount of talent involved and to that point the ultimate grand scale retelling of one of history's most important events. It's since been out-shadowed by Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers etc., but I still found it entertaining to this day.
Rated 10 Oct 2009
Classic, very stylish war movie.
Rated 18 Jan 2011
Difficult to judge. As a memorial, this film is top-notch. As an evening of quality entertainment - not so much. The film is essentially a collection of vingettes with each 'star' running his own show. The many points-of-view feel merely like teasers rather than a cohesive whole.
Rated 14 Apr 2015
I have no doubt this film was a great novelty attempting to show both sides of the war earnestly as things unfolded. I can't help but say, though, that it lost me to boredom fairly quickly.
Rated 14 Jan 2013
I appreciated the huge scope, but in the end it's really not much more than a series of vignettes with a common theme. Some work, some just seem miniature showcases for specific actors. It's all a bit too heroic and clean, but that's to be expected considering the release date.
Rated 23 Jan 2013
Really well directed, shot and edited war film that suffers from a cliched and pedestrian script. As was typical of war films at the time, it paints the Allied troops as an unstoppable force and Germans as idiotic baffoons.
Rated 07 Apr 2013
Wonderful sightseeing of famous movie stars of the time and areas where the D-Day actually happened.
Rated 05 Jun 2013
6/6/2013
Rated 28 Jun 2013
A tremendous achievement.
Rated 01 Dec 2013
Way too one-sided.
Rated 17 Jan 2014
I saw this in school, when I was about 12 years old. Despite it's length I wasn't bored for a moment. Of course I had heard about WW2 before, but this was the first time I learnt about the actual war tactics, the fighting and the story behind D-Day. I remember being really excited about it at the time.
Rated 10 Jun 2014
Disjointed and, as to be expected of its time, plays to the stereotypes of the different nations More contemporary films have succeeded in capturing the truth and chaos of the day but still a classic piece of film making.
Rated 14 Jul 2014
USA #1
Rated 26 Jul 2012
shows excellent war scenes from the invasion of normandy during the WWII
Rated 13 May 2015
Nice theme music but the film itself is very dated.
Rated 14 Oct 2015
Putting the Hun on the run
Rated 23 Nov 2015
Rated 07 Jun 2017
D-Day as seen through American, British, German, and French eyes, most of whom are played by stars. Today it seems uneven; the script and acting run hot and cold, and as a technical production it's awe-inspiring one moment and clunky the next. Still, once the actual invasion gets underway, it's pretty engaging, and Paul Anka's theme song is guaranteed to stick in your head long afterwards.
Rated 04 Jun 2021
I found the multiple viewpoints a terrific way to present the events of one of the most important days in the 20th century. The cinematography is astounding and the realism of the battle scenes impressed me, even half a century later. The only thing that holds it back from perfection is some forced dialogue that tries to wax poetic when it should just let the events speak for themselves.
Rated 05 Jun 2022
Seemingly one of the last of the swords-and-sandals epics updated for (then-)modern times. Enjoyable ensemble of stars, although I was starting to wonder how many odd pairings we'd get (would Connery ever meet up with Wayne?). The vignettes made it feel more real, but there were so many that few seemed to have any payoff. Oddly, the Criterion Channel didn't have foreign subtitles, so I do feel like I missed half the movie. The taking of Ouistreham was what I'll most remember.
Rated 13 Jun 2022
Difficult to rate.
Rated 01 Mar 2024
This is a great movie, first class in every way (with the exception of bad greenscreen shots in one of the first scenes which must have been a reshoot or something). It's biggest strength (managing to capture the scale of it all, the hugeness of the logistical challenges and variety of stories) is also to some degree its only significant weakness, as it's somewhat difficult to get really attached to any of the individual stories since it's so macro and the screen time must be spread so many ways
Rated 28 Mar 2009
FOR A WAR MOVIE MADE IN THE 60'S IT IS GREAT. I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS MOVIE.
Rated 02 Apr 2007
Now this is an epic for you. Hellacious movie
A war classic
Classic war movie. The story of D-Day.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Mandatory viewing for every European and American.
Rated 23 Aug 2007
My favorite war movie. An excellent ensemble cast with too many moments to mention where any one of them shine. Perhaps my favorite John Wayne role as well. Top Notch.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
A classic war movie that chronicles one of the most important battles in World War II.
Rated 31 Oct 2007
great classic war movie!
Rated 30 Apr 2008
While some of the acting is somewhat dated (I just have never been able to appreciate John Wayne, to be honest), a lot of the stylistic touches make it great. I dug how they used the POV of a German attack plane as a segue from a scene at one beach to another. Oh! The bagpipes! And the sluggish way the paratroopers move, making you feel the humidity and... yeah, a pretty good movie. Best part: the German troops aren't shown as comic book supervillains, just dudes on the other side of the fence.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
Good ol war movie.
Rated 15 Nov 2012
Top badass moment? There were plenty of heroes in this movie, but the real badass ones are those that actually took part in this event for real. Yes, even the American ones. Ironically, modern Germany is light years away from the one depicted in this film, whereas some of us still think we're fighting the war and running an empire. Losers. No cats, decapitations or chainsaws.
Rated 20 Jun 2010
I am yet to see a war movie who would be engaging without strong, well developed characters. Sure, in this film we get to see more acting stars than it's possible to count on fingers of both hands, but this film isn't about characters, it's about D-Day. Impressive massive action scenes and I would recommend it for everyone who is into war movies, but if you, like me, are on the fence about war movies, you should be careful about its runtime of 3 hours.
Rated 24 Dec 2010
Extraordinarily noisy war spectacular, enjoyable as a violent entertainment once one has caught all the threads, but emotionally unaffecting because every part is played by a star.
Rated 29 Dec 2010
Great Movie
Rated 05 Apr 2011
Spends far too much time pre-invasion with soliloquys from the major characters about how important and how this invasion is such a pivotal moment in their time. I loved it when I was a kid, but after studying the invasion, its mildly entertaining.
Rated 10 May 2011
Saving private Ryan looks like the cruelest blood shed after this one. A bit romanticized and funny looking, at times, story about how the world was saved to the Allies.
Rated 17 Jun 2011
Really good WWII movie, definitely worth a watch.
Rated 08 Nov 2011
Various moments of inspired cinematography don't make up for its heartless and procedural nature. There are no characters worth caring about. Only shots. And considering its focus on D-Day/Normandy beach, it has in some ways been rendered obsolete by the legendary Saving Private Ryan.
Rated 21 May 2012
don't watch it for any of the individual names in it because you wont see much of any of them, but it is one of the better WWII movies of the sixties.
Rated 17 Mar 2007
Very good, but some scenes come off a little corny and there's some pretty awkward acting at points ("It's true! [glance over shoulder]"I heard it from a guy in F Company!" [glance over shoulder]).