The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Sauron's forces have laid siege to Minas Tirith, the capital of Gondor, in their efforts to eliminate the race of men. The once-great kingdom, watched over by a fading steward, has never been in more desperate need of its king. But can Aragorn (Mortensen) answer the call of his heritage and become what he was born to be? In no small measure, the fate of Middle-earth rests on his broad shoulders. (New Line Cinema)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2003
Fantasy

Rated 24 Feb 2007
A great end to a near perfect adaption of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm still amazed at how well these all turned out. Fantastic costumes, sets, CGI, acting, score, cinematography, everything. This trilogy will be watched for decades to come.
Rated 22 Apr 2016
An epic success, and a masterfully entertaining final installment to the trilogy. Like all great fantasies, this one leaves you with the sense that its wonders are real, and its dreams are palpable.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
The finale to the trilogy is yet another epic. Can be watched over and over again. I don't even want to know how many times I have watched this. Performances, scenes, camera work, music, direction, editing and anything else you can praise about a movie is perfect here. "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy are movies I'll look back on and be glad I was 'there' for them.
Rated 04 Feb 2009
J.R.R. Tolkien was a linguist and a creator of worlds, Peter Jackson is a storyteller. The entire story was told better on screen than in the books themselves which in my opinion has rarely been done.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Peter Jacksons achievement in bringing LOTR to the big screen just cannot be underestimated, and this final chapter is the finest of the lot. As such a big fan of the books there are many things that niggle at me in all three films, and there are parts Jacksons direction that I'm not overly keen on. But at the end of the day, for over 10 hours Jackson brings us almost faultless fantasy adventure action, and this film is its excellent climax. A true achievement in cinema.
Rated 10 Aug 2009
Enough of the "too many endings!" complaint. Anyone who can't wait another 10mins for full resolution after investing 10 hours in these characters is watching the wrong film series. This chapter is best, in large part because the ending is just so satisfying. There are few sights in all of cinema as cathartic as the collapse of Barad-dûr. It's the only installment where the Extended Cut weakens the film, ruining the pacing and spoiling key reveals. Mortensen is freaking awesome in these films.
Rated 29 Aug 2018
Extended version in the theater. After 4 hours I wanted to extend something: my middle finger. In this cut, the movie would be better split into two films. The crazy thing is that the first film would basically be The Two Towers repeated. I waited almost twelve hours to see a bunch of hobbits not bow to anybody. Best takeaway this time was the king pulling Liv Tyler out of the crowd and laying a kiss on her. Commoners not in the know must've been like, "So he's going to be THAT kind of a king."
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Doesn't have to be said. Epic. Not just a buzz term, either. Perfect, PERFECT capper to the trilogy.
Rated 31 Jul 2011
Jackson proved himself a masterful director with this grand production, excelling both with still unrivaled set-piece action scenes (the battle at Minas Tirith is as sweepingly magnificent as they come), character direction and overall storytelling. Everything is concluded satisfyingly (the endings are important and completely earned), the grievances (the gratingness of Gimli, unintentionally ridiculous orcs) few. Quite the achievement, worthy of Tolkien's tale.
Rated 27 Apr 2010
An awesome ending to arguably the greatest trilogy on celluloid. I can't say enough how well the whole series flowed and even though all the movies are 3 hours long you are immersed the entire time. By this point you are so attached to these characters that you feel everything that happens to them in your gut (which gives credit to actors, director, writers). I didn't cry but I came very close.
After having spent, what, seven hours establishing the world of Middle Earth, Peter Jackson finally gets to pay it all off, and he does it in epic fashion. Return of the King is not without its flaws, but it makes up for them by being grand and extraordinary.
Rated 14 Mar 2010
Epic.
Rated 15 Mar 2008
End damn you, end.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
The Return of the King is the culmination of the greatest trilogy in film history. Everything about it is absolutely fantastic. It makes for one of the most entertaining films in history.
A great story deserves a great ending, and this is the movie that ties the Lord of the Rings together. It's only here, and being able to see everything come together, that it's obvious how staggeringly great and grand this project was.
Rated 24 Feb 2008
A superb ending of this fantasy trilogie. And however some people thought that it was ridiculous sometimes, I thought it was really awesome. LotR gives us everything we'd expected from it, everything we wanted. Superb fighting and actions scenes, humour, a great ending of this wonderfull story, ... You couldn't wish for anything more!
Icing on the cake. Finally, one sequel to rule them all.
Rated 31 Aug 2008
That's a battle.., I'm still impressed about this perfect adaption. It really got the ending it deserved. This will be the best trilogy for a very long time.
This movie is beautiful. Return of the King is a masterfully made film. Some complain about the never-ending ending, but understand that this movie is so great that, for some, it's hard to want it to end. The acting is excellent, the action is grand, and the story has finally come to a perfect end. It was done the way it was meant to be done. Awesome!
Rated 26 Jun 2010
CAUTION DIS MOVI SCAM
Rated 27 Mar 2023
Great finish to THE fantasy adventure series of film history. Wished they'd explored the corruption of the shire etc that justifies Frodo's lack of belonging on return to fully round out the impact of Tolkien's arc, but I guess a happier ending worked too.
Rated 19 Aug 2010
My favorite of the trilogy--it had everything going for it. Great special effects, wonderful cinematography and scenes that had me crying like a baby. Fantastic--a definite must see!
Rated 22 Oct 2008
An amazing masterpiece and a perfect end to a landmark trilogy. This fully deserved all 11 oscars it recieved. In my opinion the best of all the films. Great acting again by every member of the cast. Viggo Mortensen was born to play Aragon, i don't think anyone could have brought the character to the big screen like he did.
Rated 12 Jan 2013
Stunning, amazing piece of film-making. The whole film builds up to that one moment that will decide all... One of the best endings I have ever seen, visually spectacular, emotional, powerful in pretty much every facet, a journey you'll not quickly forget. Amazing soundtrack. Great and satisfying conclusion to, in my opinion, the greatest film-trilogy of all time.
Rated 19 Jan 2007
Not much I can say for this one that I haven't said in the first. Seems a bit all over the place though, whereas the first one is extremely well constructed.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
How many goosebumps can one film give you with its countless awe-inspiring scenes? Jackson's direction is astoundingly affecting and McKellen's & Astin's performances are staggering. This is the example the dictionary gives for the word "epic".
Rated 17 Apr 2012
I could care less how much falling action there is! Every second of this masterpiece is a joyous treat for the mind and the heart. Every battle scene, every monologue, every instance of tenderness, fear, suspense, relief...it's a work of pure cinematic art.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
J.R.R Tolkien's writing could not have been brought to film any better this is truely a masterpiece.
This concluding part of the trilogy manages to bring down the whole series with a terrible resolution. For most films, the principal characters sailing off into the sunset would be an ending. Not this one - it had to cram in some more lingeringly homoerotic beatific smiling. I cannot be the only person whose ass left the cinema seat about five times before the credits actually rolled.
Rated 24 Jul 2009
This, 3rd of the series, is beyond the word awesome or spectacular. I didn't even feel the 3hrs go by. This movie allows you to bend time and space thereby warping you to its end in what you feel as mere seconds.
Asskicking concolusion to a an asskicking trilogy.
Rated 04 Apr 2012
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ends one of the greatest trilogies of all time on a the right "foot". Good acting from the cast, really cool to view and look at, and very well written and directed, much like the rest of Jackson's masterpiece!
Rated 18 Oct 2013
Lays the groundwork perfectly for "Lord of the Rings 3.5: Sam and Frodo Get A Room".
Rated 10 Jan 2010
It's a good wrap up and there are some truly great scenes (everything on Mount Doom, Rohan cavalry charge, etc) but at the same time goddamn does it get goofy. The aspects of PJ that we have come to dislike later on are leaking at the seams here - the only reason it doesn't feel bloated like his post-LOTR stuff is because of the frenetic pace at which he had to cram in all the plot. Lighthouse Sauron, comic villain Denethor, the ghost army, they all could so easily have been done better.
Rated 13 Apr 2008
The best of the series. And not something I would say lightly. I was pleased with this series from the beginning, but most directors would have petered out by now. But this cast and crew not only conclude the story in a spectacular way, they make it *work*. And while, as many have said, there are several endings to this movie, the fact that it's the third of a series means that they had to. Each ending is as important as the last. And they didn't even include all the endings in the book.
Rated 15 Aug 2014
The Return of the King is the third and final instalment in the LOTR trilogy. And as third acts go, this is arguably the best of all time. The first film was the perfect platform, the second followed on and set things up effortlessly, and this finale couldn't of ended anymore epically or fittingly. As a cinematic experience I don't think I've ever seen a film quite like it. The performances, visuals, set pieces and story telling make the LOTR trilogy a truly spectacular cinematic triumph.
Rated 13 Jan 2011
After a while, you're kind of just watching unthinkably gigantic CG armies smush into each other. The battle scenes eventually take on an almost unimpressive mundanity, losing any import they had in the first film of the trilogy. Overstuffed.
Rated 27 Aug 2008
Its execution is so technically perfect, yet it's the emotional core of the storytelling that makes it exceptional. Not only is this a brilliant conclusion to one of the greatest fantasy film franchises of all-time, it also stands alone as one of the finest movies of any genre to ever be produced. From the monumental scale of the sets to the powerhouse performances; from the sweeping musical score to the epic battle scenes... when it comes to film artistry, it doesn't get much better than this.
Rated 11 Sep 2018
The Return of the King has the lowest lows but the highest highs of the trilogy. It's one thing to look this impossibly good and bring a once-thought impossible-to-film fantasy world to spectacular life, it's another thing entirely to deliver this kind of emotional sincerity with the power that it does. To put it quite simply: it's a masterpiece of cinema. With this conclusion, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy has to be in the conversation of greatest achievements in the history of filmmaking.
Peter Jackson's saga built to a carefully planned climax, and the third Rings movie is a jaw-dropping, epic, biblical spectacle from one end to the other. The spotlight-eyed Sauron is a bit literal, but other than that there's nothing to complain about here. The ending might be a little long, but viewed as a capper to an 11-hour saga, I'd say it's just right. Also, giant spider out of fucking nowhere!
Mesmerizing, despite overuse of comic relief
The weakest of the three films, but still fantastic.
Rated 24 Aug 2010
A satisfying end to easily one of the greatest trilogies of all time. Peter Jackson's masterwork.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
The final chapter of one of the greatest film trilogies in American cinema. The best one by far, although it's a little too long and the ending drags on for 20 minutes. Other than that, epic.
Rated 07 Dec 2010
A well-deserving best picture and one of the best movies I've seen. The well realized world and characters of middle earth receive a tremendous pay off in this conclusion to the story. As usual Viggo Mortensen is great as Aragorn and the rest of the cast is no slouch what so ever. Elijah Wood continues in his career defining role of Frodo Baggins and Ian Mckellen is as much Gandalf as anyone could possibly be. Also includes one of the most long and, ultimately, satisfying endings in movies.
Really epic and fun. A strong ending to a strong trilogy.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
Fabulous, epic and tragic conclusion of war in Middle-Earth. LiKED: dramatic elements, cinematography, battle scenes, 'Pippin's singing' scene, musical score. DiSLiKED: -
A great acheivement in moviemaking. I've long been a lover of fantasy fiction, and I never thought I'd see an adapatation that managed to bring that imaginary world onscreen so effectively. The themes are truly epic and the characters truly heroic, but that main battle scene, with its sweeping scope and tiny, personal moments against the backdrop of enormous intense action, imparted a vicarious, physical thrill that I've never experienced in any movie before or since. Fantastic, in every s
The concluding LOTR movie. Many consider it to be the best; I liked it the least of the three, mainly because it was the conclusion of everything, and I thought everything in the movie just led towards its end. I liked the open-ended feel of the other films more; however, this is a total spectacle, and when it all comes together at the end, it's impossible to forget.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
The perfect epic.
Rated 11 Jul 2016
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King prioritizes action over story but concludes its narrative in spectacular fashion.
Good entertainment, all in all.
Rated 21 Jun 2011
The final film in the trilogy. It is the best out of the three in my opinion. The battle scenes and the story connecting them are engrossing and the visual effects are still amazing!
Rated 14 Mar 2010
Completes the story with awesome battle scenes and great acting.
Rated 12 Mar 2011
Such a fantastic payoff to everything we've spent so much time invested in. Incredible action and adventure (the battle scene is unbelievable in its scope), touching scenes of friendship and romance, and a fantastic climax. Very poignant ending, too.
Rated 12 Mar 2008
Great! Beautifully told and very well adapted! Great actors, great production, great story. The battle scenes can tend to last a little longer than I'd like, but still, it's a beautiful conclusion to an epic.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
Somehow Peter Jackson has managed to outdo himself with his third installment of Lord of the Rings here. All the loose ends from the first two are tied up, which is seemingly more and more rare. The adventure and action is incredible as well.
The LOTR movies are a triumph, and managed to create amazing films out of such a beloved text. Though..that ending kind of drags on a bit, doesn't it?
Rated 22 Jan 2012
(Extended Cut) This is a trilogy so consistent in tone and scope that it's hard for me to pick a favorite. They are a truly singular work, which is more than can be said about many other essential trilogies.
Rated 02 Mar 2021
(EX ED) Fact: The lighting of the beacons is the single greatest piece of cinematography ever put to celluloid. And while Gollum tends to grab all the attention, here Frodo finally clicks into place as something other than a wet hen and we see his arch written as clearly as Smeagol's. And more Gandalf, which is always a plus.
Rated 17 May 2011
Visually breathtaking and emotionally powerful, The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King is a moving and satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy.
Rated 31 Jan 2010
A truly captivating epic.
Rated 11 Apr 2020
*reviewing in 2003* Ah, a film trilogy that perfectly represents three novels. Now, if only Peter Jackson were to direct a Hobbit film that was contained in one film, that would be great.
Rated 13 Feb 2011
Jackson kept up the quality of the films to create a magnificent climax.
Rated 31 Oct 2007
Love the book, love the war scenes. Felt like flying with the dragon over the warfield. Amazing movie!
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Great job loved these movies so much.
Rated 15 Feb 2013
Share the load!
Rated 01 Dec 2011
Great acting, great directing, great special effects, and great passion. The best movie of the trilogy by far, and I wish every movie was made with this much care.
Rated 06 Aug 2007
A thrilling conclusion to the best trilogy in film history. Best Picture of 2003.
Rated 29 Apr 2011
An incredible finale to a landmark trilogy.
Rated 08 Sep 2012
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is a fantastic film. It completes a trilogy that is must-see material, and winds up being the best film of the series. It takes no wrong turns, has everything in it that you'll want, and thanks to the previous two films and the events within this one, is an emotional journey. While the whole trilogy is most definitely worth watching, this film, the one to end the series, is the best of the bunch; it's the perfect way to end the trilogy.
Rated 28 Jun 2015
I absolutely love this trilogy, and its finale is by far the most rewarding. Granted, that's not very surprising, but this is an incredibly detailed piece of art with some amazing performances from the entire cast, as well as a brilliant vision from Peter Jackson. I personally prefer the theatrical cuts of these films, as the extended versions get a little long-winded at times; however, I can't deny the incredible storytelling of Return of the King and its masterful direction.
Superb on every level.
Rated 25 Dec 2009
I don't think anybody could argue that the LOTR trilogy isn't good, but if it's not your thing then it gets pretty frustrating just how long these films are. This one in particular should have ended about half an hour before it did. That said, Peter Jackson is definitely one of my favourite directors. A little too epic for my tastes.
Rated 01 Feb 2021
Rewatched this in the form of the extended edition. Although sometimes a bit slow for me, probably due to all the extra scenes, quite the enthralling watch. The battle of Minas Thirith was a highlight for me, remembering that I watched the battle scene with the elephants over and over when i was a child. So much story packed in one film! Really enjoyed this, The CGI felt different from the previous films. although I had a small existential crisis after finishing this.
Rated 29 Jun 2008
Best movie ever!
Quite simply the best film of the new century so far. Operatic in scale and drama, the only false note comes from the hammy performance by John Noble and awkward pacing in the denouement. Rather than the "extra endings" detracting from it as they do now, the entire return to the Shire and epilogue should've been included as a full part of the film--a final chapter, rather than the hurried collection of scenes it has. Everything else is so perfect, I'm willing to forgive that.
Rated 11 Oct 2009
the trilogy top off. Great story. must watch all three (now go read the books!)
Rated 23 Feb 2008
It richly deserves all the acclaim it received. Enough said.
Rated 16 Sep 2019
The most action packed of the three adventures combines thrilling and epic conclusions to all the storylines present and does so in a much a magical manor it's hard to remember a more memorable finale in recent years. Solid once again from a visual stand point as well as from an acting stand point. There is a lot of positive things to stay about this trilogy and this is the epitome of how to end your trilogy on the highest of notes.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
An epic movie. Great scenes, music and the best of the three LOTR movies imo.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
Great movie experience
Rated 01 Oct 2010
very Amazing . too brave full .and the best end for trilogy
Rated 30 Mar 2008
Amazing from start to finish. One of the best movies of all time.
The level of spectacle in the third installment is impressive indeed. And I don't even mind the lengthy coda. And this film contains some of the best emotional moments in the series. But one does get a bit weary of watching battle after battle after battle, CGI armies clashing in frenzies of dismemberment. Sometimes too much spectacle just makes your eyes gloss over after a while. Oh, and Gimli's one-liners are still a source of annoyance, although thankfully he gets fewer chances to utter them.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
Awesome cap to the trilogy.
Brilliant ending to the LOTR trilogy.
Great way to end an awesome trilogy, only thing holding it back is the ending being very off from the book.
Great special effects, visually outstanding, boring as hell. That's my opinion. Deal with it.
Rated 14 Jul 2009
Perfect ending to a perfect trilogy. Quality was definitely maintained. The only thing some people complain about is how long it is. Which can actually be a good thing when you're a nerd like me =)
Highly over rated series of movies. Visually stunning, yes. But I guess I'm one of the few people that thought the series of books was mindless pap. Derivitive drivel. Overly self-important.
Rated 08 Jun 2009
I spent the last 40 minutes of this thing wondering when in the hell it was going to stop. It fades to black more times than Ozzy Osbourne taking an I.Q. test.
Rated 31 May 2009
Peter Jackson's direction is awesome, great storyline, great characters (thanks to Tolkien), great acting...there is nothing to dislike. A very faithful adaptation.
Rated 28 Aug 2009
The whole trilogy is just pornography of the imagination. Nothing is left to the viewer, every single detail is shown, and yet what it's shown falls safely into a total predictability area which won't upset the simple minds of the watching masses. Everything is reassuringly as it should: Elves have long blonde hair, Uruk-hai are like Romero's zombies, Aragorn a macho man with stubble beard. The fair of triteness.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Excellent movie and I never wanted it to end, and it didn't! But I thought the actual ending was weaker than the three or four the preceeded it. Awesome battle but I don't think I liked it better than the battle in the second, just all together this was the best in the series I feel. Not much replay value for any of them though. they're just too long.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
the entire trilogy rocks, i love the massive battles, and the great sceneries..
Rated 17 Apr 2010
Final battles and the challenges for all the characters are brilliantly realised and the ending is glorious.
Rated 25 Aug 2009
Classic story. One of my must won movies. Spring for the extended edition 4 disc set.
Rated 13 Dec 2010
A great mix of fantasy, war and suspense. A must see for all ages.
The brilliant concluding chapter of Peter Jackson's amazing film series. Full of everything a great movie should have, depth of story and character, breathtaking visuals and action, and high drama. Deserved every Oscar it won.