2004
As the entire nation watches the presidential campaign hurtle towards Election Day, one soldier races to uncover the conspiracy behind it -- a conspiracy that seeks to destroy democracy itself. (Paramount Pictures)

2004

Rated 07 May 2011
Amusingly over-the-top, with a premise as absurd in 2004 as it was in 1962, relying on a wholly fallacious "cybernetic" conception of the brain (even if there were also those, all of them inevitably what Vonnegut would refer to as PPs, who believed in, researched, and tried to exploit such a conception). The silly Freudo-Shakespearean connotations seem to suggest the film is really about the dangers of letting women into politics! Intended, perhaps, as a political intervention, doomed to fail.
Rated 07 Feb 2007
I haven't seen the original, but I hope it's better than this, because this doesn't rise very far above mediocrity. The idea behind the conspiracy is interesting, I suppose, but I thought the way it was handled was implausible and silly. Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep are both great, as usual.
Rated 07 Feb 2014
The original Manchurian Candidate's influence can be seen in many Demme films...but not this one. Points for Stockwell hanging his head in shame
Trite, stereotypical, melodramatic characters in an awful script... Even Meryl can't rise from this dreck...
Denzel is fine and, despite this being a remake, The Manchurian Candidate continues to feel like a relevant story. But there is something just a little dull about the proceedings. There's intrigue, but the thrills just aren't there.
a decent thriller that really benefits from Denzel Washington's charisma and Liev Schreiber and Meryl Streep's talent.
Regardless of its worthiness as a remake, it's a pretty good flick in its own right. Denzel commands the screen like no one else.
Rated 29 Nov 2006
Nice effort but no comparison to the original. It really gets confusing towards the end.
Rated 05 Dec 2006
Surprisingly not bad and wholly relevant tale. Not a superior remake, mind you, but one with a surprising amount of humor and weight. Demme has always been a filmmaker of strong intelligence, and this is his finest hour in quite awhile.
Rated 19 Jan 2007
It's nice but I prefer the first one..
Rated 11 Feb 2007
Solid but unspectacular update on the original. Meryl Streep dances between real evil and cartoon villainy, and that's what ultimately makes this just a "good" movie. Denzel is his usual self, Liev Schreiber turns in an excellent performance, but it's Jeffrey Wright who steals scenes.
Rated 22 Feb 2007
Good film.
Rated 19 Oct 2022
I don't think this is bad film, but I am incapable of caring about it.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Another remake not as good as the original.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Not bad, actually.
Rated 10 Apr 2007
Reasonably good. Can't complain too much about this one.
Rated 16 May 2007
Wish I'd seen the original, this one was fantastic.
Rated 26 May 2007
Overrated.
Rated 10 Jun 2007
Good remake.
Rated 11 Jun 2022
Not as stylistically interesting, as well-paced or as satisfying as Frankenheimer's version, but still a decent remake that puts its own spin on the material. Direction and editing plays a solid role here, but too often feels like it's clinging to convention. In both versions, suspension of disbelief is required with the premise, but I found it harder in the case of Demme's take here; somehow its "updated" conspiracy was more of a strain to take seriously. The final act is also a bit bloated.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
While not the classic its predecessor is, this update is well-acted and conjures a chilling resonance.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
Pointlessly bland, very generic remake that really makes no sense at all this side of a Michael Bay movie. Great actors and an occasionally good director, but no story...or anything for that matter...to make something special out of it.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
Just watch the original instead
Rated 04 Aug 2007
Dull. Lacks the original version's scenes of Frank Sinatra unleashing his old man kung fu against a teabagged-up Henry Silva. Watch that one instead.
pointless. just watch the original. all the magic is gone in this one. really just a waste of time.
Pretty cool adaptation, makes you think
Rated 28 May 2014
- 4/29/11
Terrible, pointless film
Totally underrated.
Good, but not as good or feverish as the original...
Denzel... nuff said
Half-acted wasted remake of one of the best Sinatra movies out there.You"ll want to rent out..or better yet buy the the 1962 John Frankenheimer classic.Watch for THE most bone-chilling display of ultimate domineering mothering in Angela Lansbury in cinematic history..you might just thank me later.
Rated 03 May 2022
Kuwait91+meryl+brainwashedtothinkhedeservedmedalofhonorsocouldbepres/braincontrolled+cutchipoutshoulder+triestobitehisout-gotit+mommadekillgf/herdad+friendgirlisFBI+snipes/intomomtoo-trysuicide/friendshoots+fakefootageshooter+lived+thinkbackinkuwaitpicofhisteaminbeachwaterlol 60mommadekillgf/herdad+friendgirlisFBI+snipes/intomomtoo-trysuicide/friendshoots+fakefootageshooter+lived+thinkbackinkuwaitpicofhisteaminbeachwaterlol
Rated 19 Jan 2013
Great, mysterious.
really enjoyed it.
Just about watchable.
Not perfect, but a tense and smart thriller none-the-less, featuring a great performance by the criminally underrated Liev Schreiber.
Doesn't even compare to the original. They change so many weird and unnecessary things... like who shoots who in the climax and just... idk.. a whole bunch of odd things.
A reasonably entertaining update of the original. A little too tame, though.
A great adaption to modern times from the original. Kept the essence of the original but introduced an awesome 21st century plot.
Rated 11 May 2020
Although the ending did not satisfy me 100%, it keeps you on the edge of your seat very well. A well acted, well directed film that doesn't seem like 2 hours.
Rated 20 May 2012
Every move Streep makes, every syllabe Streep utters, is filled with a natural, believable, yet calculated power. Too bad it's not enough to save The Manchurian Candidate.
Suspensful, and thats about it. Characters were ok, the plot wasnt bad, but it did get quite dull.
Good, not great movie. "Enemy of the State" is a much better conspiracy movie. Enjoyable popcorn fare, but don't look too deep you'll see the flaws.
great story, acting, & action
With the original still relevant, I found this remake unnecessary. Regardless, the chance for a good film was there, but just turned out to be another mediocre popcorn flick.
Liev creeps me out. He doesn't help himself with his latest role in the Omen, but this movie is worth a watch on cable or something.
How many times do I have to say it? Remakes are bad ideas. Period.
Rated 09 May 2020
What makes perfect sense for Vietnam Age, fails to do so for the Gulf War. Apart from that, beautiful directing and acting.
a solid film all around
Rated 23 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 01 Sep 2007
The original version of this film with Sinatra, Lansbury, et al, is a far better version of this film; it rates a 70. This one has the conspiracy in Washington as the enemy. The original actually poses a credible enemy that is not American! This is MORE: action, hype, violence, etc. and it's in color. This original has more plot and is better acted and directed.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
Original is much better.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Pretty good remake with a strong cast and decent tension.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
The excellent actings of Denzel Washington and Meryl Stree it guarantees the strange story.
Rated 01 Jan 2019
Well, it isn't the worst remake I've ever seen so that's something. It still requires the very necessary advice: don't bother with this because the original is several orders of magnitude better.
Rated 19 May 2012
Decent, but watch the original instead...
Rated 04 Dec 2007
The Original with Frank Sinatra is Far Superior.
Rated 24 Feb 2008
I was surprised and how Liev Schreiber compared to Denzel Washington, I'd even go so far as to say that I preferred his performance. This is not to say Denzel Washington was bad at all, he was in fact quite good, just that Schreiber was fantastic. The soundtrack perfectly captures the paranoia and the horror and is probably the best aspect of the film. The rest just fails to really impress. It's not bad but it's not great
Rated 28 Feb 2008
Ok, not the best of Denzel.
Rated 17 Mar 2008
Not quite the original tho im a sucker of Liev Schreiber which makes this movie decent.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Tries to be serious, but actually quite unbelievable.
Rated 03 Jul 2008
Denzel being Denzel. Again.
Rated 20 Dec 2017
underwhelming
Rated 16 Apr 2012
Rated 26 Jul 2008
That rare thing - a remake that actually has something interesting to say. Tight and tense thriller.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
Not nearly as brilliant as the original, though still worthwhile.
Rated 21 Sep 2008
good film with good acting. Meryl Streep is fabulous and out of this world
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Pretty good movie, I can't measure it against the original though.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
No where nearly as good or as interesting as the original but still it is decent.
Rated 06 Dec 2008
Solid re-make, but less intense than the original.
Rated 28 Nov 2017
An interesting concept, well acted, and decent pace.
Rated 10 Mar 2012
I have not seen the original (I just moved it to the top of my queue), but I thought this film was pretty good. Demme crafts the film expertly and the acting is very good. Washington, Schreiber, and Streep are all very good. I hope the original can beat this mark.
Rated 26 Mar 2009
Doesn't get my vote.....
Rated 02 Jul 2009
A mediocre remake that really doesn't do anything particularly badly or well.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
I love a good conspiracy theory, and this one has some promise. I've heard the original is far better, but haven't seen it. As a stand alone it's good, but knowing it's a remake I just don't see the relevance.
Rated 27 Jul 2009
Wickedly good!
Rated 11 Sep 2009
Not even close to as good as the original.
Rated 12 Sep 2009
Another totally unnecessary and inferior remake.
Rated 07 Aug 2017
It does little that wasn't done by the original, but Washington and Schreiber are great to watch.
Rated 23 Feb 2012
I have a hard time believing Denzel Washington would run for any office in Manchurian. He wouldn't even run in Canadia.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
A weird thriller, Schrieber owns
Rated 20 Dec 2009
good not great title says it all
Rated 22 Dec 2009
Not a bad remake, as remakes of classics go. I thought they updated the story pretty well.
Rated 01 Jan 2010
Unnecessary remake.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
Meryl Streep you fucking lunatic
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Washington & Schreiber are both pretty good in what is really a mediocre & disappointing remake that seems like a missed opportunity considering the potential of the concept. Strangely Demme lacks the skill to turn this into the suspenseful & intriguing thiller that it so clearly could of been. Much of the direction seems cheap & tacky, & the choice of soundtrack is often irritating. The modern setting and 'war on terror' based plot do not work well either. It's occasionally quite good!
Rated 24 Feb 2015
General rule: the Angela Lansbury version is always better.
Rated 11 Aug 2014
Corporations, not Commies, are the threatening power behind Demme's version. It's suspension of disbelief to conceive of a communist regime change in America, but the indication that corporations may be undermining democracy is as credible as ever in 2004, a year during which more of us went bankrupt than graduated college.
Rated 06 Apr 2010
Alright movie, but they screwed up the plot. Now, groups of people (corporations) take the place of the Communists - probably for ratings. This is disgusting. Communist nations still exist - they could have had Cuba, Venezuela, China, North Korea, and various other nations play the "Manchurians." Instead, the mustache-twisting CEOs of the Manchurian Corporation execute an intricate mind-control operation using their own private capital. Bring back the commie-villains!
Rated 10 May 2010
Demme makes a big mistake early on and needs almost the whole movie to make up for it. Really want to see the original some time.
Rated 27 May 2010
Not a great remake, or even particularly useful against McCain. Watch the original or else watch Homeland.
Rated 06 Jun 2010
not bad for a remake
Rated 24 Jul 2010
Remake of a genuinely great film puts an intriguing, modern spin on the depiction of backroom power brokers but lacks the chilling edge- and starkness- that marked the original.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Denzel is great as always, and Demme can craft a decent thrill.
Rated 07 Jan 2015
Haven't seen the original. Occasionally had an out of place score and was a bit predictable (albeit not as much as I expected). Aside from that it was quite enjoyable and has a great cover of Fortunate Son at the beginning and end.
Rated 20 Oct 2011
"A frightening update to John Frankenheimer's war-as-game scenario-except the battle now is for our very souls." - Keith Uhlich
Rated 03 Feb 2011
I was shocked by how much I liked this film, and by how overlooked it was.
Rated 05 Feb 2011
6-2-2011 great and scary in a way. Showing what a circus us elections are too. Have you already seen ''Enemy of the State'?
Rated 15 Apr 2011
An awful remake of the classic 1962 film, the Manchurian Candidate showcases Jonathan Demme's complete abandon of directorial talent in his highest profile film in over a decade. As a study of how close you can zoom a camera on someone's face, Demme's film succeeds in droves as you can literally count every pore on Denzel Washington and Liev Schriber's faces as they stare aimlessly into the camera for two hours.