The-Mask

Ratings and reviews:

The Mask

1994
Comedy, Crime
Simple, breezy, Tex Avery fun with some decent chuckles. Of all the special effects in the movie, the best is probably Jim Carrey himself.
I have such a boner for Cameron Diaz in this film, seriously hot. What happened? Dumb fun with one of the most hilarious villains ever.
I'm surprised at all the mediocre scores for this movie. It's funny and kinetic as hell, incorporates a comic book noir atmosphere sublimely, and plays perfectly to 90s Jim Carrey's strengths. Ok, the fact that I was 8 when I first saw it probably plays into it, but I like it, goddamnit.
Based on the Dark Horse comic book series and originally conceived as a horror flick, Russell, who gave Freddy Krueger a sense of humor, recast this one as a hellzapoppin' cartoon-action black comedy. Carrey's rubber face is an asset magnified by the breakthrough special effects courtesy of Industrial Light and Magic.
Classic Jim Carey. Fun, and entertaining. Cameron Diaze manages to be amazingly hot in this movie as well.
I was surprised to learn that this movie is in fact as good as I remember it as a kid. The music is surprisingly great, the story is loveable, and Jim Carrey is fully in his right element. It's not perfect by any measure, but it's damn entertaining, particularly for a Carrey fan. It's also one of those films where not only the good guy, but the genericly regular guy gets the girl. Gotta love it.
What a fun movie. No, there's no depth there. No, the acting isn't great. But oh my how joyously delightful this is to see. It's raucous, it's slapstick, it's satisfying. And it's Jim Carrey at his very best. To me, this is the role he was born to play.
Oh Jeni, oh Jeni, oh Richard Jeni. Killing myself over someone mixing this up with Mask and leaving thinking "That Rocky Dennis was a nut"
The dance scene with the cops is hilarious.
Carrey does a marvelous job in this cartoon-style "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" that pays homage to the groundbreaking animated shorts made at Warner Bros. and MGM by Tex Avery and Bob Clampett. Diaz is a real knockout in her first role, even keeping pace with the rubber-legged Carrey in a dance sequence that has to be seen to be believed.
A zany Carrey makes this film fun and enjoyable. The cuban pete scene is hilarious, and the film in general is a solid comedy with some great special effects for the time.
One of those movies that's good because they didn't complicate things -- they put it in Jim Carrey's comedic wheelhouse and let him do his thing.
Put me in stitches as the five year old I was when this first came out. Carrey is really enjoyable, and damn is Cameron Diaz a fox. Will have to watch now that I'm in my early 20s and live for the nostalgia.
The role Jim Carrey was born to play kicks off the second stage of his '94 tour de force. Carrey brings his amazing facial expressions and kinetic energy to this almost live action cartoon. The movie uses the action and music to drive along the laughter rarely slowing down. In addition to the all the laughs, this is the movie where a generation of boys fell in love with Cameron Diaz.
I don't remember why I found this so funny the first time I saw it... it's bad.
Jim Carrey scores with this offbeat comedy
Very dated and uneven, but it does use Carrey's exaggerated comic schtick to good effect - which is to say it fits with the storyline, not that it doesn't get irritating after a while. The f/x were amazing for the time and still hold up reasonably well even now.
There should not be movies like this. Even if it is mildly amusing. It's just wrong.
Jim Carrey when he didn't think he was too good to play the likeable loser with the flailing arms and rubber face. That's all I have to say.
Uh. Hey Cameron Diaz is hot.
The movie isn't all that great, but it is very memorable, and certainly entertaining. Carrey gives his most iconic comic performance (arguable, but I never much liked Ace Ventura, even as a child), and Cameron Diaz used to be incredibly beautiful. She's still nothing to sneeze at but, WOW. The special effects are great, but Carrey's performance powers the film, for better or worse. Dodge the Jamie Kennedy sequel if you value your sanity.
Incredibly, obnoxiously, annoying.
Not bad movie with Jim Carrey. The smart dog was faraway the best actor, unbelievable good, funny and cute.
One of Jim Carey's best comedies (not saying much there I think he's better in a dramatic role).
It's Jim Carrey at his pure, unrestrained Jim Carrey-est, which depending on what you think of the man is either a veary good thing or a very bad thing. On an unrelated note, this film probably has the best acting by a dog that I've ever seen.