The Matrix Resurrections
The-Matrix-Resurrections

The Matrix Resurrections

2021
Sci-fi, Action
Plagued by strange memories, Neo's life takes an unexpected turn when he finds himself back inside the Matrix.
Franchise: The Matrix
TNT
TBS
tru TV
Max Amazon Channel
Max

Once the nostalgia card wears thin, you’re left with cringe-inducing characters played by uncharismatic actors and redundant new plot elements that were either convoluted, embarrassing or just unintentionally laughable. I can’t decide what was worse: How to Train Your Robot Dragon or the leftover transformer from Revenge of the Fallen. Seriously, how the fuck as a producer do you just green light a $175M film like this without snorting cocaine off of a hooker’s anus first, I’m just saying!
[The Analyst steps into frame in a lapis t-shirt, never blinking]: “I am proud to announce that starting today, our new company name is now: Meta. Our Mission remains the same. It’s still about harvesting people, together. Our characters and our visuals, they’re not changing either. But now we have a new North Star, to help bring the Metaverse to life. The dream was always to feel present with the people we care about.“ (Wins ‘Most 2021 Film of the Year Award’ {TM})
A wild, meta, earnest, fascinating, heartfelt mess that isn’t going to be fully understood for years, Lana Wachowski has made the least cash-grabby franchise revival of all time, taking WB’s bux and channelling it into a bombastic story about….well, partly its own creation, but also identity, peace, and more than anything that oh-so-corny power of love to conquer all. Not everything works, and the action is unfortunately unmemorable….but for the most part, this movie SOARS. Expect lots of hate.
Wife (zero knowledge of Western culture): "This was made by different directors than the first three, right?"... Me: "Well no, but.. yes?".... Good summary of this very 2021 film.
The first Matrix had groundbreaking philosophical dialogue on how we perceive reality. But it fit the era as well: as our end of the millennium loner hero became less detached and understood the world around him. This picture revisits those themes and asks how we consume stories and myths--especially ones that're recycled for us. Cinematically it has some of the franchise's best fights, action, and music. And I love the slights towards toxic fanboys and incels. A fantastic return to the source.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 20 Oct 2021