The-Matrix

Ratings and reviews:

The Matrix

1999
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
An excellent action film. Very stylish, with a good (not great but good) plot and great action. Such a shame about the sequels being so lackluster but this film really did set a new standard for action films (at least those made in North America).
"Mind-warp stunts. Techno-slammin' visuals. Mega-kick action." The back of the DVD case would never lie! And in fact, it doesn't - this visually innovative, action-packed masterpiece forever changed special effects. Its dark, stylish, graphic novel-inspired world is as involving as any sci-fi world in cinema, and it has mad kung fu. Of course the sequels didn't measure up, but I don't see anyone rating down Psycho because of Psycho II.
Iconic. The supporting characters are particularly unforgettable: Weaving's Agent Smith, Fishburne's Morpheus, The Pants' Cypher and Foster's Oracle are the stuff of legend. Thematically, it's the paranoid skeptic's wet dream. Part sci-fi pastiche, part revolutionary action cinema, 'The Matrix' is equally fascinating for its dense references and its groundbreaking visuals. And it hasn't dated much in the decade and a half since it came out - it's still as cool and as entertaining as ever.
Mediocre action flick with something extra - pseudu-philosophy. That and the big budget were apparently enough to make it an undeserving recent "classic".
A solid, fascinating, exhilarating piece of action sci-fi that still works like gangbusters over two decades later. For your own sake, skip the sequels.
The action sequences and special effects are riveting, it's got an interesting premise, and the stylization is appealing. But so much of it just sucks. I hate the characters with their air of cool, detached badass-ery, and always stating their lines in that weighty, "permit me to BLOW YOUR MIND" tone. And the dialogue is so damn silly. I found myself bursting out in laughter at all the wrong times. It's a geek fantasy come true. At least it's kinda fun at times, unlike the sequels.
“Woah” me back in 1999. “Woah, how does Morpheus move around with those tiny little sunglasses” 2020.
Next to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, this is my all time favorite movie. I refuse to let the second and third installments ruin this masterpiece for me. I once watched it three times in one day.
The Matrix will blow your mind. This film is one of the first masterpieces to use more than 30 cameras to take one continuous scene. The acting might not be that great but the idea is very original and multi-faced. This is a must see film that will be an example for generations of films to come.
What can I say that hasn't already been said a million times? The only negative thing I can say is that I wish the love story and rebirth were as rich, inventive and fascinating as the rest of the script/film. But come on. The movie's denser (wonderfully so) and richer than any action movie I've seen in decades.
If the "The Kid in Me" cereal campaign had a film, it would be this movie. On a juvenile level, it has a sweet love story, loner heroes, action and special effects that take you to a fantastic world. But the adult part is how genius the Wachowskis mine the Joseph Campbell monomyth. Neo literally refuses a call when handed a mobile! The scenes discussing perception, violence, and destiny could be analyzed for days. Keanu still doesn't get enough praise for his performance. Highly recommended.
Zen hacker saviors rage against conformity in wire-work western showdowns. Its spectacle holds up and the myriad themes are well-explored, although at times it carries the same self-impressed profundity every trenchcoat n' shades conspiracy theorist adopted in its wake (in what weather does that outfit make sense?). Acting is mostly wood or ham and some bits are contrived (the betrayal - why do they all need to be in the matrix?). Exciting though. Stay woke, sheeple.
This is the only movie I've ever seen in the theater 3 times. It's a must see for nerds and underdogs who lack meaning, the paranoid, mentally unbalanced, or special effects junkie. Plus, "the man" is the bad guy.
If you were a teenager/young adult when this movie came out, you were totally mesmerized and completely blown-away. It was, and still is, one of the greatest sci-fi/action films ever created. The plot is inspired, action unique, and the dialogue has worked it's way into the subconscious of anyone who makes pop culture references (redefining everyone's opinion on deja vu). It has been parodied and copied to death since (even by its own sequels), but as a stand-alone film it's a modern classic.
The sequels have succeeded in lowering my opinion of the original, bringing all its worst elements to the front of my mind. Some of the stuff that seemed so profound at the time has lost its power after seeing what the Wachowskis' intentions apparently were all along. But The Matrix is still a very good action/sci-fi movie and it will surely be remembered for many years to come.
This is a generation defining flick. It's a shame that the two sequals taint this movie. Keanu is okay but his part is not the important thing in the movie. The concept itself is what defines the movie. This is not earth shattering stuff - but it is a really good movie.
The beautiful photography and engrossing plot makes The Matrix one of the absolute best movies to come out. Everything from the underlying philosophical themes, as shallow and obvious as they may be, to the stunning action sequences is top notch. There's little to dislike in this masterpiece.
If you're around my age then you probably remember being blown away the first time you watched this. Its style, slickness, and philosophy were so novel that it was a refreshing turn. By now its novelty has long passed, and while many films are nothing without their gimmicks, The Matrix is a genuinely good film at its heart and it's still a lot of fun today. The action sequences are still a bit refreshing in a way - few since can even match them.
The best of the trilogy for keeping the plot as simple as it should be. It all goes downhill from here, folks, so treat The Matrix as a stand-alone joyride of epic proportions.
Lots of fun, and it was a breath of fresh air when I saw it for the first time. Ignore the sequels.
Regardless of lackluster sequels this still stands alone as one of the best movies I've ever seen. The first time I saw this in the theater it blew me away.
Has not aged well at all, many scenes feel almost insultingly pretentious and a lot of the action scenes no longer have the feeling they once had (though the movie shouldn't be faulted for that, pop culture should). It feels like it got too popular too fast and couldn't hold onto long-term stability.
Mysterious, complex, dark, thrilling, phylosophical, thought-provoking, rebeliou and inovative. That's what I'd call the Wachowski's best film yet. So the sequels didn't live up to the hype... Big deal! The Matrix is a modern classic. No red pill needed to know that's the truth.
Wonderfully stylish and thought provoking. Sure, the ideas may not be anything new or groundbreaking, but they're still wonderfully presented and give some depth to a wonderful action movie.
A wonderfully imaginative sci-fi romp with some of the most iconic action scenes in recent film history. Although offputting to begin with, the plotline soon grabs your attention and never lets go until the finale. It does have a few minor flaws, primarily to do with depth, but these are very easy to overlook in the midst of all the action.