The Maze Runner
The-Maze-Runner

The Maze Runner

2014
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape. (imdb)
Franchise: Maze Runner

'The Mace Runner' is the new gritty drama about a teenager who believes he's different and special because he smuggles clubs and pepper sprays. (You see what I did there?) ((Occasionally, when I can't be bothered to write a proper mini-review, I just make up stuff instead... I'm a wild man like that sometimes))
This film fails to answer a lot of key questions, mainly Who, Where, How, and, most inexplicably, What. And yet it's not bad! I'd recommend it, somehow, some way. It starts disjointed and the audience is thrown in to the plot so fast it's difficult to get absorbed, but the acting of the youngsters is good enough to get by. The film also strips away everything for its action sequences, creating genuine excitement and tension that works every time. The ending is barely an ending, though.
Ranking is for a test screening months before release, but I'll be goddamned if I'm watching this shit again to see if they made it any better.
Avoids the common YA adaptation mistake: handing your insignificant teen the keys to the world and saying "you're special, you will save humanity." This is just a bunch of kids in a freaky maze with freaky creatures trying to kill them. That's something I can get behind. Points deducted for the whole ending moving toward (but not quite there) my previously mentioned mistake. Still a pretty decent movie, though.
I really enjoyed this movie! Obviously underdeveloped like most YA novel-movies are these days, but The Maze Runner is actually very well acted and I thought they envisioned this pretty well. Some sharp directing here and there and I can't wait to see what they do for the rest of this series. Worth the watch for sure, even though YA novels should really just stay YA novels.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 14 Jul 2014