The Men Who Stare at Goats
The-Men-Who-Stare-at

The Men Who Stare at Goats

2009
Comedy, Drama
A reporter in Iraq might just have the story of a lifetime when he meets Lyn Cassady, a guy who claims to be a former member of the U.S. Army's First Earth Battalion, a unit that employs paranormal powers in their missions.

For the most part this movie is superbly funny in it's sheer absurdity. Having seen the documentary this is based on, Crazy Rulers of the World, I knew what was fiction and what wasn't (and you'll be suprised by how much isn't fake). However the film's narrative nose-dives during the final act and the final 5 minutes completely fall apart. Still it has some fantastic humour in it that is grounded in reality, believe it or not.
With such a fine cast and a decent premise it botched completely. I was only mildly entertained in the Bridges' psi corps initiation sequence.
It's relatively funny movie that's main plot was not as good as the flashback sub-plot. The cast is really good and in worse hands this film could really have been a stinker. To me it's a movie that I enjoyed but probably won't watch again unless I happen upon it on TV.
Offbeat comedy that chronicles the history of a secret detachment of psychic super-soldiers during the 80s. Jeff Bridges and Clooney are both pretty good, but Kevin Spacey's character was woefully underwritten, he doesn't seem to have any reason for being such a dick. Lots of laughs (including, yes, a man staring at a goat), even if the preachy ending falls with a heavy handed, eye rolling thud. Bonus points to Ewen McGregor for not letting his accent slip once that I noticed.
It's certainly not bad but its mainly funny in a I-see-what-you-did there way. Mainly I was laughing at people telling Ewan McGregor he could be a Jedi. He is! I sat through all three of those films dammit.

Last modified by:metalhankmetalhank on 10 Jan 2020