The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers
The-Most-Dangerous-Man-in

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers

2009
Documentary
"The Most Dangerous Man in America" is the story of what happens when a former Pentagon insider, armed only with his conscience, steadfast determination, and a file cabinet full of classified documents, decides to challenge an "Imperial" Presidency-answerable to neither Congress, the press, nor the people-in order to help end the Vietnam War.
Kanopy

The film is pretty straightforward but manages to touch on a number of themes, many of which resonate with the current situation in the Middle East. What I found most intriguing was the reaction of the public, who seemed more interested in the media spectacle than the actual content of the documents. This movie most definitely brings to mind Fog of War, not just in content, but it also mimics a lot of Morris' techniques. It's even tempting to cry "rip-off", but let's just say "spin-off".
It felt like something you would watch on the Discovery channel on a Sunday afternoon. A pretty interesting story, but the interviews themselves were not very illuminative. I would have had a similar kind of experience if I had just read an article or a book on the Pentagon Papers. The documentary format added nothing here.
Acts as sort of a companion piece to "The Fog of War", looking through the Vietnam struggle through the very specific, and sometimes myopic, lens of Ellsberg's case.
Not an alarmingly great documentary. Intriguing enough to carry it.
As a film release documentary it isn't great. The format it uses lends itself more to a History Channel special (back when the History Channel did history). But the importance of what Ellsberg did is worthy of being told in any format, and this does give considerable insight into the man and why he made the decision to do what he did. Watching it in 2014, I wonder how long before we'll get Most Dangerous Man in America II starring Edward Snowden.

Poster supplied bypolanski28polanski28