The-Mothman-Prophecies
Starz Apple TV ChannelStarzAMC on DemandDIRECTVStarz Roku Premium ChannelStarz Amazon Channel
The Mothman Prophecies

Ratings and reviews:

The Mothman Prophecies

2002
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
A couple of freaky bits throughout the movie (especially the part where Gere's wife comes out of nowhere) but overall the movie just doesn't have a great thriller feel. It's just alright.
Had a potential, but doesn't fullfill it.
Massive kudos for never explaining or showing the Mothman himself (itself?), and leaving it totally in the viewer's head.
I enjoyed this movie so much more than I was expecting to. It's genuinely fucking creepy.
Adheres to the mantra "What you don't see is always more terrifying than what you can see" to mixed results since, well, you don't ever really see anything at all in The Mothman Prophecies, least of all the actual Mothman. An odd movie with a foreboding mood but no resolution or actual moments of terror.
I've seen it and can't remember it - must of been a painful experience.
Imagine, if you will, a creature that is half man, half moth. If that doesn't put you off, imagine this creature: Richard Gere. If you're now convinced that this is the worst movie ever, I'll be fair and say that only one of these is actually depicted in the movie. The other is busy making prank calls...
It's a decent mood setter but there is little to no payoff.
Ostensibly a horror-thriller without much horror or thrills; develops a pretty decent atmosphere of oppressive paranoia thanks to Pellington's unsettling staging and committed performances (I miss living in a world where Bates might suddenly turn up and completely enliven a few scenes in a film). Falls into the trap of regarding fairly silly material with more solemn awe than necessary, and the climactic bridge collapse seems oddly out of proportion with the low-key nature of what precedes it.
Top badass moment? Richard Gere goes house hunting with his wife and they decide to have sex in a wardrobe there, before being disturbed in it by the estate agent asking if they're interested in buying the house. I'm not sure what's most badass, doing that at that age, or the way the estate agent closes the deal. Well okay it's not the latter; I just can't make myself think of an estate agent as badass. I don't think I'd have space in my wardrobe to do that. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
A creepy thriller that poses more questions than it answers.
This is a very strangely made movie, full of odd camera movements and editing choices. Feels very much like a product of its time. Some of the writing isn't great and despite very impressive SPFX in the finale, the ending doesn't feel very satisfying. All that being said, I dug the vibe. It felt like a better Indigo Prophecy mixed with Silent Hill or Twin Peaks. Laura Linney and Richard Gere are both quite good.I'd watch it again, there's clearly more depth to the story than first meets the eye.
The Mothman Prophecies is actually quite entertaining and thrilling in its own way, despite not being the best horror movie out there. Richard Gere is a pretty good lead, and the supporting cast functions as they should. The main gripes I have lie within the film's poorly paced and shoddily written plot, as well as annoying direction, but that's just in terms of technicality. In terms of a movie, it can be a pretty good time.
Hopefully you have a vivid imagination and believe just about anything, because that's pretty much what you get here. The filmmakers try using every bit of camera trickery to try and build mystery/suspense. The whole movie becomes a bit long and dull by the time the conclusion comes. The actors do a fine job with the material they are given.
I...kinda didn't get it. I mean I got it, but I didn't understand whether I was supposed to be afraid, freaked out, enlightened, or just confused. I found myself in a state of all- at different points of the film. That said, I found that I liked it, but didn't necessarily walk away feeling any differently than when I started. Gere and Linney- top notch actors. They kept me watching.
This film makes no sense and the resolution is not worth the wait.
High functioning horror, Gere surprisingly good.
An incoherent pile of crap. Pretty in spots (especially the climactic bridge scenes), but empty of any true emotion.
I expected to like this because it's "my type of movie" and I like Gere. But I didn't. Dense, impenetrable, slow and plodding.
it makes no sence
Pretty good creepy movie
Predictable...
One of the most haunting movies in recent years, explains the mystery and tradgedy of the disaster at Point Pleasant.
An eerie movie but didn't answer most questions that it poses.
Somewhat interesting thriller that could've really been something with a better director and some real actors.