1964
Crime
Kelly, a prostitute, shows up in the town of Grantville, where she engages in a tryst with sheriff Griff... (imdb)

1964
Crime

While I like this film's striking opening and Fuller's ability to balance sordid detail with pathos, there some really clumsy and maudlin scenes that make me roll my eyes.
Rated 15 Oct 2023
I love Sam Fuller. He's all broad, raw emotion and this film's mix of raw violence, sleaze and weird sentimentality makes for the most Sam Fuller you can find for your buck.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
Kind of awful, but certainly memorable.
Rated 28 Feb 2007
A promising opening, good lighting, has an enjoyable flair for the melodramatic, and there's a hell of a twist. But it's still one-dimensional pulp. Godawful dialogue, especially the expositional stuff. The characters are all stock, and at the center is the heart-of-goldiest hooker you ever saw. Most offensive of all is the use of adorable crippled children to tug at the heartstrings.
Rated 06 Jun 2019
love the way this movie rises and falls, like a piece of music, or indeed the changing fortunes of life as we struggle through it. Every harsh, melodramatic note is balanced by a calm, serene melody, so that even when those moments are turned on their head their peace lingers.This could easily have been a movie where so many bad things happen that you finally break and can merely laugh at the pathetic sadism of it. But Fuller avoids that, as does Towers simple, pure performance.
Rated 06 Nov 2018
Well acted and quite provocative for the time. The story itself was a bit uneventful for the first hour and I could've done without most of the scene with the hospital kids. At the hour mark the movie really picks up and gets really engaging.
Rated 25 Feb 2010
I usually hate "this-meets-that" comparisons, but I couldn't help but notice how much this felt like a Sirkian melodrama laced with the qualities of film noir. Beneath quaint suburban artifice rests something perverse and sinister. It suffers from maudlin elements typical of Fuller, but his expert craftsmanship helps the film to rise above.
Rated 11 Jan 2015
grant is right, few worlds are more exciting than fuller's "abnormal paradise".
Rated 26 Oct 2008
revisto em 19 de setembro de 2023
Rated 13 Jun 2008
Strange movie with several wtf-moments. The Nekkid Kiss is definitely not for all tastes, but fans of Fullers blunt nightmare vision will dig it.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
An odd unclassifiable movie. Thoroughly Fuller and thoroughly memorable. Features one of the greatest opening sequences in film.
Rated 15 Feb 2010
A brutal and depraved and unreliable melodrama directed with fierce fucking energy. I dunno quite why, but I thought this was somehow reminiscent of Russ Meyer, only with less boobs and more seriousness; it seems to have some of the same formal playfulness and thematic wickedness. But apart from the brilliant, brilliant opening scene and loads of beautiful and intense close-ups, this wasn't very interesting.
Rated 05 Apr 2013
An oddball noir. It throttles forward with one of the most exciting opening scenes in cinema and it's kept afloat by weird touches like a haunting musical sequence, striking cinematography and an excellent performance from Constance Towers.
Rated 04 Feb 2013
Liked the dynamics of changing but having your past chase you. Well acted and engrossing. The only problem I had was that the last act felt a bit rushed.
Rated 20 Dec 2020
Melodramatic and overwrought in a watchable way.
Rated 14 Sep 2020
"I'm pretty good at popping the cork, if the vintage is right!" As another commenter noted, this really is like film noir re-imagined by Douglas Sirk. Much of it is fascinating; some of it is jarring and just plain weird, like the song Constance Towers sings with the help of the patients of the children's hospital (!). All in all, it's quite entertaining, and rather forward-looking for the time, dealing frankly with some taboo subjects. I'll give it to Fuller--none of the scenes go on too long!
Rated 28 Nov 2020
Another movie that clearly had an influence on David Lynch. Sam Fuller was a unique artist operating within the boundaries of traditional cinema.
Rated 05 Nov 2021
It's fairly obvious Fuller had an opening scene and a few plot points in his mind when he made this; the rest of the movie feels like an afterthought until it briefly hits one of those sequences. Still, it is pretty daring for its time with its treatment of taboo topics, and Towers, while not perfect, outshines everyone else in a complicated role. I'm just surprised Grantville didn't have any public defenders.
Rated 10 Nov 2021
Great opening scene and challenging subjects but this really is a poorly written/directed/acted movie.
Rated 01 Oct 2022
This film managed to achieve a WTF effect with a straightforward story. A compelling narrative that keeps you slightly off balance throughout.
Rated 25 Mar 2024
I know, to avoid confusion, let’s name both white, short brown-haired, clean-shaven, male leads Griff and Grant.
Rated 12 Feb 2014
i'm not entirely convinced with what i wrote before, but i recall this being patriarchal dreck. i have no intention of rewatching anyway, because it was also very boring.
Rated 17 Mar 2011
Great opening, but it eventually spirals out of control into melodrama to the film's great detriment.
Rated 21 Jun 2013
Dominatrix. I loved the Little Child sequence at the hospital.
Rated 28 Sep 2007
Oh boy...more Sam Fuller hokum. And the finale has that embarrassing lurid dated look.
Rated 07 Jan 2018
The craziest part of this film, amongst many contenders, is that it was made in 1964. The strong female lead, the path to redemption, and the shocking twist are all way ahead of their time. Fuller falls on some clunky melodrama at odd times, but the whole of the film is wonderfully done.
Rated 27 Nov 2012
Over the top shock story. In a good way.
Rated 08 Nov 2017
Devastatingly boring.
Rated 08 May 2012
Starts out very promising yet no scene matches the initial one and its very slow and quite boring throughout. Dialogue is weak and the plot is thin. Didn't really care what happened to Kelly either, just bad writing all around. Forgettable.
Rated 27 May 2020
fuller'in zihni bazen ürkütücü geliyor.
Rated 18 Nov 2011
A really bizarre film, it starts brilliantly and has some crazy moments but then soon seems to fall into 50's melodrama... then suddenly takes a left turn that I certainly didn't see coming. Towers is great playing a woman trying to escape noir but finding it in suburbia. Score is not a grade.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
8 // 9 // 7 // 9 // 9 // 6 // 7
Rated 13 Jun 2016
In 1964 the U.S. was in the process of coming out of its shell, after its heavily conservative 1950s, so by American standards the subjects handled by this movie - prostitution and child molestation - were daring (notice the poster selling this as a "shock and shame story"). Unfortunately they aren't handled daringly, and in fact it's a very cheesy, moralistic and forgettable little melodrama that doesn't deserve the pedestal it's been put on.
Rated 29 Apr 2008
Fuller's earnestness gets the best of him here. I admire his trademark technical assault, but the politics here are so basic. "Dark suburbia" was better in Lynch's hands, and the Constance Tower's character is so easily a mouth piece for Fuller. His paternalistic attitude towards sex work is hardly surprising, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. He seems to write women really simplistically, which sometimes works (like in China Gate) but is mostly sucks, as it does here and in Park Row.
Rated 05 May 2013
Melodramatic to a fault with flashes of interesting ideas that help elevate the material. There are genuinely shocking parts that are effective. It's well done because we should expect the worst but the way the story is framed, it feels like when things are going well for Kelly it seems like it will last. At the very least it doesn't seem like the rails will be thrown how they are.
Rated 21 Jan 2012
watched: 2012, 2013, 2020
Rated 15 Aug 2011
Subtlety wasn't Fuller's long suit. Violence starts the picture, with the lead attacking the camera itself. When a criminal decides to go straight, she doesn't just stop committing crimes, she goes all out. And when the bottom gets kicked out of her new life, it isn't just unpleasant, it's downright nasty. You might not like the resulting picture, but Fuller would probably have been annoyed to have made something everyone liked.
Rated 22 May 2007
Ultra-ballsy. Superb. Samuel Fuller hits like a jackboot to the crotch, per usual. At his best (like here) his movies are the closest there's ever been in cinema to the music of Black Flag
Rated 05 Jul 2011
Occasionally the dialogue is weak and blunt, but for the most part it's a very fun film with a couple of interesting surprises.