The Name of the Rose (1986)
An intellectually nonconformist monk investigates a series of mysterious deaths in an isolated abbey. (imdb)
Cast and Information
Directed By: Jean-Jacques Annaud
AKAs: Der Name Der Rose, Le Nom de la Rose
Where to Stream
The Name of the Rose belongs to 28 collections
1. Psychotronic Film and Video Guides (public: moderated by Gregzilla - 38 stars)
2. Netflix Instant (public: moderated by somnivore - 29 stars)
3. IMDb Top 250 Complete (public: moderated by Jorg - 23 stars)
4. Films available in HD (public: moderated by kubricksucks - 12 stars)
5. List: Taschen (public: moderated by KasperL - 6 stars)
6. Filmsite.org - Sex in the Movies, An Illustrated History (public: moderated by afx237vi - 5 stars)
7. Medieval Films (public: moderated by KLucas1983 - 3 stars)
8. 14th century period film (public: moderated by djross - 2 stars)
9. César Award for Best Foreign Film (public: moderated by juandr - 2 stars)
10. DtC Doubling the Canon 2022 Nominees (public: moderated by lineuphere - 2 stars)
11. Stuart Wellington Recommends (public: moderated by lexwhitfield - 1 star)
12. Murder Mystery Films & Miniseries (public: moderated by clouddottir - 1 star)
13. James Horner (composer) (public: moderated by djross)
14. Available on Divicast (public: moderated by Dunstan-xxx)
15. The Leonard Maltin List (public: moderated by wokelstein)
16. Top 3000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (private: fanfic - 5 stars)
17. Unconventional Cinema (private: holsgr - 3 stars)
18. Top 2000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (private: fanfic - 2 stars)
19. chess (private: twisp - 1 star)
20. Isobel Moon's favorites (private: Isobelmoon)
21. 4: Rewatches (private: KasperL)
22. Watched in 2011 (private: dgeiser13)
23. My DVD Collection (private: balseiros)
24. Filmspotting Ratings Project: Week 19 (private: PeaceAnarchy)
25. BF-80 (private: caffe)
26. Films I watched in 2010 (private: jal90)
27. My Movie Collection (private: elhenzo)
28. My ratings (private: tpbradbury)
Browse the full list of collections
Come for the tonsures, stay for the monk sex.
Strange, very satisfying little movie. Wait 'til you find out what the title means
They should make more Eco novels into movies. Especially if they're as well made and cast as this one. Can you imagine Island of the Day Before with even a half-ass director or budget? It'd be fucking fantastic.
An interesting mystery, but pretty bloody, graphic, and unpleasant in places.
I never read the book, so I can't really say if the movie is a good adaption or not, but what I can definitely say is, that this is one of the best mystery thriller of the 80's. Annaud created a dark and uncomfortable ambient, and his actors like Connery, Slater and of course Ron Perlman (as hunchback) are great. A lot better than modern movies like da vinci code or illuminati.
Don't get why this film doesn't get higher ratings. The fact that its distribution was botched in the US at the time may have something to do with it. Annaud had revolutionized "period" stuff in "La Guerre du Feu" by making it all look dirty, savage, unpolished raw and smelly (somehow). He does it again here - all the monks an unbelievable collection of mugs from hell, the damp & cold almost sweat through the screen, the utter misery of the girl - dark ages come to life, literally. Chilling.
Contains one of the 3 hottest monk sex scenes of the 80s.
Very well made period film set way back. There is something about it that is a little bothersome, I don't know though, maybe it's fully intended to be that way. Anyway great acting really carries the rather long movie along.
|Average Percentile 62.34% from 3142 Ratings|