2000
In October 1991, a confluence of weather conditions combined to form a killer storm in the North Atlantic. Caught in the storm was the sword-fishing boat Andrea Gail. Magnificent foreshadowing and anticipation fill this true-life drama while minute details of the fishing boats, their gear and the weather are juxtaposed with the sea adventure. (imdb)

2000

Rated 05 Sep 2019
Has the happiest ending since Reservoir Dogs.
Rated 11 Aug 2007
Paint-by-numbers dreck with terrible dialogue that hits all the familiar plot points and emotional beats. I knew I was in trouble when the ragtag team of working-class heroes cranked up the rock n' roll and had a "gettin' to work" montage. This sinking ship is buoyed only by Clooney's charisma, but even that gets drowned out by Horner's schmaltzy score. And why even bother saying "based on a true story" when at least 80% of it is pure conjecture? The special effects are very convincing,
This is a sappy sack of crap. There are so many contrived moments that are supposed to pull at your heart strings it makes me want to barf. Adding to that the fact that this is supposed to be based on a true story bothers me too, since everything from the point of these guys leaving the harbor is pure conjecture. Great job with the shotgun and the shark, guys.
Overheated melodrama nonsense, with a capable cast mouthing pallid true-story dialogue. A rare Clooney misstep.
Rated 18 Jan 2008
Complete and utter crap.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Great special effects and some good performances in an all right film that is on fine footing in terms of suspense but fails from a dramatic stand point.
Rated 12 Oct 2009
I don't care how big that wave is. It's not worth the hours of horrid melodrama to get there...
Rated 29 Oct 2019
Soggy disaster film gets a passing mark for the terrific action direction of Clooney & co.'s terrifying voyage through the storm, but an overly cluttered landscape dilutes the tension (especially during the "lighter" moments); the behind-the-scenes at the Weather Channel (!) and the simultaneous efforts of the rescue team with *another* boat could have been dealt with in strategic exposition drops. A veneer of cloying sentimentality doesn't help matters, especially in the establishing scenes.
Rated 02 Aug 2011
It is a good cast and has an interesting character development. On the boat, the tragic scenes seem endless and ends not so impactful.
Rated 09 Nov 2014
What starts out slow quickly intensifies when these guys start..fishing. Sigh. Maybe it's the sappy cornball storyline or possibly James Horner's melodramatic score, but I felt like I was watching a blue-collar ocean-bound version of "Apollo 13" (or "Perfect Space").
Rated 05 Apr 2019
Better than I expected in tension and effects. Some of the character introductions are stock and uninteresting (they don't even bother with the black guy), but once on the boat, we're then treated to their varying relationships and how they operate throughout the increasingly hostile sea conditions, resulting in genuine tension that you'd expect from a disaster film. The effects hold up at about 85%, due to limiting the CGI in darkness and combining it with very wet in-camera techniques.
Rated 06 Dec 2006
sucked
Rated 02 Mar 2007
Not bad.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
The fact that this film is based on a true story certainly makes it more interesting than it would have been had it just been a fictional plot, and while this film does deliver in action and acting both from Wahlberg and Clooney, it just feels as though something is missing.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
A great book by Sebastian Junger turns into a mediocre film. Thanks for that, Hollywood.
Rated 26 May 2007
Another Stephen King book.
Rated 02 Jun 2007
Silly. The characters keep talking and talking about how horrible this storm is, and they hype it the best they can with CGI, but ultimately storms aren't really that scary. Plus these fishermen guys, who are supposed to be the "heroes", are all people that you know would decide you're Satanic or something if you used a big word around them six or eight times
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Pretty good. The cast works well together.
Rated 07 Aug 2007
Good enough movie about some guys getting fucked up in a storm.
Largely a special effects film, but one wonders how the story was told if all the crew perished in the storm?
Wolfgang Peterson's film is intensely overwhelming, a tour de force... It makes me never want to be a deep sea fisherman - and I mean never!
A killer ride. Anytime actors are wet for most of the movie, I'm pretty impressed, the continual deluging must have been intense. Many times people said stuff i couldn't understand, if this was the point, well then, fine. Typical slow beginning, plenty of heart wrenching, and rockin' roller coaster waves. I enjoyed this giddy enthusiasm people seem to have for putting themselves in danger.
The scenes of the storm-wracked ship are incredible and frightening, but the writing and the story are pretty maudlin and manipulative, made all the more unbearable by the disgustingly saccharine score.
Pretty crap. And they all die at the end. So what's the point?
The plot depends on a lot of suspension of disbelief, but it's still a pretty exciting disaster flick at times. It doesn't hurt especially that I really like Clooney and Wahlberg as actors. Also, trivia: This was the first movie I ever owned on DVD.
I was hoping for so much more...especially from Mr. Petersen. One film I didn't favor Clooney in.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Not one of Clooney's better film. Waste of time
Rated 18 Aug 2007
great story great example of movie physics
Rated 01 Sep 2007
The book is better but the screen version is very good. I lived in NH when that occurred and the strom was worse than it was forecasted to be - opposite of what usually happens. Good cast and action scenes. The last bit of special effects was overdone but...
Rated 04 Sep 2007
Good
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Bad dialogue is thrown in the mix with some good special F/X and solid acting.
Rated 24 Oct 2007
A great book. A terrible movie.
Rated 08 Nov 2007
I grew hair on my chest watching this.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
entertaining ~ especially if you like disaster tragedies.
Rated 20 Nov 2007
Better when I didn't know it was based off of a true fictional account. You'll see.
Rated 13 Dec 2007
depressingly bad
Rated 20 Jan 2008
Big special effects in a decent disaster flick.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
a real storm outside your window is more fun to watch.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Clooney rawks
Rated 22 Mar 2008
I saw this in the theater and walked out into the sunlight feeling as if I'd just been through a storm. It was that effective. The story has shortcomings but the feelings that Petersen invokes are awesome. He proved with Das Boot he was able to create cinematic atmosphere and continues to prove his abilities here.
Rated 18 Apr 2008
Humbling.
Rated 17 May 2008
The part where he calls out his girlfriend's name was RIDONKULOUS! Do yourself a favor, read the book.
Rated 04 Jun 2008
I went to see this with my mother and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend happened to be a fisherman who is blind in one eye... Right. So the entire movie, we were petrified that this could actually happen to him, any of the times that he went out to sea for a month or so. It made the movie hard to enjoy, but also much more enjoyable - if you can understand. When I finally found appreciation for it, it was much more deep than I could have expected I'd feel about a dumb old fishing movie.
Rated 10 Jun 2008
polite movie about fishermen and they family background and everything... cool movie
Rated 05 Jul 2008
Snorefest.
Rated 11 Jul 2008
Underatted film, think 'The deadlist catch' without the idiot telling us how fucking dangerous it is every two minutes.
Rated 06 Sep 2023
Like ALIEN, this is about a bunch of working-class guys having problems on a ship. But for some reason, no cat. Every bad decision (which in any case seem mostly to be complete fiction) is confusingly accompanied by James Horner’s sentimental uplifting strings. When it gets to the line where someone mentions how there could be “a perfect storm”, it’s almost impossible to believe the filmmakers didn’t immediately realise it should be cut. Mark Walhberg and Diane Lane make an attractive couple.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Sappy movie, but the big wave was awesome.
Rated 03 Sep 2008
100 score... for seascapes alone!!!! All around great film.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Nothing truly memorable, although it is an excellent movie with some good scenes.
Rated 04 Nov 2008
One wishes the script for this adaption of Sebastion Junger's non-fiction book wasn't so "remedial", but it is. That being said, however, this story of a small group of fisherman battling to survive against a hurricane at sea is often harrowing, particularly in its last third, and the special effects are first-rate.
Rated 01 Dec 2008
Fuldstændig ligegyldig og overeksponeret tyskinstrueret klichefilm...
Rated 12 Dec 2008
Boring plot
Rated 28 Dec 2008
Expect a lot of scenes in a boat and a lot of fishing scenes. The final "battle" between man and nature is surprisingly thrilling... even if you know the ending.
Rated 27 Apr 2021
Whilst waiting in line, back in those lovely days before the tragedy of 9/11, to watch this anticipated film two youngsters walked by our queue and one of them said it was "The Perfect Sucky Movie". The other concurred with a laugh. That is my only memory of this movie.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
Interesting effects scenes, but overall not a particularly good film.
Rated 24 Jan 2009
Great movie, but the ending is apparent throughout the movie.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Seen: 2.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Engaging and tense.
Rated 05 Jul 2009
george clooney was tolerable. the jaws shark was more realistic then the 1 in this movie. diane lane barely showed any boobage. boring
Rated 13 Jul 2009
Kinda scary and sad but good overall.
Rated 23 Jul 2009
Well crafted story about hard-headed fisherman in a small village on the east coast.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
[spoiler] This is film about a boat in a storm... there you go, saved you the bother of watching it.
Rated 15 Mar 2020
Maybe this was hurt by the fact that I didn't see it when it was originally released. The early CGI is atrocious and the film relies far too much on it. The characters are equally binary as every time the film tries to develop characters or build emotion it looks just as fake as the digital boat in the texture-less ocean.
Rated 12 Dec 2009
Drenched with special effects and noisy, exciting seagoing action, but its characters and story points are bathed in cliche.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Imperfect movie.
Rated 21 Feb 2010
Cheesy Hollywood fictionalization about some guys who were lost at sea while crabbing. Not all that profound and the special effects were pretty lame at times.
Rated 09 Apr 2010
"Based on a true story...."
Rated 26 May 2010
Boring maudlin manipulative crap. I suppose the drama in the second half is kind of ok, but by that point I'd put up with so much shit that I didn't care about any of these characters at all.
Rated 06 Sep 2010
#00s(e)#, hype, story, (dir Petersen)
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Loses points for the amount of times "a perfect storm" was used in the everyday venacular after this film came out.
Rated 11 Oct 2010
George Clooney even looks good DROWNING!
Rated 26 Oct 2010
Why?
Rated 01 Jan 2011
Good
Rated 02 Jan 2011
Rated 10 Jan 2011
A wholly unnecessary movie, also WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE LOVE INTEREST.
Rated 02 Mar 2011
Everything goes as expected, but it's a good ride, if a bit slow in the bar.
Rated 26 Jun 2011
Never been on a boat in a storm this bad, but I've seen some shit, so movies like this always get me at least a little bit.
Rated 03 Sep 2011
The man versus nature side of the plot is well done; the scenes at sea get progressively more engaging as it reaches the conclusion. However, everything on shore that's supposed to make us emotionally involved with the characters doesn't really work (if the actors weren't good, I probably wouldn't care at all). It could have ended with the big wave, instead of going back to the mediocre personal drama.
Rated 07 Apr 2012
A weak film that tries and fails to pull every single one of the audience's heartstrings in a very formulaic and blatant manner.
Rated 17 Apr 2012
The Perfect Storm failed to keep me emotionally infested. If you already care about the 1991 storm, you might have a good time. I didn't care about the crew, and I only marginally cared about the families of the crew. This is a film filled with a bunch of pointless scenes, some of which I couldn't even discern what was happening during them. It has competent actors, but they didn't save this film from being a waste of my time.
Rated 17 Jun 2012
Eh
Rated 03 Aug 2012
Nothing particularly special about the film, script and cast are noticeably average. Still, the film is good enough to keep you entertained.
Rated 19 Jan 2013
Oh no. Those guys died.
Rated 08 Jun 2019
Good story, good special effects.
Rated 25 Jul 2013
I am not sure what people want from an action flick ... Citizen Kane ? As action adventures go, this was a terrific "popcorn" movie with enough decent acting in it to make you care about the characters and some brilliant special effects which add to the realism. Peterson shows again his skill at developing a sense of brooding atmospheric claustrophobia. Of course anything from the boat leaving the harbour is pure conjecture, but if you accept it for what it is, then its a damn good movie.
Rated 22 Oct 2013
Rated 11 Mar 2014
This movie is what I always hoped happened to the singer in that Brandy song by the Looking Glass. Other than adding some context to 70s radio hits, this movie is pretty boring considering the subject matter. I fell asleep watching this in the theater and I have a phobia of the ocean.
Rated 03 May 2014
I have a serious problem with books and movies that romanticize idiots who endanger the lives of themselves and others so they can get rich. They sail off to their death despite the desperate warnings and pleas of family, friends, and authorities. Then they cost the taxpayers thousands or even millions as we search for their corpses. I'm supposed to root for them?
Rated 31 Aug 2014
The scenes during the storm seem to drag on forever. Lots of so-so footage strung together with no high-impact shots. Great cast, but the script isn't strong enough to give so many great actors a real chance to shine.
Rated 29 Mar 2015
2.42/5
Rated 24 Oct 2016
Wolfgang Petersen's style over substance mantra is evident again here. Yes, the effects are fairly well done and well used, but they are all the film has going for it. Yet again, there is no depth to the characters, so the tragedy of the story is lost. Also, the tragedy would've resonated more, had there not been industrial quantities of cloying sentimentality. That's what really ruined this for me.
Rated 10 Mar 2017
okay movie
Rated 20 Mar 2017
This feels like it could've been a perfect movie, had Hollywood not put their greasy mitts all over it. If it wasn't for those damn Hollywood kids and their CGI...
Rated 13 Aug 2017
"Let's risk our lives but make some money" - in essence. The Perfect Storm had a lot of the cornerstones placed for becoming a perfectly decent "based on a true story-ish," disaster flick, namely the good ensemble cast who seemed to have decent interactions with each other. John C. Reilly, Fichtner, Diane Lane and the rest. What the film failed at is its forceful writing, bad CGI and overly prolonged run time. Completely forgettable.Thumbs up for Springsteen and Eastwood's cameo in Pale Rider.