2006
Drama, Sci-fi
Christopher Nolan directs this mysterious story of two magicians whose intense rivalry leads them on a life-long battle for supremacy full of obsession, deceit and jealousy with dangerous and deadly consequences. (Touchstone Pictures)
Directed by:

Drama, Sci-fi
Avg Percentile 69.28% from 20392 total ratings

(20396)
Rated 01 Sep 2017
Yeah it's convoluted and absurd - you have to accept that Tesla invents the replicator from Star Trek and then gives it away for the sake of performance art instead of just using it to print money. But ultimately it's a pretty gripping noirish-mystery with an excellent lead rivalry, no real heroes (refreshing!) and a unique sci-fi twist that's right up my alley.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
A modern masterpiece. Fantastic plot which remains totally gripping and unpredictable from start to finish coupled with some fantastic acting, especially from Bale and Jackman in the leading roles. Subtle, intelligent and wonderful.
Rated 24 Jul 2012
Amazing and intricate story about obsession and deception. Each time I revisit Nolan's sly, moody, well-acted genrebender, I love it more. Knowing the tricks up his sleeve, one appreciates all the setups and misdirections. Alert first-time viewers will be able to predict some twists and turns of the plot but knowing Borden's secret early doesn't deflate the suspense, and it helps pull the rug out from under you later if you think that you've already figured out the mystery. An all-time favorite.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
An exciting and enigmatic piece with an intricate and detailed plot that keeps you guessing until the end - even when I had one element figured out, another one would surprise me. The acting by Bale and Jackman is fantastic, and the dark and moody atmosphere is highly appropriate.
Rated 27 Sep 2009
Hats off to the Nolans for a truly masterful script. Very economic storytelling, there isn't an empty moment in the entire film. The acting is terrific from both leads, but Caine is especially good as their mentor. My favourite quality of the film is that it doesn't feel obligated to make us root for one man over the other. They are both equally flawed men with believable motivations, and the movie doesn't need a hero to work. A strong film that gets better and better with repeat viewings.
Rated 21 Jun 2016
Nolan delivers again with an engaging tale of obsession and revenge in the world of professional magicians. Incredible atmosphere and top-notch acting all around. The "twist" might put some people off, as it takes the material in a very unexpected and fantastical direction, but the core story of bitter one-upmanship is very strong.
I can't say enough good things about this brilliant film from Chris Nolan. The acting from Caine, Jackman and Bale was top notch, the cinematography was dark and gritty in a way that complemented the story, and the story itself (adapted from Priest's novel) was complex and clever. My only complaint is that I'd have liked a stronger score, but the bits that I did hear augmented the visuals well enough. Easily one of the best movies of 2006.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
I'll take this and Inception over the Batman movies every day of the week. Nolan is just fantastic. Bale vs. Jackman is a wonderful match-up, Caine delivers as always, Bowie has a cameo tailored to perfection, and Johansson appears literate.
Rated 24 Dec 2006
Nolan has created a stylized period atmosphere with a sense of 'magic' in the air. There are problems with the ending, especially the stretch and explicitness of it. But overall it is a wonderful and smart experience with good acting.
Rated 28 Feb 2007
I like movies where I think "Hey, I haven't seen this story before." Really awesome narrative structure and clever plot (thanks to the book author). Nolan truly makes the late 1800's magician world come to life. There is so much going on in this movie, and it only gets better with repeated viewings. Plus brilliant casting.
Rated 21 Apr 2007
(after repeat viewings, Blu Ray): The look of this film is marvelous and there's this unshakable menacing feeling I find highly appealing. Hugh Jackman's and Christian Bale give one of their best performances to date, one of the many reasons I loved this film.
Rated 31 Aug 2008
A beautifully crafted film, playing out like a magic trick itself.
Rated 31 Dec 2008
Great mystery film that leaves you guessing to the end. Well almost, all the clues are there and I saw what was coming before it arrived some of the time, but the prestige of the film is as good as the tricks.
Rated 05 Dec 2012
Even the staunchest detractors of Nolan, whether they're too clever for Inception or too highbrow for The Dark Knight,or worst of all underground enough to claim Memento was his only good flick should just watch this again. Because if nothing else it proves them right, and that Nolan knows it, as he exposes filmmaking for what it is - sleight of hand, where at its best you feel like you've got one up on the magician, right until he pulls the rabbit out his arse, and not his plethora of hats.
Rated 15 Apr 2013
Chris Nolan showing why he really is a genius! Such an amazing movie and such a powerful twist. The funny thing is that throughout the whole movie you have clues, but it still manages to fool you. EPIC!
Rated 30 May 2015
I'm completely on board now, when people say: This is a GREAT movie! *Fantastic
Rated 24 Feb 2007
This movie is awesome for the performances and for the cinematic magic trick that Christopher Nolan created.
Rated 28 Feb 2007
The first 2/3rds were good, but the resolutions were entirely too contrived and unbelievable. The twists seemed too forced and inelegant.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
A movie with a slow start that builds to an amazing climax. Everything about it was excellent.
Rated 27 Dec 2007
The Prestige was a terrific film. The acting was all around marvelous. This movie had such a great cast. I really enjoyed it. I should have enjoyed it more than I did, but there was something missing, just like in every other one of Nolan's films, I just don't know what. Bale is definitely gonna be one of the more successfull actors in his generation, and this film is a good example as to why. A terrific story, and a terrific twist ending, definitely worth a watch.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
A brilliant mystery/thriller that actually gives you a chance to work out whats going on, though you wont until a second viewing and then you'll kick yourself. Also manages to jump between 3 seperate time streams without skipping a beat, the actings top notch and while slightly anachronistic the setting comes off as distinctly victorian. An overlooked classic. See it as soon as you can.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
My favorite Nolan.
Rated 17 May 2008
i'm sorry to say in order to truly appreciate this movie you need to watch it at least twice, AT LEAST. on the other hand, this has a truly original, and thrilling story that is so well written i am befuddled why it has not been a national sensation that everyone is required to watch by law.
Rated 16 Jul 2008
Beautifully shot, this film - with Nolan's typically non-linear script - challenges the viewer throughout, but never becomes unmanageably complex. The two leads are excellent, but Bowie stands out in his fantastic portrayal of Nikola Tesla. The final twist is an understated, but shockingly unexpected reveal the likes of which M. Knight Shyamalan can only dream.
Rated 31 Aug 2008
One of the few movies I've ever seen where the ending completely surprised me and left me speechless. The acting is tremendous and the direction impeccable. So many interesting camera angles and wonderful set pieces punctuate a masterfully constructed atmosphere.
Rated 23 Jun 2009
The atmosphere is tense and frightening at times, the performances are uniformly strong, the plot is twisting, labyrinthian and quite engaging - and somehow, this film, as enjoyable as it is, falls short of greatness and I can't quite explain why. Perhaps it's because it so eagerly offers up its secrets at the end and leaves no shred of mystery for the viewer to figure out, or maybe because there's an element of "cheating" to it. Either way, it's a fun ride, but it's missing something.
Rated 03 Sep 2009
Wow!!! Why does someone who can make movies like The Prestige & Memento waste his time with comic book movies. This is one of my top 10 movies.
Rated 18 Mar 2011
"Are you watching closely?" such says the introducing voiceover in Nolans great The Prestige. But do yourself a favor and dont watch to closely, cause then the twists and turns wont be to hard to spot. Instead, lean back and enjoy a great tale of rivalry, ambition and desire for making the perfect magic trick. Abracadabra!
Rated 16 Feb 2007
I can't believe that was David Bowie.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
I didn't fell in love.. It was OK..
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Completely predictable and therefore, it gets really boring towards the end.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
I was not expecting that ending at all, very well done.
Rated 28 Mar 2007
I was worried halfway through about the direction this had taken. Then it completely turned around and satisfied me in every single little way; at least the way it unfolded so I just managed to understand what was going on before it actually happened. Marvellous, though a few very small flaws. Very much worth a watch.
I was not surprised to find myself enjoying The Prestige, as I am a fan of many of the lead actors and the director. I was, however, very surprised by how immensely unpredictable and dark the film was. With a very captivating plot, and a combination of mystery and fantasy that will boggle the mind, The Prestige turned out to be even better than expected. Awesome!
Rated 31 Mar 2008
The impressive production value and performances (especially Christian Bale) do not redeem an utterly preposterous plot.
Rated 20 Apr 2008
Compelling. A great show with a great cast. Pure movie magic.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
I was so trapped by its story and mood that I had to see it several times in theaters.
Rated 25 Jul 2008
The Prestige is terrific. Many of the aspect, if not all of them in it is extraordinary. Like walking through a long labyrinth full of so many gateways: you're going to find something special in each door. Bale once again dishes out a awesome performance, backed-up by Caine who is severly underrated. The third act though I felt was a bit shallow, and the twist was expected. Still perfect.
Rated 12 Aug 2008
This flick displays a story with a lot of suspension, an exciting scenery and some good acting. On the other hand the story could need a little more depth to make it more than simple entertainment. The repeated confusion doesn't make it alone. Anyawys, it's great entertainment...
Rated 10 Sep 2008
I have a hard time defending this film, especially upon repeat viewings. The casting is absolutely fantastic. But the 'twist' ending, the flashback-within-a-flashback and a too-convoluted narrative burden the film where it needn't be; plus, on a basic level, why would Nolan reveal his prestige? Isn't that against the point?
Rated 02 Feb 2009
I want to rate this 110, phenomenal.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Putting aside the two very average female leads in this film, The Prestige is another example of Nolan's brilliance. Totally gripping, with a pulsating last half hour, that is a brilliant climax to a great plot which takes all the best parts from the also excellent novel by Christopher Priest. Brilliantly shot, with a great script and two stunning male lead performances. If it wasn't for Johansson and Hall's stodgy performances I would have scored it even higher. Still magnificent however.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
Bowie as Tesla? I think I just came a little.
Rated 27 Aug 2010
Another very impressive intellectual thriller from Christopher Nolan, whose body of work is starting to show common themes and recurring patterns such as duplications of personal identity and blurred boundaries between reality and illusion. Nolan himself is a master illusionist, and his dedication to his tricks is evident in the quality package of production design, sound, editing, casting and acting on display here. Perhaps one too many twists up its sleeve, but a remarkable story nonetheless.
Rated 08 Sep 2011
The Prestige is an epic tale seen from the viewpoint of two rival magicians who strive to be better than the other. The amazing performances of Jackman and Bale and the engaging script keeps you hooked up until the last minute, this is a mystery you must surely indulge. A Masterpiece.
Rated 09 Apr 2013
Watch if you want to see a very well done & entertaining magician rivalry set in the early days of electricity & wonder. Your satisfaction with the secrets of some of the magic tricks will depend somewhat on your taste & personality but it is still entertaining with good direction, acting and setting.
Rated 27 Aug 2013
Even by Nolan’s standards, The Prestige is bleak, depressing, and ultimately quite disturbing, but the magic is in how addictive the experience is. Regardless of whether you predict Borden’s secret or not, the mastery of Nolan’s storytelling keeps you utterly transfixed. Admittedly, not everything quite adds up to the logical mind on a scene-by-scene basis, but that’s okay, because you don’t really want to work it out. You just want to be fooled.
Rated 31 Aug 2014
In a wacky Marvel/DC crossover, Batman versus Wolverine in a no-holds barred magic-off. Fortunately Black Widow and Alfred the butler are there to minimize the collateral damage.
Rated 10 Jun 2015
I was surprised by the sheer depths of depravity on display here. What awful people. It is a well made and fun film, successfully treading a fractured timeline with great performances and lovely production design. It's just unfortunate that, like many of Nolan's films, it relies so heavily upon twists and revelations. For a film about secrecy and illusion, it can't help but divulge its own tricks.
Rated 29 Dec 2006
Writer-director Christopher Nolan nails the The Pledge and The Turn, but fumbles in the third act by delivering The Turn again, only in reverse; it makes something extraordinary ordinary.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Some great acting by Bale and Jackman really carries this film about the fine line between illusion and reality. The best part is that while everything is in reference to the two magicians and their tricks, many of the themes and ideas apply beyond the world of the movie to the movie itself and its viewers.
Dare I say magical film.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
I love this movie. The turn of the century setting feels real, and the old fashioned magic tricks are great. The script is complex, yet the movie is directed with such tight control that everything is easy to follow and satisfying to see unfold. The film is full of little details and clues that become so fun to notice once you watch it for a second time. All the actors are fantastic, especially Jackman and Caine.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
A fantastically acted, and incredibly well developed storyline make the prestige one of the best movies of '06.
Rated 05 Mar 2007
I absolutely loved this movie. The acting is fantastic especially from Bale, and Nolan reminds me why he's one of my favorite directors. The real star of this movie though, is the script, which twists and turns and pulls its own little magic trick. Watch it a second time, and even though you know the tricks, you'll notice all the brilliantly subtle hints and references.
Rated 08 Mar 2007
One of the biggest surprises I've ever experienced seeing a film, this is a truly fresh plot idea with great acting. One hell of a film.
Rated 01 Apr 2007
Fantastic movie.
Rated 25 Apr 2007
amazing film, left me dumbfounded, fantastic acting and captivating story. WOW.
Rated 11 May 2007
Batman vs. Wolverine, as Alfred watches. I loved it.
Rated 27 May 2007
This film has it all. It is a film that takes you on a journey without letting you drift into boredom for a single second. 2 hours of story-telling excellence.
Rated 30 Jun 2007
A top-notch adaptation of what should have been an unfilmable novel. Many details from the book are changed and shifted about, but in spirit it remains faithful to the source material, with the result that novel and book complement each other. A real act of cinematic prestidigitation.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
This would have been a great film instead of a good one if it didn't have the needless scenes explaining everything at the end. They're pointless and they undermine a central metaphor of the film.
Rated 05 Aug 2007
How a movie can pretend something THAT bloody obvious was a twist I'll never know...
Rated 06 Aug 2007
One of my all-time favourite film. A masterpiece.
Great performances, and a intricate and complex plot that reveals itself slowly. The twists were unexpected and the movie does well in capturing the essence of a magic trick in its telling , and denouement.
Holy crap.
Rated 31 Aug 2007
Christopher Nolan makes damn good movies. This is excellent and the Third Act is incredible.
Rated 09 Oct 2007
Best movie of 2006, easily
Rated 09 Oct 2007
Great movie, funny and full of about-turns. Distinction for the climate of rivalry created between two magicians and the good cast.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Excellent, right up to it's shocking finale.
Rated 25 Oct 2007
Great characters, great story.
Rated 28 Dec 2007
Nolan brothers seem to pull out amazing movies. This is one of the greatest films of all time. The plot is a little silly toward the end, but you can't deny the characters and their motivations, and that's really what drives this movie.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Unusual subject matter which challenges your perception and works on a number of different levels. Deep, dark and quirky. Strong supporting roles by Michael Caine and David Bowie. If you're looking for something different and low key but rewarding this is a great choice.
Rated 31 Jan 2008
Nolan keeps on working his magic. An incredible puzzle with Bale and Jackman at their best.
Rated 26 Feb 2008
Great storytelling.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Blah. With apologies to the excellent cast, I really disliked this film. The theme of revenge was very off-putting and it was so dark and dismal throughout; even the "mystery" and "magic" faded into the gloom. Much preferred "The Illusionist" where "magic" was used for love, not revenge.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
It twists and turns without ever feeling forced or too clever for its own good, but it also just oozes atmosphere. There are some great performances from a fine cast, but the icing on the cake is the characteristically wonderful direction and cinematography from the increasingly brilliant Nolan/Pfister partnership. Really great.
Rated 27 Mar 2008
I didn't like the "sci fi part" of the story(actually it's multi-layered story, you can not exactly sure about it's real or sci-fi in movie, but you know Tesla didnt do that kind of machine in real life:) ) but it's well-written & well-made movie anyway.
Rated 11 May 2008
Very entertaining, full of little puzzles and an ending that I genuinely found surprising. Also David Bowie is in it.
Rated 04 Jul 2008
brilliant
Rated 14 Jul 2008
This movie loves to flatter itself with how smart it thinks it is. Every twist is ridiculous, and yet, oddly enough, you see every twist coming. Nolan is better than this.
Rated 18 Jul 2008
Superb, most of the twists are guessable apart from the one that clicks into place after the film has finished, that the film itself is a magic trick and a self aware oe at that. Some of the best bringing of an audience into a film I have seen
Rated 24 Jul 2008
I am willing to fist fight those that did not like this movie.
Rated 03 Sep 2008
A tragedy without aristoelean curve, a sci-fi taking place in the past, a mystery w/o conclusion, a fantasy of magic vs wizardry. The movie is a magic trick in itself. All axes of the film deceive the viewer, and blissfully fool us into wonderment revealing many unsettling paradoxes and realities of human life and suffering. It also forces us into a tug of war when trying to determine which characters are ultimately protagonists and antagonists. INCREDIBLE FILM with an unlimited replay value.
Rated 07 Sep 2008
brilliant
Rated 13 Nov 2008
i was hooked until the very end! and then the end came and i was kind of let down...but still great overall. i had to watch it a few times before i got all the clues and details
Rated 02 Dec 2008
Lots of atmoshpere in thsi one, and it is an entirely enjoyable watch. Nolan crafts such a great, mysterious picture you can't help but keep your eyes on the screen and wondering what that last, end-all-be-all trick will be. The tough part is to decide which magician you think is the protagonist in this movie. One things for sure: Bowie as Tesla? Sweet!
Rated 14 Dec 2008
second best movie for me!
Rated 18 Dec 2008
Excellent story, with a great cast. What I thought was gonna be a movie set in old times about magicians ended up being more of a sci fi/fantasy than I thought.
Rated 21 Dec 2008
Alright, apart from Bale not being on form and Bowie just being crap.
Rated 12 Jan 2009
A fantastic film that dips in and out of several genres through its runtime. Far, far better than the also-ran Illusionist.
Rated 17 Jan 2009
A decent movie while you're viewing it. But the more you think about it, the more you realize it was kinda a waste of time. From what I recall, the ending had me asking whiskey tango foxtrot...
Rated 22 Jan 2009
Smart, engaging, and perfect pace. Nolan is one of the best directors working today.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Does the title refer to having David Bowie AND Michael Caine in the same movie?
Rated 20 Mar 2009
The best Nolan film.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Stacks up to "The Illusionist" quite nicely but I find it loses me around the "BIG TWIST", which I find takes the "magic" out of the movie (see what I did there?).
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Good movie but people are way too gaga over it.
Rated 10 May 2009
Excellent... ;)
Rated 14 May 2009
*spoilers indicated here* You know, when you're trying to figure out magic tricks and illusions you usually look to the ordinary, so having a gigantic duplicating machine just cheapens everything. Not to mention having a twin is fine as an explanation, as long as what that twin does makes some true sense about one's true motivations. Too far-fetched.
Rated 17 May 2009
technically well made except the pathetic ending. I really do not like that they try to be realistic saying that there is no real magic and then they mix into the story "an invention" which is so unrealistic. the movie is like when somebody tells you stupid story nice way...

Directed by: