Criticker.com - Film & TV Recommendations and Community
0 rankings

The Puffy Chair (2005)

Your Rating
500 characters left

Summary: The story of three very different people and a giant purple puffy chair in a too-small van. -- and one of them has to go before the trip's end. (Roadside Attraction)

Genre: Comedy

Country: USA

Directed By: Mark Duplass, Jay Duplass

Written By: Mark Duplass, Jay Duplass

Starring: Mark Duplass, Katie Aselton, Rhett Wilkins, Bari Hyman, Gerald Finnegan, Julie Fischer

Additional Information & Actions

More information at IMDb

Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
loading Loading Products from Ebay
The Puffy Chair belongs to 13 collections
1. Brothers (public: moderated by djross - 3 stars)
2. Mumblecore (public: moderated by Moribunny - 3 stars)
3. Budget of less than $50,000 (your public collection - 3 stars) | remove from collection
4. us-tv McD 101 from the 2000s (private: timxyz)
5. Ignored Films (your private collection) | remove from collection
6. Ignored Films (your private collection) | remove from collection
7. AA: Independent Cinema (private: KasperL)

Browse the full list of collections
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
LEAVES
28T3
Moribunny Moribunny
70T8
One of the more effective "mumblecore" films, The Puffy Chair is a no-budget independent effort that relies on genuinely interesting characters in realistic and interesting situations. Co-director Mark Duplass plays the lead, a conniving douchebag who is somehow sympathetic.
amerigo amerigo
kastenm kastenm
40T1
DesertPunk DesertPunk
83T9
There's something about the story of The Puffy Chair that hits a really hard chord in me, and I'm not even sure why. Way more effective than you'd think.
rettelo rettelo
hypnotoad1
spins
bob thrillin
5T1
This is an amalgam of every quirky, post-Wes Anderson indie dramedy cliche imaginable.
ECSR
timxyz timxyz
6T5
bookhouseboy bookhouseboy
65T9
Duplass-Brothers feature debut is a road trip on a shoestring budget, and we're following two brothers and a girl on a funny,charming and emotional journey; a slice of life that's realistic and relatable thanks to the screenplay and good performances from the lead trio, especially Katie.A is impressive. *Preview*: #12#, exp-3*, story, reviews, writers-directors Duplass'/1, Katie.A/6, M.Duplass/4, R4.
Westbrook0
88T8
goldsoundz
81T8
WillsW0rld WillsW0rld
73T3
I love the Duplass style, but the plot of the film just wasn't cutting it for me.
blucthulhu
schizotoast schizotoast
90T9
Riptide0 Riptide0
81T7
This a movie too good for me to have almost forgotten it. Very funny and insightful as three people try to do just one thing together and end up getting in each other's way. Very much worth a watch.
pinkyxox
moviefreak moviefreak
88T8
SlantMag SlantMag
25T7
"The film never quite strikes a comfortable or graceful balance between silliness and solemnity." - Nick Schager
writerish
joshpatton joshpatton
77T3
Slvbarek Actionberg
80T8
I can't really speak to the film's role in the Mumblecore movement because I still don't get exactly what separates it from a lot of American independent cinema dating back several decades, but overall I thought it was pretty good. It establishes this kind of intimacy with the main relationship that makes it hard to not get emotionally involved. The ending was its most superb moment, one that really rings true to life with its frankness.
RetinaScan RetinaScan
lotr23 lotr23
90T10
jack_parsons jack parsons
9T8
It is really inspiring seeing a movie that doesn't rely on cinematography, especially for guys trying to create no budget films. This was just fantastic writing and GREAT performances. The Duplass brothers know how to write, direct, and act. An incredibly talented duo!
Pyrohemian
50T2
dezzic10
forehead1
40T3
A guy, his girlfriend and his brother drive cross-country to pick up an armchair, running into a couple of bumps along the way. Towards the end there are two or three very good discussions on the subject of marriage/relationships, but too many pointless scenes throughout (mainly involving the hippy brother) add nothing and just take up valuable time in such a short film. Having never seen Duplass acting before, I was impressed by his performance in this.
lumpnboy lumpnboy
NRM01
66T8
closedmouth closedmouth
90T9
Maybe it's because I've been watching The League lately and consequently find Mark and Katie immediately likeable, but I thought this was a compelling, beautiful, complex depiction of a real, messy relationship, and relationships in general. Far from being plotless, it uses the MacGuffins of the road trip and the titular chair to tell a series of short stories illustrating the fascinating flaws of these complex characters. Even the lame ending with all its false catharsis seems appropriate.
Bacchanalian Bacchanalian
62T4
Adam_P_D Adam P-D
30T3
SirStuckey SirStuckey
75T7
"No budget, no problem. Instead we'll create simple stories that border on absurd and yet feel incredibly realistic because we create meaningful characters that everyone can relate to in some way." - The Duplass Brothers to Hollywood
kxlly kxlly
psim psim
80T8
JohnSandwich JohnSandwich
75T8
I liked it. The hippie brother character and the actor playing him was quite annoying. Other than that, yeah, pretty good.
chrisssslim chrisssslim
zweird
58T3
mattorama12 mattorama12
62T5
Shows a mastery of tone that's rare among first time filmmakers. The characters are all interesting and well-layered. The horribly annoying camera (evoking The Office) and lackadaisical plot really keep this from being something I could really into though.
chbbread
kangadoodoo kangadoodoo
SirRobbie SirRobbie
Mohko Mohko
75T8
Fun little indie drama-comedy. At times the charactes feel a bit too caricature like but the cast has an awesome chemistry between them. Also Mark Duplass is just always a joy to watch.
Cherish Cherish
TVFilm_Hub TV+Film-Hub
1T2
sebby sebby
65T5
The hippie brother is such a dipshit. Damn it, I hate hippies so much. Duplass is such a dude, wants his cake and to eat it, too (his g/f, she sucks ass, is the cake in this metaphor, by the way), and goes Rambo on two different dudes for fucking with his chair. Really great stuff. Man, the g/f sucks so much. Total nightmare witch, inviting herself onto the man-trip and then stirring up crazy shit. Witch Brew. But Duplass is such a dude he's like, "You can come and we'll fuck, but that's that."
freeipods freeipods
dyslxichrt dyslxichrt
81T6
Jazzaloha
69T7
Mark Duplass' film persona is not necessarily likable, but I can't deny that he is funny. Rhett Atkins is also pretty funny in this. The story is not so great, but there some good comedic moments.
TraverseTown TraverseTown
feelthefeeva
52T8
Who8muhrice
81T5
tinysausage tinysausage
67T4
A pretty good script - some of the relationship dynamics really rang true. But come on Duplass Bros. - you're filmmakers, learn how to focus a camera already.
ThirdAct
mightysparks mightysparks
70T9
Ytadel Ytadel
70T8
The minimal production values are overcome by three really strong leading performances and a tone that hews so closely to real life that I was totally drawn in. The emotional impact of certain scenes was downright visceral.
Average Tier 5.6 from 184 Rankings rss