The Purge: Anarchy
The-Purge-Anarchy

The Purge: Anarchy

2014
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
A couple are driving home to their kids when their car runs out of gas just as the Purge commences. Meanwhile, Leo goes out into the streets to get revenge on the man who killed his son, and a mother and daughter run from their home after assailants destroy it. The five people meet up as they attempt to survive the night in Los Angeles. (imdb)
Franchise: The Purge

Expands on the very flawed but interesting-in-a-What-If-Scenario-kinda-way Purge setup by delving a bit deeper into the concept and its consequences. It's still too plotholey and doesn't go full bananas with the Purgeness, so it still feels like a missed opportunity. I want crazy chainsaw wielding hobos, elderly grumps with flamethrowers and crystal meth'd supersoldiers fighting it out in a theme park or something. I should purge my hopes of this franchise becoming worthwhile.
So wait... The government introduced the "Purge" as a means of "purging" the country of certain people, and conveniently called it the "Purge" so that people would know that they are "purging," as opposed to randomly killing for no reason. But then when people find out that the "Purge" is mainly meant to "purge" the land of those deemed "purgable" by the rich, people somehow feel deceived. Sounds like somebody needs a purgin'.
A fairly vast improvement on the original, taking its cues from how Aliens evolved from Alien and changing from an insular home invasion thriller to a full-blown citywide action blowout. James DeMonaco still isn't an amazing visual filmmaker or anything, and you'll see a lot of beats coming, but this is much, much more ambitious than last year's Purge.
I guess "The Purge: Fear of a Black Planet" was a little too much. This is an ehhhhn Escape From New York for about 25 minutes and that part's kinda fun. A breath of fresh air though compared to the dogshit original. I really want the next one to lose the story, make it some Altmanesque large cast of characters and have a lil background pay close attention themes baby nonsense going on because where they are heading with this is not interesting at all we just want to see people act bananas.
I like that the franchise takes concepts like propaganda, manipulation & economics, and uniquely smashes them together. I like that it's more open-world, but I don't like that there isn't a stand-out "Polite Leader". That character is split between Big Daddy, "God", and... Capitalism. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE money as an enemy but, I guess I prefer a more singular villain. I do appreciate that the antagonists weren't just "entitled educated college kids" this time. Sets up nicely for a third.

Submitted bymatthew_parkinsonMatthew Parkinson on 21 Jul 2014