1948
Romance
Under the authoritarian rule of charismatic ballet impressario Boris Lermontov, his proteges realize the full promise of their talents, but at a price: utter devotion to their art and complete loyalty to Lermontov himself. Under his near-obsessive guidance, young ballerina Victoria Page is poised for superstardom, but earns Lermontov's scorn when she falls in love with Julian Craster, composer of "The Red Shoes," the ballet Lermontov is staging to showcase her talents. (imdb)

1948
Romance

A magnificent film that gets better everytime I watch it. It's visually stunning and the story is perfectly orchestrated, with every scene coming at just the right time. Even if you hate musicals, give this a chance. It's different and will quickly captivate you.
The ballet scene in the middle is stunning, and the rest of the movie isn't far behind. I've only seen two Powburger films, but if any of their other works are as good as this, I better go check out some more.
Rated 01 Mar 2012
Simply a gorgeous film, the technicolor visuals are stunning. If the story was as engaging as the dancing, then this would've been one of my favorite movies. Unfortunately, the love story just didn't really feel complete to me.
Rated 21 Mar 2010
Oh boy, to my surprise I really disliked this. Ballet doesn't do much for me (except maybe annoy me) and there's nothing else here. Most of the movie is yawn-inducing and the main conflict centers on a ludicrous - or at least not at all interestingly explored - choice between devoting youself to either art or love. Incredibly overrated.
Rated 22 Jun 2014
The moral of the story is, if you're foolish enough to choose life over the beautiful artifice of a Powell and Pressburger film, you deserve to be hit by a train...
Rated 15 Aug 2009
Duty and love in bitter conflict, until the price of art overwhelms them both. Most of the film is magnificent - like Lermontov said, it had me applauding during intermission - but there are some bizarre editing choices and, quite frankly, I don't get why she can't dance and be married at the same time. I LOVE having actual artisans acting as opposed to the other way around; the extra effort in these little touches goes a long way.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
The story is awful, acting is just as bad, had to pause about 4 times cause it was just so damn boring. The special effects were impressive (for the time) and it looked nice but I like my movies to have an interesting plot and some actors that know what to do. It is obviously well made but I guess I ultimately hated it because ballet is so incredibly lame. The conflict is a joke. Why can't she dance and be married? Makes no sense at all. Also, that climax was beyond awful.
Rated 07 Dec 2011
Far too much time wasted on ballet and special effects wanking for it to be a great film. The combining conflicts of artist/creation/love reached a poetic level, but fell amidst wooden acting and meaningless scenes - the first act was totally boring. The photography was very good, and the Technicolor was surprisingly artistic. For me, the layers of narrative work on a meta-level: a film about a ballet about a fable - all telling the same message. Something poststructuralist about it.
Rated 05 May 2020
Ever have one of those experiences when you're instantly reveling in the moment? I felt The Red Shoes was a masterpiece while I was watching. Sorry to those who don't like ballet. Even as a casual fan I can still appreciate the ability to transform it to screen without being too surreal. Ambition, love, class...this movie tied them all beautifully. I wasn't too keen on the ending but it was fitting. Fav scene: Walbrook keeping his shades on and ignoring Irina at the train station said so much.
Rated 14 May 2018
One of the most beautiful films I've seen. Vibrant & lively storytelling that absolutely soars with the feverish creative passions of its players. Shows complete mastery of style as it plays naturally & economically with its grandiose extravagance. I've only ever been to one ballet but this seemed to effortlessly combine its essence with that of cinema. Although the melodramatic finale was appropriate it almost felt needless after that brilliant centrepiece. A real technicolor dream & nightmare.
One of the greatest films I've ever seen, this through-and-through remarkable piece of filmmaking is one of the pioneering examples of magic realism in cinema and the best and most accurate testament to the power and passion of artistic expression.
Moira Shearer springs toward the fabled shoes: few moments in film are as perfect as this.
Rated 30 Apr 2008
Passionate, colourful and vibrant.
Rated 15 Sep 2022
Very deserving of its acclaim and legacy. I thought this was exceptionally done, truly a one-of-a-kind movie. The innovation alone makes it worth checking out. I thought all of the acting was great, dancers and choreographers included, and I even thought the ending was fitting and made sense. I was surprised how artsy it was. These directors did a damn good job and were certainly ahead of their time. Production, writing, acting, and directing are as good as it gets. I can’t recommend it enough.
Rated 08 Feb 2010
I'm not going to lie, I wasn't excited about this movie going into it. There was a long, beautiful dance sequence in the middle, but otherwise the other 2 hours were entirely undesirable and uninteresting. I don't care that it's Scorsese's favorite movie - he is living proof that you can be inspired and make something better out of it - like, WAY better. Like everything he's ever made.
Rated 15 Mar 2010
Melodramatic, but nonetheless compelling and beautiful. The story is somewhat absurd and contrived, but its passion can be felt throughout the film, and the execution is magnificent. Powell and Pressburger embrace the inherent theatricality of the tale but employ some magnificent cinematic tricks to make it, as they did with The Tales of Hoffmann, much more than just filmed stage performance.
Rated 27 Jun 2010
Lusciously filmed and strangely compelling, I was rather engulfed by the entirety of the production and its makers' devotion, not so much by the dance sequences which I think halted the film's desire to move forward with the story. The ending is awful, but it's good as a whole and I think it'll grow on me after repeat viewings.
Rated 14 Jan 2017
I soldiered on through the entirety of this without taking a much-needed bathroom break. Thought I should probably suffer a little bit, you know?
Rated 14 Apr 2018
Nearly every review here talks about melodrama, but, aside from the fact that the final moment happens very suddenly, the conflict it depicts, involving three highly-talented artists whose work is extremely demanding and time-consuming, does not seem at all far-fetched, and their behaviour seems quite plausible. Also, the way it conveys opening night tension and excitement is superior to most attempts. The use of the moving camera, colour and trained dancers are, as everyone remarks, all great.
Rated 19 Aug 2023
This blows Singin' In the Rain out of the meta-musical water. There's a sense that it's all just flowing into and then out of this one terrific scene, but that one scene is indeed spectacular.
Rated 05 Sep 2018
Why do we still make films with color when this film already perfected it?
Rated 28 Jan 2019
Honestly, if it weren't for the weird brief use of Blackface minstrelsy at one point and the hasty and overly melodramatic ending, it's possible this might've gotten a perfect score. It's outstandingly beautiful and overflowing with layers-upon-layers of symbolism, subtext and meta-textual commentary. Not only did this give me newfound appreciation for the art of ballet, but it introduced me to all new ways of cinematic storytelling that I never could've imagined before.
Rated 09 Apr 2007
A fairy-tale retold. As many musicals of the age, this one's about making one - this time from the classic Andersen story, and once again, life copies fiction.
Rated 10 Apr 2007
After three of their best (others being Peeping Tom and Black Narcissus) I developed a certain liking for P&P. It is amazing how the movie holds on its own after 60 years. Use of technicolor is an artform in itself with carefully chosen pastels in full bloom. I guess whatever the material is P&P manages to capture the determination in characters and does not solely rely on emotional dazzlement. Well, to the end at least...
Succumbs to melodrama at the end, but the film is visually stunning, and the directors parallel the ballet and real life amazingly.
Great film.
The story and acting aren't much to speak of, but wow, what eye candy! This is one of the most beautifully photographed films I've ever seen.
Rated 26 Jun 2008
As a whole, I found a lot of the story and acting unimpressive. What did impress me was the opulent art direction and the wonderful ballet scene in the middle. Every scene is also really really well photographed. Definitely worth checking out but not exactly as great as others say. Fairly boring, but I'd like to give it another look.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
In general I don't like 'old' movies, but this one is well worth it. The acting is dated, but the performance of the red shoes ballet in the middle of the film is exceptional. It's magical and incredible to watch. The special effects used must have blown the movie-goers at that time away. I'm still deeply impressed by this part, and this film is on my list to see multiple times.
Rated 29 May 2009
It's kind of melodramatic in parts, but generally very enjoyable.
Rated 13 Mar 2010
The layers are transparent: a story about dramatists who work in heightened modes of expression (read: Powell & Pressburger themselves), a theme about the conflicting pressures of private lives and professional ambitions, of which the title ballet is a microcosmic representation. So this ballet-within-a-film-about-creators operates on a mechanically ambitious, structurally circular and referential level. It is directed with consummate skill, though its final moments are melodramatic to a fault.
Rated 26 Apr 2010
Every time I had to watch ballet I groaned and whined, always moments away from fast forwarding. The story is stupid and overly dramatic with no purpose. I also think the ending was about as stupid as a tragic ending can get--if this was Powell's idea I might have to refuse to ever watch him again (Colonel Blimp not withstanding).
Rated 24 Jun 2010
I know that this is a highly respected classic but I didn't love it. It was certainly beautiful. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if I didn't hate ballet. I thought that I might feel this way before I watched it but I had to give it a shot. And now I know for sure that I don't like ballet. It was slow in parts, the main ballet part was pretty surreal and the ending was kind of retarded. I don't know. I respect the film, I just didn't really enjoy much of it.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
I was completely blown away by The Red Shoes. There's that 20 minute dance sequence in the middle where... well, I guess you could explain it by saying that the fourth wall is constructed before our eyes, and we are totally immersed in the fantasy of the ballet. The sequence is euphoric, if that makes sense. And the ballet at the end is one of the more moving endings to a movie ever. The whole thing's just fantastic. So highly recommended.
Rated 07 Dec 2020
A plainly written story on the surface, but to generalize The Red Shoes into facile brackets of uniformity and conventional concepts...I refuse. The way in which The Red Shoes uses colour, scenes embellished in such a way, conveying so much untold emotion. The way main characters mirror the roles of the ballet characters in THEIR respective roles creates a uncanny atmospheric disposition from the moment the red Shoes become relevant. Pretty costumes,brilliant make-up,an astounding team effort.
Rated 07 Feb 2011
A strong film from P&P. The beautiful use of Technicolor is more than evident throughout, the centerpiece ballet is a stunning use of dance in a cinematic context, and the brilliant marriage between art and life makes for an emotionally complex film. Walbrook as Lermontov is especially good in his performance, making a Faustian deal with the young dancer. The Red Shoes strips away the lies about a heart sold to ambition, showing us a world where people cannot have everything they want.
Rated 15 Jun 2011
Two abusive males fight over the property rights to a talented dancer. Who will win? Who cares?
Rated 18 Jun 2011
A great film? I would say not. Rather it's a good film with some great scenes. If you don't like ballet you may struggle mightily to get through it. If the acting were better and the characters and their motivations had been fleshed out more then the ending may not have sucked so much, but as it stands it was rushed and seemed contrived. Can't fault the technical aspects of the film, and if you're a ballet fan I can see it would be hard not to fall in love with it. However I'm not, so I didn't.
Rated 15 Aug 2011
One of the most beautiful films ever made. The central dance segment is absolutely amazing, and the Technicolor is gorgeous.
Rated 15 Oct 2011
"The Ballet of the Red Shoes" sequence was one of those holy shit moments where a film bridges the difficult chasm between being good and being masterful. Most great films have a scene or sequence like this; The Red Shoes actually has two: in addition to the one just mentioned, there's the end of the film when Vicki runs off with the shoes on. Simply stunning and I only wish I had seen the restored 2009 version rather than the original Criterion. Next time.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
Technicolor rules. It's so perfect for the kind of pseudo-fantastical tone that the story demands. It was pretty engaging before the actual Red Shoes production, but then all of a sudden here's this overwhelmingly psychedelic sequence that stands on its own to this day. Lermontov has a rather fascinating sexual bent to his power mongering; it's almost as if he gets off on Vicki's unbridled ambition. The ending hits hard and is almost unexpected but remains totally appropriate.
Rated 19 Jan 2012
The camera work during the opening night performance was magnificent and dreamlike. The stagework was great, and it seemed to me that a lot of thought went into details such as color and placement. A fine film and a stunning portrayal of the ballet.
Rated 10 Mar 2012
Captures the devoted, if often rash, artist with all the emotional ups and downs. Does a good job of adapting the legend within the story's framework and concentrates on the lush highs instead of wallowing in the lows. The difficultly of the choice is demonstrated on what is lost not what is gained. Highly Recommended.
Rated 01 Jun 2012
That Red-Shoes-performance-multi-setpiece was so fucking fantastic. Was right on the verge to applauding my screen. The ending and its build-up felt strange, though. I mean, there was stuff already hinting at that sort of thing during the forementionend performance, but other than that it was a little too sudden for my taste. Just happened too fast, I don't know...
Rated 05 Aug 2013
The Red Shoes is technically very well made, it's just too bad that it doesn't have a great story behind it. It's ok and I thought the ending was decent, but appreciation of technical achievement only gets me so far.
Rated 18 Jun 2014
I was pretty impressed by the centrepiece moment of the film, where the techniques of theatre and film combine -- certainly something I'd like to watch again. The rest of the movie isn't quite as brilliant. With a story that simple, I'd like the characters to be more complex and less caricatured, and an ending that isn't as laughably melodramatic would've been nice, too.
Rated 09 Dec 2014
Visually, it's quite a treat and way ahead of its time -just marvel at those colors in the gorgeous remaster. But what about the plot? The first half hardly has any -and when conflict arrives in the second half it's in the guise of an obsolete and banal dilemma, which resolves in kinda over-the-top hilarious but pointlessly melodramatic fashion. It's not a bad film -it's rather pleasant and, if you like a ballet, there's quite a bit of that- but it's a rather boring and insubstantial one.
Rated 20 Feb 2021
Nearly perfect, though I don't love the way the ending was filmed. It knocks off 7 or 8 points.
Rated 03 Jan 2021
Who am I to argue with Scorsese that this is one of the most beautiful colour films? It is lush and warm, and also has a slight surreal quality. The ballet scene was a chef's kiss. Afterwards, I read the plot of the Hands Christian Anderson version of The Red Shoes, and children's authors were really wild in the past.
Rated 02 Nov 2018
A masterpiece in it's artful technicolor great performances and brilliant directing. For me Anton Walbrook steals the show as Boris Lermantov, that man had an incredible screen presence.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Actually one of the less good Powell-Pressburger movies, but good anyway
Incredible film and a wonderful experience on film
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 118
Rated 24 Apr 2008
Sad haunting beautiful and unforgettable. It made me wish there were more films with radiant red haired ballerina Moira Shearer. An interesting take on Hans Christian Andersen's dark fairy tale.
Rated 29 Aug 2008
What beauty! What marvelous beauty!
Rated 18 Sep 2008
Os sapatinhos vermelhos estreava há 75 anos na Suécia. Como conheço esse filme de cor, só assisti com o comentário de áudio do Ian Christie, Scorsese, Goring, Shearer, Cardiff e Easdale, como tinha o arquivo pirata da Criterion desde que saiu, não lembro se já tinha ouvido esse comentário antes, mas é excelente, todos os envolvidos contribuem muito a dimensionar a obra. Blu-ray Versátil.
Rated 04 Nov 2008
I can't believe people don't like the acting performances in this, is all. Walbrook is amazing, Shearer is very good especially considering her lack of training, and Goring is occasionally blah but it sort of comes with the weepy artist character he portrays. I love this movie because it plays like a dark version of Singin' in the Rain, which is a personal favorite to begin with.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 04 Apr 2009
Interesting film which shows a lot of behind the scenes looks of the entertainment world.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
The film is halved by a stunningly gorgeous ballet sequence. The first half before it is light and understated, whereas the second half graduates to a downright melodramatic conclusion. All of it is majestically produced, meticulously detailed, visually arresting, generally some of the best directing you're ever likely to see. Walbrook gives a great performance and the others are just fine, and it's written just well enough by Pressburger to be consistently fascinating.
Rated 22 Nov 2009
About artists and art; great ballet
Rated 10 Jan 2010
Captivating.
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 20 Mar 2010
Astoundingly lush classic, a perfect meshing of dance and film. Hallucinogenic dance sequences, fantastic romance, and the whole film's aged beautifully.
Rated 02 Aug 2010
I watched this via Criterions Bluray, the technicolor transfer was fantastic. Wonderfully vivid color and great detail. I found this a very enjoyable film, even the long ballet sequences kept my rapt attention.
Rated 11 Feb 2011
watched: 2011, 2012, 2017, 2023
Rated 15 Feb 2011
Red Shoes flips between being a wonderful classic with great artistic direction and a watchable afternoon over dramatic weepie. I'm still undecided.
Rated 04 Jul 2011
Although I love ballet. I do not think much of this. Perhaps I watched it with the wrong mood.
Rated 21 Jun 2022
I felt like I had missed something and went back to double check I'd caught everything. The end conflict where she has to choose between dance and Julian makes no sense. Why can't she get married and still have a career? People did that back then so I don't get it.
Rated 17 Aug 2011
This movie is fantastic. I have a huge thing for ballet, so getting to see it in beautiful Technicolor with occasional Melies-esque editing and transitions is a real treat. It's definitely one of the best films I've ever seen, and the dance sequence is THE best thing I've ever seen on film.
Rated 18 Aug 2011
Lovely film. The ballet sequence is absolutely gorgeous. If only all ballet was that excellent.
Rated 28 Aug 2011
Definitely not without its flaws -- some of the overt, overly literal symbolism, particularly in the central dance scene, seems sophomoric in juxtaposition with the maturity of the cinematography. But it didn't stop me from loving both the dance scene and the rest of the movie.
Rated 06 Sep 2011
This film has many, many flaws, but the ballet scene in the middle is breathteaking as also the usage of Technicolor, that really brought the "magic" here. Walbrook was good, as for Shearer - that woman could dance !!!
Rated 30 Oct 2011
Better than years ago at first time watching, but still don't see how it's regarded so highly. Visually beautiful but the dancing gets boring in the middle, and the plot is not brilliant all the way through. One of those films where the factors driving the story towards a tragic end are understood, but not felt strongly enough to give it praise for succeeding properly in its goals. Not pretentious, but somewhat over-dramatic compared to the build-up.
Rated 18 Oct 2020
There are some great moments; in general it's a brilliant movie until Lermontov learns about Craster's and Page's relationship, from that point on the movie loses part of its strenght. Still, it's a solid work about the destructiveness of excessive ambition, and also about inclinaitons that fight inside every person. The characters are incredible.
Rated 30 Dec 2011
A perfect film that everybody should watch.
Rated 15 Jan 2012
Ahh, what a beautiful movie. The ballet performance was gorgeous. Astounding production design, really impressive visual effects for the time and some of the most spectacular dancing I've seen on film. I've never really been into ballet but it was very mesmerising to watch. A true classic and clearly an influence on Black Swan (2010).
Rated 15 Jan 2012
The art direction and the ballet scene in the middle where very good.The story however never really interested me and never fully explored the relationship between the dancer and composer.It really felt like a lot of the plot between them happened off screen.The ending was really melodramatic and I didn't like it.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
Brilliant film with the most amazing on screen ballet ever. Stunning.
Rated 12 Jun 2022
Compelling to see cast members that can both dance extremely well and bring their characters to life too. The big setpiece in the middle is a grand slam and exactly what "movie magic" is all about.
Rated 26 Jun 2012
Gorgeous production in one of the truest portrayals of ballet. The Red Shoes doesn't boast one of the most unique plots ever told, but pair it with P&P's direction and a classic is born.
Rated 02 Sep 2012
In time the film would make a lot of money. More than that, a classic was established, that inspired generations of dancers or balletomanes. Much more than that, it inspired people to be part of those beleaguered groups that did "art." The Red Shoes has a pioneering place in that special history of movies that are not simply musicals but stories with music. But neither has any film been so clear about the polar loneliness of a genius like Lermontov.
Rated 16 Nov 2012
"Black Swan" dan önce izlemi? olmay? dilerdim.
Rated 10 Jan 2013
The central 15 minute long ballet performance is maybe the greatest scene in cinema; Vicky dances through time and space, through emotions and sensations, in her mind her performance takes her across land and sea and colour and we get to see all this brought to the screen.
Rated 05 May 2020
Harika oyunculuk. Dönemine göre üst düzey efektler ve müthiş bir konusu var. Konusu yer yer çok yavaşlıyor ve bu izleyiciyi konudan koparıyor. Sonu da hiç hoşuma gitmedi. Genel olarak güzel bir film
Rated 20 Aug 2014
a pillar of my fantasy
Rated 17 Feb 2015
the film begins with a composer and a dancer trying to succeed. it's immensely british and filled with a hilarious back-and-forth of elitist insults. at halftime there's a glorious rendition of the red shoes ballet. all of this is painted with some of the most beautiful technicolor i've seen. sadly, the finale dismissed with most of the performances, rehearsals and witticisms in favour of a love vs ambition melodrama that was only the most predictable way it could go. eh. very nice, though.
Rated 07 Jul 2015
I'm not sure what this movie did in the background or something, like why did i enjoy it so much?? omg
Rated 19 Dec 2022
Ok so 90% of this movie is a reasonably familiar, unremarkable story about ambition vs. love that hasn't aged too well. But 10% of this movie splinters off into an absolutely batshit hallucinatory dance sequence that breaks all sort of convention and logic. I also think the ending is a bit more taboo and thought provoking than it may initially seem.
Rated 25 Feb 2016
Star Rating: ★★★★1/2
Rated 10 Jul 2016
Everything in the first two acts is so fucking good, it's really a shame it turns to eye-rolling melodrama towards the end. Slightly longer comment here: http://pasted.co/7a540b38
Rated 04 Sep 2016
Not nearly as brutal or biting as Aronofsky's The Black Swan obviously, but the actual ballet sequence is pretty trippy.
Rated 05 Jan 2017
What a beautiful looking movie
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Big, beautiful film-making, and the British paid for it. Happy!
Rated 18 Apr 2018
Very beautiful - nice dance sequence
Rated 28 Apr 2018
Never been quite as fond of this as I'd like to be. Maybe it's because I find Vicky a somewhat bland protagonist, or maybe it's because I just don't care that much for ballet. It's gorgeous to look at and generally compelling - and P&P were so brilliant that even lesser work from them still trumps most work from other directors - but on some level it always leaves just a bit cold.
Rated 19 Jul 2018
I feel like the plot moves untypically fast for a melodrama like this. Did I watch this at double speed? It went on like a train on it's way to crush a little ballet dancer. But of course it was wonderfully melodramatic and lovely, all those gowns and international dancers and partitures and such, ah!
Rated 19 Jan 2023
Vicky Page is a nepo baby
Rated 16 Nov 2018
Rated 16 Jan 2019
Beautiful. It has the greatest second act I've seen for films of its time period. The technicolor really shines, and the directing did a wonderful job playing with color and its use for expression. Red truly is a beautiful color. But as the final act is reached, the film loses its momentum and hastily wraps things up.