The Return of the Living Dead
The-Return-of-the-Living

The Return of the Living Dead

1985
Comedy, Sci-fi
A bumbling pair of employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air... (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV
The Roku Channel
Hoopla
Pluto TV

Luckily for me, this 80's cult classic zombie horror/comedy managed to live up to all the high expectations I had built up for the movie over the years, never actually seeing it. Fortunately, it was love at first sight, as this insanely quotable, campy, punk rock, black comedy was just a delight, and should practically be a must see for genre fans. Maybe my favorite line/exchange in a movie in a while: "It worked in the movie!" "Well, it ain't working now, Frank!" "YOU MEAN THE MOVIE LIED?"
Opens like someone's twisted take on Abbott and Costello Meet the Living Dead. Pretty damn hilarious at times, pretty damn naked girl on a car at others. Not enough gets said about movies that feature crematoriums, but I can't think of a bad one.
This is one of those films that I would put into a time capsule that symbolized the 80's. It mixes hilarious zombie cheese, punk rock, camp, and actual scares all into an effective mix. The effects are revolting but awesome too. Some of the lines are infinitely quotable "Send more paramedics" and this is due in a large part to Dan O'Bannon's great screenplay.
When the title card popped up stating it was a true story and that no names had been changed, I knew I was in for something special.
A very enjoyable horror/comedy hybrid, delivered with a great deal of enthusiasm by all concerned. It's actually pretty well put together, and holds up even today despite being very much an 80s film in every sense. Loved the hammy exposition linking it to Night of the Living Dead. There are moments of genuine comedy, tension, and some likeably revolting effects. I suspect you might have to be in the right mood to watch it, but definitely worth a look.

Submitted byfloortapfloortap on 27 Mar 2006