2010
Fantasy
Animation
14-year-old Arrietty and the rest of the Clock family live in peaceful anonymity as they make their own home from items "borrowed" from the house's human inhabitants. However, life changes for the Clocks when a human boy discovers Arrietty. (imdb)

2010
Fantasy
Animation

Rated 19 Nov 2011
Arrietty is one of those films where seeing tiny people use a clothes peg as a hair band and a leaf as an umbrella never stops being cute. Where simple things like walking up a staircase made of nails and climbing a ladder of staples seems magical and amazing. Narratively there's not very much going on, but the charming exposition of the Borrowers' living situation just about makes up for the lack of original plot ideas. With the catchy music on top, it left me wanting more of life in miniature.
Rated 28 Oct 2011
I loved every-single-detail. Well-animated as usual, creative, the Ghibli trademarks, i.e. animals (cat!!!), nose forms, faces are well-known friends from other Ghibli movies, giving a feeling of comfort to me as a Miyazaki fan. I especially liked music in the end fit the movie incredibly well, it definitely gives the movie a bittersweet taste with a mixture of peace and sadness, so is life... Overall, not a Miyazaki masterpiece, but still a wonderful Ghibli movie and definitely re-watchable.
Rated 22 Feb 2012
Simply a joy to watch. The music and animation are beautiful. The attention to detail is something we've come to expect from Studio Ghibli and there's no shortage of intricately designed scenes here. While it's not quite as bizarrely unique or fantastical as most Miyazaki features, it's a great adaptation of the 'Borrowers' story. The message of bravery in the face of uncertainty is a little rushed, but sincere. Arrietty is a wonderful lead; a good role model for girls approaching adolescence.
Rated 24 Feb 2012
To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed with this Studio Ghibli film, but perhaps my expectations were too high. It was quiet and slow and I guess I just thought there'd be bigger stakes, but that's fine. It was beautiful and charming, just like I anticipated. It was cute, heartfelt and genuine and I definitely recommend it.
Rated 20 Jul 2011
Feels more like a short story than a fully fledged movie, mostly due to the somewhat sudden ending. It's not an entirely bad thing, but as a result many aspects suffer, especially the characters who don't get enough room to develop. Nevertheless, it is beautiful and enjoyable; something to watch on a lazy, rainy day.
Rated 28 Jul 2011
A practically perfect adaptation of the Borrowers, perhaps it's so impressive because this was the director's debut. The only drawback is that its so short, but that may be why its so re-watchable.
Rated 30 Sep 2012
Certainly not one of Studio Ghibli's best efforts. It pales in comparison when stacked against heavyweights like Spirited away and Princess Mononoke. But it is, nonetheless, a richly detailed, refreshingly unhurried, and tenderly affecting effort despite its slightly underdeveloped themes.
Rated 16 Jan 2013
Charming and mesmerising - the antidote to the noise of American cinema.
Rated 01 Jan 2020
Lacking in one of Miyazaki's strongest qualities: imagination, but that was expected since this is an adaptation of an already well known book. The animation is still great, the story is good, and as a directorial debut Yonebayashi may indeed carry the flame for decades to come. It's a shame Ghibli lost him.
Rated 24 Feb 2012
The kind of gentle, whimsical morality tale you expect from Ghibli. It doesn't thrill me quite like some of their other films, but I'll be damned if it's not some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. The sense of scale is amazing: small details become opulent ornaments, little sound effects are exaggerated.
Rated 29 Jun 2020
Arrietty is a delightful protagonist and everything is exquisitely pretty, the bobbing flowers and the sunbeams and the rain, but the script is lacking and the soundtrack (though also exquisite) never quite clicks. What's with the whimsical harps while characters are discussing extinction (and what's with characters casually discussing extinction)? Gorgeous to look at, and the story could have been something, but in the end it's a largely disappointing, if still pleasant, effort.
Rated 10 Apr 2012
Not the best Ghibli, but very beautifully drawn and with sound effects that really bring across the feeling of being small. Very lighthearted film.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Wow, what an immensely charming film. Just a great theater experience. I didn't cry because I'm a heartless monster (I sat dry-eyed through the opening of Up too), but grown adults all around me were sniffling and dabbing their eyes.
Rated 10 Nov 2012
Charming, sumptuously animated Ghibli picture. It's a little unevenly paced, and some characters and plot elements feel a bit half-baked, but the movies general warmth and likability shine through. The brilliant sound effects deserve special praise in particular, in what may not be a Ghibli classic, but is certainly still an entertaining addition to the collection.
Rated 04 Mar 2012
It's got the mark of most studio Ghibli films these days: gorgeous animation, an awesome score, and a simple story that feels short for whatever reason with a rushed conclusion. That comes off much more harsh than I intend though, and the movie is definitely one of the better recent Ghibli films.
Rated 22 Feb 2012
As is customary with Miyazaki, the heart is in the right place and the world is believeable. But unfortunately the movie never really takes off.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Nice and simple, but ultimately not as whimsical or moving as many of studio Ghibli's other works. This movie does show the promise in Yonebayashi's ability to direct, though.
Rated 21 Jan 2014
Even for Studio Ghibli, this film stands out for excellence in animation. The sound design sticks out in particular. The film does an incredible job using subtle transitions to mark shifts in scope (including ingenious use of racking focus), as well as using sound and fluid animation to convey weight and heft at two different orders of magnitude. The pacing could've used a tweak or two, and I didn't like the sudden shifts in dialog volume, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Beautifully animated, with clever visual design. The banal details of the ordinary human world become extraordinary and new. The way tension is built through sound during Arrietty's first borrowing is amazing. As bittersweet as only a Ghibli film can be.
Rated 26 Aug 2012
A bit light with a rushed ending, but it's pretty charming and fun.
Rated 15 Jan 2013
I can't think of any reason to recommend this film as long as the other great Miyazaki films exist. Don't rent your kids this movie; rent them one of the others. And if they become the fanboys and fangirls that many of them will, let them rent this one when they get older.
Rated 09 Jan 2012
my kids will see this one day
Rated 13 Jun 2014
English dubbed version. Probably the least entertaining plot to come from Ghibli. It's overly sentimental throughout and lacked any of the fun scrapes that should have provided the much needed humour. Nice visuals and sounds but nowhere near what i've come to expect from Ghibli.
Rated 24 Oct 2012
Lovely animation, but the main character lacks psychological definition and the story telling is not quite up to the visuals.
Rated 15 Apr 2012
Touching, adorable, sweet, and generally just awesome. Easily one of my favorite movies of 2012.
Rated 01 Mar 2012
Another Studio Ghibli classic. The animation is top notch as always, and so is the creativity and colors. The gimmick of them being small never really got old, no matter how many times they used small human inventions in creative ways. It was fun watching them make their ways across the house. The movie is very lighthearted, it doesn't feel like there is ever a real threat, but that doesn't stop it from being engaging. My only complaint is how the humans were so casual about the borrowers.
Rated 30 Dec 2012
Charming but lacking in dramatic tension and lacking in good pacing. The first act is great and sets up a very immersive world with excellent animation and sound design, but over the course of the film this dwindles and the last part of the film ends abruptly with resolution to a relationship that didn't really feel deserved. I saw the UK dub, which was excellent, but maybe the voice acting was incongruous with the animation leading to my interpretation of the film. Fantastic art design though!
Rated 08 Feb 2015
One of the more lightweight Ghibli adaptations. Not much of interest here. Carol Burnett's random sound effects are pretty entertaining in the English dub, though.
Rated 07 Jan 2013
all lonely, endangered children making sweet, clumsy gestures in a world that tremors with dangers a thousandfold, and wonders too. it's the only romance (albeit mainly platonic) i can remember where a parent's intervention is perfectly justified and never questioned by either party; great to see a father avoiding overprotective caricature, though the mother's comical hysterics and housekeeper's sneaky villainy are rather more generic. implicit class concerns enrichen proceedings still further.
Rated 17 Jul 2020
Not as memorable as other Ghibli films. The story and characters are very similar to other Ghibli films, but with less things standing out. So, having seen those other Ghibli films first, this was a bit underwhelming. The animation is nice and the story and characters are decent, but the pacing is a bit off at times and it didn't feel like something truly unique.
Rated 15 Apr 2012
Technically marvelous in every aspect, lovingly filled with wonderful little details that are a joy to discover. I took some issue in the writing though, it stumbles in properly leading into a last act, establishes the villain very clumsily and goes nowhere with the boy's disease that it constantly feels forced to remind you off.
Rated 15 Dec 2012
I have to give this movie points for not going with the super-obvious expected plot. There's quite a lot of setup in the first half of the movie to make it look like there's going to be a very predictable ending, but I had my ability to call it tested. I like the way they animated pretty realistically, and the sound design was also well done. The sound effects really give a huge sense of scale to the normal-size people and animals whenever they do things.
Rated 20 Jun 2011
Great animation, okay story.
Rated 05 Jan 2013
Pretty empty and boring. All Disney-ized.
Rated 04 Apr 2012
Studio Ghibli missed on this one. Well drawn as always, but a miss in the acting department and in the story.
Rated 28 Aug 2012
I watched the US version and will arnett did a great voice for the father. I really enjoyed this start to finish.
Rated 20 Mar 2012
A good story with great animation and direction throughout. Studio Ghibli never disappoints.
Rated 26 Dec 2011
This charmed the shit out of me. Amazing sound design, and overall utterly adorable execution. If Ghibli continues to make films impossible not to love I'll be forced to go through their entire back catalog... What a chore.
Rated 14 Mar 2012
Not bad, but low on the scale of Studio Ghibli releases. I'm not sure what message the film was trying to convey, if it in fact had one.
Rated 16 Jul 2013
Cute, but lesser Ghibli: there's not quite the same level of emotion or mood-capture here as in many of their other titles.
Rated 15 Mar 2020
Cute ecological fable about what can be considered the central theme of all Miyazaki's work: the ability of different people/species to live together.
Rated 04 Dec 2013
Among the lamer Ghibli films I've seen
Rated 18 May 2013
Great adaptation of The Borrowers. Great animation. Great, fantastical story. Studio Ghibli is great. Yep. One thing: the old caretaker seemed hellbent on starting a little-people holocaust. That was weird. Fuck you, old lady.
Rated 19 Mar 2012
This is the worst film that came out Ghibli studios. I think that the involvement of Walt Disney and the mediocre child book nature of the story ruined their mojo. The story was extremely bland. Even the animation quality wasn't that high. The only thing I enjoyed was the soundtrack.
Rated 17 Oct 2013
I watched this considering I don't like Japanese cartoons and since its a remake I thought it turned out very good I also thought the story was great.
Rated 06 May 2012
Amazing shots of mouse-sized human civilization. Really cool to see full-size human stuff repurposed.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
Visually lush, refreshingly free of family-friendly clatter, and anchored with soulful depth, The Secret World of Arrietty lives up to Studio Ghibli's reputation.
Rated 05 May 2021
Arguably the most "Disney" of all the Ghibli films, there needed to be some more dramatic conflict apart from the kooky servant.
Rated 21 Feb 2012
Beautiful film that takes its time establishing mood and setting. Very touching and very nice subtle touches / call outs to previous Ghibli works.
Rated 03 Jun 2013
Rated 20 Nov 2012
Man when the main character boy started talking about depressing stuff he was pretty freaky. Beautiful film, story not too memorable.
Rated 23 May 2012
Another charming Ghibli film.
Rated 17 Nov 2012
Low-stakes and boring, which is okay, but it's not heartfelt enough to make up for it. It's not bad but it's not as great as most of Ghibli's output. Score is not a grade.
Rated 03 Jan 2012
A stunning piece of work from Japan. Again! The animation was just amazing. The story was sweet and nice as it was.
Rated 15 Aug 2022
I loved the Borrowers as a kid so it makes sense that I immediately latched on to the cozy life of Arrietty and her family.
Rated 10 Jul 2016
Better than the live action Borrowers. Very cute movie.
Rated 17 Mar 2012
A really sweet movie
Rated 31 Dec 2012
A nice story, beautifully animated, it's just a pity about the ending.
Rated 30 Apr 2016
It's no secret that I like movies from Studio Ghibli. This one based off the book "The Borrowers" is pretty excellent. Arrietty is probably one of the cutest little characters I've seen in a film. The whole movie is just very easy to watch and enjoyable. Also, the animation is really, really well done. I loved the voice work of all the actors especially Will Arnett as "Pod". Seeing the world from the perspective of the Borrowers was really interesting...
Rated 12 Mar 2013
The music is so, so pretty, and it's accompanied by some beautiful animation and some great world design. Much of the film, in particular early on, is filled with a sense of wonder and I loved seeing how these little people traversed their terrain. Admittedly some of the writing felt a tad clunky and the characters weren't developed quite enough for the ending to really hit home emotionally for me, but I enjoyed the film very much.
Rated 13 Jul 2013
One of my least favourite Studio Ghibli films. Needed crazy Japanese animals.
Rated 30 Dec 2012
Pretty and better than the Borrowers film but a bit slow with an uneven cast (english ver).
Rated 28 Dec 2011
Studio Ghibli does it again! Another classic animation hits us in the face from the far east while Disney Studios are left to try to figure out how to make more money of of Pixar's back. The Borrower Arrietty crafts a wonderful world that is filled to the brim with detail. Every scene just beckons the viewer to take a journey there but the fact we can't actually go there is made all the more unbearable by the beautiful soundtrack that it is accompanied by. Get lost inside 2010's hidden gem!
Rated 25 May 2015
Beautiful animation and an eye for detail in a small world that will make you fall in love with it, but nothing really happens.
Rated 04 Apr 2022
Arietty: "Human beings are dangerous."
Rated 01 Dec 2013
The plot might not be as extravagant as some other Ghibli features, but this is still a charming and subtle piece of gorgeous animation, intricately-detailed sets, and warm and wonderful characters. With a surprisingly poignant conclusion, 'Arrietty' is a refreshingly peaceful breath of fresh air amid far too many hyperactive and loud animated features pandering to over-stimulated nine year-olds.
Rated 19 Feb 2024
Nice movie, with the usual attention to details being a given highlight of the movie. Still feels rote for Ghibli standards, but easy going and a cut above most animated content regardless.
Rated 13 Feb 2012
Not too terribly exciting but still decent entertainment.
Rated 22 Feb 2012
Another treat for Studio Ghibli fans. Miyazaki's mark is felt here, even if he's only credited with the writing, as the entire production breathes like one of his great films. The setting doesn't change once, but it's lavishly painted and the sound work is worthy of an Oscar. Just an outstanding production through and through.
Rated 10 Nov 2013
Big fan here. Guilty of giving it a 100.
Rated 06 Mar 2021
Did the world need Studio Ghibli's take on The Borrowers? Probably not. The art is up to standard, but there are few surprises and the dialogue is at times off.
Rated 04 Jul 2019
Arrietty excels at adapting the quaint rural world inspired by The Borrowers, and delivering a down-to-Earth story that is focused on the characters, without the heavy mysticism usually featured in Studio Ghibli films (though maintaining the beloved animation style). The voice acting (in the American/ Disney dub) was alright. The soundtrack was great, though it occasionally stole the limelight. I particularly liked the wholesome rewarding of kind-heartedness and the dismissal of ego.
Rated 17 Nov 2018
Iloveherinstantly+hessickly+usesoundsowell+crow-shoesmacklmao+nativeborrower+dollhouse+gavethemknewkitchen-scaredmelol+heOPinaweek+ladyfindsthemcuzhim-mominjar+havetoleave-runstosaybye-shegivesherhairclip+neversawheragain-nextsummerheardhousedownroadhadthingsgoingmissing
Rated 26 Aug 2013
The animation was unimpressive and annoyingly slow, but pleasant. The plot and characters were both decent, though the conclusion was unsatisfying because it didn't go nearly far enough. The soundtrack was fantastic.
Rated 20 Oct 2020
When the kid said he had a heart condition I was kind of hoping it would turn into Magic School Bus and the little people would have to perform emergency heart surgery on him.
Rated 04 Apr 2018
Well done book adaption with great visuals, a nice story and some clever concept and characters. There is less deeper meaning than behind some of the other Ghibli movies. But this movie is far from harmful and can be enjoyed be people of all ages.
Rated 13 Nov 2011
Nice movie, really beautiful backgrounds as everything else. Fans of the Ghibli films won't be disappointed. However, I would have liked more depth of story, for instance the motivation of the female servant.
Rated 27 Apr 2018
Holy snoozefest with lame music.
Rated 17 Feb 2012
The latest Studio Ghibli feature to grace American screens, The Secret World of Arrietty brings the expected grandeur and imagination with a grounded reality not seen since My Neighbor Totoro. Hiromasa Yonebayashi directs the world of the borrowers with an eye as keen to the extraordinary as any of Miyazaki's works.
Rated 06 Aug 2021
???????????/??????
Rated 15 Jul 2016
Great little story with good voice work, creative animation, and one of the better family of characters depicted in a film.
Rated 24 Mar 2012
This didn't work for me. As my friend puts it, it lacks depth. At first I was wowed by the cleverness of their world and the use of sounds and imagery. But the plot wasn't exciting and I wanted more from it -- like about the history of the Little People, or maybe a villain that wasn't a crazy old maid with little purpose. I found a lot of the music nauseating. I suppose making the boy ill was a way to it seem more serious, but I just didn't care for the nuances others might see in this.
Rated 14 Feb 2012
Haven't seen the dub yet, hope it lives up to this masterpiece watch it with subtitles, it's amazing.
Rated 23 Mar 2020
i like the way how miyazaki's signature environmental concern is slipped in there
Rated 01 Nov 2020
It's missing John Goodman but everything else is just splendid.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
Not my favourite, but still Miyazaki.
Rated 04 Dec 2013
i didn't find this to be really much worse than anything miyazaki's done. perhaps not as inventive as him, but they both feature simple and sentimental fantasy stories which are rather fun to watch.
Rated 18 Jul 2021
A cute little animé with engaging characters.
Rated 11 Apr 2012
"Plunging below the grass line to capture a miniature world in precise detail, The Secret World of Arrietty offers exactly what its title promises, unveiling this secret milieu through thoroughly meticulous animation." - Jesse Cataldo
Rated 03 Mar 2022
This film has a good script and a interesting premise. The animation is a joy to look at in this movie. Overall I would recommend this film.
Rated 29 Mar 2018
Among the most beautifully animated Ghibli films, and with a terrific soundtrack to boot. The characters are very sympathetic and the core concept is interesting and well-realized. I don't think that this one speaks as much to deeper themes that adults can relate to as some of their other work, but it's an all-around great movie.
Rated 10 Oct 2011
Below par for Ghibli, but still very nice.
Rated 27 Feb 2012
A simple and charming story told well.
Rated 04 Nov 2011
hikaye cok yarim gibi hem de ne anlatilmak istenmis bilemedim. ufak yastaki izleyicilere uygun.
Rated 02 Jun 2012
well-made and fun to look at but I didn't get into it so much. Watch out for the tacked-on ending in the American version that implies the sick and dying kid got better.
Rated 25 Aug 2012
Technically immaculate, but I want more mystery, more questions.
Rated 08 Sep 2013
I've long given up on the prospect of Ghibli doing anything as original as Totoro, Porco Rosso or Spirited Away ever again, as they've grown quite predictable and kitschy, so I came into Arrietty with low expectations. Sure enough, it didn't bewilder me with crazy imagination, and it is expectedly sweetened, but I was still pleasantly surprised. It's thoroughly entertaining, simple, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for children.
Rated 11 Feb 2012
Sweet and lovely film.
Rated 28 Jul 2017
Surprisingly well adapted. Worthy.
Rated 18 Feb 2012
Studio Ghibli does it again, this time with an adaptation of "The Borrowers", scripted by Hayao Miyazaki, directed (very well) by first-timer Hiromasa Yonebayashi. If it doesn't quite have the lyrical purity of an original Miyazaki story, it's no less affecting; in fact, it's a rather melancholy film, with the Borrowers themselves facing constant trial and isolation, and a full-size boy plagued by illness and loneliness. Top-notch animation and voice acting; perfect for any family audience.