1991
Young FBI agent Clarice Starling is assigned to help find a missing woman to save her from a psychopathic serial killer who skins his victims. Clarice attempts to gain a better insight into the twisted mind of the killer by talking to another psychopath Hannibal Lecter, who used to be a respected psychiatrist. FBI agent Jack Crawford believes that Lecter who is also a very powerful and clever mind manipulator have the answers to their questions to help locate the killer. Clarice must first try and gain Lecter's confidence before he is to give away any information. (imdb)

1991

Rated 05 Mar 2019
This was very good. Seeing as it came out in the early 90s, I'm not surprised when people say it went on to define the genre. It's clearly a thriller, but the horror elements are pretty creepy as well. Jodie Foster is very good and Anthony Hopkins is practically flawless as Hannibal Lecter. The story keeps you on edge or guessing almost the entire way, which is impressive in my book. Loved Shores score. Solid work from all and definitely worth watching for the performances alone.
Rated 15 Sep 2008
One of the best suspense thrillers of all time. Anthony Hopkins found the role he will always be connected with. But the movie is also important regarding the role of women in those kind of movies. Where they have been always the victim, they now, for the first time, get a leading role in the solving of that matter. A milestone in more than one aspect!
Rated 15 Dec 2019
First things first: The much-celebrated Hannibal Lecter is in fact a preening, cartoonish supervillain whose theatrical mannerisms and nigh-superhuman abilities are rather silly and at odds with the film's more realistic elements. Despite this, the film is undeniably an effective and intense thriller whose influence is still being felt 30 years later. (But really... how'd he get the pen?)
Rated 19 Jul 2008
The most eerie, amazing and incredible thiller ever made. Hopkins and Foster's performances are groundbreaking, a landmark in acting if you ask me. Hannibal Lecter is still today one of the most chilling and terrifying horror icons ever.
Rated 08 May 2009
The performances from Hopkins and Foster are easily the core of what is the best horror film ever. You can't help but be riveted by both of them - I wanted to look away from Lecter, but something in Hopkins' performance forced me to look into his cold eyes, which made the creepy sensation of the movie even more effective. Foster as Starling is an amazing heroine as well, who conveys both strength and vulnerability in a sympathetic and extremely believable way.
Genius. Brilliantly adapted from the excellent Thomas Harris novel and turned into a film that swept the major Oscars. Iconic performance from Anthony Hopkins.
Rated 16 Mar 2008
Hopkins rules, movie rules, book rules, book rules even more after the movie because you now have the Hopkins Hannibal Lecter.
Rated 18 Jun 2009
It's rare that a film scares me anymore, but this is genuinely chilling. The material certainly has a lot to do with that, but I think Demme's direction and the strong editing are important, as well. The performances are very good, but I actually prefer Foster's to Hopkins'. Throughout the film the onus was on her to both represent fear and build suspense and she did both well. Awesome stuff.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
Hateful and destructive to the already splintered U.S. collective conscience. More vomit-spewing mediocrity masquerading as "horror". Lacking all the charm and finesse of Karloff's truly terrifying (to this day!) Frankenstein, Hopkins manages to pull the wool over every american's eyes by equating banal violence and gore w/ the true meaning of terror. If you want a truly frightening serial killer, stick to the lethally underrated Jason in Friday the 13th: A New Beginning. -Armond White Jr.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
Hannibal Lecter will always be one of the most terrifying villains in movie history. Superb movie, story, direction, acting. As a genuine horror fan, this is one of the few movies that has inspired nightmares for me.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Hopkins gives us the most terrifyingly eerie performance film has ever seen. This movie will send chills down your spine.
Anthony Hopkins is creepy, and Ted Levine is terrifying. One of the best thrillers ever.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Arguably the best thriller/horror movie ever made and for good reason. Hopkins is enthralling and terrifying as the brilliant but psychotic Hannibal Lector. A must see.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
16 minutes of screen time or not, Hopkins' turn as Hannibal the Cannibal might just be the most memorable film performance ever given. He manages to sculpt a character of chilling, impersonal intellect and macabre violence. He dominates the movie, but the rest of the film is extremely well-done, culminating in a tense underground pursuit that's one of the great horror sequences.
Rated 24 Dec 2013
Transphobic garbage
Rated 28 Oct 2018
Everything in this is done well and I can't find a glaring flaw. The exchanges between Foster and Hopskins are so obviously the star here that I actually wish we had gotten more of them, but that's more of just wanting a great thing rather than a criticism... though I think more would make a better film. It's eerie, intelligent, haunting, and the ending only pushes those feelings forward. Not an absolute fave of mine but still amazing, worthy of its status.
The Hannibal Lechter character is easily one of the greatest of the 20th century, either in literature or film, and Anthony Hopkins just owns it. Not to mention that Buffalo Bill is oh so quotable.
Rated 25 Jun 2008
Recognized as one of the greatest films ever by many, this film was a huge success when it was released and has endured time and is still a huge success. Creating two legendary film characters, staying true to the novel which the film was based on and winning five Oscars is only a few of this films' achievements. It's an iconic thriller and has gone down as one of the best. If you have been living under a rock and haven't seen this film, I cannot recommend it more. See it, you won't regret it.
One of the best thrillers ever made. This is so perfectly edited that there is a real flow to it (particularly in the last 15 minutes). It allows you to fully experience the savagery & the almost unbearable terror of these events without ever showing you anything truly gruesome - which makes it even more frightening. Jodie Foster & Anthony Hopkins give two of the greatest performances in 20th century cinema.
Rated 11 Feb 2015
One of the most perfect films ever made, regardless of genre. It won big at the Oscars and deserved every bit of it. Everybody talks about Anthony Hopkins' performance, and he is outstanding - but it's Jodie Foster who carries the movie, with a pitch-perfect performance as the perpetually-scared yet still always competent agent-in-training Clarice Starling. It's a beautifully nuanced performance, and she's so good that Hopkins' lack of screentime almost doesn't matter. Just an amazing thriller.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Not only the greatest horror movie ever made, but quite possibly on the greatest movies period. Anthony Hopkins plays one of the greatest characters ever portrayed in film and Jodie Foster is spectacular as well in this chilling film. To sum it up there's a reason this film swept the "Big Five" Oscars at the Academy Awards.
Rated 17 Jan 2010
So the serial killer is a New England transvestite with a hammy vagina and keeps slaves in "their" well. The omnipotent brain is a well spoken theatric englishman and the protaganist is a quaint christ-like southern woman. How do you react to a film such as this? If you see it at 13 it leaves an entertaining indelible mark. As an adult it's ho hum but it's undeniably influential. It brought real sexual and psychological deviance to the American table and that is something to be celebrated.
Rated 20 Jun 2009
Anthony Hopkins is the creepiest villain of all time
This film is proof of the importance of actors. With lesser leads this would be a 3rd rate movie, yet Foster, and especially Hopkins, do such wonderful jobs with their respective roles that the film is actually tense, captivating and at times terrifying.
Rated 26 Mar 2011
The Silence of the Lambs functions as one of those movies that I like everything about, except for the whole "watching it" part. I like the plot, I like the characters, but as a film and a thriller I found it rather pedestrian, so I appreciate its existence more than I would enjoy actually watching it again, if that makes any sense. Anyways, great plot, great acting, but it's otherwise a pretty typical watch without any standout direction. Score is not a grade.
Rated 08 Jan 2016
Hannibal Lector is an amazing villain and his performance lifts this movie up to being considered an all time great.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
The textbook psychological profile of our infatuation with grotesqueries. Pulp, exploitation, shock, and repugnance: this is the obsession everpresent in American media and culture. What elevates The Silence of the Lambs above any middling horror movie, sensational television series, or first-person shooter is, quite simply, smart and consummate taste in all things: writing, performance, and direction.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
The Silence of the Lambs is one of the greatest representations of acting in a movie. Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter is possibly the most bone-chilling characters ever caught on screen. Everything about this movie is excellent. It's truly the greatest suspense movie ever made.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
A fine creepy thriller, restrained in its handling of violence. Excellent performances by Hopkins and Foster.
Rated 07 Mar 2010
God dammit. Now I have to come up with something interesting to write about this best of all horror movies. I can see how people would use the term thriller, but it is truly horrifying. Hm.. that's not interesting... I could.. write that whilst a lot has been made of Hopkin's Lecter, the trick is actually in the dynamic between him and Clarice, as becomes obvious in the horrendous sequel... and... oh hell. We all know it's Lecter for the win.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
Really creepy, and yeah, Hopkins rules.
Rated 24 Dec 2010
I think the series lost a lot when Jodie Foster didn't reprise her role after this, the twisted sort of "chemistry" between Clarice and Lecter goes a long way to make this film into the classic it is today. The film also touches on sexism with the Clarice/Crawford angle and how the guy generally treats her, it isn't immediately obvious but I think it's there. Great movie and definitely a personal favorite of mine. It's still uncomfortably awesome.
Rated 16 Jul 2018
Reigns supreme. TSOTL is still the standard when it comes to great serial killer films. So much has been taken from this film at this point, and yet it still manages to be uniquely electric.
Good story, with an incredible character in Lecter.
This film is brilliantly acted by all, but Anthony Hopkins stands out anyway. His portrayal of Hannibal Lecter will chill any viewer anytime they see it. Silence of the Lambs is a truly amazing and terrifying psychological thriller that delves deeper into the mind of a deranged man that many people can handle. Awesome!
Rated 03 Feb 2017
Interesting and gruesome antagonist. The atmosphere can be terrifying and sickening.
Rated 22 May 2015
i hate psycho-thriller serial killer tv shows, and this looks like it inspired every single one of them. the absurdly cartoonish villain has such a complete mastery of manipulating his subjects that he might as well be god. shitty television aesthetic, extremely unpleasant torture crap, and basically a complete waste of time. though i thought the transgender stuff was pretty hilarious, in an unbelievably stupid sort of way.
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Dr. Hanibal Lecter is the most charming psycho i have seen on screen. This movie have it all - crafty directing, great script, memoriable acting. The scene when Lecter knocks the guards, listens to classical music and then looks up is unforgettable. My favorite serial killer movie.
Everyone knows that it's all about Anthony Hopkins here, and his 15 minutes of screen time are the best 15 minutes of the film by miles. But even outside of him it's a tense, dark, unsettling cop drama, and it's good stuffs.
Rated 27 Oct 2015
One of the many films that probably doesn't need little ol' me writing about, mostly because everything has already been written. I loved the first scene of Clarice meeting Hannibal, if only because of his piercing stare compared to Clarice's uncomfortable shifting. I am the only person in the world who loved that scene!
Rated 20 Jan 2011
A movie that entertains the brain as much as the eyes. "Silence of the Lambs" is a gripping psychological thriller with a lot of character development. Clarice Starling and Hannibal Lector have such a great Hero/Villain relationship, which really strengthens the film. And it's a good thing that the actors, Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins, act them so well. Anthony Hopkins, in particular, is exceptional and is my pick for the best screen villain, even with less than 20 minutes of screen time.
Rated 13 Feb 2011
"it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again" vs "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti". Buffalo Bill vs. Hannibal the Cannibal. No matter how you look at it this movie is just awesome!
Rated 21 Feb 2011
it watches the movie and acknowledges the superior craftsmanship and performances, or else it gets the hose again.
Rated 09 May 2009
superb suspense, and excellent Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins
Rated 25 Jun 2010
chills down my spine goodbye horses.......
Rated 24 Jan 2018
Suspense: The Movie
Rated 22 Apr 2009
Everything about this movie is great. Anthony Hopkins is pitch perfect but his dominating performance is nothing without the outward strength (and inward quailing) of Jodie Foster. I can watch this movie again and again.
Rated 21 Dec 2009
Lots of grim, dark and creepy views of the serial killer Buffalo Bill's life and obsessions with his sexuality. The FBI agent Starling working the case seeks out a imprisoned serial killing cannibal named Hannibal Lector to help her find Buffalo Bill.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
It is certainly one of the greatest classics of the police and suspense films of all time! The incredible interpretation of Hopkins as a cannibal, could not be more realistic.
Rated 13 Oct 2009
Iconic, complex and so freaking scary. From the score to the visuals to the casting to pacing, this is a perfectly executed horror movie.
Rated 21 Oct 2017
rarely have i seen an actor/actress seem so tirelessly aware of the camera's probing as foster here. even when the feminism is at its most contrived or hamkins is cannibalising the scenery, demme's close-ups trust her to sell a range of feelings and power dynamics, and she nails it. various men are analogised with hannibal, yes, but crucially the audience are too; she's the caterpillar squirming under our gaze (like bill, 'not born but made') until finally she sheds, transforms and breaks free.
Rated 16 Apr 2009
Summarize this film in one sentence and you get the following: an independent young woman trying to make a name for herself as an FBI agent tries to track down a serial killer. Sounds boring, right? Wrong. "The Silence of the Lambs" is able to take that tired trope and spin it around with relative ease. "Silence" swept the Big Five Oscars without much trouble and I think every one of those Oscars is justified. Most deserving Best Picture winner ever? Possibly.
Rated 26 Mar 2014
The answer to the ultimate question of this film is; yes, I would fuck him. I'd fuck him so hard. Goodbye horses.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Such a disturbing movie with an outstanding performance from Hopkins.
Rated 18 Jul 2009
never understood what's the big deal with this one
Rated 23 Nov 2006
Stunningly haunting; an example of two of the best performances of the 90s.
Rated 25 Jul 2010
Hannibal Lecter is probably the coolest villain ever imagined
Rated 05 Jan 2012
Mandatory!
Rated 15 Apr 2010
Great movie
Rated 26 Apr 2016
Believable, creative, ultimate cult classic. Anthony Hopkins is stellar.
Rated 03 Sep 2012
Iconic thriller.
Rated 14 Oct 2010
It's ridiculous that people can say that this film does not quite classify as a horror. What could be more scary than to watch a film, only to realise that the film is watching you?
Rated 13 Apr 2014
Great modern psychological horror film. masterfully shot and acted. Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are great and Scott Glenn and Anthony Hearld put in decent performances in supporting roles. Considering what was going on at the time the film was released(dahmer murders) adds another level of creepiness to the film in retrospect. Still holds up some 23 years later.
Rated 26 Feb 2010
Extraordinarily engaging thriller with a delectable script and outstanding performances. There's not much to be said beyond that it is excellently made in nearly every respect, tension is wonderfully conveyed, the pacing is spot-on, and the film is precisely shot. My only issues revolve around the belief that the film simply doesn't elevate beyond an upper-class thriller, it never reaches the Hitchcock realm of perfection, all its aspects are excellent, but none are awe-inspiring.
Rated 22 Apr 2011
Fly awaay, fly away, fly away, fly away...fly away...
Rated 06 Sep 2015
A great thriller if a little dated. Jodie Foster and Hopkins are very well played, though in the end I didn't find the main villain actually that interesting.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
One of the finest suspense movies ever made. Jodi Foster is underrated in this movie, and I can't say anything about Anthony Hopkins' performance that hasn't been already. Too bad about the sequels, though.
Rated 30 Sep 2009
The number One Thriller ! This Movie is frightening !
Rated 22 Aug 2012
Is it really that much to ask to put the lotion on the skin? It seems like "the crazy guy" was helping the girl maintain her youthful glow to me.
Rated 04 May 2012
Both Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster give outstanding, deserving Oscar winning performances in this film. The script is excellent with many exciting scenes and thrilling moments. This is a great film that I highly recommend.
A great, memerable and chilling thriller that features two of the most perfect performances in a movie.
Electrifying crime thriller, Foster and Hopkins are both in fine form.
Rated 08 Oct 2018
Bolstered by an exceptional performance from Foster and a career-defining performance from Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lamb transcends standard crime drama and is so tense and thrilling it could be seen as a horror film. No matter what genre this is defined as, it is a classic among the best of its ilk.
Rated 14 Apr 2009
It's amazing how well it's lasted. The sequels only showcase it's brilliance.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Overall excellence. Only "horror" movie to get Oscars. Also a movie that's better than the book it came from. Koodos for both.One of the best.
Rated 11 Dec 2011
It is scary .. it is very good .. Antony Hopkins is superb as Dr. Hannibal Lecter Hannibal Lecter: First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek? Clarice Starling: He kills women... Hannibal Lecter: No. That is incidental. What is the first and principal thing he does? What needs does he serve by killing? Clarice Starling: Anger, um, social acceptance, and, huh, sexual
Rated 21 Jan 2011
Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are perfect in this thriller. Literally edge of your seat, the whole time.
Rated 04 Nov 2009
Buena
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Sir Anthony Hopkins is my favourite psycho killer....
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Genre defining thriller made super stars out of Hopkins and Foster. Ted Levine is truly creepy.
Rated 26 Apr 2014
Pleasantly grimy and creepy, with enough breathing room between the scares to leave the audience on edge and invested in the film's outcome. Never tries to hide the airport-fiction qualities, but never shies away from breaking those conventions to make a stylistically interesting, if not well-plotted thriller.
Rated 22 Feb 2013
Great performances, incredibly creepy. It's rare that a horror movie accomplishes as much as this one does. It's a shame that its myriad sequels and prequels are apparently terrible.
Rated 08 Mar 2018
Good classic movie. A little too slow for my taste, yet it is pretty enjoyable.
Rated 12 Oct 2014
Awful acting (OVERacting) and a mere scrap of a script turn what could have been an excellent thriller into an absolute lobotomy.
Rated 23 Dec 2010
Absolute masterpiece in every way! One of the very few movies I can say is perfect. It is by far THE most suspenseful movie I have ever seen. It ranks in my top 5. Doesn't get much better than this. One of the best movie expereicnes of my life
Rated 21 Oct 2010
I really liked this movie. Anthony Hopkins is a perfect Hannibal. The only problem with this movie in my opinion is Jody Foster who always seems to look and act exactly the same in every movie she's in.
Rated 06 Sep 2023
Highly quotable due to the silly voice factor. It doesn't give me nightmares but it does make me walk around the house doing awful imitations of Foster and Hopkins for a few days. And Buffalo Bill? You got a three-part harmony right there! It occurred to me on this watch that this movie would make a great Broadway adaptation, and yeah, turns out someone already made Silence! The Musical in 2005.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Whats not been said about this film? It's a masterpiece of suspense and eeriness.
Rated 22 Jun 2009
What a let down. Everyone goes on about this film as if it's something great while really it is the opposite. Over-rated American garbage that's what this is. Poor acting, boring story... I can't understand how this is so popular!!
Rated 30 Oct 2009
Few movies scare me more than the terrifying killer that Clarice Starling has to track down with the help of the psychopathic Hannibal Lecter, brought to life by Anthony Hopkins.
Rated 25 May 2010
Disturbing and captivating. Hopkins at his pinnacle.
Hopkins' performance once seemed brilliant... now it feels utterly ridiculous and hammy. Also, some of the leaps of logic that Clarice makes are a bit hard to swallow. Otherwise, a pretty compelling and scary film.
Rated 11 May 2009
Starling Darling.
Rated 11 May 2012
Creepy, tenseful, and all around awesome. 8th Favorite Film Ever
Rated 26 Jul 2008
One of the most overrated movies of all time. Anthony Hopkins' performance is absurd, not frightening.
Rated 15 Aug 2013
From a hammy, schlocky pulp fiction novel comes a movie of immense tension, creepiness and suspense. Two absolute stand-put performances from Hopkins and Foster. Doesn't rely on gore or yuk factor for scares. Excellent and atmospheric music. Generally top notch!
Rated 10 Jul 2013
Legendary, a monumental achievement in film-making.
Rated 20 Feb 2008
Oh this is a good movie. It scared the bleep out of me the first time I saw it. There's a reason it swept the Oscars. And that would be because its a good movie.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Anthony Hopkins is just fantastic. Still love this film, even after seeing it tons of times.
Rated 29 Jul 2008
This film, along with Se7en, are the gold standard of the genre.