1973
In 1930s Chicago, a young con man seeking revenge for his murdered partner teams up with a master of the big con to win a fortune from a criminal banker. (imdb)

1973

Rated 24 Feb 2014
If you see one movie this year, make sure it's not "The Wolverine". Watch this instead. And avoid the sequel like the plague.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
As entertaining as they come. Great period portrayal, a stellar lineup of both stars (Newman/Redford) and character actors (Robert Shaw, Charles Durning, Harold Gould, Eileen Brennan), a really fun and twisting plot, and all those great Scott Joplin interludes. I found myself laughing out loud at how much fun I was having at times.
I love con artist movies, but they're all kind of the same. Always at the end there's the moment where they reveal the bigger con that you didn't know about. Since you know it's coming you spend a lot of time second-guessing everything. So, it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on in The Sting. But it's entertaining anyway. And I like Scott Joplin, so that's a plus.
Rated 13 Jul 2009
A very worthy best picture winner. The Academy really loved crime movies around this period (French Connection in 71, Godfather in 72, this in 73 and Godfather 2 in 74). Paul Newman is such a badass, I really wish there was more of him. My only complaints are some weak editing and *SPOILER* Hooker refusing his cut at the end. Seriously, wtf? At least take the money and give it to Luther's widow, since that was the whole point - revenge for your ex partner.
Rated 29 Dec 2016
Lonnigan's #2 looks like Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
No small feat, The Sting is every bit as elegant and charming as its Scott Joplin soundtrack.
Damn fine entertainment. Also good luck not having the soundtrack stuck in your head after watching.
Rated 09 May 2012
Maybe it's because I'm lazy and can't imagine anyone ever going to that much trouble, but the caper... it's a little over-elaborate, isn't it? By the time Newman gives all the extras their cut, there won't be anything left! Apart from that, it's a very entertaining film. Light and breezy in tone, great chemistry between Newman and Redford and terrific attention to the period details.
Rated 09 Mar 2012
At the start I wasn't sure I liked it or not, but damn, not long after the rusty start, it becomes so entertaining and fun. Simply fantastic, with great acting and a smart story! "Hey that would be real nice of you Mr. Largan!" Lonnegan... "*burp*"
Rated 26 Jan 2010
A clever, empty film, its emptiness hidden by the charisma of its stars.
Rated 26 Jan 2011
Redford and Newman are the definition of cool. They costar in two very different movies and are both amazing in each. The movie probably would have been ok in some lesser actors hands as it's well written and it keeps you guessing until the final scene, but the fact that these two juggernauts of the big screen were in it made it an instant classic. Love the theme song too.
Rated 06 Jun 2011
One of my favorite films of the '70s, which was arguably the greatest decade for film in cinematic history. Just a fun film with great performances and dialogue.
Rated 27 Jan 2007
Good acting, some cool twists and great entertainment, but, all in all, nothing monumental.
Rated 22 Jan 2018
A fun time that is made possible by a smart script that had some decent comedy, a lot of charisma from all the actors, but especially Redford and Newman, and a soundtrack that will play forever in my head. I'm not in love with it but I see its status as a great movie.
Rated 09 Jan 2016
An ending that will shock you for sure!
A lot of fun seeing smart characters pulling elaborate cons. Only problem is they are too smart, and ruins the suspense. Good performances all around, and a damn find sound track
I still remember the thrill of the first time I saw this film. It just delighted me, the way the pieces all fit together so smoothly. It was never quite as good again as it was that first time, that first surprise, but it holds up surprisingly well -- largely due to Redford and Newman, and the immensely talented supporting cast. A great caper movie. No, just a great movie.
Rated 14 Jan 2014
The return of the Newman Redford combo after the success of the overrated Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a bit better than their last attempt. It's charming, fun and Redford and Newman are great together, and of course I enjoy the Joplin, but it all feels a bit twee, a bit like some big game of dress-up, and it just wasn't fun enough for how insubstantial it is.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
A classic!
Rated 05 Oct 2007
A very well done movie with a couple great actors between Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Great movie.
Rated 15 Oct 2007
Fantastic film. Another classic.
Rated 29 Apr 2008
the best heist movie there is. unless i contradict myself.
Rated 14 Jun 2008
The appeal of "The Sting" is the perfectly clicking gear intricacies of its plot and the slick, assured directing by Newman and Redford's old "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" helmer George Roy Hill. It's pure confection, right down to its studio set realization of 1930's Chicago. On those terms, it's winning and engaging enough to make concerns about the softer elements slip away like a playing card up a sleeve.
Rated 03 Jul 2008
The plot is just interesting enough to keep things going, but it's worth seeing for a cast where every member seems to be at the peak of his or her magnetism. Aside from the obvious ones, I have rarely enjoyed watching Charles Durning as much, and Eileen Brennan is just spot-on fabulous...I'll gladly watch her do anything (and have--remember "At Long Last Love"??)
Rated 01 Aug 2008
Sting wins my award for favorite comedy, and it will always have a small place in my heart.
Rated 27 Oct 2008
A very fun "buddy" movie that hits all the right notes for enjoyment.
Rated 28 Oct 2008
well pulled off, with some very good acting. a wonderful story and a feel good ending, good characters and great idea.
Rated 01 Jul 2016
good film but I think they could have covered more about his life. His feud with Ric Flair for starters.
Rated 24 Mar 2015
It's pretty dated, gets bogged down during the middle and is very predictable but still lots of fun. I really dislike Robert Redford which is why I didn't rate this higher.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
The whole movie I knew there would be twists at the end. It still surprised me.
Rated 11 Sep 2009
I loved this. Redford/Newman chemistry together is of the highest tier. The story itself is smart and slick. Not sure why anyone would not enjoy this movie.
Rated 12 Sep 2009
Nothing about the lady hit man quite works for me anymore, but the rest of the picture is just dynamite. Just about as playful as a movie for grown-ups can get.
Rated 22 Oct 2009
Still don't know why I can't stand Robert Redford. Maybe it's because he's a bad actor.
Rated 05 Nov 2009
Robert Shaw is fantastic!
Rated 17 Feb 2010
The kind of movie i will never forget - Redford and Newman made their best.
Rated 16 Sep 2012
Classic caper, great performances, dialogue, etc. Pure talent from all sides.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Redford and Newman team back up again and haven't lost any chemistry. Add Shaw as a great baddie and one awesome movie is born.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
The quintessential heist-movie.
Rated 11 Oct 2010
ah! the best. great adventure, wonderful people
Rated 21 Jul 2014
:')
Rated 09 Jan 2011
Classic conman movie with great acting, solid directing and a superb script.
Rated 12 Sep 2022
This was very entertaining. Newman and Redford were a joy to watch, and the assembled cast did a great job. The ending was rather satisfying. The director seems to have made quite a few well-reviewed films...I'd be inclined to check some of them out after seeing this.
Rated 04 Dec 2016
Like any good con it's crafty, charming, and well-acted. A love letter to suspension of disbelief.
Rated 28 Mar 2011
I have such fond memories of this, a really good film
Rated 11 Apr 2011
Brilliant.
Rated 20 Apr 2011
Predictable plot, but it's a damn fun ride anyway.
Rated 25 Jul 2011
It's pretty uneventful as a con movie, but the charisma of the cast breathes enough life into it to make it entertaining.
Rated 11 Aug 2011
Yeah, fun. Classy fun, even. Substance, well, that's another matter. And if The Sting was the first of its kind, it's a shame that so many films and shows have since been emulating that con artist twist. It's like hearing an amazing joke hundreds of times for years, and then going to see the film where the joke originated from.
Rated 19 Sep 2011
Robert Redford, y'old scamp. I just want to gently put my knuckle to his chin and push it slightly so that he has to turn his head and grin.
Rated 29 Nov 2011
Wonderfully cast, Newman and Redford are perfect in there roles as com men. Sharp and well written, this film gives you so many twists and turns that at the end you still feel turned on end. This movie seems to have no dull moments, brilliant and exciting until the end.
Rated 06 Apr 2020
Nothing flashy here, but not a thing off or out of place either: the sets (within sets), soundtrack, cinematography, and scene transitions expertly craft the 30s-era stage, the script is stacked with slick dialogue and cool cons and some comedy too (see Henry at the poker game), and the talent hits at all home. A deeper dive into the lives of the leads would've been a great cherry on top (gimme more lines like this one: "I'm the same as you. It's two in the morning and I don't know nobody").
Rated 13 Feb 2007
Excellence.
Rated 17 Feb 2014
The premise and plot really take a back seat to the terrific acting and dialogue. Reminds me of Glengarry Glen Ross in that regard. Its just a great cast delivering some great dialogue. Everything else be damned.
Rated 23 Mar 2014
Oh it's funny...robert redford has charisma coming out his #$%!!!
A great caper/con movie with excellent chemistry between Redford and Newman. Entertaining stuff.
Rated 22 Mar 2019
Doyle Lonnegan: "What was I supposed to do - call him for cheating better than me, in front of the others?"
Great, great movie. Tons of twists and turns plus very good acting and a good storyline to begin with.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Not bad, but very dated.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Complex and entertaining film.
Rated 22 Jan 2017
nice movie
Rated 27 Jul 2016
Music in this movie sucks
Rated 17 Nov 2007
Funny, fast-paced, brilliantly acted.
Rated 19 Jan 2008
I've got nothing but pure love for this amazing classic.
Rated 26 Jan 2008
This is just good movie making right here.
Rated 19 Jun 2022
36+guythoughthestolethemoneybutRgotit:P-wholethingasetuplol+blackpartnerquitting+ibeenhomewiththeflualldayyoucanstakeoutmytoiletifyouwantlol+partnerkilledcuzbloodmoneyandcopswantedcutfromR+outcheatsinpoker:P+pretenddoublecross+fakehorsebetslol+guykillsfemaleassassin+towin!?hesaidplace!-FBIallowsRsoPshoots-killP-allfake
Rated 21 Sep 2008
Decent "classic" -- not sure if it's that great, though.
Rated 22 Sep 2008
Charme og en god gavtyvehistorie
Rated 23 Oct 2008
the Sting had a good plot and set up. i liked all the con acts and scams against other people. it had a great ending
Rated 23 Oct 2008
Also was forced to watch this in my flim and lit class. Was pleasantly surprised.
Rated 21 May 2012
Enjoyable movie but I wanted to like it more. Good characters and acting but the whole con just didn't seem playable to me. Doyle was also far too trusting for a mob boss.
Rated 02 Feb 2009
If Sundance Kid brought Redford fame, this one propelled him into stardom. The story is well crafted and executed with good pacing, while the beautiful bricks-and-mortar Chicago backdrop lifts the cinematography to a great level. Redford and Newman once again prove they're the best on screen duo ever.
Rated 08 Feb 2009
Executed with charismatic style and elegance. Story and acting are on point, and it's engaging throughout.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
The Butch Cassidy gang regroups for a Mission: Impossible-like caper, set in the urban 1930s. Re-creation of the period is pretty thorough in terms of interior decoration and clothing styles, but in terms of cinematic style it is done absent-mindedly, a dash here, a pinch there. The movie's main concern, though, is that you like the stars and pray for them to come through unscathed. Newman by now presumes you like him or no longer cares, while Redford keeps on pushing, pushing.
Rated 10 Mar 2009
A charming and entertaining film, which is based mainly in the great interpretation of Paul Newman and Robert Redford.
Rated 03 May 2020
Terrific. So well played by everybody, one of the twists completely got me.
Rated 11 May 2009
It pretty much had me from the oh-so-classy beginning. Idly, I wonder if they called each other "Butch" or "Sundance" on the set...
Rated 08 Jun 2009
needs more Paul Newman.
Rated 03 Jul 2009
My dad's recommendation didn't go wrong here. Good movie. Big fan of Paul Newman
Rated 07 Jul 2009
Nothing particularly outstanding about the plot, but much like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Redford & Newman just bleed charisma. Shaw is also excellent here.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
An absolute charmer. Great lead performances.
Rated 27 Aug 2009
Great movie! Good cast, very tricky plot and a surprise ending
Rated 26 Jan 2024
Best movie ever made
Rated 14 Feb 2015
The Sting is definitely one of the funnest films of the 70s. Paul Newman & Robert Redford masterfully collaborate for the second time and they effortlessly recapture and continue the fun of their first hit together - 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'. And the more than welcome addition of Robert Shaw just adds to the array of star quality. Tonally the understated humour and comic timing is balanced to perfection and the thoroughly enjoyable performances all round make this a timeless classic.
Rated 15 Mar 2013
There were many times when I didn't know what exactly was happening, but I loved watching the big con unravel.
Rated 25 Oct 2009
A very enjoyable con movie. Robert Redford is probably the handsomest man I've ever seen.
Rated 09 Nov 2009
saw this too long ago to remember specifically why i didn't hate it, but i definitely didn't.
Rated 21 Jul 2023
don't remember it well
Rated 11 Oct 2014
Quite probably the best con movie ever.
Rated 11 Aug 2010
The scam is ridiculous, but the movie is fun.
Rated 28 Dec 2016
Marvelous and packing in enough style to wow anyone yet never lacking for substance. Also helps that it has one of the best casts ever for a movie, so many grand character actors in this one to back up the legendary duo of Redford and Newman.
Rated 23 Feb 2013
A light and fun caper flick that has charm to spare. The chemistry of its stars is just superb.
Rated 10 May 2022
YAAAASSS MY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND
Rated 23 Jan 2011
The well executed plot is complemented by the beautiful portrayal of the 30s period through Joplin's music and the great cinematography and set design. What a fun time.
Rated 21 Apr 2011
Fun from beginning to end
Rated 09 May 2011
A modest but engrossing little film that pulls us into the plot thanks to a fine cast and a fun screenplay. The plot and characters are familiar, but the script keeps the twists coming and they may not be all that original, but at least they are unexpected and make the plot flow enjoyably. Newman practically steals the show as a professional con artist, while Redford is also decent as a charming grifter. Hill's direction is simple but works most of the times, although some techniques are dated.
Rated 09 May 2011
dolandiricilik, bahis, kumarhane (üc dolandirici bir gün bir kumarhane kuryesini carparlar. bunun üzerine kumarhane sahibi dolandiricilardan birini öldürtür. dolandiricilar sahnte bir hapishane kurarak adami dolandirir ve intikamlari,ni alirlar.) komedi olarak cok yetersiz. finali fena değil. ortasi bunaltti.
Rated 20 Jul 2022
ger; [der clou; the sting]; ein junger betrüger sinnt nach rache als sein partner ermordet wird - und bekommt dabei hilfe von einem erfahrenen freund für grosse coups.; (stark);
Rated 16 Jun 2016
A massive hit on release, yet I still have no idea how it beat The Exorcist, American Graffiti and Cries and f%@*ing Whispers at the Oscars! Unlike those films, The Sting has had zero influence on successive generations of film makers and isn't really talked about much now, and for good reason: it isn't that good. Sure it's an amiable time killer, the plot is relatively well constructed and Redford and Newman can charm the pants off the most pious nun, but it really doesn't add up to much.
Rated 20 Jan 2013
Great tone and pace. The banter is fun as hell.