The Tomorrow War
The-Tomorrow-War

The Tomorrow War

2021
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
A man is drafted to fight in a future war where the fate of humanity relies on his ability to confront his past. (imdb)
Amazon Prime VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreYouTube

I really enjoyed a lot of it. Explanation of time travel was solid and the alien reveal was very well done. The action overall was cinematic and very enjoyable. The third act was pretty absurd. The plot goes way too hard into throwing obstacles at our heroes and there are just a few too many conveniences to solve them. Some of the family drama aspects made me roll my eyes but oh well. I had a very good time overall.
The concept is intriguing but the execution is aggressively mediocre. It feels like it was co-written by a cliche-generating machine and a U.S. military consultant.
With a confused tone somewhere in between unfunny comedy and military action, The Tomorrow War is pretty badly written. But I guess that is not why we all pushed play. There are aliens that shoot bone spikes. That's why.
Distinctly average and about 45 minutes too long. It's like an Amazon AI took inputs of Interstellar+Edge of Tomorrow+Aliens and spat out a by the numbers plot that is changed just enough not to get in litigation. JK Simmons criminally wasted.
I like Pratt, I think he's charming, and there is a funny enough cast supporting it and its an interesting take on time travel and alien invasions both. BUT, its so long. It felt like it was four hours, and it goes so far off the rails it can't be saved. You could do worse if you are looking for a popcorn sci fi afternoon, but you could also do a lot better.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 09 Apr 2021