1995
Following a truck hijack in New York, five conmen are arrested and brought together for questioning. As none of them is guilty, they plan a revenge operation against the police. The operation goes well, but then the influence of a legendary mastermind criminal called Keyser Söze is felt. It becomes clear that each one of them has wronged Söze at some point and must pay back now. The payback job leaves 27 men dead in a boat explosion, but the real question arises now: Who actually is Keyser Söze? (imdb)

1995

Rated 06 Mar 2007
Maybe I need to see it again after all this while, but a good twist ending doesn't a good movie make, and that's all i got out of it. Tricks and giggles. I like Del Toro's mumbles though.
Absolutely brilliant. Kevin Spacey and Gabriel Byrne are fantastic, actually everyone in it is fantastic (even Stephen Baldwin who isn't commonly known for being in impressive movies). The script is intelligent and interesting. When all this is combined and the movie is character and plot driven you have a complete and utter winner on your hands.
Every beloved movie has a "that guy," and while I don't hate it by any stretch I'm afraid I may be "that guy" in regard to Usual Suspects. Don't get me wrong; the Keyser Soze story is badass, Kevin Spacey is great, and the final twist is pretty staggering - but it also renders everything before it nonsense, and I haven't been able to really get through the film without fast forwarding since the first time I watched it.
Rated 16 Feb 2008
Good, but hardly as clever as it likes to think it is. Also, it hinges entirely on a twist ending, making any repeat-viewing a dull, joyless affair. Overrated.
One of the greatest crime dramas of my generation. Rewatching this movie multiple times just makes you see how genius the pacing and story really are.
Rated 31 Jul 2015
The final twist renders the entire movie meaningless. I can't forgive that.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
If ever there was a movie where they wrote the twist first....
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Sort of juvenile and not very well written, being obsessed with a 14 year old's idea of cool dudes doing cool stuff
Over-praised, as seems to happen with modern noirish films, probably because good noirish films are now so rare (except for David Lynch films). It only takes one bunch of positive reviews for a bad, early film to launch an entire directorial career. The other factor worth mentioning is that, in the 1990s, there was a strange kind of will of reviewers to like Kevin Spacey films far beyond what any objective assessment would seem to allow.
Rated 19 Jan 2010
Saw the ending coming within the first 20 minutes of the film.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
(after repeat viewings) With a narrative and series of performances so strong, it's hard to dislike this unique film. I think I've seen it 3 times this week and I can't get enough of it. "The Usual Suspects" is an outstanding piece of American cinema, boasts some cool as heck characters and arguably one of the best endings I've seen.
Rated 19 Aug 2016
Like a desperate email from a Nigerian prince it tries to sell an inorganic, unconvincing, and confusing story in service of a clearly telegraphed rugpull that was probably less obvious in the 90's.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Possibly the most overrated film of the 90s.
Rated 28 Jan 2019
Yeah, i'm pretty sure that's not now police lineups work. The whole foundation of this movie is a lie. A. FUCKING. LIE.
Rated 15 Mar 2010
Never has an ensemble cast been so tight. From Kevin Spacey to Gabriel Byrne to Benicio del Toro, everybody performs above and beyond the call of duty, even Stephen "I'm as good as my big brother" Baldwin does great as McManus. The movie plot is one big mind fuck to the viewer and Bryan Singer pulls it off without us even doubting him. A masterpiece in modern cinema.
Rated 29 Jun 2013
I have to admit I saw the ending coming the whole time; I totally knew Bruce Willis was a ghost all along.
Rated 28 May 2015
So you're saying I sat through almost 2 hours of a thoroughly unengaging drag just to be basically told 'fuck you' in the end? Well played, movie, well played.
Rated 15 Feb 2007
The best "Ohhhh, shit" moment in cinema.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Man, I am so tempted to spoil this movie for everyone reading this review....but lucky you, I won't.
Rated 10 Mar 2013
I wonder what watching this film was like before someone spoiled the ending for you.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
An unforgettable mind-boggler, featuring a performance from Kevin Spacey you aren't likely to dismiss, and one thrillingly smart Oscar-winning screenplay from Christopher McQuarrie. Here we have Director Bryan Singer in early top-form before he dove into X-Men and Superman blockbluster heaven. One of my all-time favorites.
Rated 05 Feb 2009
Wow, how can you not love this? A simply superb script backed by some fabulous acting, particularly Spacey and Del Toro impressed me. A narrative structure like this is often a gamble, but for this film it's very fitting. Unfortunately I'd put off watching this for too long and the end twist was spoiled to me long ago, but I still thought it was an incredible experience. The last 30 minutes are golden, and it has you constantly re-thinking who Keyser Soze really is.
Rated 21 Oct 2007
Whenever I return to 'The Usual Suspects' I surrender myself completely to it once more. This was one of the key movies which kickstarted my obsession with film. It made me aware of the intricacies of narration, and I've been fascinated by unreliable narrators and the skills it takes to successfully misdirect with narrative ever since.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
Interesting thriller, with more than a twist or two--perhaps too many.
My friend blew the twist for me so it really didn't blow me away or anything.
I think I'll go as far as to say that this is within the top three best crime/dramas of all time, and I don't even know what the other two are. In all seriousness, this film is incredible in every way. Kevin Spacey and the twist ending will blow the mind of any first time viewer. The rest of the cast is right there with him in excellence too, even Stephen Baldwin who is usually to busy being a Baldwin to act, is good in this film. Awesome!
Spectacular depth and gripping performance. Maybe I'm not the most observant guy around, but even after the fifth showing, I still found some hidden nuances. Kevin Spacy pulls the rug around from under the whole show.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Outstanding is the only word word I can think of to describe this gem of a movie. Kevin Spacey gives his best performance and it has the greatest ending in cinematic history, the final sequence will leave your jaw dropped.
Not a bad film, but certainly a very overhyped film.
Rated 27 Oct 2014
I don't get the hype. A boring mess, not enjoyable to watch and just a bunch of drab 'tough' characters blowing smoke in each other's faces and swearing. A film that needs to try less hard to be cool and a little harder to be entertaining.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
I agree with those who say that this movie is mainly about the twist. Other than that, it's fine but really not that special, so you should indeed see it once for the impact.
Rated 01 Feb 2013
Full of twists (especially the ending) and good actors, The Usual Suspects should be tolerable to about anyone who watches it. One of Spacy's best roles.
Rated 13 Dec 2006
I love kevin spacey in this movie
Rated 06 Feb 2013
a group of criminals are rounded up after a big robbery. They all plot together to get revenge on the police for harassing them. The plot is twisted and convoluted, one of them is a criminal mastermind, pulling the strings, looking to settle old grudges. The police investigator puts all the pieces together but only after it's too late. Great suspense and mystery while watching it.
Rated 04 Oct 2017
"The Usual Suspects is nothing more than an over-designed lobster pot." - Desson Howe
Rated 12 Jan 2007
Good, but over-celebrated.
Rated 18 May 2008
one of the greatest plot twists ever put on film, and up until the end you'll be glued to the screen. it is no wonder why this was put up for an oscar, and it has some really good acting too.
Rated 06 Jan 2015
Was that the praised twist? Obvious since the beginning.
Rated 08 Feb 2007
This movie has so much going for it, it's beyond incredible. The acting is spot-on, the story is spectaular, and the style is amazingly cool. This is the one movie that I think everyone should see.
Rated 23 Mar 2008
I loved this the first time I saw it, but on later viewing, I realize how standard it is and how many of the film noir rules it blandly follows.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
This has an excellent script and is very well acted. Kevin Spacey steals the show in this movie and gives us one of the most incredible plot twists in movie history.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
What isn't obvious is pointless. Stupid ending too. I hate it when movies add an answer key.
Rated 24 Nov 2010
"The Usual Suspects has always kind of sat there, hoping that you'll love it for its twist ending." - Ed Gonzalez
Rated 14 Apr 2013
(He is gone...)
Rated 17 Jan 2010
This is probably one of the most overrated films ever but it's decent enough as a crime thriller even with the hype. The actors are all decent in their roles and hold up well enough on their own merit. I admit that I laughed the first time I saw the "twist" because the entire movie was just one big setup which felt totally ludicrous.
Rated 11 Dec 2008
This movie works like a swiss watch - great cast, good script, solid directing - it all ticks without any mistakes. Oh, and i have to agree with those, who says that it has the best twist at the end ever. It is as good, as it could have been. Highly recommended.
Rated 14 Jun 2007
Really well put together with one of the best cinematic twists in the last 30 years.
Rated 01 Mar 2012
No one ever believes me when I say I saw the twist coming. Maybe I had heard or read it somewhere and my subconscious stored it away, but upon reading people's opinions of it after the fact I was rather stunned that it actually was a twist. The movie overall is fine even though I find it to be one of the most overrated films ever.
Rated 23 Feb 2009
Saw the end coming, but a decent film.
Rated 08 May 2009
Well I was pretty excited about this film, but then left feeling blah. Not sure why but the movie just wasn't that exciting for me. I thought Del Toro was annoying, and just felt the way they did the story (going between the interrogations and what had occurred) was a little blah for me. There wasn't any one character that blew me away in this film (and I thought there would be). The ending was pretty good, but not amazing. At least I think I now know who Keyser Soze is.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Decent but holds up terribly for rewatching.
Rated 30 Mar 2010
Yikes! Watching this has made me realize how tacky my taste in art is. Alas, c'est la vie. What're ya gonna do? Thought the twist ending was just okay--I'm usually one to get blown away by such trickery, I have to say, but it actually didn't do much for me in this case. Spacey's great throughout, but the movie itself didn't really begin to entertain me until it was just about over.
I forget who said it, but some writer once said that the mark of a good story (I paraphrase) is that reading it will make you jealous, make you wish YOU had written THAT. I hate your guts Christopher McQuarrie.
Rated 15 Sep 2016
I'm with Ebert on this one. The execution of the twist is a highlight. The rest of the film is a confusing bore.
Rated 19 Sep 2018
A very well-written and tense crime-thriller, The Usual Suspects is far from usual and features some very good performances from the entire cast.
Perfect modern thriller moviemaking.
Rated 23 Jul 2011
Loved this so much. The acting, the script, the twist. Even Baldwin, who irritates me to no end, didn't distract me. Amazing.
a cult classic...Kayser Soze rulez !
Intelligent and profound film noir.
Rated 24 Jan 2012
Top notch. The little smile on Verbal's face as he's berated from behind is priceless. "There was a lawyer." This movie is so good it got a decent performance out of Stephen Baldwin. It's that good.
Rated 07 Mar 2011
Um, fuck this movie. It's gimmicky and bad and overrated.
Rated 25 Sep 2011
Pretty cool Tlot Pwist.
An absolute masterpiece, and despite knowing the twist, it's still eminently watchable over many viewings and a caper of magnificent cinematic power.
good suspense, then Bam! The twist from nowhere... Excellent pacing!
Rated 28 Mar 2011
The end hits you over the head like a ton of bricks. I can usually do a good job at calling how movies will end before it happens (even with plot twists) it took me till just before the end to figure this one out. Kevin Spacey has one of the best narration voices in Hollywood this side of Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones.
Rated 29 Nov 2008
The ending really helped this movie, but it wasn't actually a surprise. Still worth a watch though.
One of the most ingenious & fascinating thrillers of the 90s. Practically guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat & frantically guessing right up to the last five minutes. Who is Keyser Soze? You wouldn't believe me if I told you...
Rated 02 Dec 2011
#722
Rated 15 Jan 2009
One of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen. Pretty hilarious too.
If this is your first introduction to Benicio Del Toro, watch something else first. This movie is an awesome look at perspective itself. A great story of the criminal mind, and a guy who talks weird.
Rated 04 Sep 2016
I watched the whole film for the first time and I already had the big twist spoiled for me. I found the film to be okay because of it as there was absolutely no tension and wonder who Keyser Söze actually is. I was still looking for clues with this knowledge and found it kind of disappointing as the clues are simply not there. That being said, if you don't have the ending spoiled for you, this might just be one of the best thrillers to date.
Rated 07 Apr 2008
I know it's supposed to be a guy's wet dream, but I find it hella hard to care /that/ much.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Absolutely compelling. A joy to watch, every second is vital, right up the the twist. I don't think Singer will ever top this.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
Not as good as people think it is.
Rated 16 Jun 2008
The acting and editing are both great, but the fact that they crafted an entire movie around a plot twist doesn't get me too excited.
Rated 08 Jun 2009
The mid-90s really did produce some gems. Best the first time, but still enjoyable the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, well you get the picture.
Rated 27 May 2008
I like plotturns. This movie does the bestest job, with great suspense and lots of unexpected moment. It keeps you focused until you don't have a cl00 no more.
Rated 24 Nov 2007
Very good twisting thriller. Spacey top notch, Baldwin and Del Toro were also high class. The narrative keeps you on edge.
Rated 21 Dec 2006
The ending has a twist that once you see it, you will want to watch again. Well done and in my humble opinion, did not get the respect it should have gotten upon it's release.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
People who say the movie relies entirely on the ending twist seem to be ignoring the fantastic 100 minutes that come before. The plotting is excellent, the performances are among the best of each respective actor's career, and the mood hits a perfect note of mysterious and intriguing. The twist just adds a fun touch for the audience to chew on.
Rated 03 Feb 2007
Rated 27 Feb 2007
I believe this is up there with those movies that I could watch again and again, well into the future
Rated 04 Apr 2007
The best way to watch this movie is with somebody who's never seen it. The twist, and the reaction of others, makes it great; otherwise, it's just good.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Definitely a classic - once you've watched it, you'll want to watch it again. Kevin Spacey puts on a phenomenal performance.
Rated 25 Jun 2007
Although this film can be slow at first, the ending just amazed me. I did not expect it at all, and for that reason, it is one of my favourites.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
One of my all time favourites, I just wished I hadn't seen the last 15 minutes by accident on TV before I saw the rest.
Rated 04 Aug 2007
Kinda boring, but the end is pretty cool.
Rated 24 Jun 2024
très bon thriller
Rated 27 Jan 2009
awesome the first time, significantly less so after
Pretty decent twist.
Rated 09 Oct 2009
Re-watched for the first time in like 7 years (November 2013). This film just didn't age well. The line up scene is a classic, Kevin Spacey gives a good performance, and the twist is fun. But the rest is a convoluted mess. I scored this down 4 points.
Rated 31 Mar 2009
A good film (although not as great as the hype suggested), but very well made, with a good narrative and a nice wry smile at the end...
Rated 29 Jan 2008
The movie is slow, but the end is amazing. And make all the difference.
Very, very, very good crimi. Kevin Spacey is amazing but all the acting is generelly far above average.
Rated 19 Oct 2007
Brilliant filmmaking, at the end a giant eraser appears and erases everything you thought you knew. All good films have to be seen more than once and this film in particular.
Rated 03 Jul 2009
Good, solid crime movie, but with nothing truly special. By the time you reach the climax you just know who Keyser Soze has to be.
Brayn Singer officially stole my heart away when he laid this one out. If you haven't seen this, write Singer and apology and then go ahead and buy the damn thing.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
Didn't live up to the hype.
Rated 02 Jul 2008
If only the ending hadn't been spoiled for me beforehand. Dialogue is always a pleasure.
Rated 10 May 2008
Fantastic until the surprising end