1998
Sport
Just an oddball mama's boy from the back bayous of Louisiana, Bobby Boucher (Sandler) never wanted anything more than to quench the thirst of the dehydrated athletes who treat him like dirt! But when Coach Klein (Winkler) makes the call that allows Bobby to finally stand up for himself, it unleashes a torrent of bottled-up frustration ... and exposes a talent for tackling that transforms him from a meek "water distribution engineer" into the hardest hitter ever to roam the gridiron! (Buena Vista Entertainment)

1998
Sport

Rated 01 May 2012
The Rob Schneider Project - day 7. We lost a member of our science team today. Dr. Roberts shot himself in the face as soon as Sandler uttered his first lines, mumbling "Oh god he's gonna talk like this the whole movie isn't he" before pulling the trigger. Unfortunately we can't delay our studies because of this, tracking the mental effects of seeing Rob Schneider is too important to the world. His presence in this shitpile was limited to a merciful few seconds. Schneider-annoyance factor: 4
Rated 18 May 2014
This movie did for football what Cuba Gooding Jr.'s "Radio" did for, well, football.
Rated 20 Jul 2007
Adam Sandler made this movie because his agent caught him eating out of a dumpster. Again.
Juvenile, immature, and just plain stupid. A movie for the stupidest of the stupid. I can't believe adults made this.
Adam Sandler does a silly voice and does silly things. While it's better than some of his other movies that's not saying much. At the end of the day it's a forgettable flick unless you're a big Adam Sandler fan.
Rated 22 Sep 2008
While Waterboy is incredibly juvenile, even backed up by the fact that I usually don't like Adam Sandler and that large proportion of the jokes don't really work, for a brainless comedy to watch with others it really isn't all that bad. It's a film you can almost fall into, in a drunken stupor or otherwise, and still get some enjoyment out of it. Sandler's typical part as the village idiot is entertaining, but doesn't really hold much ground against anything of substance. Not too bad really.
Rated 27 Aug 2009
"You can do it...." Have you ever heard somewhat quote this line in a hypergetic tone? If you have, you probably are talking to someone who has seen The Waterboy. This comedy staring Adam Sandler is one that will surely have you rolling with laughter. This film is about a true momma's boy who ventures his way into the real world as he idolizes water and becomes a pretty popular football player. Whether you like football or not, this film is one that you will watch over and over again!
Not as bad as some of Sandler's later films, but I think this is the turning point at which Sandler's movies went from "moronic but funny" to just "moronic"
Rated 08 Aug 2008
The mama humor in this film is pathetic, and as always it's quite retarded and stupid. But for some reason, I always end up liking it.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Sometimes The Waterboy is funny but usually it isn't. It's not quite as awful as a lot of other comedies but it doesn't come anywhere near the level of Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison.
It shocks me every time I see the fact that Adam Sandler makes $20,000,000 per comedy, when he in fact, is just not funny.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
They phoned in this movie, so I'm phoning in this review.
Rated 31 Mar 2008
It's kinda funny, on occasion. But it's a goddamn disgrace to all sports movies that THIS is the one with the highest historical receipts. Yuck.
Rated 17 Apr 2008
Hey Sandler talks with annoying voice. That's gotta be funny. Right?
Rated 14 Jan 2009
More obnoxious manchild antics from Sandler.
"He spit in the c-c-coola."
Rated 27 Jan 2007
Yeah, it's corny, but, come on it's an Adam Sandler movie what did you expect? You didn't expect it to be stupid? That's your fault. Anyway, I could watch the scene where he reads letters from his dad again and again.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
wasn't impressed
Rated 16 Mar 2007
The beginning of the end when it comes to Adam Sandler comedies.
Rated 08 Jan 2014
A few good jokes, but largely of it's time. Crass, slapstick and uncomfortable 90s idiot comedy.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
The funny voice again. Like Little Nicky all I could hear was the shrill annoying voice. Other than that a couple decently funny physical gags a joke or two and the utterly creepy Balk.
A few laughs maybe. I could think of an endless list of better ways to spend an hour and a half.
a movie you could watch for years and years and never get old.
Rated 14 Jun 2024
Hydrate everyone! Or Vicky will cut you!
Rated 03 May 2011
Loveable tale of a retarded foosball playing super hero/retard. Retardedly funny.
Rated 16 Jan 2023
In a film like this, it all hinges on the jokes. If the jokes don't work, then you won't enjoy the film. I have been going around the home today saying, "high quality H20", so the film does have that.
Rated 08 Apr 2016
One day, Adam Sandler is going to look back on his life and realize that Waterboy was one of his better movies. That's saying a lot about his quality as an actor/writer, and America's quality as a consumer of films. And FUCK Rob Schneider.
Rated 24 Sep 2011
Good movie for ages 15 and below..
Rated 05 Dec 2006
Sandler plays retarded. Again.
Rated 30 Dec 2006
And now, the excited southerner manages a football team
Rated 26 Sep 2010
I have fond (but vague) memories of this film, however whenever I think too hard about it I just cringe.
Rated 20 May 2009
The material is so cliched and recycled that I wonder why Sandler, Coraci, and Herlihy decided to make this after the huge success of, "The Wedding Singer." They should have known this was a big step down for all involved. They should have known that Sandler was much better off actually having a realistic character to play, and they also should have known that sports-type movies have been way overdone. The type of film that must have been made for 8-year-olds. It is sophomoric, and it is dumb.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
It's actually quite funny. It's also quite terrible. Decent for a single viewing with the right audience. Not a film I would watch by myself.
Rated 05 Apr 2007
Some hilarious scenes dispersed amongst some really bad ones.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
F
Rated 26 May 2007
Momma says....
Rated 04 Jun 2007
terrible... seems to be a reoccuring theme with sandler
Rated 13 Jun 2007
Haha...one of my favourite Adam Sandler movies.
Rated 23 Jun 2007
A kaugh here and there, but an overall weak movie.
Rated 31 Dec 2013
There are some funny moments in the movie. The main character of the movie gets a little annoying after awhile. The script is predictable with no real surprises. Overall this film is a slight disappointment.
Rated 30 Aug 2010
More like yo mama hurhurhur.
Rated 28 Feb 2015
Not funny, even though I like Adam Sandler. The movie seems to be a little more than his average movies, but it starts to bring boredom and slow scenes, tiring and discouraging. Didn't manage to watch it in one go...
Rated 25 Jul 2007
A Classic comedy with dozens of quotable lines
Rated 03 Aug 2007
Because I'm a native of Louisiana, this movie spoke to me.
some classic scenes and some classic lines...love adam sandler
As far as Adam Sandler movies go, I find this one particularly annoying and I actually dislike Bobby Boucher, even though he's the one we're supposed to be rooting for.
Rated 20 Dec 2013
This is an insult to its genre with low humor and cheap gags.
Rated 29 Mar 2015
2.29/5
Good on A.S for making this film. I mean, sure, every film is essentiall the same, but this one was just a cut above the rest, one of the last quality movies before everyone realised, "hey, is this deja vu or what?"
Stinking unfunny stupid poop of a movie highlighted by by painful looking football tackles.
Rated 01 Aug 2015
I liked it when I was 12
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Childish fun. One of Sandler's better comedies.
Rated 21 Feb 2017
Silly, stupid, but insanely quotable Adam Sandler turns up the idiot goof shtick of his to new heights in this college football farce. Sandler takes the zany stupid aggression of his characters in "Billy Madison"(1995) and "Happy Gilmore"(1996) and ratchets it up and puts it inside a sweet naive back woods country bumpkin mama's boy football savant.
Yeah, it's an Adam Sandler movie. Just like all the others.
Funny from beginning to end. Sandler and his crew again show their versatility.
Rated 15 Jun 2024
One of the better early Sandler comedies. Most of it is juvenile, but some bits get a laugh. Most of the football players "jokes" don't land. I know calling a disabled person retard was considered peak comedy back then, but it certainly hasn't aged. Nobody in the town is redeemable. At least Sandler isn't playing a jackass in this movie, and he doesn't effortlessly convince a normal woman to like him. A criminal swamp woman is more fitting.
Rated 16 Dec 2013
Pretty stupid movie.
Rated 28 Mar 2010
I don't even remember what this movie is about. Does he give water to soldiers?
Rated 31 Jul 2009
One of Adam Sandler's better movies, which, going from the score, isn't saying much.
Rated 17 Feb 2009
I cannot explain why this film amuses me so much, but it does. So I'll keep on enjoying it. Not a patch on Happy Gilmore though.
The chemistry between Adam Sandler and Henry Winkler is not bad, and I guess there are a handful of funny lines and moments. A lot of it is just Sandler talking in his "funny" retardo-guy voice, though. Also, the team goes from underdogs to on top so quickly that the underdog sports narrative doesn't work that well.
Great entertainment.
You'll probably have to shut off your brain to enjoy this one, but if you're in the mood for mindless fun, this isn't a bad choice.
Rated 16 Mar 2010
I don't know if this is the film everybody would enjoy, but I found it hilarious. Sandler's character is a bit too unbelievable at times, but even then you can't help but cheer him on.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Adam Sandler is at the top of his game here, hence the score.
Rated 14 Feb 2009
if you watch it more than a couple of times it gets too dumb
Rated 29 Aug 2007
terrible.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Funny. And quotable.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
sandler isn't even that funny, but many parts of the movie still are
Rated 14 Jun 2024
My mama said this movie was the devil!!!
Rated 30 Apr 2012
Schneider quest: Film 7. Absolutely awful. Nothing, or hardly anything funny about this turd. That voice......... Schneider: You can do it! He acted the shit out of his role
Rated 20 Feb 2010
Rated 20 Feb 2008
Ok we are working our way up with the Sandler movies. I usaully like his stuff but this thing has been able to find three of his movies that just didn't do it for me.
Rated 22 Feb 2008
Stupid, but funny.
Rated 27 Feb 2008
Awful.
Rated 30 Mar 2023
It's so stupid, but damn it, it made me laugh a lot because it really reminds me of my emo footballer cousin.
Rated 21 Apr 2011
Bad Movie
Rated 10 Jul 2011
There's a few good jokes. Not enough to save it from the rampant stupidity, though.
Rated 30 May 2008
Old formula: Sandler, funny situations, "you can do it" , a good message.
Rated 20 Jun 2008
A SNL sketch that runs too long. Sandler has been much worse but this something only to watch when the remote quits working and it's stuck on TNT.
Rated 22 Jun 2008
I guess I just don't get it.
Rated 21 Jan 2012
Henry Winkler > Leslie Nielsen
Rated 21 Nov 2016
I saw this in the sixth grade and very much knew it was not good or funny.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
I love this movie..don't ask me why
Rated 09 Aug 2008
Seen it. Wish I hadn't
Rated 16 Aug 2008
I tried to watch this about two years ago, just to see if Sandler's crap really was as crappy a decade ago as it is today. And boy oh boy, it really was. Luckily he's made a couple of nice dramas (Reign Over Me, Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish) to justify HIS existence - his comedies don't have any justification whatsoever. Except money. Poor dumb american people.
Rated 10 Nov 2019
Big Show was in this movie. I don't think he was in wwe at this point. He was named Giant in WCW. Adam Sandlers Role in this is similar to Billy Madison. In this movie he's mentally slow.
Rated 13 Dec 2011
This movie made my skin crawl, Adam Sandler was more annoying than funny. Yuck!
Rated 05 Dec 2009
Not Adam Sandler's best movie and contains a lot of the same humour that his earlier and better films had, but it's not too bad.
Rated 02 Jun 2009
One of Sandler's best.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Love Adam. Great film
Rated 16 Oct 2008
Adam Sandler = Fail
Rated 09 Nov 2008
This has some really good laughs in it but is so bad.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
The Waterboy is an early prototype for the modern Adam Sandler comedy. You have some talentless friends who couldn't get a job without him, Sandler insulting mental illness among others, and a complete lack of coherence from just about everything from production to the script. However, one thing he didn't figure out yet was how to do it as cheaply as possible as it seems there is a real budget and he accidentally hired some funny people.
Rated 19 Oct 2009
This was just before Adam Sandler movies really started sucking dick.
Rated 18 Jun 2009
I generally enjoy Adam Sandler, but I am not impressed with this movie. I am a cajun myself, and there sterotypes are not funny or believable.
Rated 03 Oct 2009
FuuuuUUUCK
Rated 27 Dec 2008
I remember going to see this on a weeknight to see the premiere of the Star Wars: Episode I trailer before the movie.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
its with adam sandler so i like it... although it's kind of sad .. i mean... it probably had to be funny..
Rated 04 Jan 2009
Hilarious the first bunch of times I saw it. Now, while still funny, it's lost some appeal. Extra points for the Big Show being in it. Minus points because this started that stupid "You can do it!" thing that was quoted too much in real life and Happy Madison movies.