1973
Horror
Sgt. Howie travels to Summerisle to investigate the disappearance of a young girl. He discovers that the locals are weird and unhelpful... (imdb)

1973
Horror

Rated 23 Oct 2021
The ending was spoiled for me long before I actually saw the movie, and there are more than a few major plot holes, but this is still an effective mystery that builds a palpable sense of dread as it moves towards its iconic climax.
So delightfully weird. I can't imagine any film like this being made today. Truly a unique, magical creation. We need more pagan movies!
The Wicker Man feels like it's been brought into our world from some alternate reality. It's pretty weird and a bit quirky, but not without reason. It all pays off wonderfully in the end.
An interesting and thrilling film. The music, setting and acting come together quite well. The recreation of the pagan traditions are unique and surreal. The soundtrack is also quite good.
Rated 16 Mar 2017
Someone forgot to add "Musical" to the genre list. There's a part where the Sgt. turns a corner into a graveyard and there's a lady loitering in there breastfeeding holding an egg "Yes, yes I will see where this movie goes"
Rated 06 Jan 2010
One of the most unique films and greatest portrayal of religion's brainwashing power I've ever seen. I love ironic undertone of encounter between Sergeant and island's inhabitants, where both Howie and peasants believe in things that seem to be equally insane (sacrifice of god that gave christians eternal life vs. sacrifice of a man that gives food), but they can only see madness of the other one.
Rated 30 Nov 2008
*Cue great Scottish bagpipe music* HEATHENS! PAGANS! *Christopher Lee appears sporting a sexy kilt* HEATHENS! PAGANS! *The Wicker Man is sighted and, shortly thereafter, lights up the movie, literally* HEATHENS!
Rated 15 Nov 2007
I have long forgotten the feeling of shock by the way a movie turns out. Thrilling in every aspect. I wonder if Wicker Man has any inspiration on Hot Fuzz.
A unique and unforgettable film. It boggles the mind that today people are watching crappy remakes of classics such as this... is it that painful to get a hold of a good 30 year-old movie instead of going out and seeing a bad new remake?
Rated 21 Apr 2009
A claustrophobic thriller shot in a picturesque small town surrounded by pretty meadows bathed in sunshine, and accompanied with ribald folk songs? Of course that makes sense. Rare is a film which can create such an eerie atmosphere with such innocent matters, and the ending of course is a classic. Also one of the few movie soundtracks I have bothered to buy.
Rated 26 Apr 2014
My bad. Musicals are awesome.
Rated 24 May 2012
A great atheist's film and a clever attack on religion, particularly Christianity. Howie fails to see the parallels between the bizzare beliefs in both paganism and his own creed (such as parthenogenesis). At the end, the chanting of the masses is indistinguishable from his own incantation whilst he and the wicker man both burn. It also reveals the great lie about religion...Why would he fear a martyr's death if his position in the heavens would be guarenteed?
Rated 24 Jun 2009
Mysterious and weird, stemming from the bizarre mix of genres it inhabits, but it pulls it all off wonderfully. The interaction between Woodward's character and the pagans is extremely interesting and thrilling, and the last fifteen minutes are sheer terror. The musical parts are bolstered by the great music, and the surrealism of it all creates a great atmosphere. Unique and brilliant.
OH GOD... OH JESUS CHRIST!!
Rated 15 Nov 2008
Remarkable and very different horror, riddled with surprisingly complex moral issues (for this genre, anway). Fine performances, instantly dated (but oddly endearing) folk songs, an aura of general unease that never truly settles and Christopher Lee at the top of his game. At first you'll wonder what in the hell you're watching, but this one is a real grower.
Rated 07 Jul 2012
A clever thriller that approaches black comedy and satire in its treatment of a clash between cultures- namely, established Christianity and the revived paganism of the New Age. It's possible to read the story in a number of ways, and it manages a nice combination of horror, sexiness, and humor.
Rated 24 Dec 2014
Beautifully weird and weirdly beautiful, dripping with small town paranoia and a sense of dread that never really goes away. I saw someone describe this as the Citizen Kane of horror, but I think it's a little too different for that. The Wicker Man is the Wicker Man of horror.
Rated 02 Nov 2014
an ideal society tbh please set me on fire
Rated 20 Sep 2009
A truly one of a kind movie. Irreverent, beautifully shot and refreshingly strange. It has this peculiar sinister whimsy about it that no other movie really comes close to imitating. Christopher Lee is at his maniacal best, and the final scene is one of the most shocking, memorable scenes ever.
Rated 09 Oct 2008
Interesting Horror film, more the fact the main character is a devout Christian wandering into a strange world of paganism!
Rated 10 Jan 2009
Quite an impressive, creative and creepy movie. It's very suspenseful and yet it has a wierd playful and entrancing vibe thanks to the well embeded music throughout.
Rated 23 Apr 2007
It's the fact you know what happens (as every film program and its dog has spoiled the end for you) and it's still compelling and horrifying.
Rated 08 Mar 2009
Why don't they make films like this anymore?
Rated 23 Jul 2012
Delightfully offbeat horror that manages to nail the hypocrisy of mainstream religion without taking itself too seriously or coming across as preachy. The music, the pagan imagery and the strange characters all give the film a fresh feel that makes it a lot of fun to watch. Woodward's increasingly horrified reactions to each of the (perceived) depravities he encounters are a particular highlight.
Rated 23 Oct 2011
How can this film work so well, considering the pitifully low budget and all the problems the crew had in shooting it ?? This is how cult movies are made. A one of a kind and wonderful movie !!!
Rated 01 Sep 2010
There are a few things that lessened the impact of the film; knowing the end in advance (a real shame), the holier-than-thou attitude of the protagonist when it comes to religion, and the folk tunes that became distracting after a while. Still, the Wicker Man is an interesting mix of weirdness with some sexuality and brutality thrown in, leading to a classic climax. There is not much tension in the first hour though, so it took a while before it started drawing me in.
Eerily compelling, strange film, with a truly sinister and mischievous atmosphere which pervades everything. Kudos to Chrsitopher Lee and Edward Woodward for throwing themselves into their roles. The score is great, the ending better.
Rated 08 Mar 2015
The Wicker Man is an original, hypnotic, and totally bizarre 70s horror gem that you should not miss. It takes all horror conventions; throws them out the window; and does whatever the fuck it wants. Edward Woodward plays a powerless cop and does a fantastic job as well as Christopher Lee as the deranged pagan leader. The music numbers took me off guard, however, as with the rest of the film, they are really weird - but fun, and strangely it works.
Rated 08 Jan 2013
An excellent horror movie that goes deep into religious themes. It's an unforgettable movie with an unforgettable ending, and having Christopher Lee in there is always a good thing.
Rated 05 Oct 2013
At once an underrated horror musical and an unmatchable absurdist comedy, Wicker Man stills looks fresh and bizarre in its debate about blindness and the naive legacies of purity. Kids are taught to venerate dicks, people have sex and dance naked in nature, there's simply no Jesus or the concept of sin and rituals present weird songs and violent performances. The Christian cop never loses his innocence -- and finally gets the meaning of sacrifice. It's the sunniest gothic film of all time.
Offers some genuine scares and an interesting look at an isolated society.
Rated 23 Jul 2008
An underrated horror classic.
A freaking awesome Horror/Musical (the music is actually good) and tons of nudity (albeit in a decidedly creepy way). Don't miss The Wicker Man. You'll love it too. If you're cool.
Rated 19 Jan 2019
You can't do much better in the horror department for originality. Its odd and unsettling and campy and insightful all at the same time.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Fantastic.
Rated 30 Jun 2020
Describing this would make it sound cheesy as all hell, but everything works so well here. I didn't love some of the very 70s camerawork, but it's honestly close to perfect in every other way.
Rated 12 Nov 2014
Very crude, very flawed yet somehow very very startlingly creepy because of it. It has a genuine air of paganism and otherness (from the perspective of puritan christianity). Edward Woodward completely sells the bizarre situation.
Rated 26 Aug 2020
I wouldn't say it's ever a true horror, but it leaves you with an overwhelming sense of dread the entire film. Definitely better than the remake, but it also doesn't have Nic Cage in a bear suit punching a woman... I wasn't sure what to make of some scenes that felt a bit goofy, but the music was pretty funny and the ending is great.
Rated 06 Apr 2020
As a young teen, the guy who ran the local movie rental store recommended this film to my dad with the idea that we could watch this as a family. I am happy to report that didn't happen.
Rated 05 Oct 2021
This pretty much feels like the original version of Midsommar. It is weird and disturbing, and for me Christopher Lee and Diane Cilento really stole the show. Some strong visuals with the masks and the rituals, moments of uneasy comedy and a feeling of slowly building dread.
Rated 07 Mar 2014
OH GOD.... OH JESUS CHRIST!!
Rated 26 Feb 2018
This genre-bending "horror" film is many things, but, chief among them, it is disturbingly weird. The sense of dread that begins from its opening scenes is pocked with absurd musical numbers and humorous visuals that give The Wicker Man an atmosphere like no other. Underneath all of that, the film still manages to announce that nothing we are seeing is quite as odd as religion. Something so sacred and faith-based is laughably constructed, just as Hardy's brilliant film is.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
One of the strangest movies I've ever encountered. The weirdness builds and builds and culminates in a spectacular ending. I did not see that coming.
Rated 13 Oct 2011
One of my favourites. I love how strange it is,the locals are all bat shit crazy and wouldn't look out of place in Royston Vasey. The music adds to the strangeness in a wonderful way,making it quite unique. It's hard to believe that once apon a time,before Christianity,Paganism was the norm in the UK. So this kinda shit happened for real. With that in mind,it makes it all the more terrifying and creepy. Avoid at all cost the awful awful remake.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
The greatest pagan horror movie. Shows the lengths people will go to for their faith. Some people will look at this and condemn the pagan followers, but if you go into it with an open mind it shows a general cynicism for all religion. It all culminates in a chilling, unforgettable ending.
Rated 07 Oct 2011
I did not find this movie all that weird or strange or alternative or horrific or atmospheric or exciting. All I got out of this movie was "Pious people believe in dumb shit that makes them do dumb shit" which is cool and stuff but, yeah, this is not brilliant filmmaking. In fact, it's quite dull, and even the payoff at the end comes at the cost of a lot of boring pagan exposition bullshit. "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies"? Is this a joke?
Rated 14 Jun 2009
The music is pretty much what creates the weird atmosphere in this movie, which is full of sexual over- and undertones. A unique film.
Rated 18 Jul 2011
Not to be confused with Asylum's "Rattan Man".
It is so uniquely developed and presented, it is well worth the time and effort for film-lovers that enjoy macabre tales of mystery and suspense, and should be especially pleasing to those that like the sound of neofolk.
Rated 22 Feb 2009
This is my kind of flick - Woodward serves it out in his usual excellent manner.
Rated 20 Feb 2009
Wow. So atmospheric, bleak, and downright creepy. Actually, in hindsight, it's positively brutal.
Rated 02 Aug 2017
I kind of thought that I overrated this the first time. Boy, was I wrong. 90->100
Rated 20 Oct 2011
A most intriguing thriller, which throws a policeman (a devout Protestant) into the midst of a Scottish pagan community. If the film feels at times like little more than a good thriller with strange trimmings, those moments when it comes into its own--Willow's serenade, the maypole song, the final act--secure its place in film history. It also boasts strong performances from Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee, Anthony Shaffer's intelligent script, and Paul Giovanni's haunting music.
Rated 31 Oct 2009
It is a totally disturbing film. Paganistic point of view and unexpected ending are impressive. The musics are also quite good.
Rated 08 May 2020
A 70's classic that has become legend in horror circles & film circles in general, it boasts strong performances from Lee, Woodward & Ekland, a cleverly told narrative, & an infamous finale that's still pretty effective even if it's not as shocking as it might've once been. It also features a beautiful score & great visuals. Though occasionally a bit arthousey for my tastes, it's still a really enjoyable watch that has withstood the test of time. If you haven't seen it, do.
Rated 15 Dec 2007
aptly called the Citizen Kane of horror films, this visually and musically beautiful film cannot be ignored.
Rated 17 Mar 2016
Wonderful in conveying mysticism and feelings of disbelief. Also works as a study into existential questioning of one's surroundings both culturally and spiritually. Very engaging filmmaking, as well.
Rated 27 Nov 2021
"Corn rigs and barley rigs and corn rigs are bonnie..." Too much air time for the Christian viewpoint. Was he supposed to be a hero? It was unclear. Was left with a feeling of ambivalence over what the writer/director wanted us to take away. Christopher Lee was EXQUISITE, however. Visuals were amusing/satisfying. 500% more nudity than the new version; quite a sassy little flick. Stellar job creating the pagan ambiance.
Rated 23 Sep 2019
At first, it infuriated me how spectacularly our protagonist failed at self-preservation... but he was a wee prick anyway. My man was pretty much asking for it.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
A brilliantly disturbing recommendation!
Rated 23 Feb 2009
A great British thriller.
Rated 08 Jun 2022
Stewards atmosphere and tension well. There are aspects that are dated, but I think it holds up overall, and it's still effective as a horror film. If I'm to complain then: A. there are a couple of moments that are a little too expository, and B. the twist at the end, while impactful on the surface, really makes the narrative seem a bit convoluted. As for the remake, I’m struggling to imagine why they brought bees into it. As a matter of fact, I’m not sure why they brought Nicholas Cage into it.
Rated 12 Apr 2016
That's how you make movies with spirit, it's not technically masterful or vivid, bur rather rudimentary so to say, but precisely because of that it creates an illusion which hinders you from deciphering the real issue, it hypnotizes like the dream structure of a tragedy and sergeant walks to his death confidently like a tragic hero. An encouraging example of bright ideas in cinema.
Rated 21 Apr 2018
Not much of a horror film but rather good on the mystery front, "The Wicker Man" is a bit of an oddity. There's an unexpected amount of musical numbers and casual nudity and Hardy's approach can get pretty ethnographic at times, which, seeing as it's in tune with the script's themes of folklore, superstition and religion, is particularly interesting. I can't say I was taken aback by the resolution but the finale is surely iconic in its design and execution, thanks also to Woodward's great turn.
Rated 15 Jun 2008
Powerful. A GREAT horror movie.
Rated 21 Mar 2010
It strings you along with just a strange feeling of uneasiness, but then delivers with a horrifying, fantastic payoff.
Rated 21 Nov 2012
Don't get me wrong, it's a strong movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Deliriously eerie, with perhaps the greatest ending in history.
Rated 13 May 2012
Fuck the Bible, this is greatest story ever told. Watch the director's cut, it's better.
Rated 02 Nov 2020
This is a strange and weird film. There is far to much singing in this movie. The cast does a good job with the weird and some what dated script. Overall I would recommend this movie.
Rated 10 May 2008
I'm surprised by the high scores for this. Other than the ending I'd say this was a pretty average movie if pretty quirky. Bonus marks for the great music though.
Rated 21 Mar 2007
The bizarre nature of the pagans sometimes cross the line into goofiness a lot of the time, making the first half of the film hard to take seriously. It eventually transforms into a truly scary and disturbing experience. Great ending. A film definitely worth seeing.
Rated 10 Aug 2017
A friendly little macabre musical mystery. Macabre Month of Horror 2017 video review: https://youtu.be/nAKQWbziDuA
Rated 28 Feb 2010
Piece of crap, overall. Some of it is interesting, and I liked the idea of trying to combine genres, and the music was sometimes interesting... But the ridiculousness of the actions of the main character cannot be ignored, nor can the random unaccountable stuff that happens that just isn't fun.
Rated 16 May 2012
And on that bed there was a girl And on that girl there was a man And from that man there was a seed And from that seed there was a boy And from that boy there was a man And for that man there was a grave From that grave there grewwww A treeeeeeeee!
Rated 27 Apr 2008
in the end the joke is on reason. pagan poetry, poetic justice. we have cider, women and song. your morals, logic and progress are wrong.
Remarkable. The characters are all very true to their beliefs, even when those beliefs are hidden at first. I am not religious, but I can really feel the struggle of the spirit that Howie goes through. As far as I know, it's unique: a real believing Christian going through a true crisis of temptation and confrontation with paganism, and done both believably and well.
Rated 30 Mar 2007
One of the true originals of the '70s. Hard to classify this one, but let's just say you shouldn't show it to your mom. One for the time capsules
Rated 23 Jun 2009
This cult classic focuses on a righteous man's journey through a pagan cult that worships a giant wicker man. This film is extremely weird, but very entertaining.
Rated 06 Oct 2011
How this movie ever achieved such a reputation. I don't know. It's goofy and dull, with only its ending as a real strength.
Rated 30 Jun 2021
Some of the singing and ass slapping felt gimmicky, but otherwise the mystery of what is going on can be fun. I was spoiled about the ending but still wondered how it would go.
Rated 16 Aug 2011
Severely overrated 70s horror flick that is remembered more for its brutality and peculiarity than its substance or terror.
Rated 05 May 2012
Incredible songs, especially the one around the Maypole. Gets what's coming to him, this guy.
Rated 14 Mar 2024
Yooo this shi crazy as heel bruh
Rated 30 Dec 2010
Rated 25 Aug 2014
More of an exposition on Scotland's historic mistrust of its Gaelic peripheries than an exploration of faith in itself. The music in particular gives it an otherworldly atmosphere.
Rated 26 Mar 2009
Too obvious from the beginning where it's headed and it really didn't move me in any way. Wasn't expecting the stupid musical twist as I was expecting a legitimately scary film but hey whatever floats your boat. Just seemed like a waste of time
Rated 08 Mar 2009
"...passed through several distributors, several versions, and several bankruptcies, picking up a powerful reputation along the way."
Rated 05 Mar 2020
The lazy exploration of paganism barely edges out Suspiria's exploration of witchcraft. It's much more concerned with drawing parallels to religion than actually fleshing out its own lore. Fantastic ending though. If I was in Howie's position I'd have jumped off the cliff to spoil their ritual and have a less painful death. The musical numbers sucked save for the glorious last song
Rated 07 Dec 2017
Whole lot of strangeness, but the final scene is really strong. Very original movie.
Score based on distant memory.
Rated 16 Oct 2016
You won't find this movie in Pier1 Imports, but it doesn't make it a bad movie. I thought that this film compared to its remake are worlds apart. This has a more haunting experience compared to the campy version with Nicolas Cage. I thought Christopher Lee was awesome as Lord Summerisle. Britt Ekland was very strange but incredibly sexy (sorry it's true) and Edward Woodward was a protagonist that you cheered for and worried about...
Rated 23 May 2010
Weird and wonderful, The Wicker Man has a fascinating story that is brought to life through great acting and direction. Special mention must also go to the soundtrack which fits the film like a glove. Not a movie that relies on jump scares, but instead an unsettling atmosphere and sense of dread that grows as the films progresses.
Rated 10 Nov 2011
I watched the extended version.This was a extremely well crafted film.The creepy atmosphere and unusual rituals really set the tone for this film.The ending of the film was fantastic and really brought this film up quite a bit.
Rated 26 Nov 2020
Some cool scenes (esp. the landlord's daughter trying to seduce the cop) but didn't find it too interesting overall. Also that Corn Rigs song was so god damn terrible.
Rated 25 Dec 2014
The most chilling musical I've ever seen.
Rated 28 Jun 2023
The impact of this has been dulled over the years; born of a time where the implications of the story would have been generally regarded as more outrightly sinister (ala THE EXORCIST); if you don’t buy into the sin of worshipping false prophets, this may lack a visceral impact, however it’s still well-crafted and atmospheric, with Woodward bringing a fragility to his brittle character that helps compensate for a lack of character development, and Lee’s chilling cult leader stealing the show.
Rated 16 May 2008
slow moving and obvious from the start
Rated 24 Nov 2009
Only for a couple of parts do I it this rating - most of it isn't that great. Some parts are breathtaking - pure cinema.
Rated 01 Jan 2018
2023'de #IzlediğimFilmler ; 156. The Wicker Man (1973) Tüm 1973'ün filmleri listesinde her zaman yer alan bir klasik. Absürt ve garipliği ile her zaman cazibeli. 8/10 #BenimleYaşıtFilmler