The Wrestler
The-Wrestler

The Wrestler

2008
Drama, Sport
A drama centered on retired professional wrestler Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Rourke) as he makes his way through the independent circuit, trying to get back in the game for one final showdown with his former rival. (imdb)
Apple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreYouTubeAMC on Demand

Easily a contender for best picture of 2008. I don't like wrestling and I've never been impressed with Aronofsky's work until this film and it's honestly incredible. Rourke gives a performance of a lifetime and is, without a doubt, the only choice for Randy "The Ram" Robinson. Really it's like a Shakespearean tragedy; our hero has a tragic flaw that forces him towards his ultimate fate. In Randy's case he sacrifices everything for wrestling: his family, the people he loves and himself.
Stripped down. All the way down, down to the bone. One of those rare movies where everything just blends. The handheld camera following "The Ram" around, often opting for shots from behind instead of from the front, is at once noticable and seamlessly integrated, and all the actors are, of course, pitch perfect. Mickey Rourke is my actor of the year. No doubt. And yes. I almost stopped the movie 2-3 min. before the end. I just couldn't take it anymore.
The movie certainly does capture the viewer with beauty and good craftmanship, but this movie takes a serious toll on the viewer. Randy's sheer desperate helplessness is such a hard thing to watch, and it doesn't let up, right up until the last second your left feeling just as helpless and bleak as Randy himself. It's a difficult thing to watch, but extraordinarily powerful also.
(rewatch) Suffers from the "Aronofsky effect." In that, the first time you see it, it's amazing, the second time - not so much. I found it hard to sympathize with Rourke's character cause he is such a selfish jerk that really had all the crappy stuff coming to him. The ending is really well done though.
MICKEY ROURKE PERFORMANCE WAS REMARKABLE. DEPRESSING MOVIE BUT A GREAT STORY. I THOUGHT IT TO BE LIKE A DOCUMENTARY IN THE LIFE OF RANDY "THE RAM ROBINSON(ROURKE) A WRESTLER ONCE AT THE TOP BUT NOW IS TRYING TO GET BACK. ALSO MARISA TOMEI IS STILL HOT.

Submitted byjack_boomJack Boom on 18 Oct 2008