1994
Romance
Final entry in a trilogy of films dealing with contemporary French society concerns a model who discovers her neighbour is keen on invading people's privacy (imdb)

1994
Romance

Rated 14 Feb 2009
So beautiful that I didn't want this to end. Breathtaking visuals, a bewitching plot, and intriguing characters without a wasted line of dialogue. Parallels and intersecting destinies can frustrate me, but not here it is just too well realised. Foreshadowing throughout is nuanced and satisfying as it leads towards an exquisite final frame.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Storywise, it's definitely an improvement over Blue, I mean, few films are so masterfully constructed, lavishly executed and impeccably performed. It will reach the deepest and innermost chambers of your heart, long after it's finished. A perfect ending to a one of kind trilogy, not to be missed !!!
Rated 30 May 2011
A mysterious and affecting close to Kieslowski's monumental trilogy, Red traces the burgeoning friendship between a retired judge and a youthful model. Expertly paced, touchingly scored, and surprisingly written, the film manages to deliver a portrait of a friendship that has no business existing--and yet it does. There's an underlying joie de vivre that gives the film and the trilogy a hopeful tone. One might think of Red as something of a modern take on the old Beauty and the Beast fable.
Rated 24 Jul 2007
Seriously, what a way to end your career. Unbelievably good. It's the best of the trilogy, with Blue being a close second.
Rated 13 Jul 2011
Warmest and most accessible film in Kieslowski's colors trilogy. Red means fraternity (friendship), but on the deeper level this film is about often invisible connections between people, chance meetings and randomness of our very existence. To quote one of my favorite writers Milan Kundera - ignoring coincidences in daily life means depriving ones life of a dimension of beauty. Like an individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty, Kieslowski does the same with this film.
Rated 30 May 2008
An excellent ending to the trilogy. It's quite impressive how different all three of the films are in terms of tone. Blue is intensely sorrowful, White is light and comical, and Red is -- in a word -- mysterious. The most intriguing part of the film to me was the character of the judge, who acts as the driving force of the film, and indeed the whole world that the film takes place in.
Rated 07 Dec 2020
Echoic and cerebral, almost overstuffed with transference and connections. The theme of electronic surveillance is more alarming nowadays. Not to be overlooked is the simple catharsis of someone finally helping the elderly person recycle their bottle after three movies - in the spirit of fraternity. A stylish and rewarding finale, the warmth of good folks and good dogs under a storm.
Rated 12 Apr 2020
Right now my least favourite of the trilogy, which still makes it a damn fine film, just one that works better on a symbolic level than as an actual story on its own. Great thematic wrapup; from solipsistic Freedom to conflicting Equality to graceful Brotherhood.
Rated 24 Jan 2007
A close second to Blue. In a way, it's the perfect summation of Kieslowski, with all the doubling, connectedness, coincidence, exploration of humanity, and cinematic expertise. I still think Irene Jacob is a little bland, but she's growing on me.
Rated 26 Dec 2007
Cold, calculated, overly serious, self-important and yet simple-minded. Even at times when it achieves drama, Red hasn't a semblance of humor, warmth or the intricacy of actual life. Never mind the clumsy narrative structure.
Rated 30 Apr 2009
My favorite of the trilogy. It is just as technically impressive as Blue (wonderful music, great acting, beautiful cinematography), and the storytelling is superb, filled with nuance, great characterization, and intriguing conversations.
Rated 01 May 2009
The best of the trilogy. The use of colors isn't as striking as in Blue, but still great. The story is way better and engaging. The camera work in this is incredible.
Rated 25 Jun 2009
Three Colors: Red is very different from the other two films of the trilogy, yet clearly belongs to it. Red is all about mystery and finding one's soulmate with the mysterious judge and the searching Valentine being the main characters. The cinematography filled with red elements and the acting of Irène Jacob and Jean-Louis Trintignant are both excellent and the accompanying soundtrack sets the mysterious mood well. Red definitely has replayability, as nothing in this film is filler.
Rated 02 Feb 2011
I. am. BLOWN. away. I don't know if I can explain it. Beauty in color, in camera movement, framing. Bodily beauty. Such a SUPREME dialogue and such perfectionist acting. Comprehension of how people can never fully judge each other spiced with a recipe of how to sometimes just open one's mind to profound beauty, can be found in this here film. Kieslowski's trilogy offers some nice takes on the tricky nature of coincidence and chance, but it is only in 'Red' that the potential reaches its maximum.
Rated 14 Mar 2011
Dificult film to rate. While the end scene is pure art, the different storylines are perfectly dovetailed to the point of feeling claustrophobic and contrived. The use of red in every scene (almost every shot) proves distracting and borderline pretentious, but somehow, with all these shortcomings, the mastery of images and syuzhet keeps this puppy in the good books. Speaking of: Does Kieslowski hate dogs or what?
Rated 30 Aug 2012
Stylish, intelligent and involving film-making, providing an effective ending to a very watchable trilogy. I don't think I'm quite smart enough to understand all of the themes and meanings permeating this and the other two films, but such is their quality that I'm willing to give them all a rewatch and have a try (I have also got my hands on The Double Life of Veronique to watch next). This, and the other Three Colours films, are excellent, and highly recommended.
Rated 01 Sep 2012
Beautiful editing. Perhaps Bleu has the stills, but Red is a visual masterpiece of rhythmic imagery. Stimulating dialogue is a bonus.
Rated 16 Sep 2022
Fraternité is here meant to subvert what the very concept evokes: frater - brother - as one of our mains is a Big Brother, a judge, judging from his surveillance state, and finding an unlikely kinship with a model graced with one of our most famous movie bubblegum images. It has all the hallmarks of a ghost story without the supernatural; that alone hints that our common spectral trajectory of disconnection can be averted somehow, perhaps like three disjointed films united through comic tragedy.
Sublime conclusion to a rich, emotive trilogy and indeed a masterful career. The sort of film that you want to talk about with everyone but would rather say nothing for fear of spoiling a second of it. Moving and triumphant cinema.
Rated 05 Feb 2019
It's a little known fact that the red from title is a reference to the crazy amounts of Coca-Cola cinematographer Piotr Sobocinski drank during the shoot, causing him not to be able to sit still during a single scene. The camera movements work really well with the subject matter though, and while the insistence on red objects seems almost gimicky in this one, pictures are sublime again. Also like the story which meanders along like a Kundera novel.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
A beautiful film with an excellent performance by Irene Jacob. My favorite of the trilogy because it strikes a more balanced tone than the other two, combining their strengths to make a deeply moving and enjoyable character study. The ending is the only thing keeping me from giving it a better score, it wasn't bad but didn't feel right.
Rated 11 Jul 2008
I kind of feel like it deserves a higher score, but I'd have to watch it again. Fascinating but confusing.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
The best of the trilogy. The story is well-told and the characters live on in the memory. The ending doesn't really work, but there's enough in here to keep you interested.
Rated 06 Jan 2010
Wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but I wonder what's to it other than good photography. Not like the story's exceptional, and the dialogues are as simple as dialogues get. See, what I think everyone can learn from this is that keeping a movie too visual can be a hard task.
Rated 07 Sep 2010
Ends one of the best movie trilogies I have seen. All made within two years as well. Colours/music while not as powerful here are overshadowed by the much better story. Blue is still my favorite but this is a close second.
Rated 01 Nov 2010
Of the trilogy, this is perhaps the most difficult to understand. All three movies demand multiple viewings, but especially this one. The line between plain ol' foreshadowing and some kind of otherworldly mysticism becomes blurred, and it's not clear what the final 5 minutes of the film is trying to tell me. The final shot is mysterious, but so powerful that it literally had me slack jawed. This entire trilogy boarders on perfection. I'm so glad that I finally got around to seeing it.
Rated 03 Jan 2011
The term "beautiful" doesn't even begin to describe how good "Rouge" looks. As in the previous chapters of the trilogy, the story taking place could be painfully dull in a another film but a talented cast and a director of immense capacities transform it into a pensive, moving and breath-taking tale about parallel lives, destiny and platonic relationships. The film's appeal derives from its mood and atmosphere -it has to be seen to be believed. Without question, it's the best of the three.
Rated 28 Jul 2011
There's a certain soft quality to it which I enjoyed, and I loved the cinematography and art direction, but even though it tries, "Red" goes nowhere. I do like it, but I still feel a bit disappointed. I felt like there are tons of wasted potential here.
Rated 29 Aug 2012
A finale that doesn't disappoint. 'Red' just about edges 'Blue' and 'White' because of the mysterious nature of the narrative, but in reality the quality of writing is simply amazing in all three films. Once again, Kieslowski's technical wizardry produces a gorgeous feast for the eyes and the score compliments beautifully. The acting is faultless and the dialogue is so natural it's eerie.
Rated 03 Sep 2012
Simultaneously the most accessible and the most mysterious of the three films. The scenes between Jacob and Trintignant are sublime, and the stuff about fate, coincidence and inter-connectedness is well realised, but the film is so rich in detail and nuance that I feel I need to see it about five more times before it all starts to sink in. Considering how beautiful the cinematography is, that's not such a chore.
Rated 02 Mar 2013
I loved Blue almost immediately upon first viewing some few years ago, but Red grew on me. This was the one that's the grower.
Rated 04 Nov 2015
Not ill-conceived, but disappointing. The grand scheme of circumstance and coincidence all seems less profound when it's so verbose and on-the-nose. A little heavy on platitudes and truisms.
Rated 10 Dec 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed all three films, although blue was my favourite. A great ending to the trilogy.
Rated 10 Dec 2015
For me, "Red" was the grandest and most mystifying of the triptych. Beneath its effectiveness as a human drama, it is a film predicated on exploring the force behind our invisible interconnectedness with one another. It is beautiful that Kieslowski's last film was his most deliberate attempt to provide meaning to all that happens in life.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Mindblowingly good.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Easily the best of the Three Colors trilogy
Rated 03 Aug 2007
Smart, stimulating, and gorgeous, and that's just the actress. Definitely the pinnacle of the Colors movies.
I consider this to be 1/3 of the greatest film of the last part of the century. The way it was all tied up at the end made me gasp for breath. We miss you Krystof !
Great movie making. Deals beautifully with subtle human emotions.
Rated 05 Nov 2007
ok
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 418
Rated 26 Apr 2008
Too fucking good to be true!
Rated 05 Jan 2021
Intriguing and compelling - beautifully put together.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 10 Jan 2009
A great ending to a great trilogy. Visually not as beautiful as Blue but just as well acted and with the best story of the three.
Rated 27 Feb 2009
Rated 19 May 2009
There is a close competition between Blue & Red as which would be the best of the trilogy. Its hard choice to make, and I feel both are good in their own way. The ending to the trilogy is just excellent. Really impressive movie. Shows the ability of how Kieslowski is able to blend different genre of movies in a trilogy. Starting with a sorrowful Blur, light hearted White to a mysterious Red. Another must see, not just this the Trilogy in itself.
Rated 05 Jun 2009
Very Nice Movie
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Both beautiful and intellectually nourishing. My favorite of Kieslowski's films.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Brilliant.
Rated 16 Nov 2020
Utterly phenomenal. Was neck and neck with Blue until the closing minutes where this pulled ahead. The ending is absolute perfection. Pure cinema.
Rated 18 May 2022
My favorite of the trilogy
Rated 31 Oct 2009
My favourite of the Trilogy. What a fantastic movie! Bravo!
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Rated 09 Jan 2010
Gorgeous and undeniably moving, if admittedly a bit facile - like an arthouse Disney movie. Regardless, it's the perfect "comfort" film to warm the heart.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
Rated 21 Oct 2020
I don't really know anything about Kieslowski, but this felt like the work of a filmmaker reflecting on his own life and profession. Among other things, the film questions the morality of observing and judging other people. A strong finish to a very good trilogy.
Rated 09 Mar 2018
Sometimes quite boring and banal but at the same time can be quite intriguing. Kieslowski has a great handle on tone through his pacing and visual but is mixed in with vapid and pompous themes.
Rated 16 May 2010
Storywise, this one may be the most approachable for the audience, it is not as cold as Blue and not as confusing as White. The actors are good, nearly everything is excellent. However, I think that this movie lacks dynamics, it has its lengths. But the film is a good and uplifting ending for the trilogy.
Rated 13 Jul 2010
The best of the trilogy.
Rated 28 Jul 2010
This is a film that's really executed to perfection. I think the story is the best of the trilogy, and the use of color is as good as in Blue. The judge is such a damn interesting character.
Rated 18 Sep 2010
Lovingly constructed film whose richness you appreciate more on repeated viewing. Jacob's innocent meets Trintignant's cynical judge in one of the most wonderful on-screen relationships. A perfect film?
Rated 05 Sep 2020
06.09.2020 İstanbul Kartal
Rated 16 Feb 2018
A remarkable ending to the trilogy. Like the color itself, Kieslowski boldly gives insight on communication and how exposed humanity is to chance. This unlikely friendship between Valentine and the judge is so intimate, it finds meaning to true, human interconnection. Saturated with symbols, the film explores an array of emotions that also defines the intimacy of humans and how unknowingly close we actually are. It's a beautiful gesture to fate and hope Kieslowski saw in life.
Rated 11 Feb 2011
Too slow for me, nothing to keep me interested.
Rated 12 Feb 2011
12 subat 11 & diger iki filmden daha cok begendim, ucleme icersinde favori filmim. ayrintilarin bas dondurdugu, buna ragmen yalinligini koruyabilen bas dondurucu guzellikte bir film. uclemenin mukemmel sonlanisi.. donguden ibaret su hayatta askin da en guzel anlatimi bu olmali. bir yerde aklima aylak adam kitabi geldi.. bu film, bir yonetmenin kariyerini sonlandirmasi icin mukemmel bir yol.- sanat eseri. aski anlatan ama icinde ask olmayan bir film.
Rated 06 Mar 2011
Wow. I don't know what exactly this movie did for me, but it sure did it well. I definitely want to rewatch the trilogy now. My favorite of the three. (Blue: 8, White: 7). It really makes me want to explore more foreign film making too.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
Perfect ending to a perfect trilogy.
Rated 19 Jun 2011
The weakest of the Three Colours Trilogy. It has scenes within it that are wonderful, and Jean-Louis Trintignant steals the film, but it feels exceptionally muddled in what it is trying to say rather than tackling a very complex concept. The ending which ties the three films together doesn't work either, feeling like an abrupt addition to connect them.
Rated 16 Jul 2011
Great trilogy,
Rated 24 Jul 2011
Some pretty pictures and bullshit metaphysical ideas, crammed with "symbols".
Rated 25 Mar 2022
Ah, and the Red! The flag is concluded. I don't have to decide which is my favorite, all are unique, beautiful and thought-provoking. What an end to this Polish/French trilogy. I loved the questions of morality, about our convictions that we deem as the ultimate truth, very profound and probably worth a rewatch just for thematic reasons. A masterclass of cinematography and camera work, but by now I already expect this from Kieslowski. I love random encounters from this film in real life, genuine
Rated 01 Aug 2017
The best of the trilogy.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#451
Rated 02 Dec 2011
While not quite as mesmerizing as Blue, Red is still a great movie. The dialogue is always interesting as is the visual style. The ending wasn't good as I'd hoped, though.
Rated 17 Dec 2011
Red has a soft quality, that makes me feel like rating it really higher.
Rated 20 Jan 2012
Wonderfully touching drama of loneliness and isolation (especially in the 'modern' world of 1994); low-key and 'quiet' to be sure but Jacob and especially Trintignant's beautifully observed characters, and cleverly interlocked story threads in the screenplay, definitely make it something special. Certainly features the liveliest camera work of the trilogy (love that opening shot tracing an international phone call!)
Rated 01 Feb 2012
Coincidences coincidences
Rated 16 May 2024
The performances in this one really stood out to me, and like the other THREE COLOURS movies, it's incredibly well made and visually stunning. It didn't make me feel much but I found it engaging enough. Not a big fan of this trilogy overall but I did enjoy WHITE and RED a lot more than BLUE. I'd be lying if I said I totally understood why they're hailed as some of the greatest films of all time but clearly they connect with people in a way that they just didn't with me and I appreciate that.
Rated 13 Dec 2019
Chiant
Rated 23 Mar 2017
Certainly the equal of Blue, and as fitting a summation of the themes and obsessions that defined Kieslowski's career as any other. The ending, albeit a bit too heavy-handed, is certainly unique.
Rated 11 Jun 2012
Uses red even more than Bergman in Cries & Whispers, didn't think that was humanly possible. As for the movie itself, it indulges the viewer all the way through, and the soundtrack, editing and cinematography is top notch.
Rated 15 Jun 2012
The final film in the Three Colors trilogy and easily my favorite of the bunch. Moving away from the black comedy of White, Red is much more inline with the first film, Blue, for its introspective nature. To say this film is gorgeous. brilliantly acted, and thought-provoking is an understatement. But for all of that, the film can be easily described in one word: flawless. The best in a trilogy of masterpieces.
Rated 15 Aug 2012
Nah. It will forever entertain me how overhyped this trilogy is. While the red movie might just be a bit more beautiful than the white movie, its still completely uninteresting and shallow not to mention I keep getting annoyed by the weak dialogues. Irène Jacob is unfortunately not much more than a pretty face.
Rated 18 Jan 2017
For me, it's the least powerful of the triology. However, I will rewatch to evaluate again.
Rated 10 Dec 2012
watched: 2012, 2024
Rated 31 Dec 2012
French people! Am I right?
Rated 04 Mar 2013
Directed very well and visually great. The story on the other hand spends a lot of time idling, and when the stuff about coinciding destinies and solidarity finally started it was awkward and out of place. Might have something to do with the main character feeling soulless, like some kind of a placeholder. The ending was really corny and I'd have much rather had the movie end with the ferry leaving.
Rated 24 Mar 2013
Perfect sum up of three movies; nice direction and story line
Rated 22 Feb 2023
Romance is one of the most intimate forms of fraternity, but paranoia can lead to it cracking, and the loss of it can cause one to want to shatter the concept entirely. However, our connections go far deeper than just a feeling of kinship - we are all made of star stuff - and if we’re lucky, fate will push the right people together somehow anyway. (Fourth time watching, and in my fourth format - DVD, Blu-Ray, 35mm, and 4K UHD)
Rated 21 Sep 2019
I loved the setup of this movie, which seemed to follow a few characters as they paraded throughout their "small" town without truly running into each other. Even with slightly more characters, this seemed a bit more "lonely" than the prior two films (Blue and White). Of course, the colors and the visual shots continued to be impressive. I wasn't captivated by the ending, which tried to tie up a lot of metaphorical ends from all three movies.
Rated 22 Apr 2019
Sagitário
Rated 22 Jan 2014
The perfect final knockout punch to Kieslowski's stunningly perfect Three Colors trilogy. The last five minutes left me in a state of disbelief. Every minute of this is just indescribably beautiful.
Rated 27 Jan 2014
Too bad Irène Jacob decided to have a meaningless acting career (in film) after this one... she really made my day. About the movie: while watching I didn't really get what was going on with the interconnected stories and most of the symbolism disappeared under the radar...A shame, because after reading about it, it seems pretty good.
Rated 12 Sep 2014
3x
Rated 02 Nov 2014
beautiful and intriguing
Rated 29 Dec 2014
I try to share my thoughts on every movie I watch, but Three Colors: Red has me tongue-tied trying to express how I feel. As I watched what first seems to be another lovely human drama in this great trilogy, my mind eventually began to unravel when I realized the meta-narrative Kieslowski was going for about fate, fortune, and the mysteries they create in life. I was left with a parable so beautiful I don't I could ever forget it. Both a stunning conclusion and stunning film in its own right.
Rated 26 Dec 2022
I'd say it's the same quality as Blue except for that silly tie-up-the-bow ending.
Rated 14 May 2019
Could be better if the ending clearly suggests that the female protagonist married the younger alter ego of the male protagonist. SCORING: 99-96=Great; 95-90=Very good; 89-85=Good; 84-80=So-so; 79-70=Boring; Below 70=Forget it.
Rated 31 Aug 2015
Clearly the same sources of inspiration that lead to The Double Life of Veronique and A Short Life About Love went into creating Red and Blue.