1999
A small group of adventurous American soldiers (Clooney, Whalberg, Ice Cube, Jonze) in Iraq at the end of the Gulf War is determined to steal a huge cache of gold reputed to be hidden somewhere near their desert base. Finding a map they believe will take them to the gold, the soldiers embark on a journey that leads to unexpected discoveries, enabling them to rise to a heroic challenge that drastically changes their lives. (Warner Brothers)

1999

I avoided it for the longest time, expecting it to be a dumb big-budget summer action flick. And in some ways, that's exactly what it is. But it's also a biting satire, a suspenseful heist film, a wacky comedy, a political drama, a human drama, and a strong anti-war statement. And it manages to be all these things with finesse and a great deal of style. My only big gripe with this movie is the acting, where only George Clooney seems to rise above adequate.
Crazy asshole or not, David O. Russell made one of the best war movies of all time, a riveting work that starts out as a darkly hilarious comic adventure and spirals into more somber and fascinating territory by the minute. The cinematography and performances are perfect, and you come out the other end shaken and wondering what the fuck you just watched in a great way.
Rated 04 Jan 2021
This is one of my Top 3 movies of all time and a paragon of what filmmaking can be. It turns a film projector or media player into a machine for empathy by allowing you to witness the struggles of truly defined characters--especially via the obstacles they face because of race, religion, gender or politics. But it is also exceptionally well made, as Russell's script brims with hilarious jokes, great suspense, and some of the best action set pieces I've ever seen. An overlooked & underrated gem.
If you give in to Russell's complete abandonment of any kind of pacing structure the end result is fantastic. Had this been released one administration later, it would have cemented "classic" status.
What begins as a KELLY'S HEROES-type cynical adventure becomes a very laboured and obvious attempt to teach the viewer a lesson about the nastiness of war and the fact that all men are brothers.
Rated 06 Jun 2008
I wasn't expecting too much but man this is one amazing movie. It blends comedy action and drama almost perfectly and the performances (minus Ice Cube) are really good, especially Wahlberg and Jonze. This is a pretty rare action movie - it has all the explosions and what not but it's also packed full of witty dialog and heart. Worth seeing.
Rated 02 Apr 2015
David O. Russell is one of the few bad filmmakers to convince audiences that he isn't terrible
Rated 21 Nov 2009
(2nd viewing) Socially conscious (though a bit in-your-face), idiosyncratic and ridiculously entertaining. Plus 1 for FarCryss: watching this today adds to the experience indeed. Nice, very nice...
A veteran actor leads two formers rappers, and a music video/movie director through a great (and hilarious) war movie that's a breath of fresh air into the bland war genre, and better than it has any right being.
Best anti-war movie ever.
While David O. Russell is an asshole he can make a really good movie. Some fantastic shots and excellent acting from everyone, honestly this is the first time I considered Wahlberg a good dramatic actor.
Rated 18 Apr 2012
Somewhere between 'Full Metal Jacket' and 'The Hurt Locker' on the spectrum of U.S. political war films lies this bizarre jewel. It's a darkly comic treasure-hunting adventure injected with a sobering dose of war-time realism. It's an allegory for the past 30 years of American involvement in the Middle East, but also a study of moral judgment and global camaraderie. Unique visual effects and a war-reporter filming style have proved influential and, amazingly, the story is just as relevant today.
Rated 07 Apr 2012
Mark Wahlberg walks the absolute thinnest line between decent actor and terrible terrible actor.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
This is strange. This film is cleverder than it seems. It looks like blockbuster and it almost sells himself like one, but surprisingly enough it's a satire on the hypocrisy of war. And on top of that, it blends genres as drama, action and comedy without turning into one big chaos. Only the ending is inline with the blockbuster-mentality. (By the by, watch it again with the war in iraq in mind. Makes it even more fun)
Rated 01 Sep 2015
Determined to take home more than sand fleas in the aftermath of the first Gulf War, four American soldiers go off into the Iraqi desert to find millions in stolen Kuwaiti bullion.
Rated 03 Feb 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by this atypical war/action/comedy. Instead of coasting over the messy bits, it embraces the political and social implications of foreign policy. And despite how dark it gets, there's still that glimmer of hope, that good people are still out there.
Rated 25 Oct 2010
One of those weird movies where I go in not expecting much and am pleasantly surprised. Does a good job combining humor and action to create a decent satire on military/war. Jonze, Clooney, Wahlberg and Cube all do a great job. In fact, I think most of the cast did a great except I didn't really like Jamie Kennedy's character. It does go Hollywood with the ending, but I didn't mind it too much. Definitely a war movie worth seeing.
Rated 08 Oct 2010
I think this flick is pretty underrated for how stylized it's look is. A lot of work was put into the production of this movie even if Ice Cube is on screen a lot.
Rated 07 Sep 2021
This was my first theatrical rated R movie, my youth pastor snuck me into this one, for some goddamn reason. I doubt I’d be the same person or moviegoer without it. My preoccupation with oblique religious references and zeitgeist soul crushing in movies probably begins and ends with these Three Kings from the global non-flat-Earth East. 20-some years later a family member who did a tour in Afghanistan, mentioned this movie, and its layers hit even harder than I’d remembered.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Likeable characters save the sometimes sloppy and heavy handed script.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
A truly original war drama with plenty of emotional value and humor.
Rated 13 Jul 2012
A darkly satirical film about war with one of the meanest and funniest senses of humor I've seen in a film. Biting, angry and also farcical. The editing and cinematography give the film a twisted, unique edge on an over saturated genre of film. The film's tone stays consistent and dips into darker territory in a sensible, natural way over the course of the film. It's arguably too preachy but I feel the film is lacking in subtlety from the start - either it'll gels with the viewer or it won't.
Rated 23 Mar 2007
This film is surprisingly intelligent. It manages to get across all the bullshit of war without being condescending to anyone -- neither the Americans, the Iraqis, nor the audience. That the film is also very stylish, entertaining and funny is a great bonus. On the downside, there's some sub-par acting, and the climactic sequence has a slightly contrived feel to it.
Rated 08 Jun 2007
I appreciated all the action and social commentary bits, plus I just love heist movies. Shot very well, too.
Rated 27 Apr 2014
This movie has some very funny moments and also some really serious scenes. The cast has good chemistry together. The script has plenty of good moments and a few typical ones. Overall I would recommend this film.
Rated 07 Jun 2012
This is one very 90's movie, but also one that would prove to be pretty influential in the coming years.
Rated 05 Sep 2016
opening with the line "are we shooting?", a film that may best be defended as a sly argument for cinema as a weapon against chaos and amorality, with a camera proving crucial to the protagonists' ultimate redemptive act. in other words, russell's a tidy crowdpleaser, but at least he's a self-aware and authentically idealistic one, i guess? i can't say i buy into his fantasies though, and i'd much rather he committed to the anarchy as that's ironically where he maintains the most control.
Perhaps I am the only man in the world to think this, but I consider Three Kings to be disappointingly boring. There is action and fast talking, but there is also a lot of nothing happening, and the plot seems to move surprisingly slow for a film that's billed as an action/war title, and because it's not a dramatic film by most means, the bad pace really hurts it, because nothing important is happening in the down time. Meh!
Rated 28 Aug 2016
This is fun movie with a different interesting approach to war, is well balanced. With this movie you can have fun and learn at the same time! The acting is uneven but that is forgivable.
Rated 18 Feb 2014
Back when Russell wasn't mailing in his movies, Three Kings showed the director's definitive style and brashness. The cast is great, the material is both poignant and funny, and walks genre lines flawlessly.
Excellent in almost every way.
Good performances by the leads, unique filmmaking from Russell, and lots of boldness hold all this chaos together for a satisfying action flick. Audacious, over the top, and an odyssey worth taking.
Rated 11 Jun 2012
Though there are a few moments that feel a tad too agenda-driven, it redeems itself with witty dialogue and solid performances. The ending seems somewhat Hollywood, but not in a bad way, mind you.
Rated 29 Mar 2012
It blends genres and tones really well, something that would prove to be Russell's biggest strength as a director. The underlying politics of it have gotten much more complicated in the years since it was released, but it is still interesting to see from the perspective of its time.
Rated 24 Dec 2010
My favorite middle east/Iraq war film yet!
Rated 18 May 2008
A phenomenal sucess in every aspect, I even dug Ice Cube. The major thing here is the awesome script it's just a damned well written movie.
Rated 20 Aug 2015
Seen: 3x
Rated 26 Oct 2013
One of those movies where Clooney has THE plan.
Rated 19 Sep 2008
Clooney is excellent, as is Russell's directorial style, which manages to capture the harsh intensity of war while balancing a light and comedic atmosphere. The cinematography is quite nice, and Wahlberg is very good too -- the scenes of his torture are the movie's most captivating, and hold its most explosive dialogs. Ice Cube drags things down a bit, and the ending feels a bit pedestrian, but all in all this is an original take on the war genre. A fun movie with a good heart.
Rated 02 Dec 2008
Nice
Rated 12 May 2015
Although its own title is a spoiler, this a very well written, directed, acted, and edited war film, a nicely sardonic take on the Gulf War, but feels more like a Western morality tale than anything else. O. Russell seems to be rather good at letting scenes feel improvisational, loose, and lively, which helps infuse a tad amount of oddity in this sorta mind-fuck of a film (and the mind-fuck the soldiers are in).
Rated 21 Aug 2009
Three Kings is a great film which seamlessly blends dry, witty humor with a hard hitting political message. Clooney is great, the characters are well written and even better performed, the plot is funny, but most importantly the whole thing comes together well, and this film is entertaining all the way through. See it.
Rated 10 Oct 2012
THREE KINGS begins as satire, has touches of farce, then becomes a heist film briefly before turning into an emotionally charged rescue-mission piece. With all those tonal shifts, that it isn't a mess is a bit of a miracle; that it is, in fact, quite good is all of one. David O. Russell's script and direction are alike sharp; Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube are both good, although Clooney seems a bit flat (perhaps owing to his stormy relationship with Russell). A complex film I'll want to return to.
Rated 24 Jan 2010
Good action film with some decent acting but this really hasn't aged well when you take into consideration world events of the past 10 years. In fact the message of the film can be interpreted as being outright patronizing and a superficial portrayal of a lot of issues.
Rated 02 Feb 2010
A rare war comedy, and a pretty great one at that. A good combination of style and substance. Spike Jonze!
Rated 17 Apr 2010
Cool, topical and funny. watch this movie................ WATCH IT!
Rated 05 Aug 2010
a great war movie before war movies were completely wide spread
Rated 26 Aug 2010
Great charismatic acting, especially Jonze/Wahlberg, and excepting Clooney who offers up his usual head waggling psuedo snarky hound dog bit. (Nic Cage in Clooney's place could've potentially raised this score 20 pts.) Really cool photography with flashy yet appropriate editing. Worth the ride.
Rated 30 Aug 2010
"Here's your stability, buddy"
Rated 30 Dec 2006
would have been better without ice cube...
Rated 18 Jan 2007
u re bot savin anyone man just leave that people alone
Rated 29 Jan 2007
Les rois du desert
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Not bad.
Rated 06 Feb 2019
Intelligent and perceptive. An original war feature on U.S foreign policy.
Rated 26 May 2014
- 3/7/12
Rated 23 Jun 2007
Despite some tricky issues of hegemony, this is solid war film, made even more appealing with its three leads.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
this movie stinks.
Rated 19 Jan 2019
Áries
best movie on war in iraq
Rated 06 Feb 2015
Pretty cool
Fun and surprisingly powerful, smart movie. Can't help but love these characters.
I got the CD as a gift. I gave it away.
much better than I thought it would be
Rated 29 Aug 2021
Mar91warjustended+Slomoshootinglookedbadlol+thinktheymadesurearabssaved+truestoryithinklol
Rated 08 Jun 2016
Great as a comedy, much worse as a drama
Rated 26 Jul 2014
See djross's review.
Rated 22 Jan 2011
It's always a good idea to make some cash on the side when you're a soldier in Iraq.
Rated 31 Aug 2007
An excellent depiction of war and the effects on the human psyche. funny, and touching.
Rated 06 Sep 2007
This film is what happens when you give a mentally retarded script a cinematographic make-over. Some pretty shots, but still retarded. If your idea of an artsy movie is a shot of Ice Cube in fatigues against a background of mid-day sky, then this is your cup of tea. If you think that idiotic cliches rehashed in pretty gift-wrapping does not make a good movie, stay the hell away from this iredeemable piece of shit.
Rated 14 Sep 2007
Not a typical war story. Begins with humour but ends quite seriously. Cool bullet entering body effects.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Very original war film....in style anyway. It's funny, sad, thrilling, and satirical all at once. Ice Cube seems a bit out of place at times, but the cast is mostly solid.
Rated 15 Oct 2015
Pretty unconventional in presentation and enjoyable. On a deeper thought few cliches are evident which slightly pulls the film down but nevertheless you can watch this at least once.
Rated 10 Nov 2007
could somebody tell me if george were that much in financial crisis those days? gold in Iraq! its oil, man!
Rated 16 Nov 2007
this was surprisingly good!
Rated 19 Nov 2007
a smorgersboard of americanism
Rated 02 Feb 2008
Pretty good.
Rated 24 Dec 2010
Not bad, not great, and still saves the refugees.
Rated 15 Jun 2008
The interrogation segment is the high point, thanks to the Michael Jackson dialogue.
Rated 24 Jun 2008
I really like the style of this film. It's a break from the current Iraq war films that have been out recently.
Rated 11 Jul 2008
Entertaining cosience movie
Rated 15 Oct 2008
for me, a prettu under rated movie. I loved it specially the sarcastic view of war
Rated 25 Oct 2008
Oh, look: Russell's being quirky again, with the ultimate gold heist gone wrong. This ain't your daddy's war movie, hipster.
Rated 26 Nov 2008
Durchwachsene Schatzjagd währen des Golf Kriegs. Clooney wirkt hier leider völlig hölzern. Wahlberg ist aber klasse wie eh und jeh!
Rated 10 Oct 2013
More than prophetic. It should be mandatory viewing for Americans: you are not the heroes, your entire way of life is a war crime. The Gulf War in all its sound and fury. One of the boldest war films ever made: it fully humanizes the "enemy" and turns the tables around. But it's the little details: the crappy '80s kitsch, the minefields, the rebels, the American flags everywhere, the strange hamlets emerging out of a vast desert.
Rated 11 Jan 2012
Three Kings sports a very unusual tone for anti-war movie - its humor is dark and cynical and it riaises confusing feelings. Visual style is also something different, but I liked it.
Rated 06 Jan 2009
The bullet part was pretty swell, as I recall anyway. George Clooney is awesome-o and suprisingly Marky Mark did a decent job as well.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
meh
Rated 15 Jan 2009
it was ok for me
Rated 13 Mar 2009
A gritty, violent action film with a brain and a point of view.
Rated 03 Oct 2013
82.33.
Rated 15 Dec 2011
The film is nicely shot. Acting is ok. Strange unlogical script. Movie does not stick.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Didn't grab me at all. The performances, script, and direction are all okay, but it was a tad bland in my opinion. Ending was horrible also. Clearly a movie I need to revisit...
Rated 19 Aug 2009
They got the medical parts pretty much down, except for the collapsed lung thing (close enough for hollywood). But gold bars weigh 80lbs each. No way in hell are they carrying 800 lbs in a nylon bag.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
I didn't get it...
Rated 20 Aug 2009
I don't really remember it - there was something with a stash of gold...
Rated 15 Aug 2021
?? ????? ???????? ?? ???? ????? ?????? ???? ??? ?? ???? ???????? ? ???? ?????
Rated 18 Dec 2009
A smart, hip effective thriller.
Rated 21 Feb 2010
Very nice story, but it became boring. No surprises.
Rated 11 Apr 2019
A-
Rated 05 Dec 2011
Three Kings does a good job of mixing humor with drama and action. It's a trifecta, just like its title suggests, and while there are four lead characters, maybe the title was referring to these elements that make up the film. Regardless, it does all of them well and is most definitely worth the time it takes to watch it. However, I was disappointed with the fact that I never got an answer to the question "What's the deal with Michael Jackson?" I guess it doesn't matter now.