1997
Romance
Beginning with genuine footage of the departure of the Titanic, this film tells the events of that night from the perspective of fictional survivor Rose. As an old lady of 100 she recounts her story of duty, love and disaster to a salvage crew searching for a lost gem.

1997
Romance

Rated 04 Mar 2007
Of course Titanic uses a tragedy as the backdrop to a love story; of course Billy Zane is comically evil; of course Jack and Rose's love is as pure as the driven snow. The story is told through Rose's eyes, and as she points out after witnessing a CGI recreation, "The experience of it was somewhat different." It's a film about memory and emotional truth. Whether things happened exactly as depicted is irrelevant: what matters is that's how Rose remembers it, because that's how it felt to her.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
The guy that bounces off of one of the propellers as the ship is sinking :D :D :D
Rated 22 Jun 2016
The final scenes with Old Rose piss me off so much they retroactively tarnish the rest of the movie. She openly admits to loving a bum she knew for two days more than the eventual father of her children, then proceeds to drop a priceless necklace (which could have fed Zimbabwe for a year) into the ocean... and for what? Love? Jack might have pushed her off that floating door if he'd known what an awful, selfish person she really was.
Rated 02 May 2007
Isn't there something just innately offensive about the deaths of thousands serving as a backdrop to your typical angst-ridden teenage romance?
If not for all the awards and hype, I doubt people would dislike it so much. Of course it's brazenly melodramatic, but it's also well-acted, exceedingly well-made in terms of the cinematography and music and effects, and the ship sinking is pretty goddamn epic and sensational.
I always figured I'd hate this movie, but it wasn't that bad. Just rather... simple. Rich people bad, poor people good. The villain of the story is so absurdly evil, I'm surprised they didn't try to blame him for the sinking of the ship. So, kinda corny and kinda stupid, but not too bad.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Share that flotsam you rich cow!
Starring the iceberg in a breakout role.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Horribly bloated and overrated attempt at a romantic epic. Aside from the fact that in 1997 Di Caprio was still looking like a 14 year old having a late puberty crisis, and Winslet looks like a buxom middle-class English wench, so you cannot imagine the two being together at all; this film is also poorly written, with a miriad of average support performances. There are also several horrible scenes that just come across as terribly forced and fake. Lacking any charm, Titanic is a turd of a film.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Super movie : drama, action and romance, brillant scenes of the sinking boat.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
I am changing my score after watching it again. It's not the masterpiece I thought it was so many years ago. There are some great visuals to be found, but it's melodrama and mediocre.
Rated 21 Dec 2006
Sink!! Sink faster damn you!! Jesus tap dancing Christ how long is this film! And so on, the entirely justifiable rants against an arse numbingly dud film. Yes the special effects of the film are good and yes its James Cameron but come on. Unless you go squee over Dicaprio (much better in the Aviator and The Departed, see what a director can do for you) or what to see Kate Winslet nekked (it's called the Internet people) there is a half of nothing here for you to see. Also, the next film I see
Rated 27 Feb 2007
All of my 11 year old friends had to see this for some PG-13 titties. Thanks, Kate. The movie gets a lot of hate but it is pretty decent, not great though.
Rated 06 Oct 2009
Despite the cost to make it and the awards it won, it's not even the best Titanic movie.
Rated 23 Mar 2008
Just because you're basing something on a real life tragedy, the artisitc liberties don't just open up for you to use every epic and romantic cliche in fabricating it.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
"Titanic" succeeds because of the melodramatic love affair at the heart of its lavish production design. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet sell it too, even when the script lacks depth. The two stars bring an unwarranted chemistry. So leave it to James Cameron to deliver quite an amazing visual experience, brilliantly executed, saddled with an excellent score and that infamous Celine Dion theme song. The movie is touching and eye-popping, and proven by its success - yes - brilliant.
Rated 29 Apr 2007
It's not trendy to like this film today but I love it to pieces (yes, I'm a man, and a mature one). One of the rare big Hollywood productions that has no baloney, despite its extreme length. Captures exactly how it feels to fall wildly in love with a gal who will be forever beyond your reach
Rated 23 Sep 2010
Kind of boring simplistic film about a spoiled super bitch (fucking over Bill Paxtons and his crews work, going to spend eternity with Jack and not the father of her children etc.). It is well made and the leads perform well enough. One thing, I was not that impressed with the effects. The scale of them was impressive but the end result was not.
Rated 19 Mar 2008
I had to leave
Rated 06 Mar 2008
i find no redeeming qualities in this travesty
If I remember correctly, the first words out of Leo's mouth are from a Bob Dylan song. When I heard that, I knew I was in trouble.
Rated 13 Sep 2008
Most annoying soundtrack song in the history of film. I could maybe watch it again with the sound OFF, just because of the imagery (the ship's decoration, the costumes...) I gotta hand it to Cameron, though, it *is* a technically astounding film.
Rated 08 Feb 2012
I was harsh on it while I was young, but now that I've matured I have no interest in their love at all. None. I want the boat to sink and it takes forever for it to happen. Billy Zane aside, I don't like this movie.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
I don't care what anyone says, the second half of the film - the ship-sinking half - is remarkable film-making. The effects and acting are both very good, plus it touches a lot of emotions.
Rated 20 Jun 2013
Alright, granted that the first hour and a half is quite cheesy and some of the acting is hamfisted I found Titanic to be immensely moving. Not necessarily for the love story but for Cameron's portrayal of accepting death. When I think of this film I'm going to remember the elderly couple holding each other as water sweeps underneath them, or the woman telling her children a story. The destruction is done with care, respect, and admiration for the lives of those on board.
Rated 28 Oct 2021
A treasure-hunting team recruits an old woman to help them find a necklace in the ocean. They fly her over and she proceeds to move her entire life's possessions on board before telling them a very long story that does not help them at all. Then we find out she had the necklace the whole time but she doesn't tell them this and instead drops it in the ocean. Hilariously baffling narrative framework aside, the titular story in the middle is a good one: grandly romantic, exciting, and well-filmed.
Not too bad, but the film's epicness is incredibly forced and the entire thing feels like it was fine tuned by focus groups. This may be the pinnacle of completely generic films, but it's still terribly generic.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
OH GAWD!!!!!!!! the ship isn't half as ill-fated as this piece of shit! the worst actors ever and the longest movie ever. and it couldn't be more predictable or boring. i just wanted to shoot myself.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
I feel kinda bad for thinking this but the only part I really found compelling was when the ship was sinking. Take that, long-dead fictional people!
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Titanic is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Sure, it's sappy and yes it is melodrama, but it's so damn good at what it does I really couldn't care less. From start to finish I was thoroughly impressed by this movie. It'll go down in the history books; after all, it's the biggest movie of all time.
Rated 03 Nov 2012
The disaster parts are pretty exciting and there's a lot of gorgeous visuals and effects, but I just hate the main characters of this story and their awful melodramatic romance.
Rated 08 Oct 2009
Its no Piranha 2.
Rated 04 May 2008
"J-Jack..? Jack...? What is all those fucking fake stars are doing over our heads?"
Rated 17 Jun 2008
Oh god no.
Rated 21 Jul 2007
A bloated epic that suffered from intense media overkill. It wasn't bad---though I'm sure it's hip to say it was on par with "Plan 9 from Outer Space" and that James Cameron is a child molester---it was, in fact, a bit dull and grannyish. I don't know, I just didn't really care too much for it.
Rated 10 May 2008
Fantastic sets and costuming. The work that went into some of this is positively mind-blowing. However, I must ask, why did they go to all that effort to tell me a sub-par love story about two bland people?
Rated 07 Aug 2008
An extremely divisive film, I find it to be excellent but not without its flaws. Cameron knows how to use a budget and his attention to detail and historical accuracy is, at times, mind-boggling. That being said, the main love-triangle plotline hovers between being tired and cringe-inducing, but effectively manages to humanize a legendary 20th century disaster.
Rated 01 Sep 2009
Forget the backlash. Yes, the movie has flaws, but I still find this to be an epic and emotionally powerful film.
This movie got a lot of hype, it got a lot of smack, it got a lot of spoofs... but really it's not that bad of a film. I'm not a big love story guy, and it is a long-as-all-getout movie, but sit through it if this is your thing. It's well done.
Rated 27 Aug 2010
Extremely well-made. Can be boring and slow towards the beginning, but it makes its comeback at the end. Truly a heartbreaker. You aren't just watching Titanic, you are on the boat experiencing it sink in 1912. Leonardo DeCaprio does a superb job. Classic love story.
Rated 05 Apr 2008
yawn...
Rated 11 May 2008
Visually and stylistically near-perfect. The recreation of the Titanic is breathtaking and the special effects are great. It's very well made, but the romance side of things really fall through. The acting, dialog, and chemistry between Jack and Rose is utterly uninspired and cheesy to the point of being annoyingly embarrasing. It's not a bad film, and anyone who says it is is crazy. It's just not very good. Certain scenes are outstanding though and it is actually worth watching for them alone.
It's a good movie. Good enough to be the highest grossing ever? You be the judge.
Rated 06 Apr 2012
I don't think I'd go as far as to call it a masterpiece of cinema like everyone says it is, but I do get the praise. The acting is great as is the score and visual effects. The story itself isn't bad. It's got genuine emotion, and the pacing is pretty good such a long film. At the end of the day, I still think it's a good movie.
Rated 11 Jul 2008
Pretty lame.
Melodrama overdrive. The particulars of the text are often embarrassingly corny, but the overall effect is rather stirring and sad.
Rated 25 May 2020
Good Movie
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Pure tripe. Little historical accuracy.
Rated 12 Aug 2008
Yes Rose, your heart can go on and on and on and on and on and on. And on.
Rated 02 Jul 2008
up yer arse!
Rated 02 Jul 2008
What a boring blockbuster!
Rated 23 Nov 2010
Similar: Fly Me To Polaris (1999), Secret (2007)
Rated 30 Dec 2006
a sad and pathetic attempt to show a true world tragedy. the love story is terrible and not worth a tear.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
I'll never let go! Deserves its place among the all-time best, most captivating and timeless Hollywood epics alongside the likes of 'Gone with the Wind' and 'Lawrence of Arabia'. The 3D conversion is pretty damn impressive but never overshadows the movie itself as the real attraction. The ship of dreams - for the ages.
Rated 07 Feb 2007
I don't really know what to say about Titanic. It's quite well done in many ways, kind of boring, occasionally emotionally affective, fairly simplistic. I could take it or leave it, but I don't exactly regret seeing it or anything. I don't think it's a bad film, and I don't think it's a good film. To me, it just sort of... is.
Rated 18 Feb 2007
Defined a year but now that I grew, I wonder why.
Rated 21 Feb 2011
Watch the 90s most expensive, highest grossing movie about how only bad people have money. Ok. Well, especially the third act is so fucking flawlessly executed, that it's a pity this is first and foremost a love story. By someone who without any semblance of a doubt lives and breathes big action cinema, not phony emotional kitsch romance. I'll admit, that stuff still got me somewhat. I'm a big softie.
Rated 27 Jun 2008
Nice
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Good film.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
I've put off watching this for a while (um, about 10 years I guess), but I was pleasantly surprised. It's no masterpiece, but it's a very good movie. Some of the dialogue is silly, but I cared about the characters, and the when the ship starts sinking it's pretty intense stuff.
Rated 20 Apr 2007
I like the part when Leo dies.
Rated 20 Apr 2007
Total blah.
Rated 17 Dec 2015
Just one question; this rich cow really thinks poor people are happy and rich ones are sad and miserable? Then i definitely prefer to be a fat fuck sad miserable rich cow!
Rated 11 Feb 2023
Here you get 2 movies in one! A 90-minute romance, followed by a 90-minute disaster-thriller. It's America's Romeo & Juliet, dying for not each other as much as the ideal of individual freedom at all costs. Would you give your life for someone you met 3 days ago? James Cameron is my favourite director of all-time, and this is still great on the big screen, 25 years later, and still got my eyes leaking, thinking of my own lost love.
Rated 27 Nov 2007
This entire movie is essentially a 5 minute documentary on the titanic with an unoriginal love story thrown in.
Rated 13 Jun 2007
very long, very long indeed
Rated 25 Jan 2013
100 ? I must have been insane back in those days.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
Entirely undeserving of its accolades, this movie is a lesson in patience making you wait until the ships sinks to start enjoying.
Rated 17 Aug 2015
What the fuck, Rose? You knew the guy for all of 5 days and yet he and all the faceless people on the titanic are the ones you think will be waiting for you when you die? What about the guy you actually married and arguably spent 40-50 years with?!
Rated 18 Nov 2012
I went in fully expecting to hate this movie and pass it off as sentimental, manipulative pablum, but it certainly worked on me. Aside from that annoying "My Heart Will Go On" motif and the dated CGI, it really does everything right and serves as the quintessence of contemporary Hollywood film.
The boat sinking is worth a 70.
Rated 25 Sep 2012
Step right up step right up witness the greatest marvel of modern man : PG boobs.
Arguebly one of the most overrated movies of all time, Titanic was also one of the highest grossing films of all time. Titanic is more about a very cliche love-story including one of the first nude breast shots in a PG-13 movie, making it extremely popular, than a trategic movie about a tragic shipwreck. The acting is decent and directing is very well done. Overall however it is little more than a lame romance between a couple and those seeking a real film about the trategy of the Titanic should
There are some great scenes in this film, it just doesn't hold up well altogether.
Ugh three hours of poor acting, and cheesy romantic cliches.
Titanic is a very well made film in respects to cinematography, CGI, and acting. However, the romance between Jack (DiCaprio) and Rose (Winslet) is such a huge part of the movie that it takes away from the very exciting events of the film, thus making it seem boring until the second half. Meh!
Hating Titanic is like hating Gone With The Wind. Granted, I DO hate Gone With The Wind, but this is the rare cultural event that makes all critical points seem moot. And I don't think it's possible to have anything but goodwill for Leo and Kate at this point in their careers.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
There are two good things about this movie, and Leonardo DiCaprio's characters makes a sketch of them.
Rated 05 Nov 2008
The classical romance
I wanted to like this movie. James Cameron directed it - it has to be good, right? Wrong! This is a lame love story told by cardboard actors (read DeCaprio) wrapped in pretty paper. No denying the quality of the Special Effects, but I intensly dislike this movie AND I REALLY HATE THAT SONG! Celine Dion is evil.
Rated 31 Mar 2008
Okay, so I'm a sucker for this love story. Sue me.
Rated 20 Mar 2018
HE COULD HAVE SURVIVED!
Rated 19 Jul 2011
this film is sexy
Rated 15 Apr 2012
Only JC can can get something good out of a Romeo and Juliet at sea.
this movie was a waste of my time. i don't care about leonardo di caprio and kate winslet (who i do like) making eyes at each other.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Yea, it's epic. Very epic. But I just am not a huge fan.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Provides more laughs than most current comedies, most of them unintentional. Very poorly written (this flick has WAY more than its share of howlers), and almost as poorly directed, no character utters a line that could have conceivably been said by any human. The sole moment of authenticity-thanks-to-craft comes from Gloria Stuart when she tells her tale. The corners cut on the special effects are noticeable and bizarre, and the final gesture is SO shameful, all involved should be embarrassed.
Rated 29 Mar 2010
You have to be very drunk to find this enjoyable.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
o-ver-ra-ted
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Crap
Rated 14 May 2008
the plot itself is subpar, but good cast of actors. Of course it does well due to love story and being based off of something so tragic.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
A whole lot of money will make a standard disaster flick into a best picture. Yeah, I'm still bitter.
Rated 28 Apr 2017
"Yes granddaughter, let me tell you the story of the love of my youth, who I knew for many hours and have pined away for all these years. Your grandfather? Heck no, but he passed the time. I'm talking true love here." This won the most Oscars of all time? The same people who love this are probably saying A Walk to Remember is too melodramatic. Good music score, though, and I did like the parts about the Titanic.
Rated 17 Jan 2013
The longest 3+ hour movie in existence.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
Impressed, by their real scenes of despair. Enjoy, for its simple and funny scenes. And excites, with his beautiful story of love.
Rated 21 Feb 2008
I am not proud to say that I almost cried when I saw this movie. It was way too long.
Rated 28 Mar 2011
44 points based on a the pretty decent effects times the excellent production design and divided by the number of times I wanted to kick Leonardo De Capitation in the groin. Answer: 44.
Rated 27 Nov 2009
So, we all know romance is not my thing, being a guy and all, but still, you can't deny the scale, the scope, the drama! There's a meticulousness, a sense of texture that simply will not be denied. Yup, it's that Jim Cameron touch.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
too long, too boring, too draggy, too...etc
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Can watch it for Dicarpio and Kate, cant say superb acting, the whole disaster overshadows their acting, its more of the directors ability which shines through and the loive between the principal characters