Trading Places (1983)
A snobbish investor and a wily street con artist find their positions reversed as part of a bet by two callous millionaires. (imdb)
Cast and Information
Directed By: John Landis
Where to Stream
Trading Places belongs to 32 collections
1. boobs (collaborative: moderated by Pickpocket - 51 stars)
2. Edgar Wright 1000 Favorite Movies (Aug 2016) (collaborative: moderated by Aron Ericson - 17 stars)
3. Christmas (collaborative: moderated by td888 - 16 stars)
4. Fourth wall (collaborative: moderated by djross - 16 stars)
5. Films available in HD (collaborative: moderated by kubricksucks - 13 stars)
6. Business, Finance and Economics (collaborative: moderated by djross - 10 stars)
7. Cinema Discusso Yearly Consensus (2008) (public: PeaceAnarchy - 10 stars)
8. Prostitution (collaborative: moderated by Moribunny - 7 stars)
9. Filmsite.org - Sex in the Movies, An Illustrated History (collaborative: moderated by afx237vi - 5 stars)
10. Top 3000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (public: fanfic - 5 stars)
11. mwgerb's Netflix Instant Queue (public: mwgerb - 2 stars)
12. Top 2000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (public: fanfic - 2 stars)
13. Philadelphia (collaborative: moderated by djross - 1 star)
14. Hollywood Hits, 1920 to present (collaborative: moderated by lisa- - 1 star)
15. Films That Clearly Break the Fourth Wall (collaborative: moderated by Dunstan-xxx - 1 star)
16. Coheed's Celluloid Pit (public: Coheed - 1 star)
17. Cinetheque (public: allegreller - 1 star)
18. Annual top 5 worldwide box office, 1975 - 2022 (public: djross - 1 star)
19. Blackface (collaborative: moderated by Hailey)
20. Silly (collaborative: moderated by juandr)
21. Ratings (collaborative: moderated by cheapthrills)
22. Cinemateca - Grandes Géneros: Comédia (collaborative: moderated by pmpfe)
23. Available on Divicast (collaborative: moderated by Dunstan-xxx)
24. Sporadic's Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD Collection (public: Strive)
25. nminichino DVD collection (public: nminichino)
26. Mwgerb - Seen but Unrated (public: mwgerb)
27. Edgar 256 (public: caffe)
28. My Movie Collection (public: elhenzo)
29. Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood Podcast (public: TychoCelchuu)
30. Films Dunstan Owns (public: Dunstan-xxx)
31. Christmas Favorites (public: alwayssummer)
32. Unofficially Beating The World Record For Most Films Watched in a Year (public: EsperHart)
Browse the full list of collections
Jamie Lee Curtis has fantastic breasts.
Ah, for the days when John Landis made good movies and Eddie Murphy was funny
A pretty ordinary comedy in which everybody plays to type and there are few surprises. The concept has enough mileage but there aren't many laughs. Jamie Lee Curtis's boobs are the only reason to watch this. I never thought I'd sink that low as a film aficionado, but you just made me, John Landis.
Wow! Eddie Murphy _was_ funny. I was starting to lose faith.
This hasn't aged well, and not just because Aykroyd shows up in blackface and speaking in fake patois. There is funny moments, but the film's true strength is in its socioeconomic message. Also, only one use of Eddie Murphy's laugh. That's a disgrace.
Another '80s comedy I don't get excited about.
Viewed May 10, 2017.
Aykroyd, Murphy, Curtis, the baddies, etc. are all pretty likable and well cast. I just don't get it, though. I mean, people are calling it a wonderful comedy and a laugh riot, but other than Murphy at the start, it's not really funny. And for a non-American watching it in 2016, the climax of the movie might as well be them speaking in tongues. No idea how that stock market stuff works. Meh!
An interesting premise that does not fully develop its racial themes, but the fact that it even addresses class at all distinguishes it from Hollywood comedies made today that outright refuse to deal with it. In that sense, it really is a comedy from a lost world, one where Murphy and Aykroyd were funny and Landis was still relevant. Despite some dead patches, which are typical of Landis' comedies, the train scene compensates, and the supporting cast holds their own against the big stars.
Love this film
|Average Percentile 57.88% from 3846 Ratings|