2001
A police drama about a veteran officer (Washington) who escorts a rookie (Hawke) on his first day with the LAPD's tough inner-city narcotics unit. (Warner Bros.)

2001

Rated 26 May 2021
In a way this picture symbolizes the cultural end of the 1990's as we never had another hip-hop crime film like it or saw Denzel Washington as a wholesome movie star. Fuqua is a perfect director, because like hip-hop this film recycles from past source material (namely Colors and Scarface) and energizes it with an urban, modern perspective. There's also a dark Chaotic Neutral mentality that asks how one can tell between the cops & the robbers when both are heartless. And what an ending.
Rated 21 Sep 2021
Denzel has so much good will built up that I cant even get mad at him as a villain. Terry hates crooked cops.
Rated 07 Dec 2012
This movie still wins me over. I'm surprised that I can still watch it so many times and still enjoy it. It's nothing amazing, but Denzel Washington really is amazing, and I really liked Ethan Hawke in here too (I usually like him either way). One of Fuqua's purer movies and it isn't really too uneven. Ayer's story is passable, but the characters and actors portraying them keep your attention all the way through. I loved it!
Rated 11 Jun 2018
The poster is misleading, I would never watch this film based on that poster. This is a surprisingly brilliant storytelling!
Rated 21 Feb 2012
The shower scene is one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen in cinema.
Rated 20 Nov 2020
I don't like Denzel playing a bad guy But he Is superb in the roles he chooses and good chemistry with Hawke Cleverly written movie
Rated 31 Jan 2007
I think I tried to tell myself at first that I liked this movie. In truth, there's nothing more than a couple of cool scenes and Denzel's awesome performance.
Rated 13 Aug 2018
It's impossible to imagine anyone else pulling this off: Denzel lends an impenetrable confidence and credibility to an otherwise cartoonish villain, and Hawke plays both sides of his character so well he looks like he's aged 10 years by the end. It's on the strength of the sharp-edged dialogue, the nightmarish suspense scenes which threaten constant danger, and one of the most biting indictments of urban policing of its era that the film succeeds despite its stereotypical foundation.
Rated 30 Jul 2019
A novel spin on the typical police drama is exceptionally well-done for the first half; Washington's show-stopping performance makes his Alonzo an enigmatic, frightening and always fascinating figure. Runs seriously aground in the second half, as subtlety is stripped away and Washington becomes a gnashing, unstoppable villain (the climax is unforgivably overblown and unbelievable). Would have been more interesting if the notion of "becoming a crook to catch one" had been followed through.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Average dirty cop drama elevated by Denzel and even Hawke.
Rated 17 May 2008
Denzel has one of those characters that you love to hate in this movie, and his interactions with Ethan Hawke are what makes this a great movie. It's got a good plot and some great twists.
Rated 19 Jan 2010
Hawke's and especially Denzel's performances are really the only standouts in this unremarkably-plotted corrupt cop drama. From the get go, Denzel comes off as more of a jack-ass than a bad-ass - his treatment of Hawke as the naive rookie is more absurd than anything else. It felt like the plot was building to something interesting, but it unfortunately devolves into a standard "good guy fights bad guy" fight as its climax. Disappointing that Denzel won an award for such a weak film.
Rated 26 Feb 2022
There is a lot of great in the film, but the material is really elevated thanks to Washington and Hawke. Like, just to pick two names that were rumoured to play Alonzo and Jake's roles -- can you imagine Gary Sinise and Freddy Prinze Jr. acting in this? Having never seen this before, but being a teenager in 2004, my only knowledge of this was from the Wayne Brady Chappelle's Show sketch. Impossible to watch that "get wet" scene now.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
Awesome cop flick, Denzel deserved the Oscar by a landslide.
Rated 26 Mar 2011
What at least begins in an appealingly energetic way winds up as a ludicrously over-dramatic crime-fighting fantasy trying too hard for an air of authenticity, or grittiness, or cynicism, or something, until this too gives way to the dictates of generic convention, complete with utterly absurd bad-guy speechifying and melodramatic body-quaking hail-of-bullets death scenes. If this passes for "realism" today, then Hollywood really does inhabit another Planet.
Rated 30 Jan 2013
Denzel Washington gives another outstanding performance in this film. Ethan Hawke is also very good here. The plot is interesting, it revolves around two cops, one who is corrupt and the other who is a rookie. Definitely check out this drama.
Rated 12 Aug 2023
The two main characters turn out to be exactly what you expect them to be after watching the first 10 minutes. The plot is so transparent that you wait for some kind of twist that never comes. And Hawke's character keeps going along with everything to the point of absurdity. However, for once, Denzel's performance saves this from being completely forgettable. I can understand why this movie is remembered, but not why people liked it so much.
Rated 21 Jun 2013
This was alright. I didn't really like it for at least the first half. I found it really hard to like when I just hated Denzel Washington's character. But, yeah, I guess that was the point. It had some really great scenes in the second half, though. It did get a bit too 'Hollywood' at points, so I would've preferred it a little more gritty. Washington and Ethan Hawke were fine. Yeah, nothing amazing, but an enjoyable ride.
Rated 31 Aug 2020
This does a great job at showing how idealism towards a worthy cause gets confronted by a cynical reality, and this kind of dread (and others like it) escalates with each passing scene -- until the denouement, which struck me as far more unrealistic than anything else in this film (or maybe neighbourhoods of gangsters and criminals really do have an honour system).
Denzel Washington is absolutely brilliant in the Oscar worthy role of Alonzo Harris. Fuqua manages to get a nice street vibe with real gangsters and fitting music.
Rated 06 Oct 2009
Engaging at first; Washington's seasoned cop who knows that sometimes to keep the law you have to break sounds like a cliche, but he really sells it. Hawke's pretty good too as the eager yet conflicted rookie. Sadly the plot needlessly descends into conspiracy and twists and a fight sequence that betrays the realism of the movie's first act.
Rated 08 Mar 2011
Denzel is a god in this movie. King Kong ain't got shit on him.
Both Denzel Washinton and Ethan Hawke shine in this movie. There's some great tension and twists along the way, as well. It's definitely a keeper and in my DVD rack.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
A superior cop film with an outstanding performance by Denzel Washington.
Rated 03 May 2021
Great pacing and a great performance by Denzel. The good cop bad cop only holds up for so long; the leads lost most of my interest by the end. Still a fun and entertaining flick.
Rated 11 Mar 2019
I struggle with the dichotomy here of Washington's over the top evil character against Hawke's naïve whiter than snow good guy. It would be easier to swallow if the rest of the movie didn't take itself so seriously and instead went full on Michael Bay as an action thriller. I'm glad Denzel got his Oscar, but it's a shame this is the one he was recognized for.
Rated 11 Mar 2017
Remember Jack Slater from 'The Last Action Hero'? This is the sort of item that would win 'Best Documentary' in his world.
Rated 13 Feb 2012
Denzel playing a crooked gangster cop a la Rampart scandal? It would have been impossible for me to not love this movie, even without the great performances and cameos.
Rated 03 Feb 2007
Denzel Washington is great and Ethan Hawke is pretty good as well but the movie tries to do too much too fast.
Rated 05 Aug 2021
Just rewatched for the first time in 20 years. I kinda feel like I have to notch my score down a hair - the “we get, he’s a crooked cop” scenes get a little much, and it feels a bit long for its one-day timeframe. But that said it does amp up to admirably tense levels and Denzel is wickedly entertaining start to finish (and even the longest no-Denzel scene at the poker game/bathroom with Ethan Hawke the gangbangers is pretty damn good too). No great film but solid.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
There's a ton I liked about this: vivid depiction of its Los Angeles setting, multiple plot threads that tie together, the fact that it takes place over a single day, etc. But ultimately, what it all comes down to is Denzel, who gives an inspired performance and creates one of the most fascinating characters in recent American movies.
Rated 04 Mar 2011
While never reaching any great heights, "Training Day" is still pretty hard to fault. Washington and Hawke both do very well, and their chemistry together is good. Although that said, I can't see how Denzel won his Oscar for this? I'm not normally a fan of Ayer's scripts either, but this was pretty solid and flowed well. All-in-all an entertaining, tense thriller.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
Solid bad cop/good cop story, raised to a higher bar by how well the two leads sell the story and their characters.
Rated 18 Jan 2009
Hawke and Denzel are both really good, and Fuqua takes us into an intimidating (under)world. The scene where Hawke is about to be killed is intense and unforgettable.
A well written movie with nice cyclical structure. A cast of Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre and Macy Gray shouldn't yield this good of a movie, but it does. I think Hawke out acted Denzel (that scene in the bathtub is powerful shit) but they both were amazing. I love crooked cops!
Tries to cover too much territory, but does a good job with most of its material. Denzel Washington puts in an inspired performance.
Rated 13 Jun 2008
good movie
Great performances hampered by a weak script. Denzel as the hideously corrupt cop is amazing. Ethan Hawke kind of... exists.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Why did Denzel win for THIS movie?
Rated 10 Feb 2016
The biggest draw here is no doubt Washington's electric performance as a dirty LA cop, but 'Training Day' also works thanks to its gritty, gripping energy and its gruff look at the inner-city. Too bad this dissipates as a subplot involving the Russian mob rears its head and takes everything off the rails.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
There are some fantastic scenes here, but much of the material feels forced. Alonzo's philosophical banter is over the top and Jack's puppy-dog persona gets old. It could have been just "a day in training," but the inclusion of the Russian plot turned too Hollywoodish. However, the grittiness and real-feel is very welcomed.
Rated 14 Feb 2014
So pointless in it's motive that it doesn't deserve a written review.
Rated 23 Jun 2022
King Kong (1933) does have sh*t on this, I assure you; but that's not to say Training Day isn't pretty good.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
For once washington plays a scum bag, good movie, nice and gritty. the way daddy like.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
Ethan Hawke really putting it on and playing off of Denzel perfectly. Another movie blessed with stellar performances coupled with great directing.
Watachable and interesting but it has alot of deus ex machina moments.
Rated 04 Jan 2016
A great original cop movie.
Rated 01 Sep 2021
Sometimes you just gotta watch two A-list actors duke it out. Fun fact: I was interrupted watching this because Donda dropped at 5am.
Rated 24 Nov 2008
great location shots
Rated 09 Sep 2012
Uneven. The first half is solid enough, but feels rather clichéd and unexciting. The second half begins with a streak of highly successful sequences: tension, interesting moral commentary and entertainment value are combined in a very effective way and Washington's performance begins to take off. Unfortunately, the climax is rather underwhelming. Still, for the most part it's a very watchable and taut film -plus, it finds both Washington and Hawke in very fine form.
Rated 15 Apr 2010
Denzel = Awesome
This is a smart and insightful film, but it is NOT Denzel's best, or the one he should have won an Oscar for. No, the reason you should see this movie is Ethan Hawke's performance! Check it out! Watch it again!
Rated 06 Mar 2021
Most amazing acting from Denzel
Rated 03 Sep 2023
I can't explain why, but "King Kong ain't got shit on me" is one of my favourite lines in all of cinema. I first saw this when I was 18 years old and it made quite an impression on me, so much so that I convinced my Year 12 teacher to let us watch it in class and I then proceeded to wrote an essay about it. So, my rating likely says more about me at that time than it does about the film itself.
Rated 25 Jan 2016
Silly flick.
Disturbing and well-acted. Believable yet outlandish. Not GREAT, but very good.
Rated 07 Mar 2012
Death is certain and life isn't, nigga
Rated 12 Nov 2019
It's an okay movie elevated by Washington and Hawke. Tense scenes including an unexpected turn in the middle for me. I went into this blind. Lots of deus ex machina. Fav scene: drug dealer's house with the other narcotics cops.
Rated 08 Jun 2009
Bit over the top I guess, a guys' film.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
A good solid action flick, definitely worth a watch.
Rated 22 Mar 2018
Saw it some time ago, but I didn't like it a lot. Especially the ending was disappointing.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
The ending may be less than satisfying, but Denzel Washington reminds us why he's such a great actor in this taut and brutal police drama.
Rated 18 Sep 2011
A plot we've all seen before and quite a few cliches, but the acting (especially Denzel) and the direction are so solid it feels entirely real and organic. Tense and entertaining.
Rated 25 Mar 2008
I shit my pants.
Rated 04 Jun 2007
a movie that builds on itself till the very end
Rated 14 Sep 2016
hakkında criticker'da yapılmış her iyi ve kötü yorumu bir şekilde hak etmeyi başaran bir film. fuqua ve ayer'in şaşırdığım böyle bir tarafı var gerçekten. iyi atıştırmalık.
Rated 18 Jan 2016
I'm torn. I enjoyed it a lot, but it takes itself way to seriously for how goofy it it. Just watch Denzel's wiggly arm death. He gets hit with a couple bullets and he turns into an antiquated jell-o commercial. I can't imagine how much arm wiggles would be needed if they parodied this like Tropic Thunder did with Wilem Dafoe's death in Platoon.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
Ok, Bad Lieutenant is better, this is a remake of that film
Rated 27 Nov 2008
MUY BUEN CONCEPTO Y MEJORES ACTUACIONES, LA DIRECCION ESTA DE MIEDO
Rated 25 Nov 2012
This feels more or less like a by-the-numbers action/crime movie. The fact that it all takes place in one day makes both more unique and less believable. Believability aside, the performances are solid, especially Denzel's oscar winning Alonzo, who is a very fun character to watch and learn more about. In a better director's hands with some script changes this may have been better, but even so it is totally worth a watch.
King Kong ain't got nothing on Denzel as he chews up the scenery in a Pacino-esque cokemania. Pretty good crime thriller in the ghettoes of LA.
Good movie but Oscar worthy I don't think so. Similar to the series the Shield but rated R.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
What's the big deal? Overrated movie
Rated 05 Feb 2008
An action flick that surprises more than once. Riddled with great performances and a bullet-proof script.
Rated 08 Mar 2009
Good story, but what keep our focus in the screen it's the brilliant performance of Denzel Washington...
Rated 09 Sep 2010
Learn to hate Denzel Washington, the actor he plays anyway.
Rated 15 Jul 2009
Possibly overrated, but it works as a gritty crime thriller.
Rated 04 May 2022
I really liked this! I haven't seen Denzel in a ton, and loved seeing him doing what he does best which is act his fucking pants off. Hawke was also very good here and I would love to see him in a lot more If I can help It. I didn't think there was anything too special with the plot, but I definitely wasn't sure what was going to happen in the last half of the movie. In a good way though! I enjoyed this immensely and highly recommend for and film fan. I give 8 1979 Chevy Monte Carlos out of 10.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Average action flick with its own little perks.
Didn't love it, mad that Denzel Washington won the Oscar. Good Soundtrack though.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
There is something about this dark drama that takes you inside the dark side of law enforcement and it's believability that is just so intriguing, and as he always does Denzel Washington delivers in a very challenging role.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Denzel!
Rated 07 Sep 2010
#00s(e)#, reviews, story, casting.
Rated 23 Jul 2009
Nice job, mr Washington
Rated 09 Jun 2009
Good performance from Denzel doing the good cop, bad cop thing...I enjoyed this and would watch again..
Rated 01 Apr 2016
I haven't seen any movie with an ending so implausibly cynical.
Grit. Power. Eva Mendes' Breasts. A.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Denzel does a great job as a crooked cop, but really beyond that, there's not a lot of substance to this one. It's not as good as a lot of people make it out to be.
Rated 10 May 2008
Very brutal, very realistic and astonishing
Rated 08 Apr 2007
You can tell how much Washington enjoyed playing this character. Good acting on both sides even though the plot was a bit thin.
Rated 25 Dec 2012
overrated.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Denzel Washington had never been seen quite like this before, and that's why he was so effective in this Oscar-winning performance. Ethan Hawke nearly matches his intensity in one eventful, entertaining action-thriller.
A great cop movie, well acted and exciting to the ending credits. One of the gems of the year.
Rated 29 Oct 2015
Training Day is a rare example of a mediocre film that is drastically elevated by the performance of it's leading man. Denzel Washington gives a career best and worthy Oscar winning performance. Ethan Hawke is impressive also, but he does get somewhat swallowed up by the screen presence of Denzel Washington. The plot itself is by no means ground breaking, but this is an intimidating & thrillingly brutal crime drama that is well directed by Antoine Fuqua and impressively written by David Ayer.
Rated 15 Jan 2024
Opinión personal: 7 Actores: 8.5 Guión: 7 Fotografía: 6 BSO: 6.5 Otros:7 Iluminación: FX: Director:6 Humor: Vestuario/caracterización:- Ritmo: 8 Total: 72
Brutal, funny and endlessly watchable. Each character leaps off the screen.
Whoopdie-fucking-doo.
Rated 09 Sep 2014
started out slow and it took a while to establish what was really going on, but by the end it was worth the wait. both ethan hawke and denzel washington gave stellar performances, and the film revealed something true, albeit a bit simplistic, about the nature of morality, and what it really means to be corrupt. the film also had a nice way of tying seemingly trivial events from its early scenes to its climactic finish. made it a rewarding and entertaining watch, ultimately.
Rated 08 Aug 2014
Scarface for powertripping cops. Ethan Hawke was never more perfectly cast, as a naive square.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
I LOVE YOU DENZEL! Ahem, I mean this is a pretty good cop drama. Not groundbreaking, but very solid.