True Lies

True Lies

1994
Romance

Rated 11 Oct 2013
I've never been so relieved to see Arab terrorists interrupt a striptease.
Rated 08 Mar 2013
Woman marries man with an inexplicably thick Austrian accent named Harry Tasker. Doesn't realize he's a spy.
Rated 23 Mar 2011
The last above-average Arnold film. Makes you miss the 90s.
It's a fun action movie that serves to lovingly make fun of it's own genre. Expect lots of people to get shot, lots of stuff to blow up, Arnold to be tough and Jamie Lee Curtis to be hot and you won't be disappointed. Unless, of course, that doesn't sound like the movie for you because then you'll be disappointed no matter what.
Rated 07 Aug 2010
Fun action movie starring Arnie and Jamie Lee Curtis' boobs. The scene where the two leads share an intimate moment whilst a nuke goes off in the background basically sums up the film. Hell yeah.
Rated 29 Dec 2009
Arnie blows and shoots stuff and people up and Jamie Lee Curtis looks hot. What more do you want?
Rated 20 Mar 2013
Could've been great instead of ok. I'm not really sure what went wrong: the acting, effects and direction are ok. I guess the real problem is in the casting. Maybe instead of Schwarzenegger we had Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie is his wife, who's also a secret agent, and they don't know that they're spying on each other so they end up in a a big fight at the end. And maybe their name is something like "Smith". And maybe we'd call it "Mr Smith goes to Washington". Yeah, now that would be a movie.
Rated 14 Feb 2007
YOU'RE FIRED!
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Funny, and some really, really great action sequences, especially the island and the bathroom shootout at the beginning. Overall, a very strong Schwarzenegger action offering.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
All the marks are for the the harrier jump jet scene and Jamie Lee Curtis keeping her cock in during the dance!
Rated 06 May 2011
Why everyone keeps climbing, running or driving UP to the TOP? That attribute makes the movie campy and silly. I mean, what kind of idiot drives his motorscyle into skayscraper to run away? Or again, what kind of idiot tries to climb a moving helicopter instead of simply put aside a dead man to stop the car?
Rated 05 Mar 2007
Overblown, but still lots of fun. the last good movie for both Cameron and Schwarzenegger.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Awesome action packed blockbuster starring none other than Arnold!!!
Rated 20 Mar 2007
One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's best action films. It works as spy film, a romance, an action film, and a comedy. James Cameron brilliantly seemed bent on making the end-all flick of action movies, reaching so far over-the-top in every new scene that it seems like an impossible feat to compete with it. Even by today's standards, the audacity of it hasn't been recaptured. Instead, audiences currently get screwy, cut-and-paste editing replacing memorable gargantuan set pieces.
Rated 15 Jun 2020
feels like a script written by a first time writer, which is odd, because whilst Cameron isn't a masterful writer, he is typically a very efficient one. the movie takes 80 minutes to establish its premise, and then spends the last hour wasting it. this would be better if the movie were actually funny, but it isn't. I also don't consider it particularly romantic, but I'm not the guy who has been married five times.
Rated 17 May 2007
So very much fun.
Rated 27 Dec 2014
That VHS / battery low scene is one of the funniest scenes in all of cinema.
Fun throughout but not a very challenging movie...
Arnold and James Cameron in one of their best collaborations. Funny and exciting, and Jamie Lee Curtis appears to have a smoking body.
Rated 09 Dec 2017
T.L was, and remains, an entertaining but ultimately disappointing film for Arnie and Cameron who made serious waves with the innovative T2 three years earlier that pushed blockbusters to a whole new level of technical sophistication. Comparatively speaking, T.L is a lightweight affair that plays more like an elaborately produced goof. Cameron doesn't have a gift for comedy--only Tom Arnold and Curtis are convincingly funny--but he knows action, and T.L delivers on that front, if nothing else.
My recollection is that the sexual politics of this movie were rather questionable.
Rated 21 Jan 2010
There are some fun action bits, but it's all brought down by stupid, chauvinistic, clichéd, overblown characters and dialogue. Schwarzenegger's gaudy machismo is channeled much better in other films; here, it's just repugnant. Jamie Lee Curtis isn't much better, though one can empathize with her oblivious frustration with her marriage to her mysteriously buff computer salesman husband, aka dishonest pig of an undeserving asshole. Lame, lame, lame.
A great action comedy - big stunts, big laughs and characters you care about. Fun throughout.
Or as I call it, "The last good Arnold flick" where comedy and action wirl together in some sort of super beast.
Rated 25 Jun 2018
Even though some of the humor is about as dated as Tom Arnold's appeal as a comedian, this is still an Arnie semi-classic. Fun set pieces, great pacing, a 45 minute subplot with a priceless Bill Paxton and the occasional hilariously inept Schwarzenegger delivery make it a win. I'd really like for Cameron to return from Pandora soon and whip up some more nineties style action cheese.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Typical popcorn movie. It has great moments of action, jokes a lot and spectacular sequences. Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis shows a good chemistry and good gags.
Rated 27 May 2014
GET DOWN! ... with this awesome action flick! Arnold has a pretty good time taking terrorists down a peg and also being really funny. This is one of those action films from the 90's that stick with you. The humor throughout is great, it really ramps up when Bill Paxton hits the scene as the sleazy used-car salesman who pretends to be a spy to get chicks...
Rated 10 Dec 2009
Aw, yeah! How can you not like this action packed comedy film with The Schwarz, Jamie Lee Curtis and Tom Arnold. There's a number of memorable lines and wild chases and Jamie Lee put on a really sexy dance.
Rated 20 Jan 2024
Shockingly goofy entry for Cameron, often held aloft no doubt by its third act which features characteristic "how the hell did you do that" setpieces. But the politics don't hold up anymore and some of the views on marriage feel a bit prejudicial in the hands of Mr. Three Divorces (four since this film came out). Still, this is Schwarzenegger in top form. I'm not sure he'll ever get a better chance to prove why he was such a box office draw.
Rated 02 Nov 2013
True Lies is Arnold Schwarzenegger's last great action film and his third collaboration with Director James Cameron has it all. Great set pieces, impressive visuals, good humour, fun characters and most importantly it's action packed. Arnold Schwarzenegger is on top form and the supporting cast features great performances from Jamie Lee Curtis, Bill Paxton and Tom Arnold. True Lies is completely over the top, but it never takes itself too seriously and it's thoroughly enjoyable and re-watchable.
Rated 17 Jan 2011
Entertaining movie with some funny lines
Rated 26 Feb 2008
Terrific action-adventure film
Rated 28 Feb 2008
Jamie Lee Curtis, now thats a man that i would f*ck
Rated 12 Jan 2011
One thing Cameron does really poorly is hide stunt doubles, and upon review, this is particularly distracting. But hey, it was the blockbuster 90s, filled with Arnold's unmistakable accent slash acting, ehm, 'acting', some Arab country's worth of terrorist threats and over-the-top action sequences pierced with situational comedy. Silly, sure, but never short of entertaining.
Rated 25 Jan 2021
As a kid, I first saw this at my dad's house and loved it. So, at my mom's, I told her we should rent it. However, my little brain seemed to completely forget about the Jamie Lee Curtis stripping scene, and it was an incredibly awkward viewing for those few minutes. Jamie Lee Curtis gives a great comedic performance, even if the plot becomes "let's make her think she has to cheat on Arnie". However, it also has Arnie riding a horse, so this is a film of contradictions -- true lies, if you will.
Rated 15 Jan 2023
Two acts of some of the most incredible spectacle and joyous fun action ever filmed, broken up in the middle by an absolutely terrible extended riff on how women are stupid and gaslighting is awesome
Rated 07 Oct 2013
This is a film that ends with a man urinating on himself during a ballroom scene. The rest of it is schlocky action (the first 20 minutes almost resembling Bond-like camp) bookending a weak affair sub-plot that dies completely during the interrogation sequence. Hang around for the single Arnold one liner though, probably worth it. A comedy usually needs a mark, keeping in the spy theme, & this one manages to target every modern nation built on what was the Persian empire and women in general.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Fun and action packed. This has just the right balance of humor and action.
Rated 27 May 2020
Cameron is a great director and Schwarzenegger movies are almost always fun. That being said, this movie has not aged well at all. Don't rewatch it.
Somewhere along the way it goes way over the top and that just killed it for me.
Rated 31 Dec 2006
I jut love that movie.
Rated 06 Jan 2007
A fun, stupid movie
Rated 24 May 2016
little mad, and adultish too
Rated 10 Dec 2011
The first time I saw it I loved it. Recently I watched it and I was still entertained but had plot issues I didn't realize before.
Rated 17 May 2010
James Cameron's worst film, utterly horrifying in its illogical script, bad pacing, humor-deflating and tension-ruining editing, and rampant misogyny.
Rated 27 Jun 2009
Rated 02 Jan 2009
Bill...Paxton.
Rated 19 Feb 2007
True Lies é genial. Cameron abusa dos clichês clássicos da melhor forma, fazendo do filme uma paródia de si mesmo. As sequências de ação, repletas de absurdos, nunca deixam o expectador na mão, e só evoluem com o decorrer da projeção, de modo a coroar True Lies, numa cena envolvendo um caça de guerra e terroristas maus, como o maior petardo do gênero de todos os tempos. Muita ação e comédia. Jamie Lee Curtis faz de sua atuação algo surpreendente e inesperada, porém, um pouco exagerada em alguns
Rated 19 Feb 2007
I really loved this as a kid. Everything's dated now.
Rated 28 Apr 2016
Need to rewatch.
Rated 14 Apr 2012
Arnold rides a horse, drives a corvette, and flies a harrier jet. Is there really anything else I need to say to convince you to watch this?
Rated 03 Jan 2009
I remember being blown away by this the first time I saw it. I remember thinking, Tom Arnold kind of steals the show at certain points. I remember thinking, Jamie Lee Curtis is really fine. Everything an Arnold film should be with a healthy amount of comedy thrown in.
Rated 13 Mar 2007
One of Arnolds better action films, this one can peak the interest of just about anyone.
Rated 06 May 2011
Where are the negative points when you need them?
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Arnie plays at James Bond.
Rated 26 May 2007
Arnold!
Rated 01 Jul 2007
A hateful, misogynistic screed disguised as an action movie. And not even a very good one. When it isn't being offensive, it's shrill and annoying. Cameron's worst film, and I'm including Piranha II.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
Incredibly cheesy. But I love it anyway. Curtis is surprisingly hot, and Tom Arnold is pretty funny.
Rated 24 Apr 2011
This is amazing... ly bad. It is a meander of random explosions, outrageous fight scenes, horse-whispering, weird plot shifts and Tom Arnold being the biggest asshole ever. However, it is done in this hilarious way that makes this movie a masterpiece of laughs. I don't know if that was intentional, I mean, it is James Cameron produced, but that is certainly the way it comes of. Schwarzenegger has his one-liners, Jamie Lee Curtis strips, a small island is blown up, I don't even know anymore.
Rated 14 Mar 2010
COOL!
Rated 24 Sep 2022
Although there's something very cynical about this kind of blockbuster that's self aware of being a movie, it tempers this by, first, not being boring, and it maintains a cool and casual attitude that's amusing, and otherwise would've sunk this film if it were serious in any way. The plotting is dumb, but satisfying, particular when the action is this outstanding, encapsulating what may've been at around this time the golden era of action set-pieces, minimalising the CGI. RIP James Cameron.
James Cameron and Arnold Schwarzenegger deliver a blantantly racist but funny nonetheless action pic. Also stars Jamie Lee Curtis' droopy tits.
I didn't know what to make of this movie. While it is obviously not 100% serious, I can't take it seriously as an action film. But it is unique and funny, so it's not a total loss. At best, it is a highly entertaining novelty piece.
Rated 05 Jun 2020
arnie good spy film
As painfully bad as any movie prominently featuring Tom Arnold should be.
Really good movie! Funny bits and great action scenes....plus Jaime Lee Curtis does a fantastic strip!
Rated 21 Jul 2014
One of the best Arnold films ever. The complete disconnect of even the slightest possibility of realism is phenomenal. I am unsure whether to describe it as campy or just plain genius in its level of ridiculous. Although I spent more than half the movie laughing at the film; that is a legitimate form of entertainment.
Rated 14 Dec 2011
This movie is dated. Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton give fun performances in the film. Some of the action scenes are a lot of fun. The villains are cliques and not well rounded. Overall I would recommend this movie.
Rated 03 Mar 2018
Alright.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Really bloated and the movie is not nearly as funny as I remembered. There's still some good action at least.
I really like this movie (and not just because I was on the seven miile bridge coming back from Key West when they were filming the scene where they blow it up - got free hot dogs and pepsi and bumper stickers) Once again, Arnold in a comedy - very cool.Tom Arnold is actually funny!?! And then as Nick Fury (sort of) is Charlton Heston - WOW!
Rated 23 Jun 2014
Didn't click with me at all, which is weird because James Cameron Arnie Action Comedy should really do something but I just kinda found it boring? Couldn't really keep my eyes on the screen to be honest. As much as Cameron definitely needs a slight sense of humor for his best films to work, I think he should maybe stick to not being overt with it, this was just kinda... too much. Ugh.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Funny as can be. Arnold and Curtis do a bang-up job. A great send up of all spy movies. If you like Bond, Bourne, etc, you'll love this.
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Among the more entertaining Arnold flicks.
Rated 01 Sep 2007
I would rate it higher except that the ending was overdone by 5X. It's more aof a comedy/farce than antything else.
Rated 23 Jan 2011
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Either a romantic comedy with violent sequences or a Bond-like thriller that ignores the rule that women shouldn't get in the way of action; either way, it long overstays its welcom, though the destruction is on an extremely lavish scale.
Rated 18 Nov 2007
Arnold Carries the day but his two co-stars definitely do not. It looks like all 3 of them had fun making the film, but the tongue-in-cheek attitude comes across as if we're interfering with their good time by asking them to get on with making a film. (See also "Ocean's 11")
Rated 18 Nov 2007
Very entertaining action humor. This kind of over the top, self-deprecation like, Arnold should have done more.
Rated 04 Dec 2007
Too many people didnt realize this was a comedy, somewhat like Last action Hero.
Rated 27 Jun 2010
Really fun and intelligent, but it's no Die Hard. The first act is a great buddy cop action spy parody, but when Tom goes away during the second act it falls flat. In the third act, the film turns into the very kind of movie it set out to parody, but it's excusable for one of the best action movie bad guy kills in cinema history.
Rated 08 Apr 2009
Pretty cool idea for a movie and it can get pretty funny, but when it boils down to it, True Lies is just a cheesy action movie with a big budget. Its also kinda long and it seems kinda pointless to rescue both the son and the daughter, but oh well, it works.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
Smart for its time, but nothing to write home about.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
Third, only to T2 and Predator on my list of favorite Arnold movies...no shame in that.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
I'll tell you a true lie.
Rated 22 Feb 2008
I think JLC had something to do with the extra 5 points I gave this. One of Arnolds better movies.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
Fun action flick that doesn't take itselt too seriously. It starts great (especially the horse!) but drags badly in the middle and end. Gotta love how pretty much everything bursts into flames. Arnold has a couple of solid one-liners as well. Kissing while a nuclear bomb explodes in the background... would have been a fitting end to to this over-the-top Arnold actioner. Too bad they had to tack on another fifteen minutes which was really unnecessary.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold...do I even need to explain?
Rated 13 Apr 2008
I liked this one more than I expected to. But there are some off-notes about it. It's pretty unbelievable, after all... But then, it is an Arnold flick...
Rated 09 May 2008
I can't imagine how anyone could not enjoy this.
Rated 26 May 2008
This can't be compared to an Akira Kurosawa or Stanley Kubrick movie, but what remains -an semi-predictable early nineties action movie with comedic elements- it can be enjoyed. I found the action quite good, even if the characters seem a bit flat and some of the jokes predictable. Arnold seems to know well how to portray a sympathetic action hero.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Really fun action movie. One of the few movies my family really agreed on.
Rated 08 Jul 2008
Hell YES! Possibly the best Schwartzenegger film ever produced! Also, Tom Arnold actually plays a likeable character...
Rated 19 Jul 2008
OK for an action movie.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
seen it in theaters i was like 8..his daughter in that movie was HOT
Rated 09 Apr 2018
One of the most underrated action movies of all time.
Rated 13 Oct 2009
The ultimate Schwarzenegger-bonanza, managing to be tongue-in-cheek while still being a proper good action movie.
Rated 30 Dec 2012
69.00.
Rated 11 Oct 2009
very goo romantic commendy with action/adventure rolled in. Arnold and Jamie are just excellent as Boris and Doris ;-))
Rated 25 Sep 2008
Arnie CAN do comedy, when surrounded by a whole stack of better comics