Valkyrie

Valkyrie

2008

Rated 27 Dec 2008
For such an intriguing story, Singer does a terrible job of keeping you intrigued. The story is fantastic, I mean, a plot to kill Hitler, and all based on truth, now thats a story. But i found this movie to be extremely sloppy and it tried way too hard to be epic. Stick to films like Downfall.
Rated 14 Mar 2011
A full british cast (and TC) could seem quite off since this is about, doh, germans, but the fact that not even one is given a cheesy german accent makes it work. What is truly great about this film is that Singer has made it very suspensefull even though you from the very beginning know how its gonna end...
Rated 09 Feb 2009
The ending - and second half as a whole - may be more dramatic, but for me the first half (following the stumbling intro) with the build up, recruiting and planning really makes the movie. The first meeting between Stauffenberg and Hitler is indeed the best scene of the movie. After that things play out quite predictably. Still: Nice pacing, high patos and generally well-acted (even though, as many states, it obviously rings false that everybody are Hollywood A- or B-listers...). But not bad.
Rated 08 Jul 2009
Flat out I'll say that accents have never bothered me. I would much rather see an actor speak with his native accent rather than try a poor and grinding irritation. With that said none of the acting choices bothered me at all and I'd go so far as to say that I they were very good. Tom Cruise, whom I have never really had an affinity for to be honest, does admirably well in the lead. The true accomplishment of Valkyrie is making an intense thriller when you still know the outcome.
Rated 29 Dec 2008
"Valkyrie" is about as interesting a movie as I could have guessed given all the bad buzz around it. Don't listen to it. No, Cruise and cast do not bother with German accents, but beyond that, Bryan Singer (X-Men) and team bring to light a suspenseful, interesting story. It's not Oscar bait, and it's not brilliant, but it's a satisfying time at the movies with a few scenes sure to make some sweaty palms.
Rated 08 May 2009
As a praise for this film I am admitting that it was suspenseful even when the outcome was clear right from the beginning. Last act wasn't that interesting. Who wants to see antagonist losing when the victory was so near. Interesting cast and clever directing makes this film an entertaining nailbiter.
Rated 11 Apr 2019
The most noticeable things about Valkyrie are the wild tonal shifts between being mind-numbingly dry and theatrically exuberant. Otherwise, it's not a terrible film. Mostly well-cast, John Ottman's score was rather engaging, and it was overall an intriguing retelling of a historic event in WWII.
Rated 12 May 2010
Okay Movie
Rated 22 Jan 2009
Obviously, anyone and everyone who goes to see this film knows that the plot of this movie is doomed to fail. However, the journey of these characters to accomplish their mission is a great story that deserved to be told. Overall, I feel as though this film will always be underrated because everyone is in the mood to underestimate Tom Cruise.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
spoiler: they did not kill hitler
Rated 29 Dec 2008
After being thoroughly nonplussed by Singer's X-Men and Superman flicks, I had pretty low expectations for this. Yes it's weird that the accents are all over the place and they're speaking English, but once you get over that hump it's a fun ride. It's amazing how Singer and co managed to hold the suspense, considering that we know... yeah... Hitler wasn't assassinated. Tom Cruise ain't too bad in this and the supporting cast is very strong. Worth a watch.
Rated 14 Jun 2009
Maybe it's because, ultimately, I knew the outcome that I just couldn't bring myself to care about the struggle of the characters/people in this story. It's an ok movie at best but there were a lot of pieces there to make it better.
Rated 21 Jul 2010
Tom Cruise playing dress up as a nazi barely distracts from how terrible the acting is overall (you just can't overcome the limitations of playing a nazi who speaks British, it can't be done). Also, how do you make a plot to kill Hitler boring? Ask Singer, he'll tell you.
Rated 06 Jan 2009
Some write Singer off, but the man has a distinct style and talent, and Valkyrie doesn't disappoint in delivering both. I see criticism such as "sloppy". This is perplexing, as I found the film to be construed quite competently. As the for the accents, well, gentlemen, I seem to recall an excellent film by the name of Paths of Glory which showcased the same thing. It's not a flaw for a film to abandon accents. If we really wanted realism they'd be speaking fluent German. Excellent film.
Rated 20 Jan 2010
As much as I like Bryan Singer and as much as I am intrigued by the real life story behind the attempted assassination of Adolf Hitler this movie was preposterous with Tom Cruise in the lead role. It's especially bad when you consider how many excellent German actors there are out there who could have been used in the starring role. Just watch Downfall if you want a good idea of what this film should have been.
Rated 09 Jan 2009
Interesting, but not exciting. The plot is great (watching an attempted coup d'état in action is interesting, especially one that really happened), but the execution is somewhat lacking. The accent issue does kind of trip you up, but it's not that big of an issue. The scene where von Stauffenberg meets Hitler for the first time is the best, very suspenseful.
Rated 06 Jan 2009
It's an interesting story and respectably well made, but for some reason the fourth wall just never really came up for me. It's not even Tom Cruise's fault; even in scenes without him I was always intensely aware I was watching a period movie filmed in the 21st century. Not sure why. Something about Hitler speaking English just sets off all kinds of bizarreness-alarms in my head.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
I was expecting a sub-par mindless popcorn flick about Nazis, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was also expecting a problem with the film by knowing how the entire scheme would end, but I found myself on the edge of my seat for different reasons, saying "oh my God, they got close. Oh my God, they got REALLY close. Oh my God, I had no idea they were this close." The movie is expertly executed, and a surprising find that people have kind of brushed to the side.
Rated 13 May 2009
It's an interesting history lesson and a fairly entertaining movie. Singer compiles some nice looking shots but fails to build enough tension to keep it constantly interesting.
Rated 13 Mar 2011
Descent and meaning that it was much better than I expected. I felt a huge sigh of relief, when Cruise opened his mouth and a funny German accent didn't escape his lips - that would have been unbearable.
Rated 20 Apr 2009
The story based on real facts is interesting, but some aspects hinder. We know the end and it impairs your suspense. And the Germans talking in the language of the enemy (English), is also strange. But still, the film is well done.
Rated 14 Nov 2010
very cool, really interesting movie, actually learned a bit
Rated 05 Jun 2012
Interesting take on WWII, but unfortunately, the story isn't that good.
Rated 21 Aug 2012
I was okay, but with any film involving Hitler, you pretty much know how its going to end.
Rated 30 Jan 2014
Great cast brings out the tension and emotion in what would otherwise be another plain "you know what happens" thriller.
Rated 31 Dec 2023
No matter how good the supporting cast is, Tom Cruise is not even his stiff self but bland and boring (even with an eye patch!).
Rated 01 Apr 2009
I enjoyed it even though Tom was a bit dry.
Rated 23 Aug 2010
Tom Cruise assassinated this movie. Had this movie focused on any of the other characters or just had someone else cast as Stauffenberg, this could have easily been an excellent movie. But he killed it.
Rated 11 Oct 2013
A solid and suspenseful film with Nazis. Nazis are always interesting. Film will mostly keep you entertained, though it will soon be largely forgotten.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Better than I thought it would be although I must admit that I'm not that familiar with the actual events.
Rated 07 Dec 2010
eng; [Operation Walküre - Das Stauffenberg Attentat]; stauffenberg organisiert das attentat auf hitler;
Rated 21 Jan 2019
An average war film. Tom is ok.
Rated 04 Apr 2009
Well made & entertaining but do we really have to watch Tom being the most heroic gay of WW2 most of the time ?
Rated 19 Nov 2014
The DVD cover design is the most interesting bit. Tom Cruise's hair is the next most interesting bit. The rest has it's moments -- how close it came, hinged on the decisions of two bit-part characters. Overall, solid storytelling but no depth.
Rated 23 Sep 2018
A decent war drama. It's largely unspectacular. Tom Cruise is okay. I'm struggling to say anything to it's favor or against it.
Rated 22 Sep 2014
While a good show from Tom Cruise it by the book thriller that doesn't get elevated past unremarkable by the subject matter or the directing. It's telling that one of the most interesting scenes is the opening where you get to know Stauffenberg, before getting into the conspiracy.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Its feels rather clumsy at times, and some the casting is at best dubious. That said this is still a really good ride. Despite the obvious ending, it's engaging and at times quite thrilling, because Singer explains the plot so well, that finding out why it failed is just as facsinating (and I don't consider that a spoiler considering we all know what happened, I hope?!). A well told story about a few brave men.
Rated 18 Sep 2011
Not the greatest movie ever and definitely very Hollywood but it was suspenseful enough (even knowing how it turns out) that is was a fun watch.
Rated 05 Jul 2014
Valkyrie is good, if not great: It's relatively faithful to the historical text, and it clips along at a nice pace. Moreover, it steers clear of gratuitous sex, gore and even (for the most part) foul language. There's less violence in Valkyrie than you'll find in any modern war movie, and even most of the classic ones from the 1960s and '70s. It has heroes , a horrific villain and a fine message: We must stand up for what's right, regardless the cost or chance of victory. (pluggedin.com)
Rated 15 Dec 2008
The only thing noteworthy about this unmemorable romp is the British superstar supporting cast.
Rated 24 May 2019
Fılmı yıllar once,tom cruise üstadın seyir zevki yüksek etkileyici filmlerinden biri olduğunu düşünerek açtım,Izledıkten SONRA SADECE ETKILEYICI DEGIL MUHTESEM VE UNUTULMAZ OLDUGUNA KARAR VERDIM. YASANMIS BIR OLAY BU KADAR SURUKLEYICI BIR ANLATIMLA VE SEYREDERKEN INSANI SIKMADAN HERALDE ANLATILAMAZDI. SENARYO,OYUNCULAR,ANLATIMI VE AKISI VE O TOM CRUSE OYUNCULUGU MUHTESEMDI. BIRKAC KEZ ARD ARDA IZLEDIM VE IZLERKEN KENDIMI O FILMI YASIYORMUS GIBI HISSETTIM.INANILMAZ...
Rated 13 Mar 2009
Too many small issues (like the accents) made this movie less enjoyable. Loved Hitler though, as bad as that sounds.
Rated 14 Aug 2009
Not sure how to rate this. I liked it...I think. Kinda slow but still interesting. And just like every Tom Cruise movie there's an element of...well, Tom Cruise. Still the direction and screenplay were spot on. Overall, a fun way to spend a Nazi-hatin' evening.
Rated 07 May 2014
I'm sure there is an alternate cut just for tom cruise in which he actually kills hitler, saves 12 puppies from drowning and ends world hunger. No wait, that's mission impossible 3.
Rated 20 Oct 2011
It's been said that it can be boring because it's build like an adventure movie but you already know the end [ it fails, doh ] but the dialogue and the development it's captivating and the fact that is a true story makes it all better. Tom Cruise is very good too.
Rated 19 Feb 2009
Singer is a master of suspense in this film. Certain scenes - bombing Hitler's meeting, the attempted coup - are masterfully done. And despite what I know of history (um, they lost) while watching it hardly seemed to matter: I was always wondering why they failed. Cruise, unfortunately, is not as captivating as the amazing supporting cast/character actors that upstage him at every turn. Overall enjoyable, but probably not rewatchable.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
Against expectations really nice and the tense is high throughout the whole movie. The English speaking Nazis are really bothering though. And a scientologist to be a nazi? That's some good typecasting
Rated 06 Dec 2016
Intense thriller with superb acting, tom cruise shines all the way!
Rated 04 Jul 2009
I admit I only saw a couple of different parts of this but it was all so blatantly terrible that I don't feel guilty rating this.
Rated 19 Jan 2009
It's solid the whole way through and Cruise gives a good performance, not that that's a surprise. There isn't anything that special about it but it's worth a watch.
Rated 16 Jul 2009
very good show, based on a true story so informative too
Rated 18 Jul 2011
Given the subject matter, Valkyrie could have been an outstanding historical thriller, but settles for being a mildly entertaining, but disposable yarn.
Rated 13 Aug 2010
All the characters speak English, some with accents, and they can all read German.
Rated 27 Dec 2008
Bleh
Rated 02 Jun 2013
Well acted, well directed and extremely well paced. Singer made a good choice by choosing for a well balanced mix of action and dialogue. This way we get a good and solid story which is entertainingly brought and never loses pace.
Rated 08 Jan 2011
Bryan Singer wasn't the right man to conduct such a story: Valkirie is an action film based on true facts, and one very uninspired, lazy and unexceptional, despite some exciting and tense moments.
Rated 07 Jun 2009
We already know he fails...but oh well.
Rated 19 Dec 2011
Although the ending of this movie is no surprise I still enjoyed the ride. The script manages to keep things interesting for the entire film.
Rated 17 Jan 2012
Valkyrie is sometimes thrilling, but it lacks the characters to make it stand out. It's a movie where people plan an assassination, and then execute the plan and watch the fallout occur. It's not particularly interesting, the performances were bland, and I can't say I had fun while watching it. This isn't an alternate universe that has a different ending to World War II, so if you know anything about that, you'll know how well their plan goes.
Rated 01 Mar 2009
Another hit for Singer. Well paced, well acted and suspenseful although you already know how it ends.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
I think every American my age has seen _Top Gun_. As a result of that movie's massive success, Cruise has long been one of the poster boys of Reagan-era U.S. militarism. As such, I accepted him as an officer in the Wehrmacht surprisingly readily. Singer keeps it all at the right pace, and the writers throw in enough humor and irony to keep it from wearing you out. In short, this movie is no masterpiece, but considerably better than the "Tom Cruise is nuts" crowd has been saying for months
Rated 11 Nov 2012
A surprisingly sombre tribute to German resistance with decent direction.
Rated 06 May 2013
Powerful stuff. A little hard to see past the actors to the characters sometimes, but moving and effective nevertheless.
Rated 17 Sep 2016
Stick to "Downfall" if you want an authentic story - this is the Hollywood version. *Recommendable, based alone on the value of entertainment (not fact)
Rated 05 Jun 2009
A dry film with a handful of dry, static characters. What happened to Singer?
Rated 31 May 2009
I never thought I'd like this movie, but when you sit there hoping they will succeed, you know something is right(or wrong). I mean...I know they didn't....
Rated 16 Jun 2009
Cruise is great as always and seeing Hitler in color is kind of frightening, even though he is kept out of the spotlight. I thought they did a pretty good job of keeping the intricate coup understandable to the casual viewer.
Rated 09 Feb 2010
I enjoyed the eyepatch and the attempt to kill Hitler.
Rated 06 Nov 2010
I have a soft spot for Tom Cruise but this seems more like a generic Hollywood star vehicle than a believable historic drama. The German version from 2004 with Sebastian Koch in the lead is considerably better.
Rated 19 Apr 2011
Really dull
Rated 06 Jun 2013
Rated 05 Jun 2014
Entertainment: 3.5. Spirituality: 1.5. Sustainability: 1.
Rated 29 Apr 2009
a real disappointment for bryan singer.
Rated 22 Mar 2014
Surprisingly suspenseful for a film which I already knew the outcome of. I was glued to the screen for the first hour or so. Pretty good.
Rated 09 May 2009
Not bad, even though a bit overwrought at time. Still, it documents an important event of WW2 and does so well enough to make its mark.
Rated 13 Jun 2009
What made the movie for me was the end bit with the, "Oh, you're going to kill my friend? Me first." It's sentimental, but *shrug*
Rated 18 Aug 2012
absolutely tremendous and great performance , If General Olbricht had initiated Valkyrie immediately this coup would have succeeded.
Rated 24 Dec 2010
Not only is Singer's filmmaking aesthetically frustrating (lacking coherent visual rhythm) but his juvenile regard of the July 20, 1944, plot to kill Hitler -- one of 15 documented attempts -- is intellectually insulting.
Rated 03 Oct 2013
Rated 30 Jul 2023
Acting - 17/25 Pace - 15/25 Direction - 14/25 Plot - 17/25
Rated 19 May 2009
Tom Cruise plays the gentle Nazi in Valkyrie (2008). It's a movie about an assassination attempt on Hitler, and, yeah, the fact that you know they are going to fail makes it less suspenseful. Still pretty good. Cruise was good. Kenneth Branagh was awesome even though he disappeared for the last 75 minutes of the movie until the very end. I was told that people were annoyed by the fact that they nobody spoke with German accents, but that's fucking dumb.
Rated 15 Feb 2009
Good acting, but it has too many shortcomings to be a good war film: better portrayals of other coup members whose roles are close to being extras, fewer simplifications reducing credibility of some situations and definitely some gradation of tension: it has more of a feeling of a reconstruction then a suspense film. Last but not least, where's the 'Ride of the Valkyries'? Choosing it instead of this forgettable soundtrack as the lejtmotif for the film could help it make a lasting impression.
Rated 05 Jul 2009
Based on a serious and I'm sure dramatic true story, the film places that square peg into the round hole of a contemporary action/adventure, which in turn removes the weight that should accompany this subject. Here's another in Cruise's line-up of disfigured or physically awkward characters, but Cruise as hero hasn't worked well for me since the early 90's. The movie is fun as an adventure if you can remove it from the historical context, but that's probably not what the makers want you to do.
Rated 21 Jan 2009
10 to 15 years ago this film would have been received much more anticipation. The biggest problem is Tom Cruise, not because he's acting bad, just because he's Tom Cruise. Other than that, Valkyrie is a well crafted, affective piece.
Rated 11 Feb 2012
There's something I'm feeling about Bryan Singer movies lately...they're filmed and written well, but they take no chances and leave very little impression when over (see: Superman Returns). Valkyrie falls into this trend, with Tom Cruise playing a Nazi colonel trying to assassinate Hitler. His acting is fine, but casting an unknown (or less known) would have made for a more convincing character. The film also could benefit from being more explicit about showing the Nazis' effect on Germany.
Rated 22 Oct 2014
Tom Cruise is almost unrecognizable in this--so that's awesome. I enjoyed the cinematography, but knowing the ending before you even walk into the theater makes its impact immediately diminish.
Rated 06 Jun 2012
Rated 15 Mar 2009
I think Eddie Izzard enjoyed playing a Nazi a little too much.
Rated 10 Sep 2011
Quite similar to what history confirms occurred. Much of the acting is unremarkable however, and I feel the failure to keep the dialog in german is a negative though understand the director's decision. Worth a watch but not as interesting as conspiracy.
Rated 21 Apr 2009
As a movie the story was draggy and uninteresting. The explosion and soon after that Singer manage to build some kind of tension, but that's it. Tom Cruise makes exceptionally bad part. Extra points for trying to build the plot as autenthic as possible.
Rated 24 Jul 2009
Go Carice!!! Pretty good movie.. but could have been better. Great acting.
Rated 18 May 2009
Not bad. The director is a pedophile, totally unacceptable.
Rated 14 May 2012
A twisted version of history, which tries to portrait Stauffenberg as a hero.
Rated 28 May 2009
The movie would have done better if it had better direction and acting. It is one time watch movie. Ignoring the historical inaccuracies the movie would have done better without the non-German actors. You cant take them seriously considering the fact that they are non-German. The movie was is let down without the ability to keep you gripped during the entire movie, this is required especially in a movie where the end is known. A few extra points for the cinematography.
Rated 15 Nov 2010
The movie is a pure quality but it's always annoying to see movie where nazis speak English instead German. Even though that doesn' ruin this movie.
Rated 16 Aug 2011
"Valkyrie" has an interesting subject (a failed attempt at killing Hitler) but Tom Cruise being the protagonist should make you suspicious that this isn't exactly a credible drama. Instead, what Singer has tried to make is a relatively lightweight and easily digestible thriller -and although the film is well-crafted and the suspense quite high in some scenes, Cruise's uncharismatic performance as well as the foregone outcome of the operation severely confine its overall impact.
Rated 25 Sep 2009
That's a good movie. Most of the actors are british and imo this gives the movie a certain quality. I'm curious what would happen if it wasn't starred by Tom Cruise. He's not showing off, all right, but I think that his character is a little bit underlined.
Rated 16 Jul 2010
Probably the biggest mistake Bryan Singer made in directing Valkyrie was to make it a thriller. Considering we know Hitler doesn't die at the end (SPOILER ALERT) it's hard to create tension in this story. It's still a competently made thriller, and Tom Cruise gives an adequate if disappointingly straightforward portrayal of a man more interesting than he appears here. It's well-made but far too generic to be of any lasting impact.
Rated 30 Nov 2012
Once Singer dispenses with the introductory pathos and gets to the nuts and bolts of Stauffenberg's plan, Valkyrie becomes an admirably modest and compact suspense thriller.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
I thought the trailers and commercials made it look bad but I was shocked at how good it was. A very entertaining and well made picture. Grade: B Plus