Virtuosity

Virtuosity

1995
Sci-fi

Rated 13 Apr 2008
Screw the haters this movie was tons of fun. It's got a great soundtrack and Russell Crowe is very impressive as a completely insane and evil baddie. I'll never forget how cool he looked in his purple suit. It's a sci-fi action film that requires you let go of science to enjoy it. If you can do this then give it a whirl.
Rated 30 Jul 2018
Not so good
Rated 26 Oct 2013
I wouldn't rank it as a classic, but Virtuosity has that cartoonish lack of realism that made so many stupid 90s action films so endearing.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
Really crappy 90's CGI splurge material but Crowe is great. "How's the wife and kid? Still dead, huh?"
Rated 01 Mar 2015
gn-ahh-haaaar!
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Even Washington can't save this one. Muddled script with a few fun moments but not much else.
Rated 17 Apr 2018
Russell Crowe eats all the scenery. Like, all of it. Denzel is good as always, but man, my man Russell is killing it. No pun intended.
Rated 08 Jan 2023
There is a certain campiness to it, but it's impossible to not enjoy watching Washington, who lends credibility to anything he does. And seriousness, in this case. But Crowe is the more interesting character because he's ridiculous. Crowe must have had so much fun playing this. The premise is let down a little bit by too many chase scenes, but I also appreciate the energy of it all.
Rated 19 Jun 2009
Funny, in all the wrong ways.
Rated 18 Mar 2009
Russell Crowe is great, and so is Denzel...but come on. There isn't much to say aside from "these guys are in this film."
Rated 03 Aug 2019
Bunch of good actors in a rather far fetched sci-fi/thriller. Form what I remember it was decent enough, I think it would need a rewatch to truly rate properly.
Rated 09 Sep 2007
This is stupid fun, as if the filmmakers somehow bought a cheesy 'Terminator 2' clone of a script and managed to rope in Denzel and then-unknown Russell Crowe.
Rated 02 Nov 2008
I was hoping for some lawnmower man-style CGI stupidity and didn't get enough to make it enjoyable. Didn't get much of anything to make it enjoyable really.
Rated 29 Mar 2007
Good ideas fucked up horribly
Rated 25 Apr 2008
Truly a terrible movie, but the soundtrack was really good at the time. I still think it's fun, largely thanks to the gung-ho performances of the two leads.
Rated 04 Sep 2007
ok
Rated 23 Jan 2021
Awful sadistic garbage. A failure in storytelling, in tone, in style, in editing, in world-building, etc... And worst of all, Denzel Washington's outstanding performance sucks out whatever fun could have been had with this thing. He's so damn serious. Where's JCVD when you need him?
Rated 04 Nov 2016
Rated 02 Nov 2010
I liked the opening credits and the visual style of the opening scene, which takes place in a virtual world, so I kept watching. But I was disappointed. The science in the movie was nonsense, I wouldn't have minded this but the movie also had the most predictable plot I have ever seen. Denzel and Russell (with his over-the-top performance) gained my respect by being so good in a movie this bad. It's bad, but good for when you're actually in the mood for something trashy. It's a good bad movie.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
A sci-fi variation of the thriller _Copycat_, this is slick but oh-so-pat and obvious with its routine plot (and annoying mugging from Crowe), somewhat redeemed by fancy direction and good work from Denzel.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
Russell "fighting around the world" Crowe is awesome here and easily steals the show, despite tracey Lords miming to her single
Rated 16 Mar 2013
The tagline of this movie is: Justice Needs a New Program. Nothing I could say should convince you to avoid this more than that does.
Rated 07 Apr 2014
1990s. This is what Hollywood shat out when introduced to the idea of cyberpunk. It's hopelessly terrible, little more than a string of chase sequences. Much like how Will Smith makes sci-fi movies these days. 2014, nobody is watching this shit except to see a young Russell Crowe chew scenery as the cybervillain. Which he does with aplomb.
Rated 01 Feb 2008
Stupid, insulting to your inteligence... fail in so much ways...
Rated 31 Mar 2015
Largely standard cyberpunk bullshit that, apart from Crowe's and Denzel's performances, falls flat, though certainly not from lack of trying. The frequent CGI effects are trippy and showy but well-integrated, especially for the time, and even tasteful. Considerable camp value.
Rated 05 Aug 2012
Sometimes we find movies are able to rise above truly absurd stories and transform movies that had no business being watchable into something enjoyable. This is what we find with Virtuosity. Virtuosity has a story with is barely bothers to try to hold together, but yields memorable performances by all the major leads. The pacing is at least fast enough that its possible that some unsuspecting viewers might not notice some of the absurdities presented.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Not bad.
It has moments of being fun, but the real story is simply Russell Crowe's introduction to the American audience. Otherwise, it could be forgotten.
Rated 23 Sep 2012
goofy and fun
Rated 10 Jul 2011
Utter nonsense and hopelessly dated.
Rated 07 Aug 2008
points for nostalgia only, otherwise probably score in the 30s.