2005
A hilarious comedy about frustrated waiters, stingy tippers and dicey food this film focuses on a group of young employees battling boredom at Shenanigan's, a generic chain restaurant.

2005

Rated 21 Jul 2007
I hate Ryan Reynolds. HAAAAAAAATE. I hate that smug "I'm so clever!" facial twitch he has after he says anything barely clever or amusing. I hate how he's always typecast as the "smart, sarcastic" guy in dumb movies. This film could've been an entertaining satire of the restaurant industry, but it was made by drooling idiots.
I can sympathize occasionally, having worked in a restaurant. Some of its satire is real swell, but it's kind of nullifed by the obnoxious vulgarity throughout.
Rated 12 Apr 2008
Funny as hell. "Oh yes-ah Massa there gon' be no bacon on the salad."
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Laugh-free territory; gross doesn't always mean funny, especially when the movie lacks any satisfying characters.
You'll get it if you ever worked in a restaurant. I adore Dane Cook and Ryan Reynolds.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
"You have to be a server to find this movie funny!" No, you have to be a moron.
Rated 09 Jun 2020
Watching this unfunny comedy I kept waiting... for it to end.
Rated 16 May 2019
Nothing would beat when my uncle would come up behind me for years after this movie came out and quote the Forrest Gump reference. Then he broke up with my aunt and comedy isn't very good now. Maybe it never was those two things aren't related but the mid aughts bring me great joy.
Rated 02 Feb 2009
Hey - I did work in the food service in high school and this movie played out just like a week at our restaraunt. I highly doubt everyone's experience was the same as mine, but that doesn't mean this isn't a highly representative example of how fucked adolescents/ex-cons can be if given an inkling of power. A group of us from work all went to see it at the theatre and left saying - "Alright, so its not just us, huh?" Tagline says it all: Never fuck with the people that serve you food!
Rated 23 Jun 2009
This movie is directly responsible for every set of balls that has been flashed at me.
Rated 21 Jul 2009
I'm a sucker for Ryan Reynolds, so I enjoyed myself.
Rated 14 Nov 2010
Thanks to this movie for about a year most of my male friends thought it was funny to show me their balls.
Rated 26 Nov 2006
Awkwardly tries to replicate the teen-slacker comedies of old with only 'so-so' results.
Really stupid and uneven comedy. It does have it's moments, and maybe if you relate to it in some way it's more enjoyable, but to me it was mediocre.
Rated 27 Dec 2006
The trailor had me wanting to see this movie because it seemed to reflect my experience working at Outback. Sadly, the movie is a pile of poo that isn't funny. A guy leaves a $100 tip and you aren't sure if he's being nice or a dick, and there's a huge beaver shot at the end.
Rated 10 Jan 2007
Really shitty. Dane Cook is such a douche bag along with the rest of the cast. Beware anyone that says "but, I worked in food service and...and it's just like that!!" No it isn't you cunts.
Rated 19 Feb 2007
Very funny, especially if you have experience working in a restaurant. Long-winded monologues make it noticeably unrealistic, but it's still a laugh out loud funny film, especially for the 18-24 year old audience which it seems to be aimed at. Really good!
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Above average comedy.
Rated 03 Feb 2024
Beautiful depiction of hospo. At times I wondered if work was in my tv. Would rewatch in a couple years.
Rated 30 Apr 2007
It's "Empire Records" but not quite as good and with more gross stuff done to food.
Rated 14 May 2007
Pretty funny even if you have never waited on tables. But I guarantee if you have you can associate someone you know with every single person in the film...although I have never shown anyone "The Brain".
Rated 26 May 2007
So, so true.
Rated 29 May 2007
OMG, it's like working in a restaurant. Did I say restaurant? I meant dick joke. It's like working in a dick joke.
I've had premature ejeaculations that were more entertaining.
Rated 23 Feb 2024
Waiting...has such a recognisable cast doing a TV quality film that is so entrenched in the mid 00's. Fortunately that's part of its charm. McKittrick's screenplay and direction is a little frantic and unfocused, but this is balanced against the numerous characters who are all a little one-note. Daley's outburst near the end of the film is definitely the highlight, but Long, McBride and Ubach have their moments too. Largely crude, moderately amusing, with a little bit of heart.
Rated 11 Oct 2013
The cast is pretty good, particularly Ryan Reynolds whose comedy I have a soft spot for. Mediocre film.
Vulgar at times, but hillarious nonetheless. It's for an older American Pie style crowd.
A few isolated laughs and novel concepts, but it lacks the punch of other niche comedies of its ilk. Clerks this movie is not. All of the actors involved did give it their all, but the story itself is thin, trite, and uncaptivating.
A complete rip-off of clerks.
Immature, but that's the point. Time well spent and everything, and a very taut script. Not very original, though
Rated 16 Jul 2021
sneakshowcock/ballsgamelool+lmaodinnerdissinwithmom-pullout/anal-ifonlyi'dbeensolucky+fuckupbitchfoodlol+schizopeefear:P+annabodiesbouthowtheyusedtobanglol+herbushlmao+lmaofreakwhenmorecustomers+you'reallfuckedintheheadlmao-showsgoatlol+okayhorriblerap/videolol
Rated 22 Jan 2014
Waiting... is a gross-out comedy that is more gross than comic.
Anyone in the food industry will like this film. Most of the events happen in all restaurants. Ryan Reynolds facial expressions are comparable to Chevy Chase.
first time i watched this in the theatre i was dissappointed by the hype, thought maybe dane cook had a bigger role, ryan reynolds plays his only character he has ever acted well again. worth seeing twice in a distant time span
More medium range comedy fare. Sort of like eating at Dennys.
I worked at bennigans and it had teh same lay out. Awesome movie. SOO hilarious and i could relate
Perfectly acceptable comedy with a strong supporting cast headed by Luis Guzman and Dane Cook. More accurate than most movies in the job-related genre.
Foul but satisfying comedy. Take my recommendation with a grain of salt - I really love Ryan Reynolds, so it's hard for him to be bad in my eyes.
Rated 21 Feb 2021
the movie the late 30s line cook tells you is so funny and so true. but you watch it and its not funny at all but more importantly not relateable because kitchen culture has (at least somewhat) moved beyond glorifying toxic work culture. and youre glad its not, and that the dinosaurs are slowly dying off. side note, i hate looking at ryan reynolds, and just feel bad for the kid from freeks and geeks.
Rated 23 Jan 2013
For a first-time director, McKittrick has made a pretty slick and insightful comedy about the weird limbo that is the catering business. As someone who worked in TGIF's in the nineties, every bit of this rang true to me.
I laughed pretty hard, despite having never worked as a waiter (but having worked as a hostess). However, Anna Faris does her best to ruin it.
Good cast. Bad Movie.
Eh.
Serves up the kind of tainted meal you'd get when you thoroughly piss off your waiter.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
yeah
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Some funny bits. Makes me wary of restaurants of all kinds. Not enough Anna Faris. Ryan Reynolds is easily the best thing about this movie.
Rated 29 Nov 2020
Consistently funny and weird. The casting and performances are what put this above other mid-tier comedies.
Rated 22 Nov 2012
Some witty back and forth banter.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Dumb.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Perhaps I had to work in the service industry to get the humor...?
Rated 11 Sep 2007
I thought it was funny but not something i would ever watch again. My wife is a waitress and thought it was hilarious. guess there are a few inside jokes.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
barely amusing
Rated 20 Oct 2007
Strange, halve without sense, but even so hilarious.
Rated 05 Dec 2007
null
Rated 02 Nov 2020
There's something charming about this even if its not very good. The jokes for the most part don't land, but yet it's still somehow amusing. I think that's due in part to the likable cast and the strong sense of place the movie has. Despite never working as a waiter I related to Justin Long's character more than I'd like to admit. Also points for that ending monologue. Best part of the movie.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
Funny
Rated 20 Feb 2008
I like the ending of this movie with the new guy getting is revenge.
Rated 22 Feb 2008
An awesome representation of a regular work day at a restraunt. So funny, and a little gross. There's a phenomenal long take in this movie during the dinner rush that I was a huge fan of
Rated 14 Mar 2008
What makes Waiting memorable isn't the cast or the lame attempts at gross out humor, but the honestly stark outlook on the lifestyle that comes with making a career out of waiting tables. Refreshingly, there are no cartoon villains or obvious source of conflict; just the soul crushing grind of day to day life and the immature attempts to make it bearable.
Rated 18 Mar 2008
Feels like Amateur Hour at a comedy club. For a gross-out comedy, it's really a mixed bag, but when it hits, it hits hard. The problem is that first-time writer-director McKittrick doesn't know when to kill a joke when it's run its course. The same tired routines that barely worked the first time keep getting drawn out further and further. There's potential here for a good movie, but it's killed by the script's complete lack of polish. I work in the industry and still didn't like it.
Rated 02 Apr 2008
Really cute teen sex comedy.
Rated 18 Apr 2012
One of those movies that is remembered for a couple minutes of good content, despite it mostly being dull. Also led to an unfortunate excuse for dudes to try and show their balls to their friends.
Rated 09 May 2008
Totally over-the-top and fake but it does have the essence of truth in the "this is how we feel in the service industry" way of things. A lot of it is really stupid dick jokes and I won't say that's it's charm. This movie has no charm, it's rude, crass and really in your face with how rude and crass it is. However this is actually funny unlike other films that attempt similar things (looking at you Epic Movie and almost every other _____ Movie).
Rated 18 May 2008
Idiotic and unoriginal. Terrible cast, too.
Rated 29 May 2008
i actually still play the penis game with my friends, and we have this movie to thank for it, i dont know if thats a good thing.
Rated 01 Jul 2008
I find it hard not to laugh everytime I watch this film. It's not perfect by any means, and some of it is just silly, but it reminds me so much of working at a resturant and hanging with the guys that it will always have a place on my DVD shelf.
Rated 10 Aug 2008
Piss poor
Rated 07 Oct 2008
Do not see this. It's horribly unfunny with a C-list cast.
Rated 06 Feb 2012
Simple but entertaining. Ryan Reynolds is desperately trying to shake this comedy image, but it suits him to a tee. We can't all be James Stewart.
Rated 18 Dec 2008
One of the more brilliant "stupid" comedies of the decade, absolutely hilarious.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
One of the best comedies I've ever seen.
Rated 08 Jan 2009
Terrible. Just fuckin' terrible. I know this shit happens in restaurants, but I don't need to see a movie about it...
Rated 18 Jan 2009
This is a must see if you like going out to eat. It will open your eyes.
Rated 20 Jan 2009
One of the best example of "real people" films like Office Space and Clerks, the people in this one all work in one of those casual restaurants such as Friday's or Applebee's. We all know some "people" like these in this film, and while not all of it is realistic, many similar things will happen to you if you work in the restaurant industry long enough, and that is what makes this so funny. This is also the movie that really propelled Dane Cook and Ryan Reynolds to the next level of celebrity.
Rated 21 Jan 2009
Poor man's Clerks manages to be funny somethimes but most of time it's just bad.
Rated 31 Jan 2012
I was NOT a fan. Crude humor is funny if it's done well, and this wasn't done well. I don't think I laughed once throughout this whole movie. Everyone is mean to each other and unempathetic. Waste of time and a waste of a few solid actors.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
Its all about the game.
Rated 09 Feb 2009
The comedic elements of working in a real restaurant are there but it misses when it relies too heavily on cheap laughes.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Funny...and I am VERY nice to restaurant staff now.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Mildly entertaining on a first watch and when you're 14. Give it another go and you'll hate it.
Rated 20 Apr 2009
Funny at times, but very overrated.
Rated 28 Jul 2018
There are some pretty funny scenes in here, but as a whole picture it is not a must own. Guzman and Reynolds pretty much steal every scene they are in, the rest of the cast is just ok.
Rated 02 Mar 2014
Comedy classic! Not too far from the truth of actual restaurants! Except for the ballsack game, no one does that.
Rated 11 May 2009
Far better than expected. Although I've never waited tables I can definitely relate to the sheer boredom of the job and the lengths the characters go to alleviate it. Dane Cook is actually passable in this.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Restaurant servers will love this wish-fulfillment outing. Has funny moments but is overall not very recommendable.
Rated 27 Jul 2009
Surprisingly good. When it came out in theatres, I groaned and mentally cast it off as another stupid gross-out comedy movie. I ended up seeing it on a bus ride and now it's one of my favorite comedies (and a good comedy movie is hard to come by IMO). Witty, relevant and easy to relate to. This movie really captures the attitudes and personality types of wait staff/restaurant environment.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Awesome.
Rated 15 Oct 2017
Hilarious
Rated 24 Mar 2011
Hit and miss, overall I like it.
Rated 12 Oct 2009
A funny movie, but it sort of just stumbles to the ending.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
The payoff scene at the end is great but you have to sit through the rest of the film to get there.
Rated 12 Feb 2010
Clearly not a good movie. But on the decent side of passable, which is weird since it has justin long, dane cook, and ryan reynolds whom are all cancers on the face of comedy.
Rated 31 Mar 2010
original and some hilarious parts, relatable
Rated 15 Apr 2010
if you ever worked in a restaurant you should watch this movie
Rated 11 Aug 2010
Sporadically hilarious.
Rated 11 May 2014
Bar the very occasional nice observation or quick chuckle (never a belly laugh), this one struggles to justify it's 'comedy' tag, irritating rather than amusing throughout. The one-dimensional characters do manage to grow on you though, and perhaps if you're not too demanding and can stomach this much Ryan Reynolds you might find Waiting passable. Everyone else would be wise to give it a wide berth. Clerks this aint.
Rated 21 Nov 2010
I don't know why this got so many bad reviews. I kinda liked it... even if it was lowbrow.
Rated 26 Nov 2010
Entertaining comedy with a good pace and a cast that does the job better than I expected. Similar to Clerks in some aspects, it is a little more lighthearted but does a better job as a movie. A very good watch. [Direction 9/10] [Screenplay 8/10] [Characters 7/10] [Soundtrack 6/10] [Acting 7/10] [Editing 8/10] [Cinematography 9/10] [Enjoyment 27/30]
Rated 01 Jan 2011
Funny, but awkward. Chi Mcbride and the crazy bitch are hilarious, but the Mac guy is lame to the teeth.
Rated 17 Jan 2011