1987
Action
William Walker and his mercenary corps enter Nicaragua in the middle of the 19th century in order to install a new government by a coup d'etat. All is being financed by an American multimillionaire who has his own interest in this country. (imdb)

1987
Action

Rated 11 Oct 2015
To call this movie a mess is to not understand it. Walker is a mess in the same way American history is a mess. Its march towards lunacy and self-destruction is truthful to the spirit of the story, which repeatedly forces you to wonder, "Wait, this actually happened? Are you fucking serious?" The direction is totally gonzo, with an acid-western bent, a farcical tone, and an insidious political undercurrent. Hollywood won't let a movie like this happen again.
Rated 06 Jul 2017
Subtle it's not, but WALKER is a powerful statement on the peculiar nature of American imperialism, and the destruction it leaves in it wake. Released in the thick of an intense public debate regarding the U.S. role in Nicaragua's devastating civil war, it's easy to see how the film appeared to some as strident propaganda. Today, WALKER can be appropriately recognized as an audacious satire, elevated by director Alex Cox's offbeat vision and ex-Clash frontman Joe Strummer's haunting score.
Rated 16 Aug 2014
Marlee Maitlin steals the pants off this movie in her brief five minutes. A surreal, nightmarish, anarchic rebuttal to "biopics". I have to single out the scene where Peter Boyle is reading the USA Today as one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen in a film. Look at that sentence.
Rated 25 Jan 2012
Cox's historical film tales some anachronistic liberties in all the right ways. He can still make the most macabre of settings seems humurous at times.
Rated 28 Sep 2014
US foreign policy 101. great fun, loved the Holy Grail echoes
Rated 10 Nov 2008
Best use of ananchronisms in a movie ever. Excellent statement on the relationship between USA and Nicaragua. Fun fact: the Sandanista government approved of this film - as do I
Rated 14 Feb 2009
Cool film, despite the weird take on this weird story. Or because of that, I'm not sure.
Rated 02 Jun 2023
False expectations. Was waiting for crazy action with cool aesthetic. Got weird but decent western with a confusing ending
Rated 25 Sep 2022
Choices were made
Rated 07 Aug 2022
More relevant than ever in regards to American imperialism in the region and elsewhere. Ed Harris delivers a fanatical and captivating performance as a man who ends up fatally believing his own legend. The score rules too and I'm not sure why critics hated this movie so much. It's aged fine wine in cinema form.
Rated 19 Feb 2024
Baffling, but magnetic film. What can you expect? Well, just look through all the mini-reviews and count the number of times you read the word 'anachronism' or its derivatives.
Rated 30 Jan 2022
Interesting and quite original film critique of American imperialism perhaps could have pushed the 'craziness' even further into Herzogian style territory, but this is easily Cox's best film, led by a commanding performance by Harris and featuring a rather audacious 'contemporary' ending that reminded this viewer of both Pasolini and Jancso. The violence is also well executed with shades of Peckinpah, and Strummer's score is appropriately colourful and vibrant.
Rated 28 Oct 2019
tam bir underrated
Rated 29 Jun 2008
A compelling and original biopic/character study that gets dragged down by some major flaws. Primarily the kooky self-awareness, especially in the deliberate anachronisms. And the heavy-handedness of its political message is too much to swallow. I was disappointed by Ed Harris. At first he does an excellent job, but at some point it just switches into this blank-eyed madman stare. On the plus side, it IS a unique film, never boring and even has some funny moments. Joe Strummer's score is superb.
Rated 25 May 2014
A mess of ideas that never congealed into something that consistently interested me. This is one of those instances where I like the idea of it more than the execution. That being said, the last 15 minutes or so are fucking golden.
Rated 12 Sep 2012
Zany and fun without getting tiring.
Rated 29 Nov 2014
Ebert seething in rage not a single hooter to be seen. 0 stars
Rated 07 Aug 2008
I expected a serious, historical movie, and instead got a confusing, weird film, which, while watching it, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was playing out the way it was. For a ruler, Walker does make some real stupid decisions and acts weird. And then the anachronisms - yes, I read that they were deliberately placed to send a message - but I couldn't see them that way. For me, it took away from the seriousness of the movie and made it look like a farce.
Rated 11 Jun 2014
Confusing tripe or brilliant absurdism? I have no idea but I didn't like it whatever it was
Rated 13 Jan 2012
Crazy history crazily portrayed. The film's absurdist and allegorical aspects form both its strengths and weaknesses: if there is no good reason that such aesthetic (and political) choices should be more unacceptable in the cinema than they long have been in live theatre, it is perhaps also true that the movie's wit is insufficiently sharp to really make it successful, either as entertainment or as diatribe. Admirably-intentioned and strangely fascinating but also quite messy and a bit laboured.
Rated 25 Jul 2017
Umas da melhores e mais contundentes sátiras políticas que já vi. Se atentem à review de Suture Self.