2005
Sci-fi
A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells's seminal classic, the sci-fi adventure thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family fighting to survive it. (Paramount Pictures)

2005
Sci-fi

Rated 24 Jan 2009
A bit of wood named Tom Cruise fights some aliens or something
Rated 08 Dec 2017
Under Steven Spielberg's tight direcBWWWAAAAAHHHH! I thought the creature design waBWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHH! Honestly, the whole sequence where his daughBWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! I thought that part was genuinely terrifying.
Rated 02 May 2018
Wherein aliens have technology centuries beyond our own, yet somehow completely forget about germs. (Yeah, I know it was in the novel, but it was anticlimactic there, too.) Even putting that aside, the screenplay is too sloppy to amount to much, and the characters are cardboard cutouts. Disappointing.
It's not a completely horrible movie. The effects are good, and the acting isn't as bad as I've heard. The movie has problems (pacing, script, ending, etc.), but it's still a very decent viewing.
null
Eye-popping CGI is no excuse for not bothering to write a decent script.
Rated 06 Nov 2009
This would have been a decent, albeit repetitive, ride if not for the obnoxious kids. When your script consists of a father shouting his kids names ad infinitum, wouldn't that clue you in to this becoming annoying for viewers? At least when Tim Robbins showed up I was able to have a good laugh. He seems stable and trustworthy, right?
There are some really strange and horrific things going on in this movie that bump it up onto the shoulders of a lot of other summer blockbusters and disaster movies. More importantly, there's a good balance between the macro (aliens invading) and the micro (family bonding) that could easily have been forgotten.
Rated 06 Nov 2009
Spielberg's post-9/11 exploit again plays the family-in-crisis card, the external menace being as usual merely the means of overcoming familial problems. Narrative quirks suggest script or editing problems, especially the odd disappearance and reappearance of characters, and the abrupt conclusion. The latter may have been caused by anxiety that Wells's mechanism for defeating the aliens was too well known, the filmmakers not wishing to alter this aspect of the tale, yet unwilling to draw it out.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
I wish Spielberg had another shot at this one. I didn't mind that the setting had changed (although I would have preferred the original) and I didn't mind Tom Cruise or Dakota Fanning. The first three quarters is awesome, the last quarter is terrible. It's not even anything to do with the plot with the aliens, it's just how Spielberg handles the ending that made this movie less enjoyable for me.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Why did everybody nitpick this so friggin' much, anyway? I liked a ton; fantastic spectacle and I thought the human drama was believable and well-handled. Too bad Cruise is off his rocker, because he's pretty goddamn good in front of a camera.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
I could remake a more interesting version of this with stick figures!
A) I hate Tom Cruise. but I try not to let that bother me. I mean, I LOVED minority report so... well anyway. B) This movie had GREAT effects but... C) the acting was subpar and D) The story didn't do enough to prepare the user for the ending. It was too sudden to the movie folk. I read the story long ago, and felt much more satisfied with the ending then. Here, I felt it was shoved on me quickly.
Exciting and thrilling and tense and nearly ruined by a completely awful ending.
Rated 30 Oct 2008
Excellent production design, some great acting and a handful of awe-inspiring action sequences save the film from its Spielbergian feel-good cop-out ending. Robbins shows up halfway through and steals the movie on a performance level, but his presence also slows down the pace a bit too much. What's excellent is the way Spielberg captures the real terror and manic desperation of such a situation -- even at its most ridiculous, the danger still feels palpable. Chatwin should have died.
Rated 13 Nov 2012
Starts off pretty promising, as the initial invasion scenes are really exciting and tense. Then for some reason, the movie decides to spend what felt like 3 hours in Tim Robbins' basement. It totally kills the flow of the movie, and the film never quite recovers from it. Add on to that a generally bland lead performance by Cruise and an thoroughly illogical ending and you end up with a dissapointment.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
If Spielberg hadn't gone for the annoying characters and the cop-out ending, this would have been a great movie. However, it's worth watching for the carnage on display.
Rated 18 Sep 2007
one of the best spilberg's movie, because in this movie shows spielberg not the army tactics he shows a man what he can do for the life of his kids ..............
Rated 31 Mar 2020
robbie why the fuck would you leave your fucking family to go fight the aliens are you fucking stupid
We all know the ending was a bit of a cop-out, but this movie was really exciting to watch, and featured some unbelievable special effects.
Entertaining and full of wonderous special effects. Surprisingly disturbing and violent - could make some uncomofrtable. Many horrible leaps in logic drag it down.
The film is excellent at capturing the horror of a sudden invasion of beings far more ancient, advanced, and ruthless than we are and the terror of humans in apocalyptic panic mode. The precociousness of Fanning wore on me, though, and the ending (not talking about aliens here) aggravatingly negates all the previous, well-done tension.
Rated 27 Sep 2011
what always pissing me off is that even when aliens attack earth, americans achieve to turn it out a family drama
Rated 17 Dec 2006
Tom Cruise running for 90 minutes, yay!
Spielberg is a fantasic filmmaker, with an unequaled eye behind the camera. Unfortunately, in "War of the Worlds", the script is not up to snuff. Considerably more enjoyable than "Day after Tomorrow", but apocolypse is still tough subject matter.
Rated 17 Jan 2007
There's not much to War of the Worlds besides thrills and scares and explosions... the "loser dad" plotline is simply window dressing for the larger spectacle. But it's pretty good spectacle. The film is briskly paced, with the only nagging slowdown occurring when they meet Tim Robbins. Wonderful effects and sound design and staging.
Rated 19 Feb 2007
It made me not care about humanity. The acting is terrible and the script is only part of the reason. I found the casting to be the biggest problem. Yes, I hate Tom Cruise, but even Dakota Fanning, who I usually like, was very annoying as a constantly screaming brat. C'mon Speilberg, you can't trick everyone into liking everything you do just because you've done great things in the past! Total crap!
Rated 01 Jul 2013
War of the Worlds lives and dies by its characters. You're not going to get a poorly made movie from someone like Spielberg at this point in his career, but the screenplay didn't give him a lot to work with in terms of the people we're supposed to care about. It's a valiant attempt, but this is a film that just doesn't work. When you want to see a ten-year-old girl get abducted by the aliens everyone's working hard to run away from, you haven't done a good job.
Rated 15 Mar 2007
This movie is hated for reasons unknown to me. It's a perfect adaptation of Wells' book and the terrifying invasion sequences are the best of its kind. You guys realize Spielberg is at his best when he's directing genre movies on giant budgets, right?
Special Effects save it from absolute failure
Usually you try to make the main characters likeable so that you're not hoping they would all just die.
Rated 15 Oct 2014
War of the Worlds is my least favourite Steven Spielberg film and it feels like a missed opportunity. I enjoyed the capturing of a sudden invasion and the film doesn't try to shoe horn in a backstory or unnecessary explanations. I just wanted and expected so much more. And I think Steven Spielberg is capable of so much more. Tom Cruise isn't an issue, nor is Dakota Fanning. But this film could and should of been epic and I found the overall experience and in particular the finale underwhelming.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Ye Gods, what a lousy movie. Cruise chews up the screen like the incompetent moron that he his, while Spielberg plods, plods, plods by the numbers without even providing much in the way of visual excitement. The characters all behave in completely idiotic ways and do stupid things for no other reason than to set up un-shocking shock scenes. The producers would have been better off adapting the book in period, rather than just updating and remaking Pal's (much superior) film version.
Still undecided- is the 9/11 imagery warranted? Has some of the strongest and weakest sequences of Spielberg's career. Dubious grafting of the source material's ending, but Cruise is in fine form.
This film had way too many plotholes to be taken seriously. The acting and characterization work admirably but the plot simply doesn't hold up to a moment's thought.
Rated 25 Jul 2010
War of the World has style. The thing is the scirpt could have gone better
Rated 10 Jun 2009
I didn't like the ending, the rest was ok to me, although Tom Cruises's performance was right next to horrible IMO.
Rated 15 Sep 2007
This is my least favorite Spielberg film. I just thought it was boring and irritating.
Rated 17 May 2010
Tom Cruise runs. Dakota Fanning yells. Justin Chatwin plays a cliched teenage boy who does the opposite of whatever his dad says. Steven Spielberg adds a lot of effects and gives us a sell-out ending.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning are creepier than any alien.
Riveting and entertaining except for the stretch with Tim Robbins which goes on too long. And the ending is weak.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
A disappointment. Tom Cruise was...uh...oh just awful. I wouldn't watch this movie a second time.
A generic summer blockbuster. It's pretty fun.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
An engaging first act gives way to a whole lot of nothing - mostly angst and screaming, with no real resolution, moral or political. And did Spielberg homage himself (cabin probe = velociraptor)? Can he do that?
Rated 25 Feb 2008
Tom Cruise sucked, Justin Chatwin sucked, Dakota Fanning was screaming all the time and the weirdo charakter Tim Robbins played didnt fit as well, among the worst Spielberg movies ever
Rated 28 Apr 2023
brought to you by the magic of trauma and crisis bonding
Rated 21 Jul 2008
A terrible movie. Tom Cruise is a horrible actor here, along with the rest of the crew. Has some decent special effects and nice CGI, but overall a terrible remake.
Rated 15 May 2009
Deeply underrated, due to different-than-the-original syndrome, and because the movie-going public has fallen out of love with Spielberg since A.I. The effects are fantastic, and the tension throughout the movie is well-handled. A lot of very good cinematography (the rain of clothing? The airplane crash in the middle of a suburban neighborhood?). If the ending wasn't so awful, it might be Spielberg's best.
Mindless
Since it is useless as allegory or narrative, I call it a fever dream, an expulsion of terror through cinema.
Rated 12 Feb 2010
Spielberg falters in what he does best and that is manipulate the audience with his well worn film tropes. The entire film feels emotionally empty with really stupid moments that cater exclusively to the feel good crowd. The CGI would have possibly redeemed the lack of a script if we got more battle scenes.
I really liked it...epic FX and good script, with the exception of the HORRIBLE sugarcoated family reunino thingie in the end...I really dont wknohow could Cruise get the anti-award for this role...hes actually pretty good ! ...damn Spielberg's political correctness, he should have raised more havoc upon the mankind !
I really hated this Tom Cruise close-up, that's all it was actually, a T.Cruise colse up. A regular rape of Welles' story
Look out! its an Alien that kills itself be landing on our planet
Rated 16 Nov 2009
Despite it's many moments of Spielberg brilliance, the story doesn't hold up to closer scrutiny. Machines buried for millions of years, 10 meters beneath the streets of every major city, only for the aliens to be as silly as the ones in Signs?! Still, seen isolated, certain scenes are brilliantly set up. Pure Spielberg masterclass. So if you can handle a silly plot and annoying kids, give it a go.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
Because we didn't really get to know or care about the characters very much, the movie was much less suspenseful and horrible than it ought to have been.
Spielberg adapted the story faithfully. It's just not a story that I care for. Same goes for the ending. It's a little too much deus-ex-machina for my taste.
Rated 30 Aug 2009
Totally underrated sci-fi. Sure, it ain't perfect but I didn't even expect it to be average. Maybe this review is the result of low, low, low expectations but screw it. At least Spielberg (kinda, sorta) returned to his roots.
Intensley enjoyable and could have been great but for the disappointing finale.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Muddy and confused and staggering under the weight of a flimsy script and over-acting.
Rated 24 Apr 2008
Similar plot to original movie but with updated images. I still love the old original version.
Rated 27 May 2023
I never want to see/hear Tom Cruise sing ever again.
Rated 30 Apr 2008
It's not good.
Filled with some truly terrifying visuals and a few great performances, War of the Worlds delivers some fantastic moments, even though it loses its footing at the end.
besides really good visual effects.. it SUCKED!!!
You're going to see this for the special effects, right? Ok, good, since it has little to offer beyond that.
Oh my god... just when it was getting good, grenades start blowing sh*t up, Tom Cruise is getting all bad-ass... along comes the 2nd worst ending possible, next only to "And then he woke up and it was all a dream". If this had a different ending, it would have been pretty darned good.
Rated 27 Nov 2006
Tom Cruise = Overrated.
Rated 10 Feb 2008
This film did a wonderful job of documenting a families struggle to survive in a situation that merits no script. If only Tom Cruise was not the main character.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Crap
Spielberg is bad in happy endings. I mean, he is good in them, and _this_ is bad. Besides it, the minor (or even hidden) plotlines about father-son relationship in his films start being unbearable. Steve, I didn't kill your dad, I even don't know who he was, and I definitely don't want to! And Cruise of course. I hate this guy.
Rated 03 Jan 2007
Somber, creepy and hard to forget. About 9/11 more than anything. Doesn't quite work as a whole unfortunately. Cruise gives the same performance he gives in every movie.
Rated 28 May 2009
I honestly think this is underrated. I really like it.
fuck you and your screaming dakotah fanning
Rated 31 Oct 2008
Eh kinda lame.. tom cruise can do better.
While visually stunning, WotW has flaws in its pacing and left me unsatisfied
Rated 25 Apr 2007
I was rooting for the aliens - it looked like they were having a ton of fun. Movie's exciting enough, though doesn't hold up too well to repeat viewings. This is kind of a one-off spectacle, and then it's time to move on.
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Fantastic
Rated 20 Feb 2009
Creepy in the believable (For an alien movie....) sense.
Rated 31 May 2007
worth a watch, tim robbins is funny when not supposed to be
Rated 15 Apr 2009
A nice try but it misses the point of the books. The emotional attachment to the characters was a waste of time.
Rated 17 Jan 2009
H.G. Wells would be pissed. By having that douche Tom Cruise in it, it turned into another Scientology-esque piece of garbage.
Rated 15 Jul 2007
okay movie at best, and as usual they missed the whole point of H.G. Wells.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Sound interpretation of H.G Well's novel. Good special effects and well acted in the main. The pace is a little slow at parts and the ending although true to the novel is something of an anticlimax.
it starts with a bang and ends with a shrug, and how you ultimately feel about the film as a whole will primarily be determined by how much that initial bang is still resounding in your ears at the time it is all over.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Ends suddenly... but Tom Cruise is actually a convincing actor in this one.
the action is kool, the acting is WAY OVER DONE AND UNNECCESARY (if i could spell)
A film that was truly scary throufghout the ifrst two thirds, it completely falls apart from the moment Tim Robbins appears (blaming the script here, not Tim). Still, well worth a look.
ALiens killed by germs. XAXAXXAXA although Wels wrote this 50 ago.
An almost-return-to-form by Spielberg.
Rated 09 Nov 2007
Spielberg kicks things into high gear before gradually losing momentum in the second half. Still an entertaining invasion film.
Yawn
Rated 02 Dec 2008
Grown on me... but not much.
Rated 28 Feb 2008
neutral.
Spielberg's rehashes many of his better films in this. Still interesting visually.
Rated 04 Jul 2008
nice
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Good story... Dakota Fanning is much better than Tom Cruise.
Rated 22 Jun 2024
Je ne m'attendais pas à aimer ce film. De la science-fiction par Spielberg avec Tom Cruise ne m'inspire que du dégoût. Je redoutais un énième film Américain avec des soldats débiles, des scientifiques débiles, reliés à Washington donnant des ordre débiles. En fait, le film se déroule avec des personnages humains et crédibles, même Tom Cruise en père indigne. Les effets-spéciaux tiennent très bien la route, mais la fin est complètement mais complètement ratée. Tout ça pour ça ?
Rated 18 Sep 2007
Freaky senario but this movie is a true blockbuster type movie.
It was interesting enough.