2022
A young woman moves into a new apartment with her fiancé only to be tormented by the feeling that she is being stalked by an unseen watcher in an adjacent building.

2022

Rated 30 Sep 2022
I think that the man that I'm following that I suspect to be stalking me just walked into this adults only club and so I'm logically going to go into the adults only club to see if he did in fact come into this adults only club because I think he's stalking me. Perchance I find him, who knows?
Rated 21 Jun 2022
It's a well shot, decently acted thriller. It's slow, but with a constant eerie atmosphere that keeps you watching. The story was an ambiguous and interesting study of how paranoia can creep in when you're isolated in a foreign country. It had a pretty thought-provoking and interesting message but no; the last 5 minutes ruin all that with tired and predictable genre tropes that I have seen a 100 times before. What could have been a memorable thriller ends up just competent and forgettable.
Rated 22 Jun 2022
Wonderful job of showing a woman out of her element; in a foreign country, unfamiliar language, no friends/career, spends her nights alone. Made me wonder if the watcher was only watching her because she was being weird, like her hubby pointed out. Then after everything, it unfortunately ends up arriving at the same predictable destination as all the other films of this ilk do. There's some creepiness here and everything is fine, I just wish it stuck the landing better.
Rated 06 Aug 2022
I like this. I like Charade reference. I like people loving Charade.
Rated 28 Jun 2022
Watched it thinking it was a horror movie and it is most definitely not. Nice little thriller. You'll forget about it 15 min after it is finished.
Rated 09 Jul 2022
Okuno builds a good atmosphere of isolation and paranoia, and I get why the movie ends and maybe needs to end the way it does, but we end up with a pretty predictable story that we've seen before. There are ways this could have gone far more complex.
Rated 05 Jan 2023
A good example of how well thought out direction, a good eye for depth and space and just keeping it simple can elevate a pretty predictable premise. Without music this movie would have been extremely creepy, but unfortunately the modern scoring tropes kept my feet on the ground. The sense of estrangement and feeling unsafe in a foreign country was very well done and i was actually surprised they didn't mess this up at all! Promising director, very nice actress.
Rated 16 Jan 2023
Familiar Hitchcock/Polanski vibes. Monroe pulled out her calling card again, as she was so good at portraying the isolated, haunted protagonist that she kept me engaged the whole way through. I wish Watcher had some new twist to add to the genre, but its paranoia was effective.
Rated 09 Aug 2022
Bucharest, a serial killer, paranoia, uncanny, the feeling of being watched, alienation and loneliness. Watcher might be predictable, maybe it could be made more complex, but I liked it the way it is. Especially the atmosphere and tension creation impressed me a lot. I didn't think I would like the movie this much.
Rated 06 Dec 2023
Bien fait, mais énorme manque de rythme.
Rated 09 Jul 2022
Maika Monroe is just so brilliant with that looming, subtly haunted presence -- something that, of course, she carries with her performances since It Follows -- that she is just beyond of what the movie can offer, which is an average stalker, serial killer thriller that never manages to fully dive into horror and keeps running on circles through some boring psychological routines -- paranoia, the husband thinks she's crazy, the language barrier.
Rated 25 Jun 2022
Nice little thriller with obvious connections to Hitchcock's Rear Window and good development of plot. It doesn't have any particularly high aspirations, but gets the job done and glues you to the screen.
Rated 15 Jun 2023
This stalker film ticks all the boxes. The suspense and the unease are palpable, with the shocking final sequences hitting hard. Maika Monroe once again is able to portray the growing unease of her character, much in a similar fashion as in It Follows, and the smooth camera movements complement the begging for attention to the scenery by the viewer, beware of any imminent danger. The Romanian/foreign backdrop make this as fresh as possible. Excellent viewing.
Rated 08 Mar 2023
This movie takes its time but is never boring. I like the cinematography as well. Nicely done horror/thriller with a great payoff.
Rated 25 Sep 2023
This had an interesting idea but not much else going for it. I don't think it was bad per se, but I think it's a movie that only really works as this sort of a little play mixing some culture shock elements into the most traditional rear-window-thriller ever. It has a decent atmosphere throughout, and the acting isn't bad, but it just really feels like a movie that you shouldn't spend 5M making. For 500k this would have been great, for 5M I don't think it was ever worth making.
Rated 25 Jan 2023
Kinda liked the film untill the stupid climax portion.
Rated 29 Oct 2023
If I stay anywhere with bare windows, I have been known to create makeshift curtains out of anything I can find. Unfortunately, that is only one problem among many for Julia, and my jaw is still clenched from the suspense.
Rated 09 Mar 2023
While it has its strong points, such as its direction and lead performance, the lack of originality and failure to deliver a truly thrilling experience ultimately detracts from the overall quality of the film.
Rated 18 Jan 2024
A better version of The Voyeurs. It’s a good length and it has some great suspense. I also liked the performances from Monroe and Gorman.
Rated 09 Nov 2022
30 for the atmosphere and a somewhat decent performance by Monroe, but neither of those things matter if the story doesn't evolve... and it doesn't. This film is your average combination of hot girl, boring killer and some gaslighting, with no surprises whatsoever.
Rated 22 Oct 2022
Slow burn descent into paranoia, honestly no one likes people randomly watching them or following them and the movie leans heavily into that.
Rated 02 Oct 2022
I enjoyed this. However, I'm compulsive about knowing what people are saying in a foreign language so the whole "no subtitles for the Romanian parts for you" so we can feel like the protagonist as a fish out of water irked me a bit and I did indulge in a little translator app on my phone. I didn't use it for every scene, but 60-70% of the dialogue is in Romanian without English subtitles so be aware of that creative choice going in. Glacially paced at times, but Maika and Gorman are quite good.
Rated 29 Aug 2022
2022'de #IzlediğimFilmler ; 211. Watcher (2022) Tahmin edilebilir de olsa, mekanları, paranoyası ile, yabancılaşma ve yalnızlaşma temaları ile başarılı bir gerilim öyküsü.
Rated 28 Aug 2022
Incredibly well directed by Chloe Okuno. This is a hell of a feature directorial debut, and I will be a "watcher" of her career for sure. Sorry. Well shot with excellent use of depth of field and negative space. Shows a keen eye for creating suspense through what isn't shown rather than what is. If there's any major fault, it's that the story is too straightforward, but it's taking something that is essentially a small, tired horror/thriller trope and making it the entire focus
Rated 30 Jun 2022
Kind of an awkward timing to release a "believe women" movie.
Rated 29 Jun 2022
Curtains! People, use curtains.
Rated 29 Jun 2022
Doesn't really get any more run-of-the-mill than this - Rear Window and Single White Female spring to mind, as well as Ratter which also features Karl Glusman (and is a tiny bit better), but the possible comparables are endless really. Credit is due for the very decent execution, and the fact that nothing incredibly implausible happens (refreshing!), so if you're unbothered by unoriginality it's an alright movie.
Rated 26 Jun 2022
I would give it 80 but the last ten minutes are so dump and bad. just skip the last ten mins. Bad ending, I regretted watching the ending.
Rated 22 Jun 2022
Nothing new or all that interesting, but not bad at all.