Where the Sidewalk Ends
Where-the-Sidewalk-Ends

Where the Sidewalk Ends

1950
Drama, Crime
Cop Mark Dixon is already in trouble with his superiors for his brutal tactics when he accidentally kills a murder suspect... (imdb)
FlixFlingPlexPlex Player

A terrific noir, loaded with tension. Watching Dana Andrews dig himself into a deeper and deeper hole is a torturous but thrilling experience. A darker ending would have been more interesting, but everything besides that was excellent. Good stuff.
Rock-solid Preminger noir, with some nice photography, lots of tension and a damn good performance from Dana Andrews. The way he digs himself into a hole and finds himself trapped between his job and a girl makes for a nice dilemma. The ending is a bit of a cop-out, but it's not egregiously inconsistent or anything.
A very good film in all aspects. The plot is thrilling, the acting is terrific, and the lighting and photography are top notch. I just think it could've been a little nastier. Maybe it was just the ending that bugged me, I don't know.
Watchable film noir, starring the wooden Dana Andrews opposite a typically fawning, rag doll of a female character. I am sorry but the portrayal of women in some of these old Hollywood movies is inexcusable.
I didn't care too much for the ending, but this is one of my favorite straight noirs. It fits the mold so well that it could be cliche if it wasn't so expertly crafted.

Submitted bydallyDally on 02 Apr 2006