Who\
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduTubi TVYouTube
Whos-Afraid-of-Virginia-Woolf
Whos-Afraid-of-Virginia-Woolf

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

1966
A night of fun and drinks for two college professors (one old, one new) and their wives turns into an emotional and psychological nightmare.
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduTubi TVYouTube

Life is hard when you're married apparently. Total bomb and supremely overrated. They never give you a reason to care and how can you? All the characters are idiots. Acting is good but the material sucks. I just hate when movies are obviously plays before they are converted to films, if you don't care about the characters then there is nothing left for you. No interesting shots, no cool editing, just idiots talking, talking, talking. God, they really talk a lot.
This is intense stuff, and I enjoyed it a lot. I can never tell which way I'm going to go on these high-octane chamber dramas with few characters. Some work, some don't. This one does. Even though the characters are completely unbelievable and the dialogue is far, far too witty and on-point that they could possibly be making it up on the spot, I really believed this film. By the end I cared deeply about what would happen to the characters. The main reason for that must be the excellent acting.
Amazing performances by all four leads make for an incredible movie about love, hate and dysfunctional relationships. It gets a little too absurd near the end but the acting is so flawless that you don't really care.
A brutal, intense adaptation of Albee's brilliant play. When the film reaches its climax, we are as devastated by the events as the characters are. It's a terribly cynical look at marriage, and yet there's still a small ray of ambiguous hope at the end. Burton and Taylor are absolutely magnificent, Segal is fair, but Sandy Dennis isn't that hot. Perhaps it's just because her character is meant to be annoying, but her drunk acting (and this entire movie is drunk acting) doesn't ring true.
The tight, razor sharp script full of incisive barbs and wry humor is wonderfully supported by remarkably rich and powerful performances by Taylor and Burton. Nichols' direction, while not as obviously brilliant as either the writing or acting, should not be overlooked, either: he captures the claustrophobic feel of the script wonderfully through his use of closeups and his remarkable manipulation of space (even the expansive lawn shrinks dramatically as Taylor appears in the background).
Avg Percentile 73.58% from 2072 total ratings