Woman Is the Future of Man
Woman-Is-the-Future-of
Woman-Is-the-Future-of

Woman Is the Future of Man

2004
Two longtime friends, Moon-Ho (Yoo Ji-Tae), a college lecturer in art, and Hyun-Joon (Kim Tae-Woo), a struggling filmmaker, both have a weakness for Sun-Hwa (Sung Hyun-Ah). Hun-Joon used to go out with her and when he left for a trip to the United States, Moon-Ho stepped in. Now, with Hun-Joon back in South Korea and Moon-Ho safely married, they track her down once more. (asianwiki.com)
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Woman Is the Future of Man

Its minimalism is disarming, as soft as the falling snow. Surprising then, each lash of the tongue, and disquieting when made apparent the cumulative misery and destruction these characters wreak upon themselves and each other.
Considerably darker and more cynical than what I'm used to from Hong. His great skill as a filmmaker, as it seems to me, is a light and somewhat comic touch in the midst of relational difficulties. Here, his two leads are sullen, weak, and destructive, qualities that are just too one-dimensional to be all that interesting.
This has a little bit more of an edge than most of the recent Sang-soo movies I watched. I liked it a lot.
"The constantly falling snow beautifully heightens the memory deprivation of the already temporally challenged mise-en-scène, but the narrative remains hungry for action." - Ed Gonzalez
One of the few Hong Sang-soo films left unexplored to me, and was a tragi-comic delight from beginning to end. Just when you feel a belly laugh coming on Sang-soo counters it with an aching punch to the gut.

Director: Sang_soo_HongSang-soo Hong