Woman in the Dunes
Woman-in-the-Dunes

Woman in the Dunes

1964
Drama, Horror
An entomologist searching for insects in the desert is trapped into a large hole where lives a women in an old house... (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVCriterion ChannelTCM

I was in need of a shower immediately afterwards, to wash all the sand away.
If I had to describe this movie with one word, it would be "unsettling". The look of the movie is unsettling; the camera movements are unsettling; the soundtrack is unsettling; the premise is VERY unsettling. Overall, a very eerie and intelligent movie but a tad tedious in parts.
A chilling, unnerving, surreal tale of drama, horror and suspense, with incredible cinematography. But beneath that are layers upon layers of subtext, ripe for a variety of interpretations. I feel like I could watch this a dozen times and come away with something different each time.
You ever have that moment when watching a film or listening to a record where you realize that you're experiencing something incredible? Seven minutes and fifty-two seconds into Woman in the Dunes, I had that feeling. The camera cuts to a perfect shot (one of hundreds here; this is one of the most impeccably shot films I've ever seen), that you'll likely know when you see it. And for me, it ranks alongside Vertigo as one of the best Thrillers of all time, providing literal chills throughout.
It deals with the phenomenon of "institutionalization" which delienates and habituates simply everything in our lifes, in that sense this is an ontological experiment which puts our entomologist in the place of the insects and makes him the object of our view, of the villager's entertainment. And it proves that men has a tendency to institutionalize every habitus, unlike insects which die when they can't adapt. Could be easily a story by Franz Kafka.

Runtime: 2h 27m