2011
Sci-fi
In this exciting prequel to the X-Men series, Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) -- the future Professor X and Magneto -- are best friends dedicated to harnessing their powers and promoting the education of fellow mutants during the turbulent 1960s. The duo works together to stop a powerful adversary that threatens mankind, but their ideological differences drive them apart and turn them into ferocious enemies.

2011
Sci-fi

Rated 11 Jun 2011
On the one hand, Fassbender is fucking great and Kevin Bacon is a Nazi. On the other, that aerial dogfight involving a fire-breathing mothgirl and someone who stays in the air by screaming is one of the most retarded viewing experiences I can recall.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
Has a few hundred plots, silly moments, loopholes, bad puns towards the end but it was a very fun film. Frantic pacing and cuts around the globe don't detour this enjoyable ride. Fassbender is just a mega star and dominates everything he is involved with and Jones is impossible to look away from. There is also a grossly inappropriate cutaway to do with enslavement that is worth watching this for alone.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
Big return to form for the X-Men franchise after the average "Last Stand" & terrible "Wolverine" movie. There are a few things that hold this movie back; notably it feels a little cliche here & there, & with so many characters to get through, it does feel a little underveloped in certain areas. But even so, Vaughn's direction is seriously tight. Action is impressive, the casting supurb, with the story more than solid enough to engage, & most importantly it's actually fun! I can like X-Men again!
Rated 08 Jun 2011
Edges out X2 as the best film in the X-Men series and is nearly as entertaining as the 1st Iron Man. McAvoy and Fassbender are incredible as Professor X and Magneto, providing deep emotional substance not often found in summer blockbusters. Sadly, supporting characters like Angel and Banshee are laughable and distract from otherwise fantastically directed action. It is disappointing that a terrific story is stuck with some uninteresting mutants, but still, the awesome far outweighs the ugly.
Rated 11 Jun 2011
No doubt this movie is held together by the two fantastic leads. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are superb and I was pleasantly surprised to see Kevin Bacon in an indisputably good film. That said he has some tremendously hokey moments (it opens up with a Magento scream moment which is questionably similar to Darth Vader's infamous "NOOOOO!" climax from Revenge of the Sith). Still after the let downs of X-Man: The Last Stand and X-Men: Origins Wolverine it's a welcome improvement.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
Moderately engaging, moderately entertaining and ultimately unsatisfying, this overlong preboot is, any way you look at it, a slight, tepid moneymaker. The best aspect of it is definitely the chemistry between Fassbender and McAvoy (who are consistently excellent) and there are certainly amusing moments involving the inexperienced mutants. But the whole thing feels redundant and lifeless -a by-the-numbers cash cow aiming for the wallets, instead of the intellect (or heart) of the audience.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
Has Vaughn snored so much coke during his 'Layer Cake' shoot, his direction is still showing the side-effects ? The film moves at a frenetic pace, wastes much of its potential (notably Lawrence as Mystique), and conspicuously sets up future events, so as to ease the viewer's mind. I hate it when that shit happens. It still bears a certain fun factor which alleviates the pain of Ratner's abomination and Fassbender is badass, I'd watch it again for that 1st act alone.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
It's decent. I have a lot of gripes about the film (the entire awful character of Angel, Darwin, Kevin Bacon being snarly Kevin Bacon instead of Shaw, Moira and Banshee being American, Mystique and White Queen's dialogue, the magic bullet, the logic of all the bureaucrats blindly following one other bureaucrat into war, the lame Stamos cameo that made zero sense, the Bogarting of the Jewish holocaust scene, the nonsensical angry boy Erik screaming), but Fassbender isn't one. He's a fucking star.
Rated 07 Jul 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM with added mutants, missile crisis and Kevin Bacon
Rated 10 Jun 2011
Enjoyable but uneven. This page shows six writers worked on this project, which isn't surprising at all. The dialog can switch from ingenious to exasperating in a single scene. That being said, it's a slightly above average addition to the superhero genre, McAvoy and Fassbender (and surprisingly, Hugh Jackman) shine, and it's fun enough to be worth the watch.
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Not that good and felt quite awkward at times, like Xavier clutching his head so many times or the screamflying. Story felt too simple and the characters felt so stale. I do love the John Travolta as Dutch magician Hans Klok cameo, he was cool.
Rated 17 May 2016
Solid prequel to the X-Men series that benefits from sophisticated writing, a more-than-capable cast, and deft direction. Has a few eye-rolling moments ("Mutant and proud!"), but definitely one of the better movies of the series.
Rated 18 Jul 2012
Apart from the flat supporting characters and a few doses of overly cheesy dialogue, this film is at the top end of superhero movies. A script which makes you toss and turn sides throughout the film is commendable and some truly great acting from McAvoy and Fassbender. Easily the best X-Men film and recommendable to all.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
The best part of the X-franchise yet? Especially the characterization is closing in on flawless - particularly for an ensemble movie in the action genre. Vaughn somehow manages to turn the challenge of introducing a dozen of storylines into his greatest asset and namely the first half focusing on the young Eric and Charles is both fascinating, moving and hilarious. The result: These iconic characters makes more sense than ever - and have arguably never been portrayed this interestingly.
Rated 17 Sep 2011
The xenophobic themes are explored better than in previous films and is generally more of a mature affair. Surprisingly well acted, genuinely funny and an intriguing story line all amounts to "First Class" not only being one of the best X-Men films but also one of the best Marvel adaptions.
Rated 04 Jun 2011
Overrated -- guys, come on, this is not Dark Knight -- but still good, First Class has unsatisfying special effects, clumsy editing, poor acting of the supporting cast -- but I love January Jones --, and sometimes an unconvincing storytelling. Well, in this huge mess created for kids, in which I expected much more from Vaughn, there is hope: the franchise finally got over the previous two and maybe there is something good coming in the next few years. Maybe.
Rated 01 Sep 2022
It shouldn't work with all it has going on. It's a Batman Begins or Star Trek style reboot. A prequel like Phantom Menace. And a Harry Potter style YA genre movie. Yet it works. A great deal is because Fassbender is the coolest Nazi hunter in movie history. Likewise, it stays true to the political philosophy of the comics via compelling arguments between Xavier & Erik. But it's fun, too--especially the fights, action, and great cameo. Highly recommended, even with the silly '60's sexism.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
Fassbender and McAvoy are the draw here, but the rest of the cast (for the most part) is just bad. The supporting characters are just mashed together, the relationship stuff is sloppy and detracts from the experience, and it really should've just been a movie about Xavier and Magneto as they were the best parts and had great chemistry. January Jones (aside from being eye candy) was awful. Bacon started well, but turned bad quick. Better than Last Stand, but not nearly as good as X1 and X2.
Rated 09 Jun 2011
Where most people found this to be a worthy prequel, I had many problems with it. The pacing is slipshod; at times fast as hell, at other times glacial. The acting's uneven; while Fassbender and McAvoy are excellent, many supporting characters are piss-poor, none more so than January Jones' Emma Frost. There are a ton of horrible humor bits, poor CGI shots and makeup effects (poor, poor Beast). Not a travesty like Wolverine, but tread with caution.
Rated 11 Jun 2011
God this movie was so corny I just couldn't get into it. Kevin Bacon's motives make absolutely no sense considering he has the ability to harness and channel infinite amounts of energy. I realize his super power isn't being a genius but to start a war when you can do it yourself is the definition of idiotic. January Jones is clearly a one note actress. In other words, Betty Draper is in this movie. Felt way too long and again, super fuckin cheesy. I AM MAGNETO!!! Also, the CGI looks like ass.
Rated 13 Jun 2011
Being my first of the X franchise, it delivers exactly what I expected - fun. While watching it, I couldn't avoid constantly comparing it to Watchmen - they after all do both talk about an ensemble of superheroes trying to prevent a nuclear war. Both being great, this one is a bit less serious, but, as mentioned, not at all disappointing.
Rated 07 Apr 2012
This score would be lower but Fassbender's Magneto kept me interested. I wish this was just him going after Nazis. Every Magneto thing is TITS. HELLA COOL , the first 1/2 hour is great then it becomes X-Men babies for a bit and I didn't care ~at all~. The CGI was atrocious in parts and the Hugh Jackman cameo was amazing. Jennifer Lawrence knockers picture. The end
Rated 01 Jun 2011
Finally an X-Men film worth my time. I was never a fan, and I still think some of the characters are a bit too ill-defined, but this is a great example of taking what you've got and making something excellent out of it. Please put Matthew Vaughn in charge of all future X-Men installments. Has some problems, but just gets better and better as it progresses; McAvoy and Fassbender are excellent and the film is perfectly grandiose. By the end I did not know which side I was on. Well recommendable.
Rated 02 Jun 2011
This movie is everything the new Star Wars Trilogy should have been. Well known characters in new situations, but still being true to the original story. The friendship between Erik and Charles is the main focus of the story and because of solid acting skills from both actors it carries the movie. The friendship has a Malcolm X and Luther King feal to it. Two people wanting the same but with very different means. With a sinister side to it, this is not your typically main stream action movie.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
I would say that I thoroughly enjoyed about 80% of this movie, but most of the parts that weren't in that 80% detracted quite a bit. I would recommend it for a fun summer blockbuster or for a fun movie to joke about because even some of the enjoyable stuff was pretty stupid (i.e. Magneto apparently stands around with a gun when they watch Kennedy on tv). Magneto did really steal the show though. Also the cameo by Jackman was better than the entirety of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Rated 25 Sep 2011
The blatant sequel hook and clumsy shout-outs to later continuity (Am I the only one really fucking sick of Wolverine?) aside, this is a really, really good comic book/superhero film. I liked the semi-historical setting and really enjoyed the friendship between Charles/Erik and felt genuinely sad when it inevitably broke down. Kevin Bacon looked like he was having an absolute ball, too.
Rated 06 Jun 2011
First Class stands in Stark contrast to other Marvel films (fucking nailed that pun). It is fairly mature and real emotion lies beneath many of the mutants' motives. Fassbender is fantastic, and McAvoy isn't far behind as the two shred any preconceived notion that acting in super-hero flicks is sparse. The rest of cast...eh, not so great. Whatever, this is a step above the recent onslaught in this genre. Solid film. Best mutant? January Jones' boobs.
Rated 13 Dec 2011
This is another good chapter in the X-Men movie series. Jmaes McAvroy is a good casting choice and most of the ensemble cast does an excellent job. This movie has a lot of fun scenes and it deals with the origins of the X-Men. I would definitely recommend this movie.
Rated 01 Aug 2011
While rivaling X2 for "best in franchise" (at the time of release) this installment suffers a bit from cramming too much plot and too many protagonists into one film. I had preferred if the focus stayed on McAvoy and especially Fassbender, who unfortunately gets pushed to the side making his "turn to the dark side" feel more than just a little bit rushed. A few extra points for Jackman's brilliant cameo though.
Rated 04 Jun 2014
Cool and lame in equal measure. As superhero movies and popcorn flicks go, Vaughn's prequel is above average but McAvoy's acting and Bacon's menacing baddie are the only first class elements in an overlong, lightweight blockbuster. Jones, in an utterly rotten performance, is the worst, but Lawrence is almost as awful, and that certainly renders the execrably handled Be Proud subplot no less terrible. The other annoying mutant youngins don't fare much better... Rose Byrne, however, I like. A lot.
Rated 10 Jun 2011
X-Men: First Class is more fan service than an actual story, a device to tie in loose pieces in place of actually providing meaningful stories or insights into character. Besides James McAvoy the cast is downright absurd, highlighted by a Hollow Man-esque performance for Kevin Bacon and the worst use of Oliver Platt in film history. The film's second act builds around one of the most frustratingly edited montages of recent memory.
Rated 21 Mar 2018
I think this is the first X-Men movie I've seen and I'm not real acquainted with the characters but I enjoyed it. I liked that it was serious but not dark.
Rated 12 Jun 2011
Where to start. Mini-skirts didn't really exist like that then. People did not really call people "cool cats," that's more of a jive talkin' 1950s thing. People DEFINITELY did not say groovy, that's a hippie late 1960s thing. People didn't wear that kind of modern lingerie. People in business suits in a classy club would not be listening to rock 'n roll, which was still subversive then. All easily fixable. The CGI was also horrible. Beast looked like a Na'vi crossed with a cat. PROBLEMS.
Rated 13 Jun 2011
Highly enjoyable, with a star-making performance by Michael Fassbender. There's an inherent problem with prequels in that the audience always knows how the story will end, and while First Class suffers from that somewhat, Vaughn is still able to make these familiar characters more fascinating than ever. There are flaws of course (useless characters [ie. Tornado Man!], the finale's flying fight, January Jones), but they can't spoil the experience. This is everything I want from summer cinema.
Rated 16 Jul 2011
I enjoyed the stuff between Xavier and Magneto but everything else was a miss for me. I didn't really like the "new" x-men in powers or personality. Beast looks terrible and barely any of the characters really develop. Quick scene cuts and silly dialogue just added to the problems.
Rated 08 Jul 2011
For the 'glass half full' people: I am happy to report that 'X-Men: First Class' doesn't really do much wrong. McAvoy and Fassbinder are particularly well cast and the revenge story of 'Magneto' is devilishly entertaining. For the 'glass half empty' people, I am sad to say that it's never strikes a clean note either. It's muddled, at least half an hour too long, and filled with lesser mutants. A scene towards the end made me feel like screaming "MEDIC! FOR FUCKS SAKE!" at the top of my lungs.
Rated 11 Sep 2011
Easily the strongest of the X-Men films, Fassbender is excellent. A really great workup to the complicated relationship between Xavier and Magneto.
Rated 28 Apr 2012
it started out promising but went downhill quite fast. introducing the lamest cast of x men to date, first class was cursed from the beginning. and a sarcastic slow clap to the make up team for making Beast look like a fucking Thundercat.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
For all its stylistic triumphs, this re-imagined X-men origin story still disappoints with its clunky, unconvincing script and several sappy moments. It is nothing more than a passable, mildly entertaining superhero film that had so much wasted potential. Too bad, coz it had a relatively good cast.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
Blue girl identity crisis and young wide-eyed mutants discovering themselves through the supremely self-satisfied tutelage of DoucheAhoy. Control your power! Be different and proud! Human/mutant relations are tricky! I've seen this movie before! And this time it's just not working, at all, and it's very boring. And sometimes laughably bad. January Jones was superhot, though.
Rated 17 Feb 2012
Easily one of the best X-Men movies out there, even if people are getting kind of sick of them at this point. X-Men: First Class boasts really good character development and a good story and, finally, a director who can match up to Bryan Singer's potential. Really solid!
Rated 17 Jun 2011
Works best when McAvoy and Fassbender are on the screen. I felt it was a bit jumbled in terms of plotting and characters, but was good fun nonetheless. I missed the explanation for Magneto's decision to don a cape...
Rated 28 Mar 2019
sex men fist ass was enjoyable and a welcome addition to the captain marvel cinematic universe
Rated 21 Jun 2011
Excellent prequel giving all the history between Xavier and Magneto and showing how Xavier's school was founded. Easily the best X-Men film featuring cool characters with excellently visualized powers, a mostly cliche free script that gives real motivation to the main characters and a great performance from Michael Fassbender. The action scenes are awesome and the potential for a sequel is great.
Rated 22 Jun 2011
Not breaking any new ground in saying this, but McAvoy and Fassbender are head and shoulders the major reason for watching this movie and recommending that others watch it. As a History nerd, the Cold War backdrop is always a draw and it's pulled off here with a decent sensitivity for accuracy. Not being a big connoisseur of the comics, it's hard for me to comment on character accuracy, but it worked well enough for me. I will say that there was some dialogue wonk. But see it for sure!
Rated 10 Feb 2012
There is only one kind of superhero movie any more. It is the origin story. The three best superhero movies of the last twenty years are Unbreakable, The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2. Only one of those is an origin story. The X-men series is the most convoluted and wastes all of its potential. Rebooting the whole thing isn't worth doing if you're going to focus on roughly thirty characters. The further you spread the limelight the more I yawn.
Rated 24 Jun 2011
Fassbender owns but otherwise this is a predictably lame comic book movie.
Rated 25 Jun 2011
While the movie was certainly lacking in many ways such as some really cheesy moments, some bad looking effects{poor Beast} and some notably bad supporting actors{January Jones}, it still managed to be pretty decent which says A LOT from a guy who thought all the other X-Men movies were terrible. The chemistry between McAvoy and Fassbender is really what makes this film, as both play their role incredibly well and you can really buy into each sides views differing views of the conflict at hand.
Rated 15 Jul 2012
Not very often does a movie come along that I think is perfect, but this movie hits all the marks. The cast is wonderful, the action is superb and the story aligns perfectly to fit everything in place where it needs to be. McAvoy is a wonderful Prof. X and Fassbender is an excellent Magneto. Kevin Bacon was an interesting bad guy choice but I really ended up liking him. It amazes me that even with four previously released X-Men movies this one ended up being so amazing.
Rated 01 Jun 2011
So, they spent the budget to bribe the critics?
Rated 01 Jun 2011
Pretty damn enjoyable. It has bags of personality, which is refreshing for a Marvel Studios movie, and good, solid performances all-round. Vaughn's aesthetic was really nice, and I enjoyed the satirical edge he brought to the film. The music was way too overbearing, though - like an episode of Doctor Who - and not all the characters got enough screen time to feel properly developed. For the most part, though, well worth a watch.
Rated 15 Aug 2018
Had to watch this twice, as I have forgotten everything about it two hours after I saw it the first time so I doubled the score. Why not? Beware, to be an x person (I am called Mr. Amnesiac, want to guess my power?) is a bland yet deep life. Like my friend here, he cries when he remembers mommy or when he lifts submarines with his mind and he wants to be called a magnet-o because he is good with metals. We call him dickhead instead. He can't understand why normal people hate him. True story.
Rated 24 May 2014
My fav X-Men movie to date. The casting is faultless and the story kept me engaged the whole way through. The whole 60s setting, with the world on the brink of nuclear war, works much better for a superhero movie than the more modern scenarios of the previous films. It's completely silly popcorn fodder with a bit of a "Mad Men"-vibe going on, but it's extremely enjoyable with great action set-pieces and a solid (if you don't think too much) plot.
Rated 03 Jun 2011
I go to the X-Men movies as a comics enthusiast and after the disastrous 3rd movie and mediocre Wolverine one, my expectations were quite low. It is a mix and match of several X-Men stories(Not a bad one though, except maybe the red nightcrawler).But it captured the essence of X-Men and keeping the story in 60s around Cuban Crisis made it a nice period piece. I also appreciated the multilingual nature of it, language imitation is a part of acting and all the actors put up a great effort in that.
Rated 03 Jun 2011
A good script focusing on the dual philosophies between Xavier and Erik, translated into a fun, well-paced flick with a great 60s setting, marred only by a couple of weak performances of smaller roles, and rushed production. It's a good movie that lacked the polish to be great.
Rated 28 Feb 2019
It was cringy most of the time, but I still enjoyed it.
Rated 25 Mar 2020
A fun ride of a movie.
Rated 07 Jul 2011
Let's not kid ourselves, you're probably watching the movie because you want to see how the friendship between X and Magneto got fucked up... at least if you know anything about them or X-Men. The movie succeeds on that front. Their friendship is done well, and heart breaking, lead by good performances from the two leads. Because of this, it's easier to forgive the cast of mutants (though I understand not having the best from the get go), and the spotty acting some of the other people give.
Rated 15 Mar 2013
I really loved James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, and Michael Fassbender. I really enjoyed a number of the action scenes and was impressed by some interesting shots. And, of course, January Jones is "really" hot. However, it is quite difficult to appreciate that all with some unforgivable issues The special effects are hilariously awful, some performances (Oscar-winning thespian Jennier Lawrence, ladies and gentlemen) are shallow and weak, the script is null, and the film, ultimately forgettable.
Rated 03 Aug 2011
02 agustos 2011 & sonunda, uzun zamandan sonra kaliteli bir hollywood aksiyon filmi izleyebildik.
Rated 22 Oct 2012
I just wish Fassbender had managed to keep his accent consistent, rather than suddenly becoming Irish at the end. Apart from that, He, McAvoy and Bacon were great. And that bar scene must be a candidate for the best cameo ever!
Rated 05 Jun 2011
This film has some severe problems. Fassbender and McAvoy are the only people in the cast who do a decent job; the rest are awful. The dialogue is often unbearable, and some aspects of the direction and the plot are nonsensical. It is still fun at times, though, so it is watchable if unremarkable.
Rated 05 Jun 2011
Tepid big-budget shit. The twist is that this is set in some kind of alternate-reality, dumbed-down Cold War where everyone still looks and talks like they just stepped in from the lot where they were filming Transformers next door.
Rated 06 Jun 2011
Very enjoyable. Magneto is awesome and I loved his story. Professor X was a bit too much of a smart ass for my liking, but it wasn't awful. Kevin Bacon's casting as the villain didn't work that well for me as I just started laughing when I first saw him. I give them credit for not going the traditionally lazy Hollywood route and making all foreigners speak English.
Rated 16 Dec 2019
This movie was almost excellent The problem is that on it's own, it isn't a compelling enough story to be interesting; but with the franchise, it just violates quite a few things that were established in the other movies. The obvious one being how and when Professor X became wheelchair bound, but there's definitely more. This could have been the best movie in the series. Additionally, this movies origination of the Beast character actually makes X3 even more disappointing than it already was.
Rated 01 Feb 2017
This is an entertaining change of pace for the X-Men movie series. There are certainly some growing pains here as the series struggles to find a new tonal sweet spot after X3 and Origins were both disasters, but the cast is good enough to make up for the shortcomings of the narrative. McAvoy and Fassbender are obviously amazing and steal every scene they're in, but I also really enjoy Jennifer Lawrence and Kevin Bacon's contributions. It's clunky at times, but overall it's a worthy X-Men movie.
Rated 12 Jan 2017
There's plenty of scriptural precedent for such a struggle. And there's a pretty large part of me that welcomes the spiritual discussion it naturally prompts. But while X-Men: First Class lauds many of the right things, it dabbles in a host of wrong ones. And while trying to exhort us all to be "better men," it gives us what makes us worse. It wants it both ways. And I'm not so sure Charles would appreciate the sentiment. (pluggedin.com)
Rated 15 Oct 2012
I'm a big X-men fan and sci-fi fan as well. I love films that exhibit people with supernatural powers. It's good also to see a back story of Magneto and Professor X. I heart James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence. Greatly staged and beautifully plotted
Rated 07 Jun 2011
Sensational. Restores some of the awe that used to be associated with superhero movies. Breathlessly exciting--particularly that last half-hour--colorfully performed and packs a genuine emotional wallop. Leagues better than I ever expected, and easily the strongest "X-Men" movie yet. Fans of comic book flicks should take care not to miss it.
Rated 23 Sep 2018
The first two acts of this film run like a well-oiled machine, setting up and seeing us learn about our characters and their perspectives. The problems come in when the final act nearly falls flat on its face as it relies on bad CGI, contrived plot developments, and some really bad film-making. Still, this is an easy recommend as Fassbender and McAvoy are fantastic in their respective roles.
Rated 15 Aug 2020
Pretty dark at times, but also a lot of fun. The cast is good, and Matthew Vaughn is great in the director’s chair.
Rated 03 Sep 2017
I don't need to see any more fireball spitting flying mutants.
Rated 08 Jun 2011
Coolnes in 17 letters ? M-I-C-H-A-E-L F-A-S-S-B-E-N-D-E-R!!!! And one of the worst superhero villains in Kevin Bacon.
Rated 09 Jun 2011
Yes, it was THAT good. Very good dialogue/writing, interesting characters and settings, and very good story altogether. Ignore Xmen 3 and Wolverine, and you'll be much, much happier. Seriously.
Rated 07 Jan 2017
Occasionally lumpy prequel to the X-Men films; the first half in particular feels like a scattered, disorienting tour through the psyches of too many characters, but the second half flowers into a series of exceptional action sequences, interspersed with character/relationship beats which are touching and involving (esp between Lawrence/Hoult and McAvoy/Fassbender). The starring duo make their own marks on their characters, but are distractingly unconvincing surrogates for Stewart/McKellen.
Rated 11 Jun 2011
Where so many superhero movies are whizzbangin' rides that blast through exposition to relish in explosion, First Class refreshingly takes its time. It's a very compelling story dabbling in alternate history, killed by moronic lines worsened by unworthy actors, and with too much stopping to point out the obvious ("call me MAGNETO" as if we thought the metal pushing guy was nightcrawler). And the overused special effects (the plague of Superhero movies) brought back Quidditch nightmares
Rated 11 Jun 2011
The meat of the film is fantastic (Fassbender & McAvoy!), but the side dishes leave something to be desired (like the arbitrary inclusion of minor mutants Angel, Havok, Banshee, Darwin). The film could have easily just followed Magneto, Xavier, Mystique and Beast and been stronger. It also treats the viewer like a moron, going out of its way to awkwardly explain the origins and names behind EVERYTHING. Still, quite enjoyable and, if anything, proves that Fassbender deserves the Bond mantle.
Rated 11 Jun 2011
Some parts feel spread a little thin while others are over-explained, but on the whole it's pretty enjoyable and a notch above your standard action film with the underlying, though simplistic, commentary on prejudice.
Rated 12 Nov 2016
B
Rated 12 Jun 2011
A return to form for the franchise. Fassbender is great, McAvoy is good and the pair have great chemistry that carries the movie.
Rated 12 Jun 2011
Works when it's like a Bond movie, but the second half is on par with X-Men: Last Stand and Wolverine: Origins, boring and stupid that is.
Rated 11 Jun 2012
The best of the X-men movies. I wish they had spent a little more time on the philosophizing, but still, the balance between entertainment and ideas was pretty good.
Rated 12 Mar 2012
By far the best X-Men movie, but the others weren't really that great to begin with. The cast is stellar. Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Kevin Bacon are all fantastic, and the supporting cast also do a great job. The action is really well done, and Magneto has some great scenes. The one where he's in the bar, the submarine scene, etc. It's a very well made movie, and Mathew Vaughn is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors. Can't wait to see what he does next!
Rated 01 Apr 2016
I'm a little taken aback by how much I enjoyed this. It took me a bit to get the tone Vaughan and his actors were going for ('60s spy movies; dumb, earnest, fun B-movie schlock; but with a respectable sheen & exciting, energetic pacing), but once it clicked, it really clicked, & I had a great time just going with the sincere absurdity. Fassbender commits like a madman, & his performance is probably the main reason I choked up a little bit during the ending of a freaking X-Men movie what the hell
Rated 12 Apr 2012
I'd say this is about on par with the first X-Men film, which I suppose is saying something considering this film doesn't have Stewart, McKellen, or Singer. McAvoy and Fassbender actually do a great job together, and those are big shoes to fill (although Fassbender cannot pull off that helmet), and I was surprised how little the film relied on action. The CGI in what action there was could've used a second look from the animators, but hey, I still like the first Spider-Man so whatever.
Rated 15 Jun 2011
Too cornball. A lot of scenes were unintentionally funny.
Rated 15 Jun 2011
This is my favorite X-men movie. And that is quite surprising with the huge amounts of flaws. The dialogue is at times horrifically cheesy, the side characters are bland and many of the special effects look surprisingly bad. But when the movie works it is a contender for the best superhero movie ever. Fassbender and Bacon are amazing as are their characters. The overall continuity in the franchised is abandoned with this film and perhaps it is for the best. It does however bother me.
Rated 16 Jun 2011
The best X-Men movie! Not many complaints outside of my usual X-Men gripes: some of the mutants are broken as fuck, some of the mutants are clearly designed by retards, the costumes are horrible and distracting, etc. I really wish X-Men would follow Batman's lead and take some of the ridiculousness out of the source material. Magneto in regular clothes: awesome. Magneto in a cape and dick-helmet: laughable. Writing ranges from cheesy and plot-hole ridden to pretty decent, but I'm mostly a fan.
Rated 19 Jul 2011
Nice Movie
Rated 19 Jun 2011
The most entertaining X-film thus far, First Class finds strength by capturing the look and feel of the paranoid (sometimes misogynistic) 1960s. Although ultimately shallow, the third-string mutants' powers are creatively utilized, and Vaughan constructs some truly memorable shots. The Prof. X/Magneto origin story is capped by an incredible and heart-wrenching climax. The main characters are perfectly cast, but I am most saddened that the White Queen was so utterly miscast and under-written.
Rated 16 Apr 2012
Way better than I expected. I still have trouble dealing with the dramatic changes they made not only from the comic books but from the first X-Men movies as well. Still, if reinventing was what had to happen for the series, First Class at least did it well.
Rated 23 Apr 2020
Still the best X-Men film, feels the closest to the original comics as well.
Rated 28 Aug 2011
This film oozes style with fantastic sets, good cinematography, and great retro 60's costumes. McAvoy and Fassbender had big shoes to fill in these roles from their counterparts. Kevin Bacon is an odd but hilarious choice as Shaw. Fassbender is great as the younger Magneto. A few of the mutants were a bit silly and their addition was unnecessary. The CGI was also a bit overwrought with goofy flying scenes. Great effort in all though and it also has the best cameo ever.
Rated 25 Jun 2011
Pretty good film, a touch longer than it needed to be, with some groovy special affects and fuzzy characters. Kevin Bacon is good.
Rated 18 Jul 2011
First Class was a comic book movie for people who like comic book movies and are already pretty familiar with the X-Men. It had dozens of characters, none of whom were very well developed, but all of whom had their respective power featured prominently at some point. It was fun to see the variety, because that's such a key element of the X-Men series, but as stated before, character development was lacking, and for an origin story, that's a mistake. Pretty good!
Rated 12 Nov 2017
BACK-FILLING A WHOLE JOB-LOT OF FILMS I'VE SEEN BUT NOT FOR A LONG, LONG TIME So, my recollection/scoring may be 20-30% off point. I would be not at all offended, grateful in fact, if anyone wants to drop me a cordial note if they think memory has dulled a gem or given a rosy tint to a bit of a clunker. IE. Tell me why I am wrong and what U think I should've scored it. I love film chat/debate.
Rated 26 Dec 2011
The positive response to this movie must come from X-Men fans who feel like it's more true to the comic books, because otherwise I don't know how this movie could be so highly rated. The first two movies had their shortcomings, but the writing lent their stories a touch of realism (I can't speak for the 3rd movie since I haven't seen it). The writing in X-Men: First Class is annoyingly cheesy, sprinkled with moments that are downright stupid. It's like if the SyFy Channel made an X-Men movie.
Rated 03 Oct 2011
Really loved this X-Men movie, it stands as the best to date. It's good to see some mutant faces that i hadn't seen before, but I feel like they didn't leave too much wiggle room for more X-Men prequels after this, which I had been hoping for. hopefully they don't actually make a Magneto movie, there's got to be something else they could do after this.
Rated 06 Aug 2017
Zippy, with plenty of style and character, this film saved the X-Men franchise from oblivion, all thanks to Vaughn's strength not just as a director but for attracting talent.
Rated 29 Jun 2011
Knock-a-bout action cape that occasionally touches on issues of race, slavery and alienation. Occasionally cheesey dialogue and the odd wooden performance don't detract from an overall good piece of work. One of the better comic book movies of recent years.