Any way to recalculate tiers?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
Xenophule
355 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Any way to recalculate tiers?

Post by Xenophule »

I was doing a rating system of 1-10 and having 11 be a rare, top tier.
I realized this was messing with my tiers, so I knocked all the 11s down to 10
But now all my 10s are still at Tier 9

Question: is there any way to manually recalculate my tiers now?
Last edited by Xenophule on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Re: Any way to recalculate tiers?

Post by mpowell »

Tiers should be recalculating every time you rate a film.

Xenophule
355 Ratings

Post by Xenophule »

I thought the same!
If that's true, I seem to no longer have a Tier 10

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

I took a look at your rankings, and it's actually working as expected.

Tiers are "percentiles", and they don't necessarily map to rankings as you might expect.

For example, you have 205 rankings. Criticker's going to try and split those into 10 "percentile" groups, each with an even number of rankings, or about 20 films apiece. You rank films on a scale of 1-10. But your scores of 1, 2, 3, 4 together only number 17 films. These are the films in your bottom 10 percentile, or "Tier 1". Now, there are only 6 possible scores (5-10) to split up between the remaining nine percentile groups. And that's why tiers seem to disappear. It would be mathematically incorrect to say that your score of "4" is in the 4th tier (or 40th percentile), because it's not. It's actually in the bottom 10% of your rankings.

I do understand how confusing it is, almost to the point of being misleading. We really need to make this more clear, as it's the number one question/concern users have.

BadCosmonaut
4388 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

mpowell wrote:

Would the recommendation engine be more accurate if the system forced 10 tiers for users who use at least 10 different scores to rate a movie? (e.g. if a user rates a movie either a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10)

In other words, users who use a 10 point scale (or greater) would always have all 10 tiers. Only users with a grading scale less than 10 points would have less than 10 tiers. For example, a 5 point scale would have 5 tiers.

Have you tested the recommendation engine to see which way is more accurate? I'm no expert, but I can't see how forcing 10 tiers (for users described above) would make the engine less accurate than it already is. At worst it seems like it would be equally accurate. At best, more accurate.

BadCosmonaut
4388 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

BadCosmonaut wrote:...would make the engine less accurate than it already is...

After I made this post, I realized someone could read this quote and think I meant the current engine is inaccurate. That's not what I meant. I do think the engine is pretty accurate, more than any other I've found online. What I meant by the quote was I don't think it would be less accurate (compared to now).

Xenophule
355 Ratings

Post by Xenophule »

mpowell wrote:These are the films in your bottom 10 percentile, or "Tier 1". Now, there are only 6 possible scores (5-10) to split up between the remaining nine percentile groups. And that's why tiers seem to disappear. It would be mathematically incorrect to say that your score of "4" is in the 4th tier (or 40th percentile), because it's not. It's actually in the bottom 10% of your rankings.

Thanks for the explanation :)
I do understand that, though
And it's not the middle tiers that I'm worried about
Or even the lowest ones
It's the top ones

I'm using a scale of 1-10
The movies I've rated 10 are Tier 9
This made sense when I was rating 1-11, but since I got rid of 11 none of the tiers changed
So even if I rate something a 10, I will not have any movies in Tier 10 anymore

I'm thinking the only way to correct this is to export my ratings, delete, then import again.
[EDIT] And I just found out that the only thing you can import is IMDB ratings, not Criticker ones. Dang.