The Disappearance of Critic Reviews

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Disappearance of Critic Reviews

Post by mpowell »

It pains us to announce the removal of one of Criticker's cooler features - summary critic reviews and scores. The site from which we had been getting this data has decided to start charging us a monthly amount, which by itself is far more than what Criticker earns. That information is their copyright, so we have to either pay up or remove the data -- sadly, the only option available to us is the latter.

Starting tomorrow, February 11th, 2008, you won't be able to find summary critic reviews or scores on Criticker. We're looking into alternative ways of reproducing this data, but so far haven't had any luck (if you have any ideas, we're all ears). All of our film information is staying in place, and your scores and reviews won't be affected.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. This has been frustrating for us, but we don't really have a choice. And, thanks again for using Criticker -- you guys have really made this site a wonderful, and unique place on the internet.

TheAlliance
1750 Ratings

Re: The Disappearance of Critic Reviews

Post by TheAlliance »

Sure..i clicked on it once or twice, but i never really used that part of your site. I never really agree with a certain critic anyway, perhaps a couple of movies but definitely not all (80+ percent). Why keep track of his/her scores then? When you have 10.000 users with a possible similar taste like you..

I won't lose sleep over this ;)

If there isn't an alternative... i think you'll have loads of time for general improvements instead of copy/pasting reviews all the time.

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Same here, I never looked at those scores and reviews. I'm much more interested in other users opinions/ratings. Waste not, want not....

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Critics will be missed, but then again they were simply another feature and nothing more. I checked them out once in a while, but never really cared for them - I think my best PSI with a critic was over 1.4, so really I didn't care.
It sad to have to leave the critics out, but it could be worse. As TheAlliance said, I will be sleeping tonight with or without this feature.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

the best critics are on the site as users anyway, so i couldn't really give a damn. the critic psis were always without fail less accurate than the user psis.

by the way kbg, my best tci for a user is over 1.4 :o i think my best tci for a critic was approaching 2

cambel
5100 Ratings

Post by cambel »

That sucks for me. I've cared some writers v.v. much. In fact the first thing I have been doing was to check those writers and read their comments...

but anyway, there's nothing you can do, I understand the situation. It's not difficult to reach those and thanks to you I've discovered some critics. :)

Zaltys
1207 Ratings

Post by Zaltys »

Unfortunate.
I have rather eccentric tastes in movies. My lowest TCIs were among the critics, and their predicted ratings always were far more accurate than those of the users...

Ah well, if there's nothing you can do about it, I guess I'll just have to cope with it.

CCLZA
3806 Ratings

Post by CCLZA »

cambelboy wrote:That sucks for me. I've cared some writers v.v. much. In fact the first thing I have been doing was to check those writers and read their comments...

but anyway, there's nothing you can do, I understand the situation. It's not difficult to reach those and thanks to you I've discovered some critics. :)
Yeah, me too. I found out my tastes are similar to Ty Burr's, for example. But he was the only one that mattered to me, the rest were low on the TCIs. I don't think this is ognna be a major letdown for everyone. Most of the critics whose scores were submitted had around 200-300 reviews, which isn't significant enough.

Keep on the good work!

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Luckily I don't care that much. I read reviews of dozens of movies and found out that no critic has even close movie taste to me. I don't know about others but I know a few users here and just look for their ratings. TCI scores are much better and useful than a critic's review for me. :)

CitizenX
1560 Ratings

Post by CitizenX »

critics are still in starred reviews ;)