Rating Scale

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
ntutak
33 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Rating Scale

Post by ntutak »

Hi everyone - I'm new to the site and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use the 0-100 rating system. First of all, the huge range makes it difficult to rate movies. The real problem is that the criticker scale seems way off to me - for example, when I give a move a 75 it translates that as "terrible". That doesn't make sense to me on a 0-100 scale. Wouldn't a 50 be an average movie and terrible be somewhere left of 50?

What do you all do?

td888
3955 Ratings

Re: Rating Scale

Post by td888 »

Basically you need to rank more movies (also the bad ones you saw).

See this post by Anomaly1 for a small explanation of the Tier system:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2769&p=27787

If you have more questions, fire away...

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

The issue is that right now you haven't ranked any movie lower than a 75. The default "quips" (terrible, etc.) aren't based on a number, they're based on your tiers. So the system sees that a movie is the lowest you've ranked, and assumes you think it's terrible.

There are two solutions here. One are custom quips, where you go to your profile and tell the system what your rankings mean (70-80 = pretty good, or something like that). Or, you can stick with the original system, and just rank all the worst movies you've ever seen, to give Criticker the proper context for what a 75 means. I would suggest that, because not having any really bad movies ranked is also going to throw off your recommendations as well. Just keep ranking movies and it will sort itself out. Maybe start with the Star Wars prequels, Matrix sequels, and any of the Fill-in-the-Blank Movie parodies.

jaci222
0 Ratings

Post by jaci222 »

If you want 1-5, then just position it 1-5. If you want the complete granularity, use 1-100. Levels are the normalization procedure of criticker methods.you can keep with the unique system.

Ross8992
119 Ratings

Post by Ross8992 »

I agree that there's something amiss with the tier system. I try to avoid seeing bad films, so most of the ones I see are worth at least a 70, but this is classified as a low tier. Presumably this undermines the value of the matching and the recommendations, which are based on the tier classification, not the number score. I like the general idea (though I'd be just as happy to be matched to a critic or critics), but I think someone needs to rethink the execution.

ethaniel
85 Ratings

Post by ethaniel »

I rank movies from 0 to 100.
Now I've noticed that 99 gives a "Not that hot" tier and 100 gives a "Decent" tier.
I'm sick and tired.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ethaniel wrote:I rank movies from 0 to 100.
Now I've noticed that 99 gives a "Not that hot" tier and 100 gives a "Decent" tier.
I'm sick and tired.

You can either adjust your colours and quips manually via your profile or you can be more critical of the movies you see. If you give 100 to two thirds of the films you watch then of course you're going to fuck up your tiers.