How is the score/tier/import from imdb system working?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
mathiasa
5064 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How is the score/tier/import from imdb system working?

Post by mathiasa »

Thanks for all the replies!

PeaceAnarchy wrote:I think you have a misunderstanding of how tiers work. You'll never get scores to match up to tiers the way you want because tiers are simply percentiles. 10%(approx due to rounding) of your ratings will be tier 1, 10% in tier 2 etc. Just make sure the scores match up to what you want, and fix the quips colours to match what ratings mean to you. The tiers work themselves out on their own.

Your scores should have a fixed meaning to you, tiers will float slightly over time but you have 2000 ratings so they probably won't drift too far from here on out unless you drastically change your viewing patterns.

So in every tier I should have about the same amount of movies, right? But in Tier 10 I have about three times as much as in Tier 9 and in Tier 8 I have about twice as much as in Tier 10.

mathiasa
5064 Ratings

Post by mathiasa »

From what I can tell, if you have no ratings it imports 1 to 10, 2 to 20, etc. But if you already have ratings on criticker it imports 1 to tier 1, 2 to tier 2, etc.

If I import from imdb, the movies get both applied to a tier and they get a score. I'm still totally lost how this works. I just imported all the movies I watched since I made this thread, one of them was bunuel's la voice lactee: http://www.criticker.com/film/The_Milky_Way_1969/
On IMDB i gave it a 9 - criticker put in in tier 9 and, ooooooh, wait, no, ok, that's just what you told me. Fuck my brain. Anyway. Criticker also sets a score of 84. How does this happen? Why not 86? Ironically, 84 is what I would give the movie, but how does it know?

----
Is there a way to reset all my rating and do a fresh imdb import?

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

mathiasa wrote:So in every tier I should have about the same amount of movies, right? But in Tier 10 I have about three times as much as in Tier 9 and in Tier 8 I have about twice as much as in Tier 10.

Because of rounding. Criticker won't split movies with the same score. It's how some people end up missing tiers entirely. For example, lets say you've ranked 100 movies, give 15 of them 10, 2 of them 9 and 20 of them 8. Then the algorithm will end up separating them.

mathiasa wrote:
From what I can tell, if you have no ratings it imports 1 to 10, 2 to 20, etc. But if you already have ratings on criticker it imports 1 to tier 1, 2 to tier 2, etc.

If I import from imdb, the movies get both applied to a tier and they get a score. I'm still totally lost how this works. I just imported all the movies I watched since I made this thread, one of them was bunuel's la voice lactee: http://www.criticker.com/film/The_Milky_Way_1969/
On IMDB i gave it a 9 - criticker put in in tier 9 and, ooooooh, wait, no, ok, that's just what you told me. Fuck my brain. Anyway. Criticker also sets a score of 84. How does this happen? Why not 86? Ironically, 84 is what I would give the movie, but how does it know?

Criticker makes up a score for each tier (maybe the avg of each tier? I'm not entirely sure) and applies that on second import. Of course it uses the info from before importing, so things may shift after you import. I don't know exactly what the algorithm is, just my observations.

Is there a way to reset all my rating and do a fresh imdb import?
At the very bottom of your profile page there's a link that says "Reset all your rankings by clicking here"

mathiasa
5064 Ratings

Post by mathiasa »

I'm beginning to understand! Thanks for the explanations, PeaceAnarchy, and thanks for Tier Splitting algorithm, movieboy.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Would this issue be avoided entirely if every time you wanted to import ratings from imdb, you would delete all your criticker ratings and then import all the imdb ratings? This would keep them on a 10 point scale, and you would lose nothing and wouldn't have to mess with batch editing or whatever else.

Or am I wrong?

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Would this issue be avoided entirely if every time you wanted to import ratings from imdb, you would delete all your criticker ratings and then import all the imdb ratings? This would keep them on a 10 point scale, and you would lose nothing and wouldn't have to mess with batch editing or whatever else.

Or am I wrong?

yes, but that assumes you want to delete your criticker ratings. obviously some people have some films on criticker which they don't have on imdb.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Ah. Well I thought every movie on criticker was also on imdb, since in order to submit a movie to criticker it has to also be on imdb:

http://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1695

I could see some movies slipping through the cracks though. Do you (or anyone) know of an example?

TheSaberfool
1131 Ratings

Post by TheSaberfool »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Ah. Well I thought every movie on criticker was also on imdb, since in order to submit a movie to criticker it has to also be on imdb:

http://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1695

I could see some movies slipping through the cracks though. Do you (or anyone) know of an example?

You are correct, I'm pretty sure that lisagirl meant that people had movies rated here that they didn't on IMDB and therefore wouldn't want to lose that info by deleting/importing.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Ah, sometimes I am dumb.