Criticker for Youtube?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker for Youtube?

Post by ShogunRua »

AgostoMesmer wrote:On reflection 'balls' was perhaps too strong a word, it's far from Criticker though.

As usual, Agosto is talking about something he knows absolutely nothing about. Since this is fairly close to some of the research and work I have done, let me explain for those curious.

Building a good recommendation algorithm is a complicated, cutting-edge applied science problem that has had many millions of dollars poured into it. While Criticker is excellent and impressive for what it is, there is literally no way that something built by two programmers in their spare time can compete with something DOZENS of Google employees work on full-time.

I would be the equivalent of a 5 year-old child beating up 3 normal adults in a fight at the same time.

Youtube's recommendation system is very, very good. It's on a professional level.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

ShogunRua wrote:As usual, Agosto is talking about something he knows absolutely nothing about. Since this is fairly close to some of the research and work I have done, let me explain for those curious.

Building a good recommendation algorithm is a complicated, cutting-edge applied science problem that has had many millions of dollars poured into it. While Criticker is excellent and impressive for what it is, there is literally no way that something built by two programmers in their spare time can compete with something DOZENS of Google employees work on full-time.

I would be the equivalent of a 5 year-old child beating up 3 normal adults in a fight at the same time.

Youtube's recommendation system is very, very good. It's on a professional level.

That's some real economist thinking right there.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

AgostoMesmer wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:As usual, Agosto is talking about something he knows absolutely nothing about. Since this is fairly close to some of the research and work I have done, let me explain for those curious.

That's some real economist thinking right there.

No, it's computer science thinking. Feel free to ask mpowell and see what he says.

Ocelot
2307 Ratings

Post by Ocelot »

I expected this topic to be about including certain YouTube videos on Criticker, and I was going to agree. If Criticker allows short films, the only distinction between them and YouTube videos is official distribution, and in 2014 YouTube is certainly ingrained enough in our culture to house some great stuff. I've been thinking about submitting the RedLetterMedia Plinkett reviews for Criticker, and I'm sure there's other, similar stuff worth looking into!

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Ocelot wrote:I expected this topic to be about including certain YouTube videos on Criticker, and I was going to agree. If Criticker allows short films, the only distinction between them and YouTube videos is official distribution, and in 2014 YouTube is certainly ingrained enough in our culture to house some great stuff. I've been thinking about submitting the RedLetterMedia Plinkett reviews for Criticker, and I'm sure there's other, similar stuff worth looking into!

If they're popular enough they can be submitted to imdb, and from there to criticker. I know I've seen several around.

LyleChipason
116 Ratings

Post by LyleChipason »

we could call it YouCriticker !