Criticker for Youtube?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
ThomasJ
148 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker for Youtube?

Post by ThomasJ »

One thing I have been wondering about lately..

I love to Watch Youtube clips from time to time. Would a system like criticker Work for Youtube? Would the dataset simply be to large? (thousands of clips are uploaded daily)

Youtube already got a recommender but its very simple and based on recommend "video B" if you have liked "video A".

You would probably need a large userbase with such large dataset though.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Criticker for Youtube?

Post by ShogunRua »

Aside from the problems of millions upon millions of videos, some of which get periodically removed, how exactly would one rate videos? How does one rate a Youtube video of a song? Or the same song uploaded in 30 different Youtube videos, with slightly different backgrounds and/or levels of quality? How does one rate a trailer for a video game? Or a speedrun of that video game? And how would my ratings be beneficial to someone who wasn't into videogame speedruns or the particular bands I'm into?

But hey, if you want to set something like this up, by all means!

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

ShogunRua wrote:How does one rate a trailer for a video game? Or a speedrun of that video game?

Well if the speedrunner is any good at all you give it a 100 because some of the shit they do is amazing.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:How does one rate a trailer for a video game? Or a speedrun of that video game?

Well if the speedrunner is any good at all you give it a 100 because some of the shit they do is amazing.

Yeah, but what do you give a 33:41 run of Super Castlevania 4 (amazing, and was the world record as recently as last December) when the current world record is an insane 32:56? While they're both phenomenal, the latter is better by a large margin, in every way. Surely, they're not both 100?

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

ShogunRua wrote:And how would my ratings be beneficial to someone who wasn't into videogame speedruns or the particular bands I'm into?
They wouldn't. But that would be the point. Someone who rates those similarly would get more speedrun and music recs from you and someone who doesn't wouldn't get a recommendation from you.

With the speed at which youtube uploads appear I think the only way this would work is if it was run by google so people would rate right on youtube and get recs directly from the site.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

at the very least there are a lot of awesome mini-movies on youtube that aren't going to get mentioned otherwise.

like this

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

PeaceAnarchy wrote:With the speed at which youtube uploads appear I think the only way this would work is if it was run by google so people would rate right on youtube and get recs directly from the site.

Uhu. Not only that but, any external recommendation engine -on gaining traction- would likely be blocked and/or it's features replicated 'within' the YouTube/Googles.

I'm with you OP in that their recommendation engine at present is balls. With them moving into VOD and showing more TV content now I expect their game to be raised though.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

If their recommendations engine is so awful why do I end up wasting five hours of my life every time I go there? They better not improve it, for the love of productivity.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Actually, Youtube's recommendation engine is pretty damn good. I almost invariably find enjoyable new content through their features.

In fact, almost every huge site with a bunch of money and talented employees has an excellent recommendation algorithm. Netflix is another example. They offered a million dollar reward to anyone that can could come up with a superior algorithm several years ago, and I'm consistently impressed by how closely it predicts my scores. (Granted, it's easier to do on a 5 star scale)

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

On reflection 'balls' was perhaps too strong a word, it's far from Criticker though.

Never tried Netflix for recommendations or anything else, until first-world broadband speeds reach me there seems little point in signing up.